PDA

View Full Version : Somebody Thinks "Bison" mascot is offensive

Bison15
09-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Did anybody else catch this letter to the editor in The Forum
http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/214099

A1pigskin
09-08-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm not going to waste my time to read it.

BisonAccountant44
09-08-2008, 04:40 PM
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13704

The_Herd
09-08-2008, 04:40 PM
This was the most ridiculous, stupid and outlandish letter I have ever read in my life and possibly in the history of history.

UTH
09-08-2008, 04:41 PM

Yeah, the participants of this thread (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13704) did.

Merger?...

Bison15
09-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Sorry, didn't know it has already been posted

UTH
09-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Sorry, didn't know it has already been posted

No worries. Happens every day...

NDSUFan_Sav
09-08-2008, 05:25 PM
that's pretty funny.....you could say that bout quite a few mascots...did this person think before they wrote into the paper...i mean seriously get a grip!!!

tjbison
09-08-2008, 05:31 PM
that's pretty funny.....you could say that bout quite a few mascots...did this person think before they wrote into the paper...i mean seriously get a grip!!!

Umm obviously not!! theres one word to some it up MORON!!

KilldeerBison
09-08-2008, 06:33 PM
That's funny, let me see, I worship this thing, so I think I'll eat it? Next we'll be hearing from the Headhunter's Society!

WestDakotaBison
09-08-2008, 07:40 PM
What's even better is the fact that the Forum chose to publish this.

OrygunBison
09-08-2008, 08:56 PM
"He is not an asset to be exploited; he is an icon to be cherished and respected, topped of with a little A1 sauce and eaten."

Bison15
09-08-2008, 09:06 PM
mmmmm... Sounds tasty.:hungry:

ndsubison1
09-08-2008, 09:06 PM
everything is offensive now days.. pretty soon everybody will not know what to be offended by... i am offended by the word offended...

Give me a break.

Scooter1
09-08-2008, 09:10 PM
"He is not an asset to be exploited; he is an icon to be cherished and respected, topped of with a little A1 sauce and eaten."

How dare you even think about eating a Buffalo...they never would think about....HEY, WAIT A MINUTE. THEY SURE AS HELL DID. Just look at my avatar...which group do you think he's more pissed at...the group that takes his name....or the group that would run him off a cliff

UTH
09-08-2008, 09:45 PM

If you're in the business of eating little carbon-biscuits...:hide:

Bisonguy
09-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Post deleted for political content. Please refrain from political posts on this forum.

stevdock
09-08-2008, 11:57 PM
That's funny, let me see, I worship this thing, so I think I'll eat it? Next we'll be hearing from the Headhunter's Society!

That's exactly what alot of Native Americans thought about the Bison/Buffalo though. I have no doubt that this was a legit letter and that what he wrote is exactly what they believed. The one thing that all of these people that complain about the nicknames of all teams is that as far as I know they were always meant out of respect, especially to the Native Americans. Maybe before they start complaining about these nicknames they should remember what the original intent was.

ndsubison1
09-09-2008, 12:16 AM
If you don't like the name then don't support it, if it means a lot to you then don't eat it. I'll eat it and support it if I want... sick of ppl trying to push their beliefs on us

BisoninNWMN
09-09-2008, 12:29 AM
What else can the Indians bitch about??

Frickin' waste of time

A1pigskin
09-09-2008, 12:40 AM
Feathers is next.

X-Factor
09-09-2008, 01:10 AM
What else can the Indians bitch about??

Frickin' waste of time

Some of them (like the guy in the forum) always play that same card too. It gets old. :mad: Stuff like this overshadows the people who do not act like that, and that is unfortunate.

westriver bison
09-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Maybe, just maybe he is und fan pretending to be an indian.

X-Factor
09-09-2008, 01:41 AM
This guy must have taken the class "Creative Sports Writing Jokes" as a freshman.

99Bison
09-09-2008, 01:47 AM
Had to be a joke... and why even when you are looking to ruffle feathers would you even print that. Isn't it obviously a joke.

NDSU1980
09-09-2008, 02:22 AM
Guys, the LETTER IS A FAKE.

I checked, there is no JOE ABBOT in Montana and hasn't been one for years. The closest I came was a JOEL ABBOT who lives in Miles City, but no record of him ever living in Lame Deer. Checked phone records as well as free resource sites. Trust me, no one by that name. And I'm fairly good at finding people who I've lost contact with over the years.

My money is on a disgruntled und sioux pretending to be Joe Abbot.

IBleedYellow
09-09-2008, 02:31 AM
The SIoux would stoop the low...

HerdBot
09-09-2008, 02:41 AM

Yeah it's OK to kill and eat a Bison but it's disrespectful to name your team after it. Go smoke some more crack buddy. I'm still trying to decide who's a bigger idiot. The person who wrote it or the Forum employee who felt it deserved to be printed? :)

McBison
09-09-2008, 03:25 AM
I think the forum prints dumb editorials so that people write in a bunch of good ones.

