PDA

View Full Version : Central Connecticut offense

tony
09-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Looks like the Blue Devils have a running offense. They ran for over 200 yards against FBS Western Michigan and Towson State (Towson State's claim to fame last year was beating Richmond - Richmond is currently #3 in the polls). One of their backs got 250 yards last week. They led the nation in rushing offense in 2006 and were in the top 10 in 2007. This should be a decent physical test for the defense.

Like NDSU, their QB is very efficient - probably because their rushing attack was so potent.

Must. Stop. The. Run.

westnodak93bison
09-02-2008, 01:12 PM
does their head coach have ties to NDSU some how or did we play against him at one time?

1bizon1
09-02-2008, 03:13 PM
One of the Asst's, don't remember who. Someone with a better memory help me out here.....

tony
09-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Their head coach,Jeff McInerney, was part of Bohl's first coaching staff at NDSU - he coached defensive line.

OldBison
09-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Looks like the Blue Devils have a running offense. They ran for over 200 yards against FBS Western Michigan and Towson State (Towson State's claim to fame last year was beating Richmond - Richmond is currently #3 in the polls). One of their backs got 250 yards last week. They led the nation in rushing offense in 2006 and were in the top 10 in 2007. This should be a decent physical test for the defense.

Like NDSU, their QB is very efficient - probably because their rushing attack was so potent.

Must. Stop. The. Run.

Mallory was the back who got 253 yds rushing. CCSU rushed for 270, so yes, rushing is their game.

Given that special teams is not the Bison forte, CCSU will give NDSU a challenge. They blocked two punts in the game which accounted for 14 of their points.

http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17600&ATCLID=1572410

Yikes!

roadwarrior
09-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Maresh will be back playing this week. Look for another good outing by the Bison Defense!

cvbison1
09-02-2008, 06:24 PM
i agree, i think our D is going to be to much for CC, and our ground game will get roehling.

Bison"FANatic"
09-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Here is a quote from CCSU fan board. It made me smile.:D

"NDSU is an FBS team in an FCS world. They are good and serious about their football."

tcbison
09-02-2008, 06:35 PM

"NDSU is an FBS team in an FCS world. They are good and serious about their football."

That sounds about right. Good post.

56BISON73
09-02-2008, 09:55 PM

Wow double smile. :D :D PL

tjbison
09-02-2008, 11:14 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=213474

From Kolpack

onbison09
09-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Do they run the power I or some other offense?

BisoninNWMN
09-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Their game against Bryant , a team that doesn't have 10 schollies, is not a good indication of their rushing game. The NEC is a joke of a conference...league not even at 40 schollies. Bison will roll on off and def
If this is a 4-5 td game it would be a "moral victory" for CCSU

Bison101
09-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Their game against Bryant , a team that doesn't have 10 schollies, is not a good indication of their rushing game. The NEC is a joke of a conference...league not even at 40 schollies. Bison will roll on off and def
If this is a 4-5 td game it would be a "moral victory" for CCSU

Well, don't count your you-know-whats before they hatch, if you catch my drift!

56BISON73
09-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Never underestimate and never talk ill of an opponent. If you do it has a strange way of coming back to bite you on the butt when you least expect it. PL

larson311
09-03-2008, 12:56 AM
I got my student ticket today, does anyone know what ticket sales are looking like for this weekend?

Bisonguy
09-03-2008, 01:12 AM
I got my student ticket today, does anyone know what ticket sales are looking like for this weekend?

Fair to partly cloudy, with a 100% chance of THUNDER!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist :D )

Section 6 Row II are the seats given for online ordering, so it looks like ticket sales might be slower than last week, but IMO more people will actually be in the seats this week.

larson311
09-03-2008, 01:28 AM
There was a pretty good line of students at the BSA today already and there was one person buying 4 GA tickets....there should be more people there though considering its on Saturday and not labor day weekend. Still might lose some people to harvest but what do ya do.

