PDA

View Full Version : Fargo Forum

bisonhusker
08-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Ok, for the 2nd day in a row the Fargo Forum has a human interest story about UND. Yesterday on a converted RB to LB and now a kid on the offensive line. Both written by the UND homer Wayno.

Do we not have any good stories?

Does the GF Herald put NDSU football on their front page and NOTHING about UND in the same paper?

Seriously, I get tired of Bismarck and GF being total homer fishwraps, and the Fargo Forum being totally equal....if not MORE than fair. Face it, NDSU runs the town, and they need to start to realize it.

IT IS GAME WEEK people. I want stories. Give me a DJ McNortan story. ANYTHING. Just stop getting the free stories from GF and write one yourself.

I KNOW YOU READ THIS.....so please know that we are interested.

Any other feedback????? Or do we love how Mussman is "taking this serious."

bisonmike2
08-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Ok, for the 2nd day in a row the Fargo Forum has a human interest story about UND. Yesterday on a converted RB to LB and now a kid on the offensive line. Both written by the UND homer Wayno.

Does the GF Herald put NDSU football on their front page and NOTHING about UND in the same paper?

Seriously, I get tired of Bismarck and GF being total homer fishwraps, and the Fargo Forum being totally equal....if not MORE than fair. Face it, NDSU runs the town, and they need to start to realize it.

IT IS GAME WEEK people. I want stories. Give me a DJ McNortan story. ANYTHING. Just stop getting the free stories from GF and write one yourself.

Great minds think alike. I just mentioned this over on Lakes no bison in the forum thread.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=202084#post202084

bisonmike2
08-20-2008, 01:42 PM
seriously if you want coverage on the upcoming game visit http://www.theleafchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

It's the local paper that covers Austin Peay and they have multiple stories running on their team and the upcoming game every day. NDSU gets more mention there than in the Forum.

No_Skill
08-20-2008, 02:39 PM
I've been beating this dead horse for years. :banghead:

bisonmike2
08-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I've been beating this dead horse for years. :banghead:

Well maybe we should give them a break. I mean c'mon, we're only ranked as high as #2 in some polls. Plus it's our first year of being playoff eligible. We're coming off back to back 10-1 seasons. Season ticket sales are at an all time high. We are new members in arguably the premier football conferance in FCS. We have the toughest overall schedule in years combined with the most attractive and compelling home schedule in over 5 years. Wait...what. Seriously what the hell are they doing at the Forum!

SDbison
08-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Forum coverage for NDSU still sucks (especially for the popular and big money maker NDSU football). DO YOU GET IT YET FARGO FORUM!
Sure they added an article or two each month and there are occasional random thoughts in the blogs. Can't forget the gameday insert and the 2 page post game summary with the stupid football rating scale. 50% of Bisonville, if they had the job to cover sports, could do a better job. You would think writing a short article is like writing a book. Crap, these guys are doing it for a living.

tcbison
08-20-2008, 03:00 PM

It is sad that there are not more NDSU stories, but to have to read about UND is a slap in the face. The thing I don't understand is UND is full of homers in their media and on the radio, but NDSU doesn't have that at all. Not sure how they could change it. I think it would be great for Phil Hansen to have his own radio show.

bisonhusker
08-20-2008, 03:24 PM
I brought up this thread, because the writers read this ALL THE TIME!!! They need to know how poor they are doing. Hire a 22 year old recent grad to follow the team EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!!! The older guys are content writing once a week about something. McFeeley just biatches about everything. No substance to anything he writes.

Then....we have front page stuff on UND?
Would the GF Herald EVER do that??? NO WAY!!!!!

I love the gameday coverage, but we are a week away from the most highly anticipated year in recent memory.

bisonmike2
08-20-2008, 03:31 PM
It is sad that there are not more NDSU stories, but to have to read about UND is a slap in the face. The thing I don't understand is UND is full of homers in their media and on the radio, but NDSU doesn't have that at all. Not sure how they could change it. I think it would be great for Phil Hansen to have his own radio show.

This. I look at the forum everday. First thing I expect to see in the sports is a NDSU article. Often I'm dissapointed. But I"m pissed when I see no NDSU articles and 1 or even 2 stories on UND. I get it, UND alumni live in Fargo and they want to see stories on their team. But UND is in another city and it has it's own newspaper that can cover them. If your going to throw a UND article in there, you better run one on NDSU. I live in the cities and I don't expect the Strib to cover NDSU. Or what if I were a Wisconsin alumnus? Imagine if the Strib had 0 articles on Minnesota football and 2 on Wisconsin in conscecutive days. You think there'd be some pissed of Strib readers? You bet your ass there would.

lakesbison
08-20-2008, 03:43 PM
MERGE THIS WITH MY THREAD!!

