PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Questions

GOB1SON
09-21-2008, 02:53 PM
There has been A LOT of dissatisfaction over several coaching decisions from the last couple of weeks.

I love the coaches and think that we are fortunate to have the staff we have.

That being said, I too have sat through the games and wondered if that was the best call.

1) There have been a number of folks here that have questioned the last play last night.

2) The screen pass that turned into an interception.

3) I wonder why we don't use out RB speed to get outside more?

Add to these and then let's hash this out instead of sniping in other threads.

BisonNeil
09-21-2008, 03:42 PM
There has been A LOT of dissatisfaction over several coaching decisions from the last couple of weeks.

I love the coaches and think that we are fortunate to have the staff we have.

That being said, I too have sat through the games and wondered if that was the best call.

1) There have been a number of folks here that have questioned the last play last night.

2) The screen pass that turned into an interception.

3) I wonder why we don't use out RB speed to get outside more?

Add to these and then let's hash this out instead of sniping in other threads.

Please see below for my view on things:

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13864

To me the biggest coaching question is who is going to coach up Mertens? We have a QB coach, but he played TE. Do the Bison really have anyone who can get this guy prepared to play? I don't know, I am asking.

Run defense is perhaps a larger issue, however.

A1pigskin
09-21-2008, 04:25 PM
I think we all have a lot of questions. We always know the answer after the fact. With all the interceptions my confidence was really low to throw more.

SlickVic
09-22-2008, 02:48 AM
Please see below for my view on things:

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13864

To me the biggest coaching question is who is going to coach up Mertens? We have a QB coach, but he played TE. Do the Bison really have anyone who can get this guy prepared to play? I don't know, I am asking.

Run defense is perhaps a larger issue, however.

we have one of the top 25 college coaching staffs in the country and theres no doubt about it i mean my oh my take a pill neil...nystrom has to be one of the best linebacker coaches in the country at any level willie macks the man dont really know terrance samual but he seems pretty slick perles and polasek how can you possibley question them?

heckler
09-22-2008, 02:59 AM
We have some great coaches that I wouldn't change but I think it's ok to question some of their decision making. Of course it is easier to question the coaching decisions after a game but I like the pass call for some reason. I thought it was going to be a run. Questioning coaches is just apart of the game. I even think they questioned some of their play calling. I think all the Bison fans on Bisonville love the coach we have and wouldn't want to lose him so maybe Bohl getting acouple loses isn't such a bad thing. I didn't vote for our coach to be coach of the year (yet) because I don't think he is deserving of it at this point in the year. Last year I believe he did. It is too early in the year to tell and of course I got bashed by some posters who can't lay off the koolaid.

56BISON73
09-22-2008, 03:00 AM

we have one of the top 25 college coaching staffs in the country and theres no doubt about it i mean my oh my take a pill neil...nystrom has to be one of the best linebacker coaches in the country at any level willie macks the man dont really know terrance samual but he seems pretty slick perles and polasek how can you possibley question them?

Slick what good is the linebacker coach going to have on Mertens????:confused:
PL

GOB1SON
09-22-2008, 03:03 AM
I posted this because there were a lot of coaching questions coming up in other threads and I think this is a real topic that can be discussed.

Why can't we defend the run out of the spread? Why can't we adjust to that? I know there is a reason that it is the most popular college offensive out there right now, but if we somehow make the playoffs and we end up playing an east coast team that runs the spread, it will be over before it starts.

Or can NOBODY defend it when it is run well and that is why it works (Missouri, App State, etc...) I find that hard to believe.

SlickVic
09-22-2008, 03:04 AM
Slick what good is the linebacker coach going to have on Mertens????:confused:
PL

vigens a excellent coach and a excellent recruiter just because he played tight end doesnt mean he cant coach mertens all be just fine

Bisonguy
09-22-2008, 03:05 AM
Didn't Central Michigan run the spread?

heckler
09-22-2008, 03:06 AM
I posted this because there were a lot of coaching questions coming up in other threads and I think this is a real topic that can be discussed.

Why can't we defend the run out of the spread? Why can't we adjust to that? I know there is a reason that it is the most popular college offensive out there right now, but if we somehow make the playoffs and we end up playing an east coast team that runs the spread, it will be over before it starts.

Or can NOBODY defend it when it is run well and that is why it works (Missouri, App State, etc...) I find that hard to believe.

Correct me if I am wrong but someone said here on bisonville that defenses are typically 2 - 5 years behind the offense? I don't know if it is true or not but it makes sense.

56BISON73
09-22-2008, 03:12 AM
vigens a excellent coach and a excellent recruiter just because he played tight end doesnt mean he cant coach mertens all be just fine

Just because he played tight end and is a good recruiter doesnt mean hes a good QB coach. Why you would bring recuiting into the mix as part of the answer is funny. So what experience does he have coaching QBs??? All will be just fine isnt going to make it as an answer.:D
PL

SlickVic
09-22-2008, 03:17 AM
Just because he played tight end and is a good recruiter doesnt mean hes a good QB coach. Why you would bring recuiting into the mix as part of the answer is funny. So what experience does he have coaching QBs??? All will be just fine isnt going to make it as an answer.:D
PL

who was the QB coach when walker was playing?

56BISON73
09-22-2008, 03:20 AM
who was the QB coach when walker was playing?
Who????
PL

GOB1SON
09-22-2008, 03:22 AM
Didn't Central Michigan run the spread?

They do run the spread. It may have been the only time we did an adequate job defending it, but as folks here will remember, they ran all over us the first quarter. The QB had a number of big gains, but we turned them over with a pick (remember) and we got a lead and they abandoned the run, instead relying on their highly touted QB to throw them back into the game.

SlickVic
09-22-2008, 03:23 AM
Who????
PL

.....WTF?????

BisonFB
09-22-2008, 05:16 PM
It all made sense to me Vic...I don't think PL picked up on your sarcasm.

Bison_Backer
09-22-2008, 06:50 PM
One problem is the west coast offense uses the pass to get outisde, either by timing or crossing routes. Adding the pitch play as a staple to our offense might be away to get the speedy Running backs to the outisde and ut them in space.

GOB1SON
09-22-2008, 07:19 PM
One problem is the west coast offense uses the pass to get outisde, either by timing or crossing routes. Adding the pitch play as a staple to our offense might be away to get the speedy Running backs to the outisde and ut them in space.

I've been wondering about that too, especially the first three games with Paschall. Seems like they have the speedy, elusive guy busting up the middle a lot. I would have thought that he would be best around the end on sweeps or maybe on a draw? Let him use his elusiveness instead of just putting his nose into the pile and pushing. Just my two cents. And it would seem like maybe this would be better for DJ too?