PDA

View Full Version : Mertens Great Performance, Rushing, Not So Hot

IBleedYellow
08-29-2008, 03:17 AM
So, congratz to Nick Mertens for doing a great job in his first college start as the Bison QB. Only saw a few little errors, and one INT where it looked like he was trying to thread the needle, and didn't see that 2nd man. Not to mention his accuracy, and bullets that he threw. Looking forward to the rest of the year.

What also was great was how long Mertens was able to stand in the pocket, just waiting for those receivers to pop out, which wasn't taking long anyways. I remember talking with my dad saying "Mertens is still in the pocket...It's not collapsing, I...uh...I think it's getting BIGGER!!" Good job O-Line.

What scares me, and kind of had me mad during the game, was the rushing game. In the first half it was non-existent. Was AP just THAT ready to stop the rush, where we not blocking well. I'd like to see people's opinions.
I personally thought that it was a mix of both, they were READY to stop the rush. Many times they had 8 men in the box, just waiting.

Defense, might be better than last year, even without Joe Mays, who I will always miss. And we all know Philly loves him.

So now it's everyone else's turns, what did you all think?

heckler
08-29-2008, 03:20 AM
I agree our rushing game was ok at best... I don't think it even got to that level. Lots of stops in the backfield by AP. But I do remember last year and how it started out... Great chemistry with the Mertens and the WRs.

missingnumber7
08-29-2008, 03:42 AM
I think the rushing game goes on the OL. There just weren't holes, or cutback lanes. Pat would move one direction and then the flow would get to him before he could get to the lane. Roehl needs more space to get that head of steam going.

As for Mertens, the one thing that really impressed me is how he moved in the pocket, a little step up here to make a better throw, a slide step right to get a better throwing window there. He stood in the pocket, but what showed me the glimpse of what could happen was the bison boot where he had two windows that opened and closed quickly, he waved Wurzbacher to the end zone and then instead of forcing a pass as the safety floated over top, he used the blocker he had and tucked it and got the first down.

Another Offensive observation, Heck...is a friggen stud. He's a smart receiver, has great hands, is willing to take a hit, and has a few moves to go with the speed burst. I have a feeling that he will be pepsi player of the game several more times.

As for the Defense...par for the course. I was a little worried about the lack of a turnover for all the pressure that we had on the QB, but hey its all good. I was happy with the coverage, and its nice to hear a Kittleson announced again.

Special teams was more of a heartache to me than our running game. Bibeau has nice depth on his kicks, he makes them return, but their guy was just running into the wedge and coming up with yards. Not fun. A nice punt return by Belquist, I miss shamen. And its wierd seeing #8 on offense.

Also a comment on the noise. This was the first time I haven't sat in the student section. (I'm in the lower portion of 24) But to me it really didn't seem that loud. It had the atmosphere of an NFL preseason game. Plus was the first time I have ever sat for a play, stood up in reaction (Heck's second TD) and got told to sit down. grrrr.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-29-2008, 03:44 AM
We had 149 yards rushing, 304 yards passing. I was listening to the game on the radio while I was scouting for geese. It sounded like AP was selling out on the run. According to Hanson, 8 guys in the box most of the night. I think it was the old football adage, you take what the defense gives you.

We averaged 3.7 yards per carry. Pretty average, but not bad. We just decided to pass because that is what the defense gave us. I don't see any problem with this. Actually it is encouraging. We have shown that we are more than a one dimensional offense. Opportunistic teams win games.

The defense looked great. I think it will be much better than last year. We are a more solid all around team this year.

AP was good tune-up. Next victim...CC State. :hungry:

IBleedYellow
08-29-2008, 03:48 AM
One more thing I forgot to mention, is that we did very well with the passing game, and doing what the defense would give us, looked like Mertens saw when they had 8 guys in the box, or when they had 6.

walknroehl
08-29-2008, 03:48 AM
I'm not concerned they were selling out on the run testing an unproven QB and I guess we all saw Mertens was more than up to the task.

HooliganBison
08-29-2008, 04:00 AM
AP definitely came in the the attitude we are not going to let them run all over us, 8-9 men the in box reguarly. The bison took what was given to them and did very well with it. I know we would rather see them run the whole second half just to seal the game, but there is not a lot of point if it's going to lead to a 3 and out because AP is selling out on defense.

CaBisonFan
08-29-2008, 04:01 AM
So, congratz to Nick Mertens for doing a great job in his first college start as the Bison QB. Only saw a few little errors, and one INT where it looked like he was trying to thread the needle, and didn't see that 2nd man. Not to mention his accuracy, and bullets that he threw. Looking forward to the rest of the year.

