PDA

View Full Version : From Iraq:

mebisonII
08-25-2008, 08:34 PM
I've been hemming and hawing over posting this all day, but I guess I will. My cousin is due to come home from a year in Iraq pretty soon. He's been sending weekly updates to family and friend the entire time and the last few weeks he's been reflecting on what he'll miss and won't miss. Today's topic was things he's looking forward to at home. I was so struck by it that I thought I'd share it. Makes you stop, think, and appreciate what you have.

Remember, no politics on the board! ;)

Things I'm looking forward to about coming home:
1) Grass and the color green - after spending a year in sand and nothing but tan, I am anxious to be able to walk around barefoot in grass and smell a fresh cut lawn
2) Being with my kids - need I say more
3) Being able to touch my wife rather than just talk to her; that and the fact that I will get to see her since virtually every picture I have, she is behind the camera
4) My wife's cooking - while they do have some favor in the food here, it still is nothing like the savory foods she cooks
5) More wardrobe selections - I'm not talking like girl extremes but just being able to ask myself the "what do I want to wear today?" For the past year, it has been desert uniform or PTs.
6) a 5 day work week - I will now appreciate my Saturdays so much more
7) 4 seasons
8) riding my Harley
9) not having to strap on a holster everytime I go outside
10) being able to stay inside to go from my bed to the bathroom
11) sleeping in my queen size bed - provided my son lets me, he thinks I'm going to sleep in his bed and he will continue to sleep with mommy

bisonmike2
08-25-2008, 08:55 PM
I've been hemming and hawing over posting this all day, but I guess I will. My cousin is due to come home from a year in Iraq pretty soon. He's been sending weekly updates to family and friend the entire time and the last few weeks he's been reflecting on what he'll miss and won't miss. Today's topic was things he's looking forward to at home. I was so struck by it that I thought I'd share it. Makes you stop, think, and appreciate what you have.

1) Grass and the color green - after spending a year in sand and nothing but tan, I am anxious to be able to walk around barefoot in grass and smell a fresh cut lawn
3) Being able to touch my wife rather than just talk to her; that and the fact that I will get to see her since virtually every picture I have, she is behind the camera
4) My wife's cooking - while they do have some favor in the food here, it still is nothing like the savory foods she cooks
5) More wardrobe selections - I'm not talking like girl extremes but just being able to ask myself the "what do I want to wear today?" For the past year, it has been desert uniform or PTs.
7) 4 seasons
8) riding my Harley
11) sleeping in my queen size bed - provided my son lets me, he thinks I'm going to sleep in his bed and he will continue to sleep with mommy

That's a pretty cool list. I'm glad you posted it. Makes the lazy s.o.b's such as myself appreciate just what we got going over here. I can't imagine making the sacrafices that these guys make.

Bison bison
08-25-2008, 09:38 PM

7) 4 seasons
8) riding my Harley

where the f$@k is bison football on that list!?!

you need to get him to the game so during his next deployment he'll know what he's missing.

:)

mebisonII
08-25-2008, 09:53 PM
where the f$@k is bison football on that list!?!

you need to get him to the game so during his next deployment he'll know what he's missing.

:)

You know, I'm not actually sure where he finished his degree. No where around here. I haven't actually seen him in years.

Bison bison
08-25-2008, 09:54 PM
well, if he's ever town on a saturday you must take him to a game - it's a moral imperative.

my brother will be going to his first game in two years, also spent last fall in the desert, i think he still remembers how to drink and cheer.....

mebisonII
08-25-2008, 09:56 PM
well, if he's ever town on a saturday you must take him to a game - it's a moral imperative.

my brother will be going to his first game in two years, also spent last fall in the desert, i think he still remembers how to drink and cheer.....

A belated welcome home to him too! Buy him a beer for me :nod:

tjbison
08-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Great Post! Thanks!

just think there are still A-holes that protest these guys when they get home:banghead:

Tell Him thank you!!! and buy him 2 beers from me:nod:

BisoninNWMN
08-25-2008, 11:22 PM
God Bless your cousin:)

Great post!