NDSU better start getting on the startribune.com stories more too!!

jshelman@startribune.com <<< it helps

shartman@startribune.com << yes sid reads them, they print them out for him to take home to golden valley.

roadwarrior
08-20-2008, 04:00 PM
The Forum is one thing, expecting the Tribune to run stories on the Bison is a little far fetched.

lakesbison
08-20-2008, 04:06 PM
why? they run stories on st johns from time to time, hell... maybe not stories.. how bout a FREAKIN SCORE?

BisonAccountant44
08-20-2008, 04:29 PM
I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet, but we got a little love from Sid this week well a mention at least (last couple lines of column). Looks like Bison fans in the cities will at least be able to pickup the games on the radio, if they can't watch them online or on TV.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/27077814.html?page=3&c=y

lakesbison
08-20-2008, 04:35 PM
just what we need NDSU football on the radio here

how silly, broadcast those games to the potato and beat farmers up north, localy we don't care. Just like we don't care about the green bushers no matter how many live in our great state.

posted by burnsy15 on Aug 18, 08 at 4:48 pm |
3 of 9 people liked this comment.

I love eating "BEATS" ... what a freakin moron!! They all still mad at NDSU for piss pounding them last year!!

HerdBot
08-20-2008, 04:57 PM

I think they are getting better but could still see some improvement. The game day section is great. The sunday paper is great. The weekly writeups could be more frequent. I think Kolpack does a phenomenal job on the blog and has done a good job with training camp overall.

Here's my issue. NDSU gets good coverage. Definitely front page.The Sioux should get 2nd or 3rd page coverage in Fargo and they usually do. The problem I have is the Herald doesn't give NDSU even 2nd or 3rd page coverage but the Forum gives Poo Hockey front page coverage. NDSU Football is arguably the biggest act in the state.

Bismarck also needs more coverage.

PS: Why are we not reading about the Gateway or MVC teams? It's a phenomenal conference.

mn_bison_
08-20-2008, 05:12 PM
yes sid reads them, they print them out for him to take home to golden valley.

C'mon Lakes, don't tease us common folks. You know he only reads the emails from celebrities like you.

bisonhusker
08-20-2008, 06:04 PM
....and he doesn't live in Golden Valley.

lakesbison
08-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Really husker? how did I meet him with my bro in Bylerly's in Golden Valley over the spring and we talked about the NDSU-Gopher beatdown and my bro and him talked about golden valley and living there.. I always thought sid was from white bear lake myself. oh well....

you thinkin about Chad Hartman who lives in minnetonka maybe?

bisonmike2
08-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Really husker? how did I meet him with my bro in Bylerly's in Golden Valley over the spring and we talked about the NDSU-Gopher beatdown and my bro and him talked about golden valley and living there.. I always thought sid was from white bear lake myself. oh well....

you thinkin about Chad Hartman who lives in minnetonka maybe?

Hey I work by that Bylerly's in GV. There's a very nice assisted living home pretty close by. Maybe that's were Sid lives? :)

bisonhusker
08-20-2008, 06:50 PM
He lives in a big one on the river.

bisonmike2
08-20-2008, 06:55 PM
He lives in a big one on the river.

One what? Van?

http://home.mchsi.com/~beyondbelief/farley.jpg

WestDakotaBison
08-20-2008, 08:07 PM
The Forum sure is quick to point out injuries/problems. 95% of bison coverage is about injuries.

Bison"FANatic"
08-20-2008, 08:19 PM
The Forum sure is quick to point out injuries/problems. 95% of bison coverage is about injuries.

They take very little research and are more reports than a well thought out indepth article. It is very sad.

bisonmike2
08-20-2008, 08:26 PM

easy story, no work involved. I guarantee the have a template already made up for this

________ from ______ MN/ND/SD/MICH/WI was injured during practice today. ______ is expected to miss <insert amount of time> He had <insert last years stats> last year and was expected to contribute as a starter and on special teams. <insert Bohl quote>. _______ is expected to be his replacement. For more see tommorow's Forum.

WestDakotaBison
08-20-2008, 08:29 PM
easy story, no work involved. I guarantee the have a template already made up for this

________ from ______ MN/ND/SD/MICH/WI was injured during practice today. ______ is expected to miss <insert amount of time> He had <insert last years stats> last year and was expected to contribute as a starter and on special teams. <insert Bohl quote>. _______ is expected to be his replacement. For more see tommorow's Forum.

