PDA

View Full Version : UND enrollment UP!!!!

Bison bison
08-27-2008, 06:25 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=212855&section=news

err, this should really be in news about other schools, sorry.....

bisonmike2
08-27-2008, 06:27 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=212855&section=news

We have them buy 595. Anyone remember how much their number increase 4 weeks into the year last year?

Hammersmith
08-28-2008, 05:14 AM
We have them buy 595. Anyone remember how much their number increase 4 weeks into the year last year?

548. We had an increase of 240.

tony
08-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Hehe, I will miss this drama when it's over. Last year was a classic... there were at least three pieces from the Herald saying that enrollment size didn't matter, followed immediately by a clarion call for the new UND president to make increasing enrollment his or her #1 priority.

NDSU was the largest university in the Dakotas last year, it'll be the largest this year, and it'll be the largest next year. Yes, UND could manage to eke out another enrollment "win" on paper but that's only a public relations thing (one that is obviously desperately important to them). For example, doing my usual "North Dakota State" google news search I found this quote from the Grand Forks Herald:

UND has changed one aspect of counting students, too. “We count correspondence students now,” Johnson said. “We didn’t in the past. But now they are on a semester basis.” He wasn’t certain Wednesday exactly how many students that would include. UND’s continuing education department says 2,500 students take classes by either correspondence or online, but only a fraction of those would be counted in the new method.

Hehe, of course Johnson doesn't know how many correspondent students they'' count because NDSU hasn't announced their final enrollment figures yet. Still, no matter what, NDSU is bigger. Heck, the freshman class is over 35% larger than UND's this year and it was over 16% larger than UND's last year. The real question is at what point will UND have more off-campus students than on-campus students. I figure that will take about two more years if NDSU keeps growing. After that, the next thing to watch out for is the point at which UND-Fargo becomes larger than UND-Grand Forks.

For NDSU's stakeholders, our focus should be on the Better for the students not Bigger for our pride. For that, we sure don't want to use UND as a benchmark (or, UND, NDSU).

mebisonII
08-28-2008, 12:57 PM
For NDSU's stakeholders, our focus should be on the Better for the students not Bigger for our pride. For that, we sure don't want to use UND as a benchmark (or, UND, NDSU).

Good point, well said. :nod:

cbline
08-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Like the Gold Star Marching Band plays at every game, "We are the pride of North Dakota"!