PDA

View Full Version : Guys, lets just chill...

NDSUstudent
09-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Here are the facts, we are 2-2 and have lost close games on the road in venues our opponents have a history of success in. The team never gave in, they battled to end through a lot of adversity.

Now we have 2 games in our house, where we dominate. We get our MLB back and in our scheme that is a key position. Roehl will also be nearing 100% and Paschall should be healing up as well.

It is way too early in the season to go into panic mode, questions should be asked but it isn't time to give up on anybody. Our goals can still be had, we just need to buckle down and get back to having fun.

silkamilkamonico
09-22-2008, 05:23 PM
How many more teams in the conference are spread teams?

I hope we don't face another spread team the rest of the year.

Swany
09-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Finally, thank you! To see so many "fans" press the panic button after the first FCS loss of the year is laughable.

To call for a new qb, etc., is flat out football ignorance. Nick is a good qb, he'll be fine, we'll be fine. Even after the int's we continued to throw the ball and he continued to make plays. We did not limit our playbook after the picks. Those of you who think we need to simplify probably don't understand football. Do you think the coaches and players are fretting over this and losing as much sleep as some of the "fans" on this board.

Bad news, we lost one game on the road. Good news, most, if not all, of what happened Saturday is correctable. We are still a team that is very capable of doing some great things this year.

Until then, deep breath, ahhh, there we go. See you at homecoming :hungry:

SDbison
09-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Well, 2 losses over a 2 week span as compared to 2 losses over past 2 years is a big deal. I think another factor is how well the Bison did when they were not playoff elligible and now there is pressure to perform at, or near the same level. So far this Bison team has not beat a quality opponent. We are questioning this capability as fans.....nothing wrong with that. We will see how Bison do at home for the next two games.....then see if they can win on the road. If Bison win the next four games I say they are back in the saddle. Anything less will mean only a chance for the playoffs and no homefield.
Had the Bison finished off that game at Wyoming and won I think they would be 4-0 right now. The mistakes and lack of execution ballooned at an inopertune time. My thoughts are the Bison as a whole have to regroup, focus on basics and get into a groove of better overall performances. This goes for the players and coaches. I am not only disappointed by the players mistakes, but also the lack of defensive adjustments and running of plays that work by Bison coaches.
As fans we have the right to get a little worked up, question things and then after a period of time get fired up for the next game. It's all good!

tcbison
09-22-2008, 05:45 PM
I would have to look through the predictions tread but a lot of people thought that NDSU would lose at YSU. To me the Wyoming loss hurts but it is not that big of deal considering almost no FCS team beat a FBS team this year.

I believe the offense will do better at home and that includes the QB play. To go on the road for a FBS game and the first conference game is not an easy task.

The biggest improvement needs to come from the run defense. YSU passed for only 101 yards and 46 of those came on the first play of the game. We can't afford to get run over like that against anyone.

SDbison
09-22-2008, 05:55 PM
I would have to look through the predictions tread but a lot of people thought that NDSU would lose at YSU. To me the Wyoming loss hurts but it is not that big of deal considering almost no FCS team beat a FBS team this year.

I believe the offense will do better at home and that includes the QB play. To go on the road for a FBS game and the first conference game is not an easy task.

The biggest improvement needs to come from the run defense. YSU passed for only 101 yards and 46 of those came on the first play of the game. We can't afford to get run over like that against anyone.
If the offense turns the ball over 3 or 4 times a game it might not matter how well the Defense does.........

NDSUFREAK
09-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Finally, thank you! To see so many "fans" press the panic button after the first FCS loss of the year is laughable.

To call for a new qb, etc., is flat out football ignorance. Nick is a good qb, he'll be fine, we'll be fine. Even after the int's we continued to throw the ball and he continued to make plays. We did not limit our playbook after the picks. Those of you who think we need to simplify probably don't understand football. Do you think the coaches and players are fretting over this and losing as much sleep as some of the "fans" on this board.

Bad news, we lost one game on the road. Good news, most, if not all, of what happened Saturday is correctable. We are still a team that is very capable of doing some great things this year.

Until then, deep breath, ahhh, there we go. See you at homecoming :hungry:
so a person questions the team and players and now we are "fans" :banghead: try to find a better way to describe it. we're all fans on here. there are no "fans"

BisonNeil
09-22-2008, 07:21 PM
so a person questions the team and players and now we are "fans" :banghead: try to find a better way to describe it. we're all fans on here. there are no "fans"

That's not true and you know it. To be a true fan you must wear rose-colored glasses and drink kool aid all day long, that's all there is to it. It's all very simple really :)

GradBison
09-22-2008, 08:21 PM
I was one of the people who predicted an 8-3 season. I think it's the way the two losses happened that's causing fans to panic.

How many more teams in the conference are spread teams?

I hope we don't face another spread team the rest of the year.

That's my biggest question. We've been having trouble with the spread for the last 3 years.