How sad is that? You or I could do a better job in our sleep.

bisonhusker
08-20-2008, 08:44 PM
why is it that alot of papers have a "Homer" writer. Terry down in Brookings, Sid (and PA on the radio) in Minneapolis, Wayno in GF.....and we have negative stuff.

WestDakotaBison
08-20-2008, 08:46 PM
why is it that alot of papers have a "Homer" writer. Terry down in Brookings, Sid (and PA on the radio) in Minneapolis, Wayno in GF.....and we have negative stuff.

In my honest opinion I just think the guys around here really suck at what they do.

SirHinn
08-20-2008, 08:56 PM

You also forgot to mention the UND play by play man who's on the radio here in Fargo. Is it possible that the writers like McFeely will continue to do what they do because people like you guys are going to find something to criticize them about. Whether people like it or not, as long as people continue to buy or read the articles things won't change.

lakesbison
08-20-2008, 08:57 PM
thats the hilarious thing!! I don't know ANYONE with a forum subscription... Their circulation is way down, their sales are down.... MAYBE IF YOU HAD NEW WRITERS!!>.. HELLO MERCIL's!!!!

SlickVic
08-20-2008, 09:05 PM
In my honest opinion I just think the guys around here really suck at what they do.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

met1990
08-20-2008, 09:06 PM
I canceled my Forum subscription after realizing I can get all my Bison sports information by reading Lakes' posts.

Bison"FANatic"
08-20-2008, 10:00 PM
The thing that irks me is it takes a injury for a Belmont or other player to get written up in the Forum. Or it takes them leaving the program or having clearing house injuries. The players who are bringing their lunch pales everyday and getting the job done deserve and should be getting some press for it. Most fans do care about the players that are on the team and not just the ones who are not going to be playing. The story that was done on off season work outs and the schedules and commitment that it takes to be a football player was a great story. We need more stories like that.

lakesbison
08-20-2008, 10:03 PM
MET... $19.95 a month.. plus ill give you 1 saturday pass to my pontoon.

ndsubison1
08-20-2008, 10:05 PM
We should start sending letters to the editor and the sports staff and start making it a big deal so they can possibly do something about it. We need to do something

UTH
08-20-2008, 10:13 PM
MET... $19.95 a month.. plus ill give you 1 saturday pass to my pontoon.

Just keep telling people you're from Alabama and it'll all be OK.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Alabamaredneckfishingboatbrookings.jpg

*sorry - i admit it's getting gratuitous

Bisonguy
08-21-2008, 02:32 AM
Is FOX sports copying The Forum? :confused:

Two features on UND, none on NDSU tonight. :smh:

Mr. Burgundy
08-21-2008, 02:37 AM
Lakes is going to go nuts. He always talks about how Fox is pro Bison.

NDSU1980
08-21-2008, 02:52 AM
We should start sending letters to the editor and the sports staff and start making it a big deal so they can possibly do something about it. We need to do something

I e mailed them this evening and said I was ready to drop my subscription if they didn't start balancing out the negative stuff with some upbeat Bison stories, and to knock off the und junk. We'll see if I get a reply.

4mcruenomore
08-21-2008, 03:00 AM
You guys have no idea, try living in Bismarck (und land), and having Bill Halter give the news, wow.

ndsubison1
08-21-2008, 06:58 AM
You guys have no idea, try living in Bismarck (und land), and having Bill Halter give the news, wow.

I live there in the summer, Bismarck is full of UND homers and the Trib absolutely loves them, esp. since Dressler was a star there the past few seasons

CaBisonFan
08-21-2008, 07:12 AM
Just spent nearly two weeks in the Mayville area and read the Forum every day. I also saw the Herald most of those days.

Not one Bison story in the Herald that I saw. I might have missed one.

Several small to medium Sioux stories in the Forum. A couple of smaller front-pagers.

The old argument is that UND people live in Fargo.

News flash: NDSU people live in GF.

The coverage of the Bison in the Forum is pathetic. The Herald doesn't bother.

I'd like to see McFeely transfered to the Herald. Trade McFeely to the Herald for a writer to be named. I've heard that the Herald would consider giving up Donald Duck. I say make the trade.

BisoninNWMN
08-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Just spent nearly two weeks in the Mayville area and read the Forum every day. I also saw the Herald most of those days.

Not one Bison story in the Herald that I saw. I might have missed one.

Several small to medium Sioux stories in the Forum. A couple of smaller front-pagers.

The old argument is that UND people live in Fargo.

