PDA

View Full Version : The Schedule

TheDoctor
09-05-2008, 05:51 AM
This article by Kevin is very good and interesting. I think it answers a lot of peoples questions "gripes" about the lack of home "big names" and the timing of the schedule release. Check it out! ;)

http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=213739

WYOBISONMAN
09-05-2008, 01:02 PM
I agree, it opened my eyes to the challenges and strategy behind DI Mid-Major scheduling.

NDSUstudent
09-05-2008, 03:47 PM
The good news is that we'll start next year off with one home game in the bank thanks to bracketbusters. If we have a great season we could possibly see a good WAC, Horizon, or MVC team in Fargo next year.

NorCalJack
09-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Very informative article. Puts our position into perspective.

I also wanted to congratulate the Bison for adding a game to their schedule this year for the ESPNU Bracket Buster game. NDSU will be a travel team this year and who ever they play this year is required to travel to Fargo next year. Hope you end up with a really good team, so you have a better game for next year.

Thanks again for the aricle.

imabison
09-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Very informative article. Puts our position into perspective.

I also wanted to congratulate the Bison for adding a game to their schedule this year for the ESPNU Bracket Buster game. NDSU will be a travel team this year and who ever they play this year is required to travel to Fargo next year. Hope you end up with a really good team, so you have a better game for next year.

Thanks again for the aricle.
http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/213741

Story on the Bracketbuster.

Seems that Coach Phillips does not have a problem playing the likes of Valley City State.

“Our strength of schedule should be the highest it ever has been,” Phillips said.

Even if it means playing two home games against NAIA teams Mayville State and Valley City State. Phillips said opponents like that will not affect the coveted RPI – a formula that ranks all 341 Division men’s basketball teams.

79FCourt
09-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Atleast we don't have Wyoming's home b-ball schedule. Check that out and talk a little trash when you are tailgating on 9/13.

Bison101
09-07-2008, 03:24 PM
:confused: I don't know....

I can see having D-III schools at the beginning of the season for exhibition, but MAYVILLE STATE and VALLEY CITY STATE as regular season games?

mdk23
09-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Did you read the article and see how tough it was to schedule home games? Sometimes you just gotta take those games. Those are the ones you call guarantee games. You pay Valley City a couple grand and you get an automatic win. Or at least thats the plan. As Wisconsin knows, it doesn't always work out. And why wouldn't Valley City want that game? It's a great way to get some publicity, especially if they play a tough game, and it's an easy money maker. Not to mention it gives the kids there a chance to play on a bigger stage. So even though its not the best situation for NDSU, ultimately both teams are getting the best they can given the situation.

imabison
09-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Did you read the article and see how tough it was to schedule home games? Sometimes you just gotta take those games. Those are the ones you call guarantee games. You pay Valley City a couple grand and you get an automatic win. Or at least thats the plan. As Wisconsin knows, it doesn't always work out. And why wouldn't Valley City want that game? It's a great way to get some publicity, especially if they play a tough game, and it's an easy money maker. Not to mention it gives the kids there a chance to play on a bigger stage. So even though its not the best situation for NDSU, ultimately both teams are getting the best they can given the situation.
I am not sure what the guarantee would be, but how much can a bus trip to Fargo, from Valley City, or Mayville cost. I am sure the guarantee goes along way with their budgets.

mdk23
09-09-2008, 04:23 AM
Last I heard, a game like that would pay Valley City or Mayville 4 or 5 thousand. That was a year or two ago though. It may have gone up now that NDSU is a full fledged D1 member. That kind of money covers quite a few expenses for a program such as those.