PDA

View Full Version : Good Job Gold Star Band!!

BigBison
08-29-2008, 04:30 AM
I gotta say the band was 120% better than last year!!! The new Unis look great, blinking lights were awesome. 160 members strong. And the best looking drums that I've ever seen. Are the tubas new? if not they looked new to me. Good job GSB I could tell that your still practicing and working out the kinks(flag girls) but once everone gets their practice in it can only get better. Oh are they piping the music over the PA system? I think I'll be up loading some new band videos to youtube soon.

mebisonII
08-29-2008, 04:46 AM
I gotta say the band was 120% better than last year!!! The new Unis look great, blinking lights were awesome. 160 members strong. And the best looking drums that I've ever seen. Are the tubas new? if not they looked new to me. Good job GSB I could tell that your still practicing and working out the kinks(flag girls) but once everone gets their practice in it can only get better. Oh are they piping the music over the PA system? I think I'll be up loading some new band videos to youtube soon.

The tubas were new a few (4ish?) years ago...courtesy of the Dr. Chapman's funds, I think. I believe they were also piping the music. At least that's what people said would be done. I was listening online and thought it was great to hear the band in the background!

Blinking lights? Where are the blinking lights?

Let us know if you upload band videos, I can't wait to see!

BigBison
08-29-2008, 04:51 AM
I read on Kolpacks Blog that they were piping in music over the PA must of been just right because it was louder but to ramming it into your head loud.

TbonZach
08-29-2008, 05:08 AM
I gotta say the band was 120% better than last year!!! The new Unis look great, blinking lights were awesome. And the best looking drums that I've ever seen. Good job GSB I could tell that your still practicing and working out the kinks(flag girls) but once everone gets their practice in it can only get better. Oh are they piping the music over the PA system?

Thanks. This was a marked improvement for the first game from years past. There are definitely some kinks to be worked out (like me not knowing drill for the closer because I was gone the day the band learned it :banghead:), but it still rocked.

Yep. The band was mic'ed tonight. I was marching/playing around the Dome with a few other drum line members and I over heard it over near the north endzone. "Wow! You can actually hear the band!"

Blinking lights? Where are the blinking lights?

As for the blinking lights they were worn on the uniforms and used for pre game. Personally I think they were tacky and had no other purpose other than blinking... but who am I to say?

Herd Mentality
08-29-2008, 07:51 AM
I about lost it when the band played "I kissed a girl".....I never thought I'd hear that at the game.

sambini
08-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Great job Gold Star+++++

Tatanka
08-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Awesome job band!!!!!

Bison"FANatic"
08-29-2008, 02:29 PM
The band did a great job. Looked good. Having them pumped through the sound system really made for a better atmosphere. I personally liked the blinking lights. It is different but it is a way to take advantage of the dome and being able to turn the lights off or down.

Good job!!!!!!!

BigBison
08-29-2008, 02:32 PM
the blinking lights are good for the pre game show when the lights are turned off. it helps to see you guys better from the stands.

BisBison
08-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Loved it all!!! They do need to do some work on the PA system though, when the band plays in the stands there's an echo, 1st game snafu though, I'm sure that can be fixed.

tjbison
08-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Loved them, glad to hear the them mic'ed up!!!!!

56BISON73
08-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Outstanding job. Was very impressed. The fans liked it to.
Now ya gotta work on getting those lines straightened out.:D PL

roadwarrior
08-29-2008, 06:48 PM
The lines weren't straight? I wonder why I didn't notice?:cheers:

d3boys
08-29-2008, 07:11 PM
The lines weren't straight? I wonder why I didn't notice?:cheers:

you and the other 5000 tailgaters

Gully
08-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Good job band! I thought the band was much improved...although I didn't get to see as much as I'd have like due to long lines for bathroooms/concessions. I guess I'll put up with the long lines gladly if it means we have sellouts.

TbonZach
08-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Now ya gotta work on getting those lines straightened out.:D PL

*while learning drill*

"Ok, now the trumpets are going make a curve."
"...You mean a GSMB straight line?"

Along those lines (sorry, bad pun) for those of you that saw it, what did ya'll think about the new way the band gets onto the field for pre game. I'm not sure what to think about it. Part of me thinks there was nothing wrong with the old way. The other part of me thinks that this is a new era - an era of change. Thoughts?

BigBison
08-29-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure what to think about it. Part of me thinks there was nothing wrong with the old way. The other part of me thinks that this is a new era - an era of change. Thoughts?

