PDA

View Full Version : Central Connecticut beat Georgia Southern

HerdBot
09-05-2008, 02:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=262520290

I can't believe I didn't notice this but in 2006, the same team we're playing tomorrow beat Georgia Southern 17-13. Yes, that's the same Georgia Southern that has won something like 5 National Championships.

Interestingly enough, we beat Georgia Southern that year 34-14. 2 weeks later, Georgia Southern lost to Appalachian State 27-20, who went on to win the National Championship!!

Bohl wasn't kidding when he said they were a good team. I'm actually a bit excited now!

Scooter1
09-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Anything can happen in a game. I don't think that this will be a competative game and I really don't think that CCSU is going to score that many points. The Georgia Southern game is a good win for them and one that they have hung their hat on. I think by the end of the night, or should I say, I know, by the end of the night, that hat will still be hung next to that game. There is no way that this team beats NDSU. When I look at the game footage from their Bryant win, a few things stood out; Bryant was able to move the ball and get runs in large chuncks, and horrible special teams play by Bryant. I know the past wins for a team are fun to look at, but this game is going to be won by more than 30 points. Bank on it.

HerdBot
09-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Anything can happen in a game. I don't think that this will be a competative game and I really don't think that CCSU is going to score that many points. The Georgia Southern game is a good win for them and one that they have hung their hat on. I think by the end of the night, or should I say, I know, by the end of the night, that hat will still be hung next to that game. There is no way that this team beats NDSU. When I look at the game footage from their Bryant win, a few things stood out; Bryant was able to move the ball and get runs in large chuncks, and horrible special teams play by Bryant. I know the past wins for a team are fun to look at, but this game is going to be won by more than 30 points. Bank on it.

I think we win but it's not going to be as easy as others make it out to be. I checked the stats and Georgia Southern turned the ball over 3 times to CCSU's 0. We're not known for great turnover margins. Last year we turned the ball over 6 times vs Stephen F Austin and were negative for the year. All it takes is a few strange bounces and a little luck. With a great rushing attack, anything can happen. CCSU has a great rushing attack. The intangibles go in favor of CCSU with the coaching connection, low expectations, and the motivation to beat the #1 team in the land.

CaBisonFan
09-05-2008, 03:04 PM
I think we win but it's not going to be as easy as others make it out to be. I checked the stats and Georgia Southern turned the ball over 3 times to CCSU's 0. We're not known for great turnover margins. Last year we turned the ball over 6 times vs Stephen F Austin and were negative for the year. All it takes is a few strange bounces and a little luck. With a great rushing attack, anything can happen. CCSU has a great rushing attack. The intangibles go in favor of CCSU with the coaching connection, low expectations, and the motivation to beat the #1 team in the land.

I will still stand by my prediction of one loss this year. The loss that I predicted would be a surprise at a home game...and with a surprisingly easy win at Wyoming...and a thriller win at Northern Iowa. CCSU could be the surprise. Who will ever forget the early Christmas presents that we gave to SDSU in 07...including several footballs. It was like, "here, take it, I don't want it." A big key for this year, conference title hopes, playoff hopes, a home playoff game or two...will all be linked to putting the turnover ratio in our favor.

Good points on your part.

aces1180
09-05-2008, 03:14 PM
I will still stand by my prediction of one loss this year. The loss that I predicted would be a surprise at a home game...and with a surprisingly easy win at Wyoming...and a thriller win at Northern Iowa. CCSU could be the surprise. Who will ever forget the early Christmas presents that we gave to SDSU in 07...including several footballs. It was like, "here, take it, I don't want it." A big key for this year, conference title hopes, playoff hopes, a home playoff game or two...will all be linked to putting the turnover ratio in our favor.

Good points on your part.

There is absolutely no way that the Bison are surprised by CCSU...Coach Bohl is great at getting his team ready to win and will do so again tomorrow.

45-3 Bison.

NDSUstudent
09-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Bison should roll, CCSU is a decent team but I don't like the match-up of a team that basically just runs the ball vs our defense.

Scooter1
09-05-2008, 03:46 PM
This is just for fun, so don't take offense....

