PDA

View Full Version : New Prediction

CaBisonFan
09-07-2008, 06:28 PM
This summer I made a prediction about the season. I predicted a 10-1 record. I'm changing my prediction...based upon the first two games.

In the first two games, our offense could have run the score up into the 80s or above...easily. It is an offense with great balance that doesn't depend on a great performance by any 'one' person. The talent of this offense is amazing. The cast that surrounds Nick Mertens would be the envy of many mid-level FBS programs. Nick is still in the process of finding a comfort zone on the field. He isn't that experienced in game conditions. It is my one criticism of the coaching staff at NDSU...and probably the only one...which is pretty darn good. It is a great coaching staff. Nick didn't get enough snaps over the past two years.

It has been discussed often here that we don't need a 'great' quarterback performance. We need a good one. As is the rule with most offenses in this era, the quarterback's role has changed to a certain degree. 'Minimize mistakes...sustain drives...work for field position...don't put the defense on the field all day...and let the talent around you do their work.' And what I've seen so far, is exactly that. I've seen flashes of brilliance, and an incredible arm on Nick's part.

We've beaten two very average programs. The intensity of these games has been minimal. They were more like scrimmages for this Bison team. We haven't come even close to playing up to our ability. As most athletes have experienced, it's tough to play great when the opponent isn't challenging to play. No matter what you tell yourself mentally, the intensity just won't come.

The first real test comes this weekend in Wyoming. I still believe that it will come as a surprisingly easy victory...not a blowout...but maybe in the two to three touchdown area. Of course, I could easily be wrong. We could beat them badly. :nod:

This season has a completely different edge to it. It's much healthier. There isn't one single game on the schedule that is an absolute 'must' win for the Bison. One could argue that one loss in the conference could hurt our playoff chances...and it might be right. Last year's team wore down mentally as well as physically. The season ended in the baggie. That problem doesn't exist this year. For that reason, it's good that we're not going to beat up on the Gophers again. Besides...3 years of thrashing the Gophers wouldn't be good for interstate relations. Minnesotans might develop an inferiority complex...and Sid Hartman might become a Bison fan...which wouldn't be good. :D

What I've seen to this point is an incredibly deep roster, with hardly any dropoff at almost all positions.

I'm going to go out on a new limb, and as usual it will be a long limb, but I'm going to predict an undefeated season.

My reasons?

1. Great talent...and new depth.
2. Great coaching...as usual.
3. A warrior mentality, engrained by the coaching staff and the experience of the past two seasons. These guys are mentally tough. Remember 6 consecutive road games in 2006? whoa
4. A vastly improved, deeper, more experienced...and healthy...defense.

But more important than all of it...we're discussing the Bison...a program that is accustomed to being ranked highly...and taking care of business. #1 is great for the Bison. Unlike most programs...the Bison know how to carry this banner...and they thrive on it. The Bison of the mid to late 90s and the early part of the new millenium lacked a challenge that was equal to the tradition. If the leadership of the 90s wouldn't have fallen asleep at the wheel, literally & figuratively, those teams would have had the same opportunities, with the proper kind of support. The leadership was clueless.

Everyone will aim at us...and that is exactly what the dynasty loved. This group of players will love it. "Bring on the crowd noise...we'll beat you in every way possible." That will be the player attitude. That is what this team will love. It won't bother them at all...to the contrary...they will 'rise' to it. The Bison intensity will be off the chart...no matter where they are playing...or who they are playing.

Nick Mertens a problem? Not hardly. He is a gamer, with great talent, heart, and intelligence. He will improve with every game. He's been in scrimmages so far.

We'll get to see the real Mertens for the first time in Laramie...but even if we don't...the rest of the cast will take most of the pressure off.

Note to fans: We need to take it easy on this young man. Support is what he needs. How would 'you,' like to take over for Steve Walker?

I watched part of the Wyoming game. They have some talent, but we've played teams in the past two years that were more talented, and better-coached. People in Wyoming will be shocked at the talent level, the confidence, and the coaching ability of this Bison team. But even if the game is close, the Wyoming fans will have a new appreciation for North Dakota State, and the caliber of football that it plays. It's not about the FCS...it's about Bison football. "Wyoming fans, I present Bison football to you, and I certainly hope that you enjoy it. We'll be one of the best teams that you play this year...and...ah...better than Air Force."

After the first three games of this season, the MVFC will be served notice that we are the dominant team in the conference.

Undefeated in 2008...unless we lose half the roster to injuries. We will be in the championship game for the FCS title...and win it in a thriller. Nick Mertens will be more than ready to show his elite talent & competitiveness in time for the playoffs. And oh...you lucky folks 'will' get to see at least one home playoff game. (note to McFeelinit: Ya don't know crap about Bison history...because you don't care. Ya have no respect, or understanding. You are a pot stirrer, without a pot.)

Toughest game of the regular season? Again...SDSU.

Business will be taken care of, however. It will be a 'statement' game for the players that know we gave them several early Christmas presents in 2007. Our intensity will be off the chart.

My son & I will be at the Western Illinois game on the 11th. I'll bring my CaBisonFan sign. If you see me...please come and say 'hi,' but for my son's sake...don't throw anything. :cheers: We're all Bison fans.

I'll be there early for the tailgate parties.

Go Bison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS

This will be a historic Bison football season. Bohl & company have set the table. Taylor & Chapman have put everything behind it. FBS caliber football exists in Fargo.

