PDA

View Full Version : Marty Morgan leaves the U

onbison09
09-08-2008, 03:23 AM
Marty Morgan has left the University of Minnesota to train full time with Brock Lesnar in the UFC. Jake Deitchler also said no thanks to a schollie. He's the high schooler who qualified for the Olympics. Rep points to anyone who knows Marty's connection with SU. Really suprised me.

roadwarrior
09-08-2008, 03:42 AM
He wrestled at NDSU. Not sure how many years though..

SirHinn
09-08-2008, 03:44 AM
Marty Morgan has left the University of Minnesota to train full time with Brock Lesnar in the UFC. Jake Deitchler also said no thanks to a schollie. He's the high schooler who qualified for the Olympics. Rep points to anyone who knows Marty's connection with SU. Really suprised me.

Didn't Marty win a national championship as a true frosh at NDSU before transferring to Minny?

What is Jake Deitchler going to do now and why did he turn down the scholly?

sambini
09-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Didn't Marty win a national championship as a true frosh at NDSU before transferring to Minny?

What is Jake Deitchler going to do now and why did he turn down the scholly?
Marty was a national champ for us. His brother John was an all american for us and is in the Hall of Fame. Jake I read in the Tribune was going to train for the next Olympics. Brock Lesnar must have made Marty a great deal.

Bryan
09-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Brock has a huge fight coming up with a really big pay day, especially if he wins and Morgan's % just from this one fight could match his yearly coaching salary. The talk has been that this was a one year thing and Morgan would be back at MN next year. If Brock keeps winning, he could have at least 3 more matches in that time and Morgan could make enough money to be pretty comfortable and then go back to coaching where he is the head coach in waiting.

Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White today announced that after a year away from the game, UFC® heavyweight champion Randy "The Natural" Couture will make his long-awaited return to the Octagon to defend his title against rising star Brock Lesnar in a clash of titans destined to shake the foundations of the sport. This championship bout, the biggest heavyweight title fight in years, will headline UFC 91: COUTURE vs. LESNAR, live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, Nov. 15, 2008.

90BISON
09-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Marty was a national champ for us. His brother John was an all american for us and is in the Hall of Fame. Jake I read in the Tribune was going to train for the next Olympics. Brock Lesnar must have made Marty a great deal.

If I recall correctly, he was lured to Minn under somewhat suspect circumstances? He really hurt to lose. His brother, John, was a stud.

sambini
09-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Brock has a huge fight coming up with a really big pay day, especially if he wins and Morgan's % just from this one fight could match his yearly coaching salary. The talk has been that this was a one year thing and Morgan would be back at MN next year. If Brock keeps winning, he could have at least 3 more matches in that time and Morgan could make enough money to be pretty comfortable and then go back to coaching where he is the head coach in waiting.

Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White today announced that after a year away from the game, UFC® heavyweight champion Randy "The Natural" Couture will make his long-awaited return to the Octagon to defend his title against rising star Brock Lesnar in a clash of titans destined to shake the foundations of the sport. This championship bout, the biggest heavyweight title fight in years, will headline UFC 91: COUTURE vs. LESNAR, live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, Nov. 15, 2008. Thanks Bryan for your insight+++

Castor Troy
09-09-2008, 06:38 PM
If I recall correctly, he was lured to Minn under somewhat suspect circumstances? He really hurt to lose. His brother, John, was a stud.

The Morgan family is a family of studs. Along with Marty and John, there is Gordy who also wrestled for the U of M and was a multi-time All- American. He wrestled in the Olympics and his son is a 7th grade state champion. They also have a brother named Danny who fought Michael Nunn for the welterweight title.

Most people thought that Marty would be the heir apparent to J for the head job at the U but I guess he was not interested. Marty has many different interests and he never pictured himself involved with wrestling his whole life.