In 2007-2008 season....

1. Central Connecticut beat Sacred Heart 49-33
2. Sacred Heart beat Marist 41-34
3. Marist beat Georgetown 37-34
4. georgetown beat Bucknell 20-17
5. Bucknell beat Fordham 38-24
6. Fordham beat Rhode Island 27-23
7. Rhode Island beat U Mass 12-6
8. U Mass beat New Hampshire 27-7
9. New Hampshire beat Delaware 35-10
10. Delaware beat UNI 39-27
11. UNI beat SDSU 31-17
12. SDSU beat NDSU 29-24
13. so......CCSU would have beaten NDSU last year.:D

rutlandbison
09-05-2008, 03:56 PM

In 2007-2008 season....

11. UNI beat SDSU 31-17
12. SDSU beat NDSU 29-24

It all makes sense now......

tjbison
09-05-2008, 04:07 PM

In 2007-2008 season....

11. UNI beat SDSU 31-17
12. SDSU beat NDSU 29-24

Yeah well I beat LSU on NCAA 07!

MHDBisonfan
09-05-2008, 05:42 PM

In 2007-2008 season....

11. UNI beat SDSU 31-17
12. SDSU beat NDSU 29-24

And by 129 points no less! :p I usually have to correct kids that I coach on that type of argument. Usually it is a complete circle like it will be when we beat CCSU. Then we can say "well, then we should beat ourselves tonight by 129 points!" :rofl:

HerdBot
09-05-2008, 07:09 PM
And by 129 points no less! :p I usually have to correct kids that I coach on that type of argument. Usually it is a complete circle like it will be when we beat CCSU. Then we can say "well, then we should beat ourselves tonight by 129 points!" :rofl:

I know it was a joke but I think the 11 team comparison is nowhere near what I was talking about. I connected 4 teams. NDSU, CCSU, GS, and YSU. The fact that they beat Georgia Southern in Georgia is all I need to know. The short connection to NDSU and Appalachian State wining the championship that year is just gravy. These comparisons are to show if teams can be in the same ballpark :)

Kind of like Central Michigan almost beat Purdue. (and played them somewhat close another time) and we destroyed Central Michigan. We also beat Minnesota. Clearly, we can be competitive against Purdue so if they were to say they would beat us by 50, I would disagree.

OldBison
09-05-2008, 07:15 PM

In 2007-2008 season....

11. UNI beat SDSU 31-17
12. SDSU beat NDSU 29-24

I love these. Never done one, so I have a lot of respect for people to take the time to work it out. Actually, I probably have a lot of envy for the people who have the time to work these out :blush:

Bisonguy
09-05-2008, 08:52 PM
I love these. Never done one, so I have a lot of respect for people to take the time to work it out. Actually, I probably have a lot of envy for the people who have the time to work these out :blush:

There are online calculators that make easy work of it. Enter Team A, enter Team B, and it gives the string of victories or tells you if it cannot compile it.

Scooter1
09-06-2008, 02:29 AM
Do you know how ridiculous an twelve team comparison is.....I think I could have connected CCSU to Kevin Bacon faster than I did with a team that beat the Bison last year; which really was the point of the comparison in the first place.:banghead:

BisoninNWMN
09-06-2008, 03:11 AM
The option needs receivers that can block downfield.....CCSU's are small. We have a physical defense....they might move the ball for a series or 2 but once we get adjusted to it...we will shut them down. Their passing game doesn't look very good.

Our O-line should be able to open holes. If they stack 8-9 in the box, Mertens will have another 300+ game. Pick your poison CCSU

I think teams are going to stack the line all yr. Hell, AP had all 11 guys 2 yards off the line many times last week.

Bison too big, strong, fast, etc.

Bison is a beat-down....by at least 30.....if crowd gets into it... worse:D :D

A1pigskin
09-06-2008, 03:18 AM
BisoninNWMN couldn't have said it better.

BisoninNWMN
09-06-2008, 03:22 AM
BisoninNWMN couldn't have said it better.