NDSU1980
09-09-2008, 03:25 AM
I'm still trying to decide who's a bigger idiot. The person who wrote it or the Forum employee who felt it deserved to be printed? :)

Well, it was in the sports section letters............McFeely????

BisoninNWMN
09-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Well, it was in the sports section letters............McFeely????

Good call....McFooly is an ass-clown!!

IowaBisonToo
09-09-2008, 01:42 PM
A guy from Lame Deer writing a Lame-a** post! Period!:mad: :banghead:

MAKBison
09-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Maybe, just maybe he is und fan pretending to be an indian.

Well Thundar is not a white buffalo so there no connotation with the White Buffalo Calf Woman bringer of the first Pipe. Second, the bison were sacred because they gave up their flesh to sustain the tribe…..I think in modern times where it is impractical for hundreds of thousands of Bison to wildly roam the prairie that NDSU as a university can be viewed symbolically as being an institute sustaining all of those who use its educational amenities to survive in modern society. I would encourage all Natives et el to join the NDSU tribe and become part of the Thundering Herd!

or

You can jion und and become a fightng Sioux!

KC Bison
09-10-2008, 12:37 AM
This whole story reminds of a buddy who was ticked at his cousin. He sent in an engagement annoucement to the Fargo Forum, annoucing his cousin was engaged to a rather ugly girl. The guy's girl friend got pretty shook up seeing that her boyfriend was engaged to someone else. Anyway, ugly girl contacts the Forum to say not true and Forum called my bud and starts talking legal action. The Forum complained that now they were going to have to start calling both parties in an engagement notice to verify that it was true. He got off with an apology and a warning to never do it again.

So here's my question -- Forum are doing more than calling a bogus phone number to verify that this letter is remotely accurate???? This has all the earmarks of a disgruntled Sue fan that fleeced you. Then you took the extra step to print this bogus letter in the Sports section when you normally put letters in the editoral section. :ranting: :ranting:

tcbison
09-10-2008, 03:08 PM
The Grand Forks Herald chimes in with a story:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=86239&section=News

SDbison
09-10-2008, 03:28 PM

Give me an F'ing break! The original article and this follow up should NEVER have been printed. Today's society is F'ed up! Get a life people! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

bisonmike2
09-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Bravo to the Sioux fan who wrote the letter. Great letter, very funny. If he were a bisonville poster I'd give him rep points. I'd give him bonus points because he got the idiots over at the forum to print it.

In related news this same guy sent a letter under a different alias to the Honalulu Dispatch back in the mid nineties that ultimately got the University of Hawaii Rainbow Warriors to change there name to just the warriors. I was able to find the letter he sent. Here it is.

"The Rainbow Warrior mascot is offensive to my people. Being irish and 1/2 leprachaun rainbows are sacred to my people and I find it offensive that they are used as a sports mascot. Rainbows in my culture are used at a sign of hope and wealth. It is also our main source of income as everyone knows that there is a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow. How dare a polynesian man's university take our deity and make it a sports teams mascot. The Rainbow is no a marketing gimmick to make wealthy people richer, the Rainbow is above today's corrupt commercial world."

Phil McKraken
Boston Mass.

aces1180
09-10-2008, 03:58 PM
I love that the Herald wasted time following up on this issue...It makes me smile.

tjbison
09-10-2008, 05:33 PM

Its plastered right on the front page of the print edition

NDSU1980
09-10-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm still waiting for the Forum to produce said "Joe Abbot". All records indicate that no such person lives in Montana. Trust me, I'm good at hunting down people through the net, and this name is non-existent.

UTH
09-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I love that the Herald wasted time following up on this issue...It makes me smile.

Hey, look at the bright side here. They gave the Bison some coverage!!!

Stubby
09-11-2008, 02:17 AM
Maybe it was Scott!

CaBisonFan
09-11-2008, 02:34 PM

It was probably McFeelinit writing under another name. :nod:

BisoninNWMN
09-12-2008, 02:18 AM
:rofl: :rofl:
It was probably McFeelinit writing under another name. :nod:

:rofl: :rofl:

McFooley is a clown....even if he didn't write it

:D :D :D :D

IzzyFlexion
09-13-2008, 03:46 PM
All Right all of you bison bastards.......it's me, Joe Abbott. You better stop making fun of me and my friends at UND!!
I'll tell my reincarnated friend Ralph E. and he will have you "taken care of" by some of his old Vegas connections. Now, if you'll excuse me I have an appointment to see the mayor of Lame Deer, Montana. I'm sick of living in a town that makes fun of cute little animals with arthritic knees!

coldspot
12-12-2008, 03:42 PM
joe abbot's legacy continues on as he wrote this time to the spectrum.

(sorry for bringing a thread back from the dead)

IzzyFlexion
12-12-2008, 04:16 PM
joe abbot's legacy continues on as he wrote this time to the spectrum.

(sorry for bringing a thread back from the dead)

Oh, crap.....I was hoping that thread would never re-surface! The post before yours today was my first post ever on B-ville and I got neg-repped for it!! I was crushed. I thought I was gonna get banned on my first day!:hide:
Just for the record, I've been behaving myself ever since.............I think.