What also was great was how long Mertens was able to stand in the pocket, just waiting for those receivers to pop out, which wasn't taking long anyways. I remember talking with my dad saying "Mertens is still in the pocket...It's not collapsing, I...uh...I think it's getting BIGGER!!" Good job O-Line.

What scares me, and kind of had me mad during the game, was the rushing game. In the first half it was non-existent. Was AP just THAT ready to stop the rush, where we not blocking well. I'd like to see people's opinions.
I personally thought that it was a mix of both, they were READY to stop the rush. Many times they had 8 men in the box, just waiting.

Defense, might be better than last year, even without Joe Mays, who I will always miss. And we all know Philly loves him.

I wasn't there, and only saw it on the computer, but it looked like AP keyed heavily on the run...leaving the passing game wide open.

I suspect; however, that getting the new chemistry and timing down on the offensive line is still in the works. Pass blocking seemed mostly outstanding, but the timing of rush blocking might be a focus for next week.

d3boys
08-29-2008, 04:21 AM
one thing i saw that hurt the running game is that mertens needs to sell fakes alot better
it seems that the defense knew where we were running almost every time

Civil06
08-29-2008, 04:22 AM
AP also made some nice tackles. Their small DBs got low and got the job done and their D-line didn't miss very many when they had a chance.

HooliganBison
08-29-2008, 04:24 AM
I forgot to talk about the defense, they were outstanding. AP 0-11 on 3rd down conversions. I was joking around with a buddy that NDSU's defense was putting up video game type numbers in the first half. And yes their touchdown was a terrible call, but we should not have been in that position anyways. Kickoff coverage was terrible. I don't know NDSU's scheme but it looked like noone was staying in their lanes.

TheDoctor
08-29-2008, 04:26 AM
The "Diesel" definitely looked liek he was running on E-85 tonight. OUCH! ;)

No_Skill
08-29-2008, 04:58 AM
I think the rushing game goes on the OL. There just weren't holes, or cutback lanes. Pat would move one direction and then the flow would get to him before he could get to the lane. Roehl needs more space to get that head of steam going.

As for Mertens, the one thing that really impressed me is how he moved in the pocket, a little step up here to make a better throw, a slide step right to get a better throwing window there. He stood in the pocket, but what showed me the glimpse of what could happen was the bison boot where he had two windows that opened and closed quickly, he waved Wurzbacher to the end zone and then instead of forcing a pass as the safety floated over top, he used the blocker he had and tucked it and got the first down.

Another Offensive observation, Heck...is a friggen stud. He's a smart receiver, has great hands, is willing to take a hit, and has a few moves to go with the speed burst. I have a feeling that he will be pepsi player of the game several more times.

As for the Defense...par for the course. I was a little worried about the lack of a turnover for all the pressure that we had on the QB, but hey its all good. I was happy with the coverage, and its nice to hear a Kittleson announced again.

Special teams was more of a heartache to me than our running game. Bibeau has nice depth on his kicks, he makes them return, but their guy was just running into the wedge and coming up with yards. Not fun. A nice punt return by Belquist, I miss shamen. And its wierd seeing #8 on offense.

Also a comment on the noise. This was the first time I haven't sat in the student section. (I'm in the lower portion of 24) But to me it really didn't seem that loud. It had the atmosphere of an NFL preseason game. Plus was the first time I have ever sat for a play, stood up in reaction (Heck's second TD) and got told to sit down. grrrr.

Wow...are you me? My exact experience today...well, I'm in 21.

NDSUFan_Sav
08-29-2008, 05:18 AM
alright there's been a lot said about the running, well their game plan wasn't to run the ball a bunch, they don't have all their running game ready and they're waiting for Wyoming game.....so i'm not worried bout the running game in the future....Mertens had nice thrown balls, especially the one thrown to heckendorf in the corner of the endzone.........BISON FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SirHinn
08-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Nick had a fantastic game but I gotta give some love to Kole. He had perhaps one of the best games I've seen him play. He made some absolute spectacular catches as well as after the catch! Also gotta give huge credit to the defense. Like other people have said though, tough to run when there are 8 guys in the box. They forced the Bison to beat them in the air and they did exactly that. The D line got pressure, the linebackers were all over the field, and the secondary was solid! They dominated every aspect of the game. Now to discuss by far the glaring weakness, special teams play. Kickoff coverage was absolutely terrible, no excuse for that. Anytime your kicker has to make 2 tackles, that can't be good. Several of Bibeau kickoffs were line drivers that lacked distance. Prelvitz looked solid in his first game. Overall, an absolute fantastic first game. Guarantee though Craig will be upset about special teams.

met1990
08-29-2008, 06:40 AM
The "Diesel" definitely looked liek he was running on E-85 tonight. OUCH! ;)

Yes, I much prefer when he's running on diesel imported from Iran.

