PDA

View Full Version : Quarterback play?

ddaly15
08-30-2008, 06:16 AM
For those of you who were at the game what were your impressions of the play of the new quarterback?

HerdBot
08-30-2008, 07:03 AM
For those of you who were at the game what were your impressions of the play of the new quarterback?

Great arm, throws a laser, taller and can run... had a ton of time. Great touch on the fade. Threw a few too hard but overall looked great. Made good reads. Made 1 bad throw. Too early to tell since it's against a weaker team but he certainly looked good and didn't play down to the level of the competion. How can you argue with the numbers. So far so good.

tjbison
08-30-2008, 12:49 PM
agreed, but one thing I noticed Kole had to slow down or come back to at least 3 balls 2 of those would have been TD's if Nick had hit him in stride, same thing for Wurz's 2nd play of the game, he had to slow down which gave a window for the DB to catch up, but not bad that thats the only real complaint!! I'm very confident that we'll be just fine.

lakesbison
09-02-2008, 03:25 PM
I Told You So...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

tony
09-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Can't do much better than completing 88.9% and throwing 3 TDs.

Bison bison
09-02-2008, 03:32 PM
pretty average.

Had a ranking of 274.64:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=175017

which was higher than any other DI quarterback:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/sortables?year=2008&sort=rat&stat=pass&group=80

but dammit we're bison it should have been like 500.

lakesbison
09-02-2008, 03:34 PM
ha ha.. thats hilarious!! NDB2 !

projected over 3,000 yards!

bisonmike2
09-02-2008, 03:34 PM
I was very impressed with Mertens. Great arm, and he can really scoot into the open. He almost looked like a RB when he took off on that 25 yard scramble. Some people are unimpressed with the opponent but the DB's were all returning starters for them and some APSU fans were suggesting that they were the stregth of the team. Mertens will face better defensive backs this year but I think the first game goes a long ways towards proving that he is a legit QB.

lakesbison
09-02-2008, 04:09 PM
he will be solid.. no worries!

GOB1SON
09-02-2008, 04:37 PM
I agree that he is going to be very good. He has a hell of an arm! When he steps up into the pocket and guns it, it flies!

The timing with his recievers will get better the more he plays at game speeds.

His line in his first game.

16-18 88.9% 304 3 TD 1 Int Rating = 274.64

Walker Texas Rangers first two games (I included the almost comback against UNC (talk about a vision of things to come) and his first true start against Northwestern State.)

18-21 85.7% 243 2 TD 0 Int Rating = 214.34

Walker was RF and Nick is a Jr.

Just for fun.

Oh, and does anybody know what happened to Vincent Jackson, who was supposedly the next coming of Jerry Rice? Curious.

tcbison
09-02-2008, 05:39 PM
I agree that he is going to be very good. He has a hell of an arm! When he steps up into the pocket and guns it, it flies!

The timing with his recievers will get better the more he plays at game speeds.

His line in his first game.

16-18 88.9% 304 3 TD 1 Int Rating = 274.64

Walker Texas Rangers first two games (I included the almost comback against UNC (talk about a vision of things to come) and his first true start against Northwestern State.)

18-21 85.7% 243 2 TD 0 Int Rating = 214.34

Walker was RF and Nick is a Jr.

Just for fun.

Oh, and does anybody know what happened to Vincent Jackson, who was supposedly the next coming of Jerry Rice? Curious.

Vincent Jackson plays(starts) for the San Diego Chargers.

OldBison
09-02-2008, 05:53 PM
I agree with everything that has been said about Nick. A great start to his career.

He did throw behind some receivers, in other words, they did make him look good, but I agree he has the talent to quickly get up to game speed and make that adjustment.

On another thread he was encouraged to slide when he runs. I second that. We need him healthy for 15 games.

Things to improve on:

1) Don't lock onto one receiver, which he tended to do. That will cost him against other teams, i.e., WY(?).

2) Make faster reads. He had all kinds of time against AP and he frequently took all of that time before he delivered. He fumbled on what could probably be termed a coverage sack. I doubt he will have that much time in all of the games after CCSU.

bisonmike2
09-02-2008, 05:58 PM
I agree with everything that has been said about Nick. A great start to his career.

He did throw behind some receivers, in other words, they did make him look good, but I agree he has the talent to quickly get up to game speed and make that adjustment.

On another thread he was encouraged to slide when he runs. I second that. We need him healthy for 15 games.

Things to improve on:

1) Don't lock onto one receiver, which he tended to do. That will cost him against other teams, i.e., WY(?).

2) Make faster reads. He had all kinds of time against AP and he frequently took all of that time before he delivered. He fumbled on what could probably be termed a coverage sack. I doubt he will have that much time in all of the games after CCSU.

I agree with most of your post except that. I thought he fumbled when he rolled out on play action. He faked the hand off turned around and the def lineman was right there. I could be mistaken though.

OldBison
09-02-2008, 06:02 PM
I agree with most of your post except that. I thought he fumbled when he rolled out on play action. He faked the hand off turned around and the def lineman was right there. I could be mistaken though.

I am pretty sure he got tackled from behind, when he started to take off as the pocket collapsed, but I could be wrong.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
09-02-2008, 06:08 PM
I am pretty sure he got tackled from behind, when he started to take off as the pocket collapsed, but I could be wrong.

Yep, you are wrong. Mertens fumbled as he was rolling out on a play action pass on the teams first trip into the red zone. It was their first possession of the game, after the long pass play to Wurz.

imabison
09-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Yep, you are wrong. Mertens fumbled as he was rolling out on a play action pass on the teams first trip into the red zone. It was their first possession of the game, after the long pass play to Wurz.
And the fumble was caused by someone who missed a tackle, and the defender hit Mertens. Bohl blames it on a missed blocking assignment, not on Mertens.

Bison Dan
09-02-2008, 07:53 PM
And the fumble was caused by someone who missed a tackle, and the defender hit Mertens. Bohl blames it on a missed blocking assignment, not on Mertens.

That's what I saw - Landon Smith #84 missed the blitzing LB. He got a little talking to when he got to the sidelines!!

SlickVic
09-02-2008, 08:12 PM

yo mike were you at the game? big brother blows this season...when are we gonna ncaa with it???? i can get you in a decent dynasty those online dynastys are sick just let me no what team u want im starting one shortly w real rosters so let me no

A1pigskin
09-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Mertens did ok for his first full game. I think it'll take 3 more games before he get's into his groove. His arm has power but has to watch the overthrows.

GOB1SON
09-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Vincent Jackson plays(starts) for the San Diego Chargers.

Thanks. As soon as you posted, I remembered. He had a really good post-season last year and the announcers were all talking about his progress.

That's what happens when you get old. First the memory, then one morning you wake up and it just doesn't work anymore.

Bison101
09-03-2008, 01:35 AM

Which one?

Mertens was a stud (Lakes was correct).

Jackson- ?????????? Threw for only one pass.