1bizon1
09-03-2008, 01:30 AM

Do you have the "linky" to their site. I couldn't find it. T.I.A. !

larson311
09-03-2008, 01:32 AM
http://ccsufans.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2

1bizon1
09-03-2008, 01:33 AM

Josh, in the ticket office, said that late this afternoon the line of people waitint to get tickets was still out the door. Plus the phones never stopped ringing. So, I would guess a good crowd again?!

larson311
09-03-2008, 01:41 AM
Josh, in the ticket office, said that late this afternoon the line of people waitint to get tickets was still out the door. Plus the phones never stopped ringing. So, I would guess a good crowd again?!

I posted that link for the ccsu forum on the last page...not sure if you saw that or not since it was the last post on the page :bow:

BisonNeil
09-03-2008, 01:41 AM
Never underestimate and never talk ill of an opponent. If you do it has a strange way of coming back to bite you on the butt when you least expect it. PL

You are absolutely right Pete. But don't think just because you are a former Bison football player that any of these bozos will listen to you. They just keep yapping crap. Be careful, you'll be labelled as "too conservative".

NWNDBison
09-03-2008, 01:56 AM
http://ccsufans.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2

Checked out the link to the Blue Devils fan forum. It was a great discussion. Respect on both sides. Glad to see those of you posting to their website were respectful of their team and effort.

Character Counts, as they like to say in the high schools.

Thank you for representing the Bison so responsibly.

MAKBison
09-03-2008, 05:57 AM
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/newMediaPlayer/console.htm?type=vod&oemid=17600&id=142090&ATCLID=1134901&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=88585&SPID=10551&DB_OEM_ID=17600&CLIP_ID=137425&CLIP_FILE_ID=142090

Coach MAC open MAC interview

BisoninNWMN
09-03-2008, 11:05 AM
You are absolutely right Pete. But don't think just because you are a former Bison football player that any of these bozos will listen to you. They just keep yapping crap. Be careful, you'll be labelled as "too conservative".

Oh boy....Bison better start scheduling Bemidji or UM-Crookston 'cus they are sure wins.:confused: :confused:

BisonNeil....since you have been on this board longer, makes you more of an expert, I guess.

Being a former player makes that opinion the "gold standard" right PL.

I wouldn't know either one of you guys if I ever bumped into you

Nothing wrong with being confident in your team....NEC is a joke and I am not changing that thought. There is no reason why a team,(league), with under 40 schollies, can come into the FFD and win....maybe compete for alittle awhile...but not win.

This board is for fun and that is exactly how I treat it. But don't show too much confidence or the "long standing members" will knock you back down into your place....there is a pecking order here:mad:

I wonder why lakes gets so much grief on this board???

Its good to have varying opinions on this board...and if calling the NEC a "joke" showing "ill-will"....well..it is what it is.

Feel free to come down to section 20 row c seats 4-8 and talk about it with me....it would be fun to actually meet some others here from Bisonville....I'm not a drinker...so don't tailgate much:D

Gully
09-03-2008, 11:24 AM
You don't have to drink to have fun tailgating.....at least that's what I'm told.:D

Tatanka
09-03-2008, 12:16 PM
You don't have to drink to have fun tailgating.....at least that's what I'm told.:D
+ +

rutlandbison
09-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Oh boy....Bison better start scheduling Bemidji or UM-Crookston 'cus they are sure wins.:confused: :confused:

BisonNeil....since you have been on this board longer, makes you more of an expert, I guess.

Nothing wrong with being confident in your team....NEC is a joke and I am not changing that thought. There is no reason why a team,(league), with under 40 schollies, can come into the FFD and win....maybe compete for alittle awhile...but not win.

This board is for fun and that is exactly how I treat it. But don't show too much confidence or the "long standing members" will knock you back down into your place....there is a pecking order here:mad:

Its good to have varying opinions on this board...and if calling the NEC a "joke" showing "ill-will"....well..it is what it is.

Feel free to come down to section 20 row c seats 4-8 and talk about it with me....it would be fun to actually meet some others here from Bisonville....I'm not a drinker...so don't tailgate much:D

Way to throw it down

Flintstone
09-03-2008, 12:45 PM

I sit in the row behind you.

westnodak93bison
09-03-2008, 12:52 PM
their d line looks kind of light, I wonder if they will do a bunch of stunts like AP?