News flash: NDSU people live in GF.

The coverage of the Bison in the Forum is pathetic. The Herald doesn't bother.

I'd like to see McFeely transfered to the Herald. Trade McFeely to the Herald for a writer to be named. I've heard that the Herald would consider giving up Donald Duck. I say make the trade.

Bison coverage ( excluding game-day) is poor at best. CA is right Herald coverage of the Bison is minimal. Come on...McFooly is a legend in his own mind!!!

Listen to WDAY on sat morning (970) Titan sports show with John Tommervick....good show

Let's see how the coverage is next week. But for a national FCS power in fb...the local paper coverage is a joke. I've seen just about as many Sue hockey articles:banghead: :banghead:

bisonmike2
08-21-2008, 03:42 PM
I really can't say enough good things about the coverage that Austin Peay has been getting on their local paper. That had another story about their football team breaking camp and starting to focus on the mental aspect of the season opener. If you took the sports sections for the Forum and the Leaf Chronicle for the past month and counted the number of articles for each team it would be 7-1 blowout in favor of Austin Peay. A neutral party might conclude that they are the team that's expected to battle for conference and national titles.

SDbison
08-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Where are some good articles about Bison football Fargo Forum?
How about some in depth analysis and discussion of players, positions, teams in the conference, etc. Just reporting injured players, those with clearinghouse problems and those that left is basic crap.
Drop the UND garbage and get to work on daily articles about THE HOME team!

MHDBisonfan
08-21-2008, 05:53 PM

Wow, how sad is this -the article in today's paper was almost exactly like what Bisonmike said it would be like

Belmont was doing a noncontact drill during practice when his foot got caught in the ground and twisted. The exact nature won’t be known until further examination, but head coach Craig Bohl said it looks doubtful Belmont will return in time for the season opener against Austin Peay State University (Tenn.) next Thursday.

“There’s some damage in his knee,” Bohl said.

Belmont was the team’s fifth-leading tackler last year with 61 stops. He intercepted two passes and broke up five more.

His absence means sophomore Cyrus Lemon is in line for his first career start.

Bisonmike --- subcontracted by the FF. And Saturday's lottery numbers are...????

bisonmike2
08-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Wow, how sad is this -the article in today's paper was almost exactly like what Bisonmike said it would be like

Belmont was doing a noncontact drill during practice when his foot got caught in the ground and twisted. The exact nature won’t be known until further examination, but head coach Craig Bohl said it looks doubtful Belmont will return in time for the season opener against Austin Peay State University (Tenn.) next Thursday.

“There’s some damage in his knee,” Bohl said.

Belmont was the team’s fifth-leading tackler last year with 61 stops. He intercepted two passes and broke up five more.

His absence means sophomore Cyrus Lemon is in line for his first career start.

Bisonmike --- subcontracted by the FF. And Saturday's lottery numbers are...????

I'm really Kolpack. I just post rips about the Forum to hide my identity.

roadwarrior
08-21-2008, 05:58 PM

That's because he cheated just a little by reading the article posted on their website yesterday afternoon.

bisonmike2
08-21-2008, 06:02 PM
That's because he cheated just a little by reading the article posted on their website yesterday afternoon.

Or any of the other injury articles written in the last 5 years. They're all the same. They basically did a cut a paste of their yesterday's news flash and popped it into their print edition.

met1990
08-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Or any of the other injury articles written in the last 5 years. They're all the same. They basically did a cut a paste of their yesterday's news flash and popped it into their print edition.

Actually, I think it's the other way around.

MAKBison
08-21-2008, 06:30 PM
I canceled my Forum subscription after realizing I can get all my Bison sports information by reading Lakes' posts.

You jest but WE DID cancele the rag due to the lack of NDSU support and the overall reporting being low quality.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

skolbrother
08-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Newspapers are dying and if they do not heed the advice of exactly what this thread is saying, which is do some reporting NOT blogging they will be a dinosaur.
Every trend is showing they need to become more like magazines than like the web. Almost everyone is technologically adept enough to go on-line and get a score. However to do some insightful reporting is why people will keep their subscription. I am flirting with going just to Sunday (Bison coverage and Viking preview)

Mr. Burgundy
08-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Can we have Terry Vandrovec? That guy has an article today on how the Sioux Falls arena is getting ready for the Summit tourney for hoops. Stuff like that is interesting. I am so sick of the negative reporting, the lack of reporting, and allowing UND stuff all over the Fargo Forum.

tjbison
08-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Can we have Terry Vandrovec? That guy has an article today on how the Sioux Falls arena is getting ready for the Summit tourney for hoops. Stuff like that is interesting. I am so sick of the negative reporting, the lack of reporting, and allowing UND stuff all over the Fargo Forum.