I thought the way the band ran out on the field was good, I like the drum majors bending over backward. However I'd kinda like to see the band run out of the tunnels on to the field. Have the drum line march out to the 10-20 yard line then have the rest of the band march out of the bison helmet or maybe have the band march half out of the helmet and the other of the other side(the north west corner) I know thats kinda how Minnesota does it but I kinda like how they run out of the field. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEpbSZF9-E4 Kind of like this video, but have half the band run out of one corner tunnel and the other half on the other corner tunnel.

56BISON73
08-30-2008, 12:00 AM
*while learning drill*

"Ok, now the trumpets are going make a curve."
"...You mean a GSMB straight line?"

Along those lines (sorry, bad pun) for those of you that saw it, what did ya'll think about the new way the band gets onto the field for pre game. I'm not sure what to think about it. Part of me thinks there was nothing wrong with the old way. The other part of me thinks that this is a new era - an era of change. Thoughts?

It was fine with me. PL

HerdBot
08-30-2008, 06:34 AM

LOVED IT! Being miked was great. Love the new drums. Would still like a little more volume.

A1pigskin
08-28-2016, 06:34 PM
IMO the band seemed to have grown since last year. Are there more members this year than last year?

imabison
08-29-2016, 01:59 AM
IMO the band seemed to have grown since last year. Are there more members this year than last year?
Without having an official count I would agree.

bisonfanette
08-29-2016, 04:20 AM
I saw the drum line practicing outside last Friday, and I thought... this is going to be good! They didn't disappoint! Hats off to the BAND!!!
(Remember, if you chose to donate a little $ to Ndsu, you can also designate it for the band! You'll get a letter of "thanks" in the mail!)

THEsocalledfan
08-29-2016, 11:59 AM
I was also very pleased by the band. Numbers looked great; even texted a band alumni buddy of mine to let him know. Sig must have hit the recruiting trail. Just not enough marching band programs in ND to them them passively come to you.

mebisonII
08-29-2016, 02:14 PM

The alumni newsletter said "close to 200" and hoping to pick up a few more last minute joiners.

Bison03
08-29-2016, 05:14 PM
I was also very pleased by the band. Numbers looked great; even texted a band alumni buddy of mine to let him know. Sig must have hit the recruiting trail. Just not enough marching band programs in ND to them them passively come to you.

Should be easy to recuit. Come join he band, play to a packed house 9 times a year, take a title trip to Frisco every year!! I was in the band in 97, 98. Great experience, but not as fun as they are having now days. Band looked and sounded great!

Hammersmith
08-30-2016, 12:34 AM
Should be easy to recuit. Come join he band, play to a packed house 9 times a year, take a title trip to Frisco every year!! I was in the band in 97, 98. Great experience, but not as fun as they are having now days. Band looked and sounded great!

What section were you in? We were there at the same time. (or have we had this conversation before?)

Started glide step with my band today. We'll hit the football field tomorrow. Want to do a basic field show next year for at least one game. It will be the first time for my school in many, many years.

Bison03
08-30-2016, 03:02 AM
What section were you in? We were there at the same time. (or have we had this conversation before?)

Started glide step with my band today. We'll hit the football field tomorrow. Want to do a basic field show next year for at least one game. It will be the first time for my school in many, many years.
Best section in the band...saxaphone.

Hammersmith
08-30-2016, 03:21 AM
Best section in the band...saxaphone.

Then we definitely knew each other. I was one of the tenors in 97 and a DM in 98. Though I'll be honest and say that almost 20 years has dulled my memories quite a bit. I remember the saxophone music majors from that time pretty well(since we spent so much time together), but the non-majors(which I assume you were) all sort of blend together.

A1pigskin
09-05-2016, 12:37 PM
My youngest says the best part of games is halftime to watch the band.

Hammersmith
09-16-2016, 01:55 AM
Current or recent GSMB members: Who arranged your version of Wayward Son? I'm only seeing the one by Michael Sweeney online, but it doesn't sound like the one you're doing. Hoping to find a better one than Sweeney's. Wish Tom Wallace had one.

Also, tell Sig or your leaders to look into Runaway Baby by Wallace. One of the best MB arrangements in years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngN4giXnCo4

A1pigskin
03-18-2017, 12:29 PM
I think it would be real awesome if the band came up with a unique concert like play of Thunder Struck before the game or halftime. I've seen videos of women playing violin's or someone with bag pipes etc.... Something like this would get the crowd going. I also think it would bring more attention to the GSMB.