PDA

View Full Version : Post Youngstown thoughts......

WYOBISONMAN
09-21-2008, 04:14 AM
Wow, all day flying and another heart breaking loss.....:smh: Just a few thoughts before some of you throw Mertens to the wolves....

This loss was a team effort.

1) Arm tackles do not work. Where was our defensive line in stopping the run? We have got to improve that.

2) After Roehl got into the game it really opened up. How different would have it been if Roehl would have started? Who knows, but it is an interesting thought...

3) Penalties are still killing us.

4) We seem to have a bit of a "red zone" problem. This problem is related to #3 above at times.

5) Yes, Mertens is still making some stupid throws and no question that 4 interceptions per game is unacceptable, but geez....remember this is only the kid's 4th start.

6) Hopefully this bye week will heal the team up both physically and emotionally. They have to play with more intensity. I noticed at the end of the 4th quarter, Bohl himself had to go over to the bench and get the players up to cheer the Herd on during the last drive.....they should have already been up....Bohl shouldn't have to tell them to get up!

All in all, another team loss. When I watched the 1st half here at Y-town, it was like a continuation of the 2nd half from Laramie....we were BAD!

Hoss
09-21-2008, 04:15 AM
1. Tackling, nuff said
2. Mertens need to see the field better, and not telegraph his passes
3. MLB
4. Rhythm, need to get it going earlier
5. Maybe too early, but Shamen isn't Shamen

BisoninNWMN
09-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Wow, all day flying and another heart breaking loss.....:smh: Just a few thoughts before some of you throw Mertens to the wolves....

1) Arm tackles do not work. Where was our defensive line in stopping the run? We have got to improve that.

2) After Roehl got into the game it really opened up. How different would have it been if Roehl would have started? Who knows, but it is an interesting thought...

4) We seem to have a bit of a "red zone" problem. This problem is related to #3 above at times.

5) Yes, Mertens is still making some stupid throws and no question that 4 interceptions per game is unacceptable, but geez....remember this is only the kid's 4th start.

6) Hopefully this bye week will heal the team up both physically and emotionally. They have to play with more intensity. I noticed at the end of the 4th quarter, Bohl himself had to go over to the bench and get the players up to cheer the Herd on during the last drive.....they should have already been up....Bohl shouldn't have to tell them to get up!

All in all, another team loss. When I watched the 1st half here at Y-town, it was like a continuation of the 2nd half from Laramie....we were BAD!

Good analysis....run defense was pathetic....everyone in conference will take notice

1bizon1
09-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Alot of this team needs to be apologizing to Diesel today. He's walking the sidelines last night trying to fire them up and they just stand there.

The play call on the last int was nothing short of the worst call I've seen by the Herd since babich was here.

Defense and kick coverage suck, period!

Right now how can anyone even think about the second season.....

BeckerBison
09-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Defensive line play was not good. They were completely over matched or over schemed by Youngstown. I got sick and tired of seeing Youngstown run the ball. This was our first game in the Missouri Valley and most of these teams have a reputation of smash mouth - run the ball offense. D-Line play needs to change.

Also, Mertons is no Walker and probably never will be. He is a good player but does not have the magic and refuse to lose attitude. Not many teams will win when the quarterback throws four interceptions.

Roehl is a man among boys and an absolute stud.

NWNDBison
09-21-2008, 12:49 PM

Bison will be alright, I think. I think they were shocked by how good Youngstown really is and maybe by how porous their run defense is.

I guess it took awhile for Youngstown to gel as a team. Too bad it happened with the Bison. Apparently a QB change was just what they needed and there happened to be an excellent one waiting on the sidelines.

Who knows what happened at the SDSU game. But I doubt that SDSU would be 33 points better if the game were played now. No matter what the Bison coaches said, no matter what the Bison players knew in their hearts was the right attitude to go into the game, they must have thought Youngstown was going to be a relatively easy win. That would explain their flatness coming out. Perhaps the prevailing team attitude was that it was a rather ho-hum game. They may have been much more worried about upcoming games with teams who have proven themselves tough in the early going.

This game was more important to Youngstown than they let on. Reading story on their website, player comments indicated they knew this was their one best chance to redeem themselves and get into the rankings. Seems like they practiced with a determined vengeance all week. Don't think that happened with the Bison. But it will in the next two weeks. Salukis beware.

All-in-all the game was probably not as bad as it seemed. We played a good conference opponent close. Firm up the run defense. Mertens is a good QB. Miscues will decrease as experience increases. All easily accomplished by a strong coaching staff and dedicated players.

