PDA

View Full Version : Volleyball setting questions

bisoneer
09-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi, can anyone tell me about the difference in setting theory between high school and college. At the Bison games you will see that whoever gets the pass does the set, its not always passed to the setter (prolly cause the spike is so dam hard you are just trying to dig it). In high school (at least here in coach nazivilles town) THE setter is supposed to take all the passes and set them, no one else or its bench time, what gives??????????

silkamilkamonico
09-07-2008, 06:23 PM
It's a very hard skill and takes time to develop. It's also an immediate point ending play if it isn't done properly. You have to contact the ball at the same time with both hands. If you bring the ball below your chin, chances are you will be called for a lift. If the ball is spinning, chances are you will be called for a double contact. Keep in mind you have to follow these guidleines while trying to set a ball that's probably spinning like crazy most of the time, and you have to take the spin off the ball.

Ideally yea, you would like all players to be able to set for when your offense is out of system, but considering it's a point for the other team if it isn't done properly, kids that are still developing in high school might not feel comfortable setting the balls high and outside (which is an added skill on top of setting). Setting the ball 3 feet in front of you is one thing, setting the ball high and outside is another.

The girls playing for the Bison, and D1, are your exceptional kids that stand out in high school, that have the ability to do everything well. That's how they get to that level.

I've played almost every sport at some point in my life, and volleyball is by far, the most skillful and technical sport that I've played. It takes time to get a feel for the ball and see how it's going to react to you, and it isn't like basketball where kids are playing at a young age and you can find a game somewhere, and develop a good feel at an early age.

silkamilkamonico
09-07-2008, 06:30 PM
And a setter is very important for running the offense. NDSU found out 3 years ago just how important a setter is. If you can't run an offense you won't beat anyone at this level.

But it is nice to have the ability of someone else to step in when you're out of system.

99Bison
09-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi, can anyone tell me about the difference in setting theory between high school and college. At the Bison games you will see that whoever gets the pass does the set, its not always passed to the setter (prolly cause the spike is so dam hard you are just trying to dig it). In high school (at least here in coach nazivilles town) THE setter is supposed to take all the passes and set them, no one else or its bench time, what gives??????????

Look at the assist numbers, especially historically... Mattie is the setter. However, J.lo being all world right now has been setting also. Pretty rare for any others to set.

Also, the Bison offense is a 6-2 (I think) the two being 2 setters...

spiritbzn1
09-07-2008, 09:58 PM
I think we have 2 great setters right now. We are lucky. However, anybody at the match this weekend think the team looked better with just mattie setting all the way around? Lopez is awesome, don't get me wrong. Just my two cents for watching only one of the matches this weekend.

bisoneer
09-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks Silkamikamonico, that puts a lot more light on the setting ?s I had.

Every one should get out there and watch this vball team, they are awesome and all of the coaches should be very proud of what they have put together.
We live over 100 miles away and it is worth every mile when we get the chance to go to one of their games. I love football too, but right now this is so much fun to watch also.

99Bison
09-08-2008, 12:39 AM
I think we have 2 great setters right now. We are lucky. However, anybody at the match this weekend think the team looked better with just mattie setting all the way around? Lopez is awesome, don't get me wrong. Just my two cents for watching only one of the matches this weekend.

This is accurate right now, mattie has much more experience/practice obviously... If you watch practice drills you can really see the difference.

That being said, j.lo is next inline for setting and once others get health (eg k.lo) will probably see less j.lo hitting too... Obviously she is doing fantastic all around right now though!

silkamilkamonico
09-08-2008, 06:00 AM
I don't think JLo will ever move to setting in a 5-1. She's too good of a hitter, and she can put the ball down anywhere on the court. She'll probably continue to set in a 6-2 with mattie's sister who is also a setter I believe when Mattie is done.

99Bison
09-08-2008, 06:48 AM
I don't think JLo will ever move to setting in a 5-1. She's too good of a hitter, and she can put the ball down anywhere on the court. She'll probably continue to set in a 6-2 with mattie's sister who is also a setter I believe when Mattie is done.

Agreed, hope that opportunity stays the course.

pancake83
09-08-2008, 11:34 PM

I think the original plan was to have Jennifer set, because she is THAT good of a setter, but if you look at her stats...she is also THAT good of an attacker as well, so they are getting the best of both worlds right now, and you have your experience in Mattie setting as well. Leah Johnson is a great setter as well, maybe a little taller than Mattie, and pretty good in her own right, I think they'll redshirt her, as they won't need her right away next year, because Mattie will be a senior - and they could keep running their 6-2, now, they could run a 6-2 with Jennifer hitting all the way around and both Johnson's setting, now that would be interesting...

The coaches know what they are doing, and have a great system to utilize all their weapons. I'm sure they were a little surprised about losing to UIC in 3 & out, but responded soundly - they will be solid this year, and are even scarier next year with the kids that they have coming in, and only losing Hille...

A1pigskin
09-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Hmmm, interesting advice. I actually learned something here.