DE 6-4 220 So. Waterbury, CT (Crosby)
DE 6-4 240 Sr. New Canaan, CT (New Canaan)
DE 6-2 230 So. Madison, CT (Hand)
DE 6-3 245 Jr. Lawrence, MA (Lawrence)
DE 6-2 235 Jr. Miami, FL (Christopher Columbus)
DE 6-0 215 Jr. Temple Hills, MD (Oxon Hill)
DL 5-10 215 Fr. Bristol, CT (Bristol Eastern)
DL 6-2 235 Fr. Meriden, CT (Cheshire Academy)
DL 6-2 220 Sr. Layton, NJ (Kittatinny Regional)
DL 6-2 275 Fr. Stamford, CT (Westhill)
DL 6-1 285 Sr. Thiells, NY (Northland JC)
DL 5-10 270 Fr. Rochester, NY (Wilson Magnet)
DL 6-2 210 Fr. Greenwich, CT (Greenwich)

KC Bison
09-03-2008, 01:01 PM
I have read some of the Central Conn. boards and they seem pretty realistic about having little chance of winning the game Saturday. It's looks like it would be pretty difficult to start a fight with them cuz they're only hoping not bragging.

I have to agree with PL that there is no point in firing up any opponent team before a game. Let your bragging begin after the game.

TransAmBison
09-03-2008, 02:08 PM

You really had me going for a moment!!!! :rofl: :rofl:

fargocyclone
09-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Can't remember if this was already posted or not, but CCSU has one of the four CSN National All-Stars (9/1/2008) (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=csn-national-all-stars-9-1-2008&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1) in RB James Mallory.

larson311
09-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Can't remember if this was already posted or not, but CCSU has one of the four CSN National All-Stars (9/1/2008) (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=csn-national-all-stars-9-1-2008&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1) in RB James Mallory.

He went off for some big yards, but I'm not sure how much stock you can put into it since it was against Bryant.

GOB1SON
09-04-2008, 02:41 AM
their d line looks kind of light, I wonder if they will do a bunch of stunts like AP?

DE 6-4 220 So. Waterbury, CT (Crosby)
DE 6-4 240 Sr. New Canaan, CT (New Canaan)
DE 6-2 230 So. Madison, CT (Hand)
DE 6-3 245 Jr. Lawrence, MA (Lawrence)
DE 6-2 235 Jr. Miami, FL (Christopher Columbus)
DE 6-0 215 Jr. Temple Hills, MD (Oxon Hill)
DL 5-10 215 Fr. Bristol, CT (Bristol Eastern)
DL 6-2 235 Fr. Meriden, CT (Cheshire Academy)
DL 6-2 220 Sr. Layton, NJ (Kittatinny Regional)
DL 6-2 275 Fr. Stamford, CT (Westhill)
DL 6-1 285 Sr. Thiells, NY (Northland JC)
DL 5-10 270 Fr. Rochester, NY (Wilson Magnet)
DL 6-2 210 Fr. Greenwich, CT (Greenwich)

Kind of light? Supposedly these are the interior lineman.

They had better be quick and skilled!

HerdBot
09-04-2008, 05:25 AM

Must. Stop. The. Run.

How about the home field advantage? They typically play in front of road crowds of only a few thousand. The largest crowd they have played in front of was 15,000 at Western Michigan. Not sure if they are as loud as 19,000 in the dome but they didn't have any false start penalties so they must be fundamentally sound. Hopefully we can change that!

To say they like to run the ball is the understatement of the year. Even in a blowout, they only threw the ball 8 times and he only two drives they scored on, they ran the ball every single time. In another drive, they even ran the ball on 3rd and 19 and broke a long one for a 1st down. But they are sloppy with the football and only fumbled 4 times.

Their QB appears to run a lot too.

Why do they run so much? Because they don't appear to be very good at passing. They dropped back 11 times and completed 4 passes for 27 yards. They were sacked 3 times and had an INT returned for a TD.

Their defense will be completely over matched whether we run or pass. Western Michigan could have scored 100 points if they wanted to. They ran the ball 3 times in the entire 2nd half.

Easy win.