I'm thinking this was a breakout game for the Penguins. Now they have to prove it by continuing to perform. Hopefully the S. Illinois game will be something of a breakout game for the Bison.

Time will tell.

NorthernBison
09-21-2008, 01:52 PM
It's easy to be negative after a loss. The good thing is we now know what to work on...... everything. (Well, except for Tyler and Ramon)

I continue to stand behind Nick. I said last week that the Wyoming game was his first meaningful game snaps as a college QB. By meaningful, I'm talking about taking snaps in an actual game against a quality opponent where the outcome is still in some doubt. The inexperience is the result of the previous two years. Practice isn't the place to develop a QB and I think we see that now. The last two years I have wanted to see Nick get an occasional series in a close game with the whole playbook available. We knew that Walker wouldn't be around this year when the playoffs were the goal. 20-2 doesn't help us now when we have essentially a rookie QB.

We still don't have an answer to the spread offense and QB's who operate like that kid last night. I would hate to see App State against the Bison D before we figure it out. Armanti Edwards would probably set some all-time records.

One of the biggest things I saw was the speed issue. Overall we looked SLOW. The defense seemed to always get there late and instead of putting a shoulder on the ballcarrier, they had to arm tackle. On offense, it seemed that our running plays developed so slow that the whole YSU defense was waiting for the RB.

The offense is very good with Tyler in the game. When he is out, it might not even be average. Depth at RB is an illusion. The young guys need to develop because they aren't there yet. Overall, receiving corp is solid. Heck, Shultenover, and Wurz are all pretty steady. Good thing Jordan Shultenover doesn't play defense. I thought he was going to blow out his knee trying to tackle that d back on the interception return.

It's one conference loss but the margin for error is gone.

jimmyjack
09-21-2008, 02:16 PM
No way is anybody going to get out of this league schedule with less than one loss. If you guys beat SIU, WIU, and UNI, you're back in the driver's seat. SDSU has to survive a pretty brutal non-conference schedule (McNeese and Cal Poly in successive weeks starting Oct. 4) but with the exception of SIU, the tough part of our conference slate is done. Thank heavens for Missouri State, Indiana State and Illinois State or this conference would be impossible.

NDSU's YSU loss doesn't really change my opinion that by the end of the season, the Bison will be one of three (or maybe four) teams in the hunt for the autobid and one or two other playoff slots coming out of the MVFC.

Seriously, nobody here can believe that the last two weeks are anything but an aberration, can you? To say it isn't would mean you don't think the Bison are a playoff team. I can't see any reason why, with all your good players, things won't turn around, and quick.

No_Skill
09-21-2008, 02:39 PM
I stand by my comment that Roehl should have gotten the carry on the last play of the game.

Do you want the game in the hands of the deisel who is averaging like 7 ypc and was looking strong or the QB who has thrown 6 ints (up to that point) in the last 2 games?

rabidrabbit
09-21-2008, 02:43 PM
SDSU caught YSU without an offense. YSU jelled the offense in their Central St. game. Caught NDSU with severe injury issues on D. YSU at home vs in Brookings.

Come back, and take out SIU in two weeks, and NDSU is smack dab in MoValley title race.

GOB1SON
09-21-2008, 02:48 PM
I stand by my comment that Roehl should have gotten the carry on the last play of the game.

Do you want the game in the hands of the deisel who is averaging like 7 ypc and was looking strong or the QB who has thrown 6 ints (up to that point) in the last 2 games?

Quit it!!! Quit second guessing. It does no good.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda! Drop it. The play is over.

If you want to have an intelligent discussion around coaching, then start a thread and bring up some good points, but to sit there and "snipe" on each play called is ridiculous.

A1pigskin
09-21-2008, 04:31 PM

Well said. Now our weaknesses are exposed. We need to take the next two weeks and fix them.

IzzyFlexion
09-21-2008, 05:23 PM
May or may not have made a difference, but early on in the final drive a completetion was ran out of bounds (I think it was Heckendorf?)...You could see the ref waving overhead for a clock stoppage...then as the Bison were in the huddle the clock started!! If nothing else, 15-20 seconds more may have given NDSU an opportunity for a running play at the 3.

tjbison
09-21-2008, 05:26 PM
May or may not have made a difference, but early on in the final drive a completetion was ran out of bounds (I think it was Heckendorf?)...You could see the ref waving overhead for a clock stoppage...then as the Bison were in the huddle the clock started!! If nothing else, 15-20 seconds more may have given NDSU an opportunity for a running play at the 3.

well YSU got credit for a TD that was caught OB? but its hindsight

NDSUstudent
09-21-2008, 05:30 PM

According to the new NCAA rules the clock runs after the ball is spotted on 1st down with more then 2 minutes on the clock. I believe Heck caught that and went out of bounds with something like 2:07 left on the clock, so the refs and time-keeper got it right.

