PDA

View Full Version : Dome signage

HerdBot
09-04-2008, 02:42 PM
I read an article that the Alerus Center is looking to spend some money for upgrades. One of the upgrades was a sign, declaring the Alerus Center, "The Home Of The Sioux!" I wish they would do that at the Fargodome somewhere. Yes, they have the electric sign but nothing permanant.

Also in the dome, why does the turf have to say "Fargodome?" Why not a Bison head? It gives the vibe that the place is being rented instead of being "home." I noticed that places like Montana have their National Championships posted on the scoreboard on a wood sign. We have the 8 National Championship banners hung so high in the air you cannot possibly see them.

roadwarrior
09-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Also in the dome, why does the turf have to say "Fargodome?"

Probably because the city paid for the turf with sales tax money. And they rent the facility to other teams also.

tony
09-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Probably because the city paid for the turf with sales tax money. And they rent the facility to other teams also.

Man, that "F A R G O D O M E" text covers 80 total yards and they took a 50-yard line for the logo... holy carp, they'd have to rip off the roof and use a satellite to get F A R G O D O M E into frame for a shot on TV! The real question, mes amis, "Why the overkill?"

I can't wait for the day when NDSU plays on turf that actually looks like a college university's field rather than a NASCAR hood. But the entrance and whatnot, I don't care about that so much.

bisonaudit
09-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Don't think for a second that they don't know exactly what their doing with that 'Home of the Sioux' sign proposal.

bisonaudit
09-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Agree the National Championship banners need to be bigger/more visable.

I wonder if there isn't something that they could do to incorporate them into the hangings in the corners that hide the superstructure and damped the echos. Last time I was in there they were yellow and greenish but basically generic wheat head graphics and what not.

The advantage of putting them on/near the score board is that people see them there but the video boards are corner hung so maybe that would work also.

UTH
09-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Don't think for a second that they don't know exactly what their doing with that 'Home of the Sioux' sign proposal.

For how long now? Two years left until they'll finally agree that they have a racist mascot? Nobody's ever accused anyone up there of spending money too wisely. Let 'em have at it.

bisonmike2
09-04-2008, 04:12 PM
For how long now? Two years left until they'll finally agree that they have a racist mascot? Nobody's ever accused anyone up there of spending money too wisely. Let 'em have at it.

Maybe they should just do a beautiful neon/electric sign "Home of The" and then the "Fighting Sioux" part can be printed on a banner or a big post it note to prepare for their name change.

99Bison
09-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Agree the National Championship banners need to be bigger/more visable.

I wonder if there isn't something that they could do to incorporate them into the hangings in the corners that hide the superstructure and damped the echos. Last time I was in there they were yellow and greenish but basically generic wheat head graphics and what not.

The advantage of putting them on/near the score board is that people see them there but the video boards are corner hung so maybe that would work also.

All(?) the corners now have corporate sponsor banners up there... With 1 being NDSU... Perhaps the NDSU one could have the champion ship banners displayed prominently in the spot they have..??

A1pigskin
09-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Gabe brings up some good points regarding this signage issue. The dome feels like a commercial dome rather than a university dome, but that probably has a lot do with NDSU renting vs. owning. One option could be bringing in some props for the football season and then remove them after the season is over. The City should accomodate this free of charge to NDSU and to the fans.
Our banners need to become visible without having to strain your eyes or neck trying to see all our Championships.

bisonmike2
09-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Gabe brings up some good points regarding this signage issue. The dome feels like a commercial dome rather than a university dome, but that probably has a lot do with NDSU renting vs. owning. One option could be bringing in some props for the football season and then remove them after the season is over. The City should accomodate this free of charge to NDSU and to the fans.
Our banners need to become visible without having to strain your eyes or neck trying to see all our Championships.

It was much worse before. Since the lobby has been put on they've added signage in the concourses and pictures of NDSU's football history. Also, the Sunderland football complex has been added, full time NDSU locker rooms. With the banners on the sidelines and a full crowd I think it feels like a university dome, at least on gamedays anyways.

Hammerhead
09-04-2008, 07:46 PM
The turf at Dacotah Field had the logos for South, North, and Shanley in the end zones so I'm not complaining.

tony
09-04-2008, 08:21 PM
The turf at Dacotah Field had the logos for South, North, and Shanley in the end zones so I'm not complaining.

I liked that better - at least we had the old school bison snorting at the 50.

roadwarrior
09-04-2008, 08:40 PM
No problem people....when we build our new outdoor stadium, we can put whatever we want in it! :hide:

A1pigskin
09-04-2008, 09:17 PM
The old pics on the walls are a nice added touch and fun to look at.

What does everyone think of painting the Bison logo on top of the Dome roof? Everyone flying into Hector Airport would see it.