FYI: They do have a big O-line with most of them approaching 300

Thundering Herd
09-04-2008, 05:44 AM

1000 rep points for this guy!!! :D

sway1331
09-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Here is a nice link to a publication put out by CCSU this week.

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf1/138470.pdf?SPID=695&SPSID=11850&KEY=FQPYCUZGLSFZPAL.20080903042950&DB_ACCOUNT_TYPE=AGENT&TITAN_ACTIVE=YES&DB_MENU_ID=2768&DB_LANG=C&OLD_MODE=publishing&DB_OEM_ID=2400

Last week they won 42-35, but they got 14 of those points off two blocked punt returns and another 7 off of a 70 yard pass. Bison need to stop them from these type of big plays.

SDbison
09-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Here is a nice link to a publication put out by CCSU this week.

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf1/138470.pdf?SPID=695&SPSID=11850&KEY=FQPYCUZGLSFZPAL.20080903042950&DB_ACCOUNT_TYPE=AGENT&TITAN_ACTIVE=YES&DB_MENU_ID=2768&DB_LANG=C&OLD_MODE=publishing&DB_OEM_ID=2400

Last week they won 42-35, but they got 14 of those points off two blocked punt returns and another 7 off of a 70 yard pass. Bison need to stop them from these type of big plays.
Looks like CCSU does well if they have a lead, but implodes otherwise:
CCSU is 29-14 since 2004:
24-0 when scoring first
17-2 when leading end of Q1
24-0 when leading end of Q2
25-1 when leading end of Q3
I don't think NDSU will let CCSU take the lead anytime.

Scooter1
09-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Looks like CCSU does well if they have a lead, but implodes otherwise:
CCSU is 29-14 since 2004:
24-0 when scoring first
17-2 when leading end of Q1
24-0 when leading end of Q2
25-1 when leading end of Q3
I don't think NDSU will let CCSU take the lead anytime.

Interresting stats. Thanks.

I assume that you think they will be 24-1 if they score first on Saturday.:p

tony
09-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I am kind of changing my mind - I thought this might be a little tougher test than people think. Carson-Newman had some success running the option and Northwestern State had some success too and this team did beat Georgia Southern at Georgia Southern (had to be the biggest upset in DI-AA that year).

However, CCSU sounds like their young and I just can't picture an option offense having much success - I think our DEs will really screw up their option. And Maresh is back. I still expect this to be a very physical game - hopefully nobody on either team gets banged up.

Scooter1
09-05-2008, 04:31 PM
OK, it's about 30 hours from kickoff..here's my take on this game. There are a few CCSU fans that seam to think that the JC transfer quarterback is better than Norris. Their head coach seams to think that he is very nervous but that will go away. Norris will get the start, but I just can't see some of the posters thinking that this nerous JC transfer could do a better job keeping this game close than Norris. While I was watching CCSU's last game, two things jumped out; if not for two punt blocks for TD and two big offensive plays, CCSU would have lost to Bryant. Bryant moved the ball very well on this CCSU defense. I would also remark that I thought that Bryant looked very slow. CCSU is going to be forced to run the football because their quarterback isn't going to have the time to throw the ball. Look for roll outs every time CCSU goes to throw the ball because the pocket is going to collapse on their QB fast. Lardinois, Compton, Fairbairn and Gratzek are light years better than what CCSU faced last Saturday.
As far as defense goes...these guys typically give up a ton of points and to some pretty suspect competition. They are way to small on the defensive line and should get pushed around. This is the perfect kind of game for a kid like Austin Richard to start. If he has a good game the sky could be the limit. Look for a lot of big plays because there is no way this defense will be able to stop NDSU strait up. They're going to have to do a ton of stunting. look for them to show Richard a lot of different looks. The fact that Richard is in the process of learning center should help him understand what the defense will be trying to throw at him. septak will be just fine at center, he has playing experience and does well. One wrong guess and our backs will be off to the races. The Bison will win this one going away by more than 30 points.