IzzyFlexion
09-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Agreed. Just frustrated that the coaches may have been forced to call plays based on a incorrect time on the clock.

IzzyFlexion
09-21-2008, 05:33 PM
According to the new NCAA rules the clock runs after the ball is spotted on 1st down with more then 2 minutes on the clock. I believe Heck caught that and went out of bounds with something like 2:07 left on the clock, so the refs and time-keeper got it right.

Oh well...........so much for my conspiracy theory. Thanks for the clarification.

1bizon1
09-21-2008, 09:02 PM

If you want to have an intelligent discussion around coaching, then start a thread and bring up some good points, but to sit there and "snipe" on each play called is ridiculous.

Second guessing or an opinion? It is an opinion and every one is entitled to such. To tell someone to be intelligent on this is wrong. An opinion is just that, an opinion, neither right nor wrong. so, "don't be ridiculous."
JMHO....

GO BIZON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IzzyFlexion
09-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Forgive me if I missed somewhere on the threads (lazy when it comes to heavy reading) but does anyone have any updates of the injury front?

GOB1SON
09-22-2008, 02:54 AM
Forgive me if I missed somewhere on the threads (lazy when it comes to heavy reading) but does anyone have any updates of the injury front?

Sounds like Maresh has a hip-pointer, but that is all I have heard. No idea why Anderson was on the sidelines.

Go to the injuries thread for other updates.

Hoss
09-22-2008, 03:28 AM

It was under 2 minutes though...

No_Skill
09-22-2008, 03:35 AM

Are you kidding? I can "second guess" all I want...I'm a fan...it's what we do. Half the fun of watching sports is thinking about what you would have done in certain situations.

Also, no matter what I think, I'm fully aware that the coaches are the ones who make the decisions and my "second guessing" has absolutely no effect on the outcome of the game.

It's a game, relax.

bisoneer
09-22-2008, 04:05 AM
I'm sure its been said before but it doesnt hurt to review these points:

College football players are also students or student athletes, they are still maturing physically and mentally as they are very young (18 to 22 generally) so lets give this some thought before we rip into a particular player. Steve Walker was truly amazing and had a hand in several miraculous plays which pulled a rabbit out of the hat to win games that really should have our could have been losses. An inch here or there or a tenth of a second and maybe some people would have been down on certain plays or players last year too.

HerdBot
09-22-2008, 05:32 AM

1) bad run defense
2) bad luck
3) a few bad decisions by the qb
4) YSU is actually pretty good

Sorry guys but Youngstown is a great team at home. They rarely lose there. I think many of us forget that they won 4 National Championships and are a force to be reckoned with. The SDSU game was a worst case scenerio and it was on the road where SDSU plays well at.

Thunder_Struck
09-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Did Preston Evans play? Didn't see his name in the box score, and we seemed to have play every LB.

GOB1SON
09-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Did Preston Evans play? Didn't see his name in the box score, and we seemed to have play every LB.

He did play on special teams, but I did not see him on D. But I certainly could have missed him.

Have you seen this kid up close? He looks like a monster in the making.

BeckerBison
09-22-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm sure its been said before but it doesnt hurt to review these points:

College football players are also students or student athletes, they are still maturing physically and mentally as they are very young (18 to 22 generally) so lets give this some thought before we rip into a particular player. Steve Walker was truly amazing and had a hand in several miraculous plays which pulled a rabbit out of the hat to win games that really should have our could have been losses. An inch here or there or a tenth of a second and maybe some people would have been down on certain plays or players last year too.

Come after me......

I'm a man......

I'm 40!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMmbUmKN0E

Bisontug
09-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Come after me......

I'm a man......

I'm 40!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMmbUmKN0E

Nice post BB... you working 1/2 time again....:D

I think that just about sums it up.... Let's get ready for SIU !!!! By the way... did anyone think the MVFC was going to be a cake walk ?? I don't think anyone said that, but it's going to be a grind year in and out...

BisonFB
09-22-2008, 11:32 PM
Love It...Mike Gundy Is A Rockstar!

roadwarrior
09-23-2008, 03:02 AM
Mike McFeely weighs in with some post Youngstown thoughts on the Bison media blog: 3 top problems:

1) Injuries
2) Defense
3) Quarterback