He moved down there from Here:banghead:

Mr. Burgundy
08-21-2008, 10:13 PM
I know....I should have said..."Can we have Terry Vandrovec back?"
He is good and writes what people are interested in..

NDSU1980
08-21-2008, 11:52 PM
I E mailed the Forum yesterday to complain about the negative stuff and the fact that they promote und too much. Never even got a reply back. Apparently the sports department doesn't care what it's paying customers think. Too bad. Maybe they will wake up someday when the customers are all gone.

Bison bison
08-22-2008, 01:02 AM
are you a subscriber 80?

MAKBison
08-22-2008, 02:35 AM
I E mailed the Forum yesterday to complain about the negative stuff and the fact that they promote und too much. Never even got a reply back. Apparently the sports department doesn't care what it's paying customers think. Too bad. Maybe they will wake up someday when the customers are all gone.

I did the same and the result was the same...hence no more paper:bow:

NDSU1980
08-22-2008, 04:03 AM
are you a subscriber 80?

I sure am. Six days a week, and I let them know that too.

bisonmike2
08-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Austin Peay gets a nice, but small article on the teams preperation for NDSU in the Leaf Chronicle....we get a paragraph about being highly ranked in the FCS poll probably picked off the AP wire. Fine reportin' there guys. At least I didn't see a Sioux article.

skolbrother
08-22-2008, 02:05 PM
The lack of coverage is now bordering on the absurd.

tcbison
08-22-2008, 03:17 PM
The lack of coverage is now bordering on the absurd.

Today's article on where NDSU is ranked in FCS probably took them a total of 2 minutes.

Scooter1
08-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Well, if the forum doesn't want to do it...I'll do an offense and defense breakdown of AP, complete with player history and post it on the board. The defense is already posted on the AP thread.

Are you reading this, Forum?...If you guys want to cut and paste my work, it will only take about two minutes....Isn't that what the paper tends to spend on NDSU lately?*

*the bison blogs by Kolpack and Co have been good. Thanks Kolpack.

tcbison
08-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Well, if the forum doesn't want to do it...I'll do an offense and defense breakdown of AP, complete with player history and post it on the board. The defense is already posted on the AP thread.

Are you reading this, Forum?...If you guys want to cut and paste my work, it will only take about two minutes....Isn't that what the paper tends to spend on NDSU lately?*

Thanks Scooter1. I think it would be good if they would post the bison blogs in the paper. Anyone know what Kevin Schnepf does? I know he wrote an article on UND trying to get into the Summit a few weeks ago.

Bison Dan
08-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks Scooter1. I think it would be good if they would post the bison blogs in the paper. Anyone know what Kevin Schnepf does? I know he wrote an article on UND trying to get into the Summit a few weeks ago.

Good Question!

imabison
08-22-2008, 05:06 PM

Does any of the lack of coverage have anything to do with NDSU taking its media program in house?

This is just a question, but it could be a reason. Local media fights back!!!!

bisonmike2
08-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Does any of the lack of coverage have anything to do with NDSU taking its media program in house?

That's a good question but they (Forum Communications) would be stupid if they are fighting back like that. The games are still broadcast on WDAY radio, owned by Forum Comm. If anything they'd be trying to advertise the games more with more frequent articles and etc, to increase ratings that would allow them to charge more for that spot of radio time.

lakesbison
08-22-2008, 05:18 PM
I gave NDSU more Publicity at the Minn State Fair last night and today, then the Fargo Forum gives FARGO, on a daily basis.. what a complete and utter joke.

my buddy bartends at ramada.... HONESTLY... there were 2 businessmen from TEXAS.. Dallas.. that said.. "hey... isn't NDSU a powerhouse football program?? why is there only 1 small injury article in the paper, dont they start soon?"

^^^^^^^^ THAT MY FRIENDS IS BULLL>.....S..>.>>H?>>>>m,t,t.

DIGRAPPLER
08-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Front page of sport today - the picture of the Farce mascot was bigger than the article about the number 2 ranked team in the nation. Do I need to say it again THE NUMBER 2 TEAM IN THE N-A-T-I-O-N. Bison Nation should be dang proud of that! Do we have to campaign for this team to get some love!

MAKBison
08-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Front page of sport today - the picture of the Farce mascot was bigger than the article about the number 2 ranked team in the nation. Do I need to say it again THE NUMBER 2 TEAM IN THE N-A-T-I-O-N. Bison Nation should be dang proud of that! Do we have to campaign for this team to get some love!