I don't get how we let YSU run all over us like that. I remember the Spring game, the defense stopped the run. Someone here commented "no one should run over our defense, including our own offense". That's what I don't get. I'm not questioning, it's just something that obviously needs to be addressed.

Last thought: the team is night and day with and without Roehl.

NDSUstudent
09-23-2008, 01:17 AM
Guys, you are my missing point. Step back and take a look at everything and not get so caught up on one horrible game. We were practically a MASH unit against YSU and still hung with them through the entire game, at the end of that game we were playing a guy who started fall camp a week before the season started and another guy who was a walk-on at MLB and OLB.

Hallstrom has said we get everyone back for SIU, and Roehl will be a 100%. If we lose that game, then lets be very concerned but until then all I ask is not be so narrow minded about one game. Put things into perspective a little bit, and take the good with bad.

Yeah, Neil that means you can be a little negative but we didn't lose each game 100-0, some things went right and some things were just out of our control. But it is way too early for this place to turn into the dark cloud you live most of your life under.

Bisonguy
09-23-2008, 01:25 AM
Guys, you are my missing point. Step back and take a look at everything and not get so caught up on one horrible game. We were practically a MASH unit against YSU and still hung with them through the entire game, at the end of that game we were playing a guy who started fall camp a week before the season started and another guy who was a walk-on at MLB and OLB.

Hallstrom has said we get everyone back for SIU, and Roehl will be a 100%. If we lose that game, then lets be very concerned but until then all I ask is not be so narrow minded about one game. Put things into perspective a little bit, and take the good with bad.

Yeah, Neil that means you can be a little negative but we didn't lose each game 100-0, some things went right and some things were just out of our control. But it is way too early for this place to turn into the dark cloud you live most of your life under.

They're not getting EVERYONE back- Belmont and Blincoe won't be returning to action. :nod:

CaBisonFan
09-23-2008, 01:25 AM
That's not true and you know it. To be a true fan you must wear rose-colored glasses and drink kool aid all day long, that's all there is to it. It's all very simple really :)

Neil

We need to wear glasses.

First observation?

Young people played a bad game. Young people who played the bad game know it more than we do. Coaches know it even better.

SDbison
09-23-2008, 01:30 AM

NDSUstudent take a chill pill yourself. 99.568% of us here realize our opinions mean crap to the team and coaches. We are just trying to make sense out of all this misfortune. Are the injuries really the cause of the problem? Is Mertens good passing skill demoted by his uncanny ability to throw interceptions (i.e. is this mostly bad / beginner luck or will this crop up throughout the season) and how about that Bison Defense? They can stop YSU for no gain, in fact a loss at the beginning of the game at the 6 inch line, but is porous as hell for the rest. Most of us saw the big victories against nobodies at the start of the season but there were still issues then. How good is this team really? I ask questions, raise concerns because I want to hear rebuttle with facts.......not just some crap about support your team and everything will be OK. I have revised some of my thoughts since Sunday, but I still have concerns. Nothing wrong about discussing it as fans on this board. Give me a break!

NDSUstudent
09-23-2008, 01:33 AM
They're not getting EVERYONE back- Belmont and Blincoe won't be returning to action. :nod:

Yeah, it is really a shame we lost those guys. Hopefully, the can come back strong next year because we'll need a lot from both.

NDSUstudent
09-23-2008, 01:50 AM
NDSUstudent take a chill pill yourself. 99.568% of us here realize our opinions mean crap to the team and coaches. We are just trying to make sense out of all this misfortune. Are the injuries really the cause of the problem? Is Mertens good passing skill demoted by his uncanny ability to throw interceptions (i.e. is this mostly bad / beginner luck or will this crop up throughout the season) and how about that Bison Defense? They can stop YSU for no gain, in fact a loss at the beginning of the game at the 6 inch line, but is porous as hell for the rest. Most of us saw the big victories against nobodies at the start of the season but there were still issues then. How good is this team really? I ask questions, raise concerns because I want to hear rebuttle with facts.......not just some crap about support your team and everything will be OK. I have revised some of my thoughts since Sunday, but I still have concerns. Nothing wrong about discussing it as fans on this board. Give me a break!

I just asked to keep things into perspective, not turn into a bunch of kool-aid drinking homers. Do people read what I write? I never said anything about the coaches or players. I said take the good with bad.

Has Mertens done some bad things? Yes, but he also made some nice plays and shown a lot of ability. If we ever can establish the run against a team we will be fine, running the ball is what we have thrived on in the past few years. If the Bison can get the ground game going, it will be a long day for the team on the other sideline. There will come a time when Mertens will need to make a play but not to the point where he has had to do in the past 6 quarters.

As for injuries, we run a defensive scheme that relies a lot on linebackers and at the end of that YSU game we were running out two third stringers. It is fair to have concerns about our rush defense but again lets keep things into perspective. It was one game, hardly a trend. Lets see what this team does at full strength before getting too up in arms.