OldBison
09-05-2008, 05:53 PM
They are way to small on the defensive line and should get pushed around. This is the perfect kind of game for a kid like Austin Richard to start. If he has a good game the sky could be the limit. Look for a lot of big plays because there is no way this defense will be able to stop NDSU strait up. They're going to have to do a ton of stunting. look for them to show Richard a lot of different looks. The fact that Richard is in the process of learning center should help him understand what the defense will be trying to throw at him. septak will be just fine at center, he has playing experience and does well. One wrong guess and our backs will be off to the races. The Bison will win this one going away by more than 30 points.

NDSU couldn't handle the quickness of APs DL and they couldn't handle the stunts. If Perles didn't get them schooled up on that it could be a very long day for NDSU running the football, AGAIN! If that happens, look for ever team in the country to do the same.

This OL has yet to prove to me they are even close to being as good as previous years OLs. I hope I am wrong, but this game scares me if Mertens isn't as hot as he was last week.

tcbison
09-05-2008, 06:24 PM
NDSU couldn't handle the quickness of APs DL and they couldn't handle the stunts. If Perles didn't get them schooled up on that it could be a very long day for NDSU running the football, AGAIN! If that happens, look for ever team in the country to do the same.

This OL has yet to prove to me they are even close to being as good as previous years OLs. I hope I am wrong, but this game scares me if Mertens isn't as hot as he was last week.

Maybe you are right but when any team puts 9 or more in the box the best thing to do is pass the ball, not run. Play action pass and throw it to the open receiver.

If we beat every team 40 something to 7 like last week. I'll take that!

Bisonguy
09-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I am kind of changing my mind - I thought this might be a little tougher test than people think. Carson-Newman had some success running the option and Northwestern State had some success too and this team did beat Georgia Southern at Georgia Southern (had to be the biggest upset in DI-AA that year).

However, CCSU sounds like their young and I just can't picture an option offense having much success - I think our DEs will really screw up their option. And Maresh is back. I still expect this to be a very physical game - hopefully nobody on either team gets banged up.

Wasn't it Nicholls State that ran the option? I thought Northwestern State just shoved the D-Line back eight yards in the first half and ran it straight down NDSU's throat.

Scooter1
09-05-2008, 10:52 PM

That's an interesting take on the game last week. I find it odd that the stunts weren't able to get to Mertens when he tried to pass. Also, we really didn't do any reverses to keep them honest,because we didn't need to. I think the offensive line did better than most people perceive they did.

BisoninNWMN
09-05-2008, 11:49 PM
9 guys.....sometimes all 11 were 2 yds off the ball!!!! Tough for 5 o-linemen and a te to block all that.

Bryant is a team that doesn't even have 10 schollies:confused: :confused:

Bison will roll. Shut down run...they can't pass

Bison by at least 30

larson311
09-06-2008, 12:18 AM

So if this game scares you, then are you going to hide and cry when we get into conference play? The o-line played fine last week. AP focused on stopping the run which they did so Mertens went for 304.. Thats what good teams do

BisoninNWMN
09-06-2008, 03:17 AM
So if this game scares you, then are you going to hide and cry when we get into conference play? The o-line played fine last week. AP focused on stopping the run which they did so Mertens went for 304.. Thats what good teams do

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

O-line could have played better...but defense sold out on stopping the run.

Let me see.....................................Am I scared?????

Fu** no.......Bison will steam-roll CCSU:D

Bison_Pride
09-06-2008, 07:23 PM
http://www.newbritainherald.com/site/news.cfm?DB_OEM_ID=17600&newsid=20108785&BRD=1641&PAG=461&dept_id=17739&rfi=6

I was at Sidestreet Pub last night. The coaches from CCU were there and the team was staying at the Howard Johnsons hotel. I happened to see most of the guys as they walked through the lobby and I must say I was very impressed with their size. I was reminded that they aren't an NAIA or DIII school, they come to play.

I was chatting with the Dad of one of the players too, and one of the CCU coaches came by right after they returned from their practice, and he came over and showed the Dad some pictures he had taken with his cell phone. They both had that "oh SH**" look on their face. The Dad say's "just like Western Michigan" (team they played last year) and the coach nods. I asked the coach if he just came from the Dome and he said "Yeah.........very impressive". They all seemed to know that the game was already sold out.

They looked very big and athletic, but I think they will play into NDSU's strength.