Obviously emailing them does nothing so I suggest calling them. I suggest saying something on the lines of…. I am a subscriber and I am not happy with the quality or quantity of reporting concerning the Number two ranked football team in the nation. I would like to see a change in this or I will be forced to cancel my subscription, can you please tell me how you plan to address this issue.

After you call, come back and post the persons name and what was said, then the next person calls. I would kick this off, but I simply said to hell with it and canceled my subscription already.

The Forum
101 5th Street North
Fargo, ND 58102-4826
PO Box 2020
Fargo, ND 58107-2020
(701) 235-7311

MAKBison
08-22-2008, 09:05 PM

bisonMike you are a freaking Genius
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Breaking New Frago Forum
FARGO -- North Dakota State’s starting strong safety is most likely done for the season. Junior Kyle Belmont’s knee injury suffered earlier in the week will keep him out for at least several weeks, head coach Craig Bohl said.

Bohl said the exact nature of the injury will not be known until after arthroscopic surgery.

“The best-case scenario would be weeks and more probably looks like he’ll be out for the season,” Bohl said. “The preliminary diagnosis looks very doubtful.”

FARGO -- North Dakota State’s starting strong safety is most likely done for the season. Junior Kyle Belmont’s knee injury suffered earlier in the week will keep him out for at least several weeks, head coach Craig Bohl said.

Bohl said the exact nature of the injury will not be known until after arthroscopic surgery.

“The best-case scenario would be weeks and more probably looks like he’ll be out for the season,” Bohl said. “The preliminary diagnosis looks very doubtful.”

RELATED CONTENT
Jeff Kolpack Archive

Sophomore Cyrus Lemon will start in Belmont’s place in next Thursday’s season opener against Austin Peay (Tenn.). Bohl said there is a battle for the backup spot between sophomore Chris Bigley and freshman Darius Purcell.

Bigley is coming off a knee injury of his own suffered in fall practice last year. Purcell transferred from the University of Illinois this summer.

Belmont is the first significant injury to the Bison this year. He was fifth on the team in tackles last year with 61 and tied for second in interceptions with two.

Bison bison
08-22-2008, 09:09 PM
I sure am. Six days a week, and I let them know that too.

+++

so i am. i'm expecting better coverage or i'll be done at the end of the next cycle.

CarringtonBison
08-22-2008, 09:11 PM
+++

so i am. i'm expecting better coverage or i'll be done at the end of the next cycle.

what does your period have to do with the forum coverage??

NDSUstudent
08-22-2008, 10:53 PM

I don't think so, Hallstrom still covers the Bison heavily and it could be said that taking the media in house has hurt him the most. He lost the chance to do the tv games and also his sideline reporter role. However, he will be hosting Bison React which is a post game fan call in show. So it is good to see NDSU still found something for him to do because in my opinion he does a good job and gives the school some great coverage.

extremerouge
08-23-2008, 03:37 AM
I don't think so, Hallstrom still covers the Bison heavily and it could be said that taking the media in house has hurt him the most. He lost the chance to do the tv games and also his sideline reporter role. However, he will be hosting Bison React which is a post game fan call in show. So it is good to see NDSU still found something for him to do because in my opinion he does a good job and gives the school some great coverage.
and he is a passionate bison fan...

CaBisonFan
08-23-2008, 05:09 AM
Every time I've commented or written about this I've been accused of wanting a 'homer' newspaper or media.

So if they can't cover NDSU well...they might as well write about something that matches their own mediocrity. :cool:

Having close friends living in Lincoln, NE...one thing that I can assure everyone is that the Lincoln paper doesn't write about Omaha football very often. Those people understand which side their bread is buttered on.

That's a fact Jack.

sambini
08-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Every time I've commented or written about this I've been accused of wanting a 'homer' newspaper or media.

So if they can't cover NDSU well...they might as well write about something that matches their own mediocrity. :cool:

Having close friends living in Lincoln, NE...one thing that I can assure everyone is that the Lincoln paper doesn't write about Omaha football very often. Those people understand which side their bread is buttered on.

That's a fact Jack. Very well said CA. Lincoln and Omaha papers have there own sections devoted to Nebraska athletics year round.

SDbison
08-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Another great story today about Bison players, coaches or opponents - NOT!
Thanks Fargo Forum.......I could have sworn it was game week, but since there is no Bison info again I guess the first game must be a week or two away.
BTW, I appreciated the lengthy article about college football rule changes. Totally filled my need to be informed regarding the Bison football team.