Herd Mentality
08-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Ok, WTF. It was obvious what AP had for a defensive game plan. (stack the box and hope the "rook" qb couldn't hack it)

Great job to Mert for making them pay for stacking the run. Apparently nobody is happy that they can get $5 off a pizza at Dominos on Monday.

The O-line will get it worked out. It looked like they were trying some different things as I noticed Richard played a lot of the game, but I could've swore that he didn't start.

I'm not too worried about kick coverage. That Holt kid is amazing if you watched what he actually was doing on kickoffs. I don't think I've ever seen a player take advantage of his size the way he did. Brilliant in my opinion.

Herd Mentality
08-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Oh....saw Roehl at Chubs late. He said something about "that p*ssy lakesbison who has to leave at halftime"....

BlueBisonRock
08-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Oh....saw Roehl at Chubs late. He said something about "that p*ssy lakesbison who has to leave at halftime"....

Nomination for POST of THE GAME!

MAKBison
08-29-2008, 08:53 AM
So, congratz to Nick

The good....I counted 9 in the box and with the other 2 cheating in. I consistently seen the line of scrimmage move 2, 3 yards forward. When AP started to play honest D…we got big chunks.

The Bad....I seen RB who were running sideways and not hitting holes. I seen a QB not getting the Ball into the RB clean and or fast enough. I seen happy feet cuing the whole freaking world as to what was coming.

All in all good first game, the QB showed that if you commit to stop the run…..He can pass the ball. QUESTIONS…..obviously our wide outs were no matchup for AP, especially one on one; however, are there teams out there that can man up on our wide outs and shut them down……I do not know!

Jdubs21
08-29-2008, 11:44 AM
yea rushing wasnt amazing but all that matters is we won the game...and how bout that bison defense!!!!!

runtheoption
08-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Glanced at Bohl a couple times during and after our horrendous kick-off coverage. He was about as upset as I've ever seen him. I do believe the next practice may have "special teams priority." If we have the same kind of coverage against a team with a better offense, they'll be able to put more than 6 on the board.

But no worries yet...like I always hear the broadcasters say, teams make the most improvement between the 1st and 2nd games of the year.

WYOBISONMAN
08-29-2008, 01:16 PM
I could not be happier with the first outing for Mertens. The kd has poise, a good head and a great arm. We are heading in the right direction with him.

Our running game was less than stellar, but AP was keying on the run very heavily...probably wecould have passed more.....but did not need to do it.

Our kickof coverage down right stunk. That kind of coverage will loose games. We can't afford that kind of coverage when NDSU travels to Laramie. I hope we look better next week.

bisonmike2
08-29-2008, 01:18 PM
I could not be happier with the first outing for Mertens. The kd has poise, a good head and a great arm. We are heading in the right direction with him.

Our running game was less than stellar, but AP was keying on the run very heavily...probably wecould have passed more.....but did not need to do it.

Our kickof coverage down right stunk. That kind of coverage will loose games. We can't afford that kind of coverage when NDSU travels to Laramie. I hope we look better next week.

couldn't agree with you more. I suspect you guys who drive past the practice fields will be seeing a whole lot of kick return coverage going on this next week.

OldBison
08-29-2008, 01:26 PM
alright there's been a lot said about the running, well their game plan wasn't to run the ball a bunch, they don't have all their running game ready and they're waiting for Wyoming game.....so i'm not worried bout the running game in the future

They don't have all their running game ready? That's a load of crap.

AP stunted all night. I sit on the Bison offense side on the 40 yd line. I could see Perles reaming his OL for their lack of recognition. He was ready to sell his sole for a RG and a RT. He was on Buckman/Foster/Richard's ass all night. They just didn't get it done.

For all of you naive football fans who have been boviating that the Bison don't need to pass, and that we don't need Merten's to be that good, that they can simply line up and shove it down any team's throat, guess again. The offensive package needs to be balanced, end of story.

But to say that the Bison didn't have "all their running game ready" is beyond naive, way beyond.

WYOBISONMAN
08-29-2008, 01:40 PM
For all of you naive football fans who have been boviating that the Bison don't need to pass, and that we don't need Merten's to be that good, that they can simply line up and shove it down any team's throat, guess again. The offensive package needs to be balanced, end of story.