HerdBot
09-05-2008, 12:43 AM

Absolutely! There needs to be some sort of removable signage that can be visible from the field that promotes the 8 National Championships. Why not put them on the sidelines?

If they allow us to paint a Bison head on the dome turf, there is no reason they have to have a giant F A R G O D O M E logo on it. It's ridiculous and it looks anti college. I mean, does anyone looking at the field not know they are at the Fargodome?

I wish they made those corner banners a mandatory green, white, or yellow to fit in with the schools color scheme.

Yes, it's city owned but NDSU also pays rent and gave the land for free.

If the dome addition goes up, I hope they learn from the mistakes and get green seats, like Newman Outdoor Field. NDSU will be paying millions out of pocket just to have the ability to rent the place so I don't think it's too much to ask.

I still think the best way to add color to the dome is to give every fan a yellow towel. With a little instruction on the big screen, it will rock!

met1990
09-05-2008, 02:30 AM
I liked that better - at least we had the old school bison snorting at the 50.

Weren't the Dacotah Field logos on the 35-yard lines? Or at least in addition to the one at midfield?

tony
09-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Weren't the Dacotah Field logos on the 35-yard lines? Or at least in addition to the one at midfield?

Hehe, oh man, I can't remember! I remember the snorting bison mostly because one of my cousins helped paint it one year. I probably sound pretty pissy about the F A R G O D O M E stuff but it doesn't realy bother me all that much.

That said... there is a difference between a logo or two at the 35 and a logo that covers both sides of the field from the 30 to the 30 (in giant white letters) - *and* a center graphic. Showing a recruit the field must be kind of like showing up at a date's house in a Pizza Hut delivery car... OK, I'm totally kidding now :biggrin:

bisonmike2
09-05-2008, 12:45 PM
The old pics on the walls are a nice added touch and fun to look at.

What does everyone think of painting the Bison logo on top of the Dome roof? Everyone flying into Hector Airport would see it.

very cool. i like that idea.

Ivy
09-06-2008, 02:15 AM
Well, I'm not a huge fan of the F A R G O D O M E on the turf either, but I do think they should put some sort of Fargodome signage on the west/north sides of the dome....that's the direction most people come from.

HerdBot
09-06-2008, 03:46 AM
Well, I'm not a huge fan of the F A R G O D O M E on the turf either, but I do think they should put some sort of Fargodome signage on the west/north sides of the dome....that's the direction most people come from.

Good point. The dome seems sort of naked so it needs another sign. Better yet, why not a sign that reads...

"HOME OF NDSU BISON FOOTBALL. 8 TIME NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!"

THey could make the 8 electronic so we could easily change it.

The Metrodome has a giant "This is Vikings Country" sign" so why can't the Bison have something similar. The Vikings don't own the property either.

BigBison
09-06-2008, 05:46 AM
Heres my dream for a more Bison like dome.

Above the student section I want a HUGE removable banner that says "The Herd" or "The Corral."

And then above the seats (row KK) I want NDSU BISON wrote across the concrete wall.

On the press box I want "Welcome to the FARGODOME, Where the Bison Rome"

Bigger National Champ Banners that are easier to see.

In the center on the 50 the new bison head logo not to big, but big enough to see from tv.

Fargodome can be written somewhere on the turf. Along with Missouri Valley.

A1pigskin
09-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Does any of this stuff get back to management to look into some of these ideas?

Herd Mentality
09-06-2008, 04:39 PM
They used to have the "NDSU" banner that was all the way around the dome attached to the railing. Why not just get a new one of those every year and we can put what we want on it.

imabison
09-06-2008, 04:52 PM
They used to have the "NDSU" banner that was all the way around the dome attached to the railing. Why not just get a new one of those every year and we can put what we want on it.
I once mentioned that NDSU should have huge banners attached to the outside of the dome. Something on the order of of "Its Bison Gameday"
"Home of the Thundering Herd" etc, to Pat Simmers.

His comment was that would cost money, and that was it.

Bisonguy
09-06-2008, 05:01 PM

It's still there, and it's a new one this year.

Yellow letters on green background _"North Dakota State University" down each sideline, and "Bison" in the endzones.

Herd Mentality
09-07-2008, 05:59 AM
It's still there, and it's a new one this year.

Yellow letters on green background _"North Dakota State University" down each sideline, and "Bison" in the endzones.

Not really...it used to go ALL the way around. Considering I spent the 2nd half with my feat hanging through the railing...i can assure you it's not there anymore. :nod:

roadwarrior
09-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Not really...it used to go ALL the way around. Considering I spent the 2nd half with my feat hanging through the railing...i can assure you it's not there anymore. :nod:

Its been moved to below the railings.

Bisonguy
09-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Yeah, no more packing tape on the railings. It's still there, just now the players cover up most of it.

I'll find some photographic evidence later.