Civil06
08-25-2008, 06:29 PM
I appreciated the rule change article - it's good to be an informed fan. I can just see everybody booing when a kick goes out of bounds and they place it on the 40.

NDSUstudent
08-26-2008, 05:55 AM
Two articles today by Kolpack and another by McFeely. I really liked this comment from Kolpack's column that came from APSU's head coach....

“They’re one of the best FCS teams in the country and one of the best mid-major FBS teams,” Christophel said. “I’ve watched them on film. It’s going to be tough.”

I also liked the rule change article, sometimes seeing how coaches will adjust to a rule change is just as interesting as how they will adjust to a certain defense or the loss of a key player.

BisonNeil
08-26-2008, 10:35 AM
You guys just need to get a life.

An article explaining the rule changes is a Bison football article, indirectly, but it is. Some of you could use a little lesson on football.

An article about the opponent we face, is an article covering Bison football. It was a nice spin, two teams, one in transition one coming off it. I came away thinking, wow, 30 guys going to fly for the first time, probably first time out of the south, coming to NDSU to play a game, at our house, in front of 19,000 screaming fans.

I think something on the depth chart after fall practice would be nice, however. Hell, I don't know who the back up OL is, who the back up SS is going to be without Belmont around. There could be a bit more directly on the Bison. But at least there is something that pertains to this thurs game.

Hope I get back from Italy in time :)

tcbison
08-26-2008, 01:13 PM
who the back up SS is going to be without Belmont around.

Cyrus Lemon is now the starter with Darius Prucell backing him up.

bisonmike2
08-26-2008, 02:51 PM
If I'm going to rip them for their lack of coverage, I'll give them props when they get it right. I liked the articles they had today lets see if they can do this on a more consistent basis.

tcbison
08-26-2008, 05:01 PM
This from Terry V's blog...

Beginning Sunday with a 1A piece about the level of fan interest, the Argus Leader will have seven consecutive days of coverage regarding the SDSU at Iowa State football game.

roadwarrior
08-28-2008, 02:19 AM
The editorial from tomorrow's Forum starts as:

It’s game day in Bisonville. Tonight the North Dakota State University Bison football team opens its season against Austin Peay..............Every time the new Bison take to the field, sports history is being made for NDSU and for all of North Dakota. Be there.

Tatanka
08-28-2008, 03:22 AM
Is that the editorial, or a memo circulated to the sports staff to remind them that many thousands of people are going to expect a report on the event, so they had better be there in person as there will be absolutely nobody from teh Herald there to provide the "copy" they usually "paste" into teh sports section.

how's that for a run-on sentence? a few more grammar and spelling errors and I can be a copy editor at teh local fish wrap!

HerdBot
08-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Forum - UND is #2 story
Herald - NDSU is not listed anywhere

The Forum owns both papers. You really believe they are giving NDSU fair coverage? It's complete garbage.

Maybe if we flood the hell out of their inbox with complains we can annoy them into giving the region objective coverage.

EMAIL SPORTS EDITOR kfee@gfherald.com

Grand Forks Herald
A division of Forum Communications Co.
375 2nd Ave. N.
Grand Forks, ND 58206-6008

E-mail: tdutcher@gfherald.com

Here is a web form to contact the sports editor
http://www.grandforksherald.com/contact/index.cfm?page=contactForm&email_id=29

MNLonghorn10
08-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Who cares what Grand Forks thinks.

HerdBot
08-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Who cares what Grand Forks thinks.

Contrary to popular belief, many NDSU alumni actually live there. That is the excuse we hear every time they shove Sioux coverage down our throats.

MNLonghorn10
08-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Can't GF residents subscribe to the forum?

CarringtonBison
08-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Can't GF residents subscribe to the forum?

not when i lived there you could not

imabison
08-29-2008, 06:23 PM
I checked the online papers out for giggles.

The Dickinson Press http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/sports/
Online stores NDSU, UND, and U Mary, Dickinson State plays tonight.

The Bismarck Tribune http://www.bismarcktribune.com/
U Mary, NDSU, and UND. Better article on NDSU than UND.

Jamestown Sun http://www.jamestownsun.com/sports/
NDSU only, stories yesterday on Mertens and Craig Dahl

Minot Daily News http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/category.detail/nav/5016/Local-Sports.html

Only Minot State.

Links provided :)

I would say that the Bison overall got better coverage today.

fargocyclone
08-29-2008, 07:00 PM

I'd hope so! Did UND play yesterday???

imabison
08-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Who is UND?

heckler
08-29-2008, 07:05 PM

oh no he didn't!

fargocyclone
08-29-2008, 07:10 PM
oh no he didn't!