I agree completely......it has got to be a balanced attack!

NDFAN2
08-29-2008, 01:42 PM
One thing is for certian, our place kicker can tackle!

westnodak93bison
08-29-2008, 01:45 PM
I didnt have time to read any of the above posts--
imho, we absolutely toyed with ap-- could have shut them out and scored 60+ if we wanted to--- I think we ran like 3-4 running plays all night and they stacked the line. Nick got hit hard a couple times and I dont like to see that. Troy is a BIG QB. Holy cow, he is big.

WYOBISONMAN
08-29-2008, 01:49 PM
One thing is for certian, our place kicker can tackle!

No kidding......he is scrappy as hell!

Bison"FANatic"
08-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Here is my take and it is a little different than a few of the other posts.

Mertens was good but not real crisp at times, his receivers bailed him out a few times. He just seemed to me to be a little behind on the receivers and they had to slow up to catch a few of the balls. Overall it was great numbers and the chemistry will come and he will be hitting the receivers in stride on the longer passes. Well played first game.

Defense was outstanding it was not even a matchup on the field

Offensive line concerned me. I guess when I was watching I didn't see them playing 2-3 yards forward. I saw quite a bit of them getting pushed backwards. That was one of the items I keyed on and I don't think they looked crisp. It will come around but there were not holes for our RB's even against a stacked box. Our RB's took a lot of first contact behind the line of scrimmage and made the most of it.

Their returner was a stud. He is dang quick and had a great side step and was able to keep his speed up and turn on the jets in a hurry. It will only be good for our special teams to not get complacent and think they are doing fine. I don't know what we will run into in the future but I think he may be one of the most electric return men we face all year.

Overall a good looking team and a typical first game.

bisonmomof3
08-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Had to laugh...before AP scored the TD someone behind us said that our defense needs alot of work...quarter 3...given up 65 total yards...good one...e1 around had a good laugh

heckler
08-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Bibeau had 3 solo tackles and saved a touchdown so at least our kicker can tackle on special teams.

GOB1SON
08-29-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm with OldBison. I thought that AP got way too much penetration into the backfield last night.

The O-Line really worries me. They CANNOT play like that at Wyoming or we will be in trouble. They did a good job of pass protect, but their zone run schemes were terrible. A couple of Pat's runs, he just didn't have any lanes to turn up into and that is his game. However the good series in the third was better, so maybe the ass chewing at half-time helped.

Mertens was all right, but big numbers sometimes hide small truths. How many passes were where they needed to be? 25%? How many times were the throws behind the reciever or into the ground and the player went and got it. He has a big arm for sure and I thought he kept his composure beautifully, but he has to be a touch more accurate. I didn't mind the interception, because sometimes you just have to fire it in there and if he hits it, it is a big play. Risk reward.

Kick coverage, holy crap. One big return, all right, we need to work on that, FOUR FRIGGIN RETURNS, we need to learn how to fill lanes and tackle. Every time that kid brought a big one back, somebody had a chance to bring him down. Can you say tackling drills this week? Even on defense, where I saw way to many arm tackles and defensive backs just dropping their heads, closing their eyes, and hoping.

Defensive scheme and talent is exceptional. Fastest defense we have ever had even with Mike out. I thought Kittleson played very well in his place, but he missed the tackle on fourth down that eventually turned into the touchdown. And the defensive backfield is so much better than last year, but the pass rush needs to get some credit there. They will be one of the top 2 or 3 defenses in the country and will keep us in every single game.

HooliganBison
08-29-2008, 02:41 PM
I had to laugh when Bibeau pushed the kid's helmet to the ground when he was getting up after his last tackle. You just have a love a kicker with an attitude.

NDFAN2
08-29-2008, 02:43 PM
I had to laugh when Bibeau pushed the kid's helmet to the ground when he was getting up after his last tackle. You just have a love a kicker with an attitude.

Yea, but that was the 15 year penalty too, and that's not right.

HooliganBison
08-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Yea, but that was the 15 year penalty too, and that's not right.

I know it was a stupid penalty, anyone else remember last years opener. I think we had about 4 or 5 peronal foul penalties. This year I believe just 2 and the one on Wurz was BS. He shoved the kid right as the ref was blowing his whistle.
On another note, was it just me or did the refs not blow their whistles on very many plays? Of course I could just be going deaf.

*Bisonrube
08-29-2008, 02:53 PM
First off...It was a good performance by Mertens. I was not too impressed with the way he locked on to a reciever (for 5 seconds) and waited for him to get open...and that on the interception he seemed not to recognize that AP dropped a safety. I believe Bohl addressed these in post-game comments. But!! Nice 1st game. It may be too hard to impress me after being spoiled with great years with Walker.