And...ah...for anyone who doesn't like my ramblings...please use the 'back' button.
Signing out...from the land of fruits & nuts. :bong:

fargocyclone
09-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Great Post! (well from the portion of it I read :hide: )

We should have a longest post award in the Bisonville Awards thread too!

roadwarrior
09-07-2008, 10:17 PM

This would be another easy choice.

A1pigskin
09-07-2008, 10:51 PM
CABisonfan - Some very interesting comments. I didn't think your post was ever going to end.

I think you stated the facts correctly. Next weekend we will see our real talent at work. Our 3rd string got some good playing time Saturday.

We do need to support our guys rather than talk garbage about them. I think for the most part we all do.:nod:

OrygunBison
09-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Can someone give me the cliff notes to this thread?

BisoninNWMN
09-07-2008, 11:53 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Damn....well said Ca

Too many on this board are pessimistic whimps. You call them like most people think but they don't want to admit it.

We do have very good depth this yr.....11-0 is very possible.

After the Jacks destroyed YSU, I think the SU's are going to be a force in this conference. UNI-SIU-YSU coaches-players-fans are going "holy sh**...we better bring our A-game against the SU's or we are going to get our asses handed to us.

I believe we're going to win in Laramie...probably close but hopefully it's like CMU last yr:D :D :D

Great post....one of the best I have read on Bisonville

:cheers:

CaBisonFan
09-08-2008, 12:14 AM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Damn....well said Ca

Too many on this board are pessimistic whimps. You call them like most people think but they don't want to admit it.

We do have very good depth this yr.....11-0 is very possible.

After the Jacks destroyed YSU, I think the SU's are going to be a force in this conference. UNI-SIU-YSU coaches-players-fans are going "holy sh**...we better bring our A-game against the SU's or we are going to get our asses handed to us.

I believe we're going to win in Laramie...probably close but hopefully it's like CMU last yr:D :D :D

Great post....one of the best I have read on Bisonville

:cheers:

Thanks. Wish I could fly to Laramie to see it happen.

CaBisonFan
09-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Great Post! (well from the portion of it I read :hide: )

And I would accept it with great honor. ;)

CaBisonFan
09-08-2008, 12:21 AM

I like making things easy for people. :nod:

CaBisonFan
09-08-2008, 12:23 AM

Here they are:

Bison real good...everyone else not as good. We win. :D

Hammersmith
09-08-2008, 12:37 AM

Dammit. Ever since CaBisonFan joined, I've lost the job of longest winded blowhard(no offense, CBF). It's time to go UTH on all your asses.

Not really. I'm too lazy.

jrh
09-08-2008, 12:41 AM
five starters out! We havee depth, but these are key players!

IBleedYellow
09-08-2008, 02:25 AM
CBF...Honestly, did you try to make my headache worse?

But DAMN well stated, as I read what you said I actually had goosebumps and was getting that pre-game shiver.

NDSUstudent
09-08-2008, 02:28 AM
five starters out! We havee depth, but these are key players!

Five starters out? Roehl, Ebel, and Henry are the only players that are probably going to be out.

CaBisonFan
09-08-2008, 02:45 AM
[quote=Hammersmith;207128]Dammit. Ever since CaBisonFan joined, I've lost the job of longest winded blowhard(no offense, CBF). It's time to go UTH on all your asses.

It's been my goal all along. Slam dunk :bow:

CarringtonBison
09-08-2008, 02:46 AM
Five starters out? Roehl, Ebel, and Henry are the only players that are probably going to be out.

and roehl is only doubtful-gotta see how the ankle heals itself. i agee with a posted comment early-let him sit out and get ready for a grueling conference schedule. don't push it and let our capable backups get some big time game experience. they have looked good so far, but how can the do against better competition in a game?

CaBisonFan
09-08-2008, 02:48 AM
CBF...Honestly, did you try to make my headache worse?

But DAMN well stated, as I read what you said I actually had goosebumps and was getting that pre-game shiver.

Sorry 'bout that. But the goosebump part...that's what Bison football is about. They're baaaaacccccckkkkkk.

IBleedYellow
09-08-2008, 03:08 AM
I've had that pre-game shiver since about...Ohh last year when I was driving to hunt listening to SDSU stop Walkers last drive.

+++++ to CBF!!!

CaBisonFan
09-08-2008, 12:28 PM
[quote=IBleedYellow;207182]I've had that pre-game shiver since about...Ohh last year when I was driving to hunt listening to SDSU stop Walkers last drive.

I think that the loss at SDSU has given this Bison team a mission. It's called dominance. They've just been playing around so far. I have the same shiver that you have. Felt bad that Walker's career had to end with that pass. It wasn't his fault. The balance of the offense had disappeared, with injuries. No running backs. And the special teams had really put the Bison in several holes.

I also think that the colder weather was a factor for the passing game. They hadn't played in those kind of elements. That's one of the down sides of being a dome team.

The last time the Bison had played in similar weather was at Montana State, with a similar outcome.

NDSUFan_Sav
09-08-2008, 05:38 PM

hahahaha exactly what i was going to post...hahahahahaha :nod:

++++++++++++++

TAILG8R
09-08-2008, 08:10 PM
I in turn will give my prediction after week 10 ;)

skolbrother
09-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Our injuries are very concerning.
To beat Wyoming we must have a defensive gem.