:bow: :bow:

imported_Bisongold
09-06-2008, 05:34 AM
The option needs receivers that can block downfield.....CCSU's are small. We have a physical defense....they might move the ball for a series or 2 but once we get adjusted to it...we will shut them down. Their passing game doesn't look very good.

Our O-line should be able to open holes. If they stack 8-9 in the box, Mertens will have another 300+ game. Pick your poison CCSU

I think teams are going to stack the line all yr. Hell, AP had all 11 guys 2 yards off the line many times last week.

Bison too big, strong, fast, etc.

Bison is a beat-down....by at least 30.....if crowd gets into it... worse:D :D
Last year we should have lost to Cal Poly and we lost to SDSU. The reason is simple. They stacked the box! Our offensive coordinator did not adjust to this and tried to run the ball down their throats. ( what a cliche' but true) I hope that Perles has grown and adjusted to this fact. After witnessing the first game, I believe he has. We need a passing game...and I don't mean down the stretch trying to catch up!! Die hard fans may not want to hear this but I believe this is the key to winning games this year. The O coordinator cannot have an ego. With Roehl, teams will stack the box all year...we need to pass at least 50% starting from the beginning of the game!

imported_Bisongold
09-06-2008, 05:54 AM
I forgot to add that if we do not pass 50% of the time, it is for no other reason than that Perles does not call the plays that way. Our receivers and our quarterback are very capable. It is very easy for Perles as the Offensive Line coach to get egotistical and feel that we will run the ball against anyone. This will be our demise if he gets into that mode. Pass the ball...pass the ball...pass the ball. Do any of you remember when NDSU played UND at Grand Forks in the outdoor stadium? Lamaar was playing, Babich was the coach. Remember...run the ball...stuff. Run the ball...stuff. Run the ball...stuff! Third and long...Pass deep down the sideline...incomplete. Over and over again! Bad game plan...inability to change. Execution is important, but game plan is more important.

X-Factor
09-06-2008, 06:04 AM
I'm very impressed that CCSU beat GSU just based on differences between the two programs even though GSU was definitely down. I do vividly remember the talk on AGS when it happened, but it has little bearing on CCSU even remotely making this a game. The only chance of this being a game by halftime is if CCSU has rediculous return yards like AP had and probably at least 2 or 3 turnovers on the Bison. Then maybe it would be close by the half. IMO the Bison could turn it over 8-9 times and still win by double digits that is how dominant our defense is.

I'm glad CCSU is here. It is great for their program and great to see the Bison playing at home instead of on the road. I'll completely enjoy the atmosphere and Bison gameday with a SOLD OUT FARGODOME!! But I think that expecting this to be any sort of competitive matchup is nothing short of a pipe dream. We will have to wait for homecoming and the remaining Valley slate for that.

X-Factor
09-06-2008, 06:08 AM
I forgot to add that if we do not pass 50% of the time, it is for no other reason than that Perles does not call the plays that way. Our receivers and our quarterback are very capable. It is very easy for Perles as the Offensive Line coach to get egotistical and feel that we will run the ball against anyone. This will be our demise if he gets into that mode. Pass the ball...pass the ball...pass the ball. Do any of you remember when NDSU played UND at Grand Forks in the outdoor stadium? Lamaar was playing, Babich was the coach. Remember...run the ball...stuff. Run the ball...stuff. Run the ball...stuff! Third and long...Pass deep down the sideline...incomplete. Over and over again! Bad game plan...inability to change. Execution is important, but game plan is more important.

This is true. And for that reason I am glad Perles has had several years experience running the offense now that we are playoff eligible. His first couple years were certainly not the best game plans but I think he has really improved in that area a great deal. Not only that but he has a lot more talent to work with and that never seems to hurt :D

BisonNeil
09-06-2008, 07:08 PM
This is true. And for that reason I am glad Perles has had several years experience running the offense now that we are playoff eligible. His first couple years were certainly not the best game plans but I think he has really improved in that area a great deal. Not only that but he has a lot more talent to work with and that never seems to hurt :D

I really only think Perles struggled his first year as OC and playcalling. Since then he has been very good, IMO.