Special teams! Yikes! Short kickoffs, not staying in their lanes on coverage.

A good solid win to build on. Go Bison

met1990
08-29-2008, 02:56 PM
I know it was a stupid penalty, anyone else remember last years opener. I think we had about 4 or 5 peronal foul penalties. This year I believe just 2 and the one on Wurz was BS. He shoved the kid right as the ref was blowing his whistle.

The refs blew the whistle about two seconds after Wurzbacher pushed the guy down. I remember seeing the flag go down and thinking "you've got to be kidding me."

NDFAN2
08-29-2008, 03:02 PM
On another note, was it just me or did the refs not blow their whistles on very many plays? Of course I could just be going deaf.

I agree - it seemed like guys would be down on the play and I started thinking - where's the whistle, and then hear it a second or two later.

heckler
08-29-2008, 03:17 PM

Yes it was a stupid penalty but I was laughing too. I was watching the replay on the big screen and the kick returner grabbed Bibeau's facemask and twisted his head around and that is why Bibeau pushed his helmet in the ground.

NDFAN2
08-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Yes it was a stupid penalty but I was laughing too. I was watching the replay on the big screen and the kick returner grabbed Bibeau's facemask and twisted his head around and that is why Bibeau pushed his helmet in the ground.

They always flag the 2nd guy. What else is new.

IBleedYellow
08-29-2008, 03:28 PM

I was waiting for the students traditional cheer for bad calls. Sadly I don't think I heard it.

BisonCountry
08-29-2008, 03:29 PM
First off...It was a good performance by Mertens. I was not too impressed with the way he locked on to a reciever (for 5 seconds) and waited for him to get open...and that on the interception he seemed not to recognize that AP dropped a safety. I believe Bohl addressed these in post-game comments. But!! Nice 1st game. It may be too hard to impress me after being spoiled with great years with Walker.

16-18 304 Yards 3 TDs 1 Int

Hard for me to be critical of anything when it was the first start of his career and season. I believe Walker threw 5 picks in last years opener and he seemed to do ok.

99Bison
08-29-2008, 03:40 PM
I was waiting for the students traditional cheer for bad calls. Sadly I don't think I heard it.

um, it was there...

IBleedYellow
08-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Well I must have been yelling too loud myself to hear it then. Hah.

missingnumber7
08-30-2008, 03:40 PM

Those have been gone for a few years...I miss the BS and Cheater chants.

imabison
08-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Those have been gone for a few years...I miss the BS and Cheater chants.
What game were you at?

BS BS Cheater were very prominently heard more than once during the game.

We sit very near the students.

rutlandbison
08-30-2008, 04:18 PM
What game were you at?

BS BS Cheater were very prominently heard more than once during the game.

We sit very near the students.

O yes i am and student and jumped all over the chance to start chanting, also before the game the traditional chant for whoever is wearing #2

Go_Herd
08-30-2008, 04:26 PM
also before the game the traditional chant for whoever is wearing #2

I'm sorry your one of those people that does the chant for #2. I'm a student and I have to say that is one of the stupidest, most juvenile things that I have seen at NDSU. A 'traditional chant'--please

EmeraldCityBison
08-30-2008, 04:53 PM
O yes i am and student and jumped all over the chance to start chanting, also before the game the traditional chant for whoever is wearing #2

Yeah, that chant has got to go. Traditionally stupid for sure!

TransAmBison
08-30-2008, 06:52 PM
The #2 chant is great! Just make sure to follow it with the #1 chant!!

Bisonguy
08-30-2008, 07:22 PM

That's exactly where that chant belongs. In the toilet.

TransAmBison
08-30-2008, 07:35 PM
That's exactly where that chant belongs. In the toilet.
Well, nobody will ever accuse me of being too PC!! :D I think the students should chant it. If it spread to the whole dome, well, that could be in bad taste. I'd be chanting it :hide: , but it would be in bad taste.

THEsocalledfan
08-31-2008, 12:23 AM

Remember when I talked to #1 from Morningside? Is that what you are talking about? It was one of my finest moments. (Pretty sad, but must be honest.)

TransAmBison
08-31-2008, 02:11 AM
Remember when I talked to #1 from Morningside? Is that what you are talking about? It was one of my finest moments. (Pretty sad, but must be honest.)
Tell the story...leave nothing out.

THEsocalledfan
08-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Tell the story...leave nothing out.

I am pretty sure I already did in the college memories thread last year.