Who is UND?

Okay, I'll correct myself:

Did any other major football team in the state play a game last night that would warrant more coverage than the NDSU game last night?

TransAmBison
08-29-2008, 07:11 PM

Did any other major football team in the state play a game last night that would warrant more coverage than the NDSU game last night?
Other major football team in the state? Would you consider NDSCS major?

heckler
08-29-2008, 07:13 PM
I dont think VCSU had a game.

fargocyclone
08-29-2008, 07:17 PM

Other major football team in the state? Would you consider NDSCS major?

I'll correct myself again:

Did any other college football team in the state play a game last night that would warrant more coverage than the NDSU game last night?

Does anyone have a problem with this one now??

d3boys
08-29-2008, 07:18 PM

yes cy they beat up on texas kingsville
made a big deal of first d1 game
only it was against a d2

there you go from d3

TransAmBison
08-29-2008, 07:19 PM
I'll correct myself again:

Did any other college football team in the state play a game last night that would warrant more coverage than the NDSU game last night?

Does anyone have a problem with this one now??
Are we including intramural teams?

runtheoption
08-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Ridicilous how one of the Forum's print editions lead headlines tries to portray NDSU negatively -- "Lack of tickets keeps students out of opener"

heckler
08-29-2008, 07:29 PM
can't believe someone didn't say build a bigger stadium

BisonNeil
08-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Ridicilous how one of the Forum's print editions lead headlines tries to portray NDSU negatively -- "Lack of tickets keeps students out of opener"

That is Amy Dalrymple for you. Google her, search the Forum, read every article she has ever done on NDSU. Show me one positive article she has ever written about NDSU, on any subject. Go ahead, show me one because I likely missed it. She writes as if she is a UND grad.

Tatanka
08-29-2008, 08:06 PM
anyone want to wager what article gets picked up by the GF Herald (if any?)

HerdBot
08-29-2008, 08:10 PM
I checked the online papers out for giggles.

The Dickinson Press http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/sports/
Online stores NDSU, UND, and U Mary, Dickinson State plays tonight.

The Bismarck Tribune http://www.bismarcktribune.com/
U Mary, NDSU, and UND. Better article on NDSU than UND.

Jamestown Sun http://www.jamestownsun.com/sports/
NDSU only, stories yesterday on Mertens and Craig Dahl

Minot Daily News http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/category.detail/nav/5016/Local-Sports.html

Only Minot State.

Links provided :)

Your proved my point. Every market in the state recognized that NDSU was the bigger story than UND. But Grand Forks didn't even ANYTHING on NDSU.

tjbison
08-29-2008, 08:10 PM
anyone want to wager what article gets picked up by the GF Herald (if any?)

Probably the UND GETS HUGE DI WIN OVER POWERHOUSE TEXAS A&M*

*Kingsville

extremerouge
08-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Your proved my point. Every market in the state recognized that NDSU was the bigger story than UND. But Grand Forks didn't even ANYTHING on NDSU.
that is incorrect. The Herald has an article that is on the front page of the sports page just under the fold that is titled, "Mertens, Bison roll to win in season opener"

rdh701
08-30-2008, 12:03 AM
I would suspect that Mertens at QB will have an impact on Bison coverage in GF.

BisonNeil
08-30-2008, 12:26 AM
What killed me was this byline for UND in the Forum:

"Freund, Trenbeath push UND to victory after sluggish start in D-I."

Who are they trying to kid? Playing an also ran DII school is a start in DI? Since when?

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/213042

imabison
08-30-2008, 12:37 AM
that is incorrect. The Herald has an article that is on the front page of the sports page just under the fold that is titled, "Mertens, Bison roll to win in season opener"
Remember I posted I only looked at online, would hope that some of the papers have more in the actual paper.

I know the Forum has more in the paper than is shown online.

tjbison
09-01-2008, 01:54 AM
NY Times has pretty good coverage of College Football even with attendence!

http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=nytimes&page=cfoot2/scores/final/boxscore.aspx?GAMEID=21626

MAKBison
09-01-2008, 08:07 PM

Joe Mays SURVIVES training camp

KC Bison
09-02-2008, 12:41 AM
I haven't lived in many places but they would be in North Dakota, Minnesota, Virginia, Maryland, Kansas and Missouri. Nowhere have I seen a newspaper that tries to equalize coverage between a home town team and a team 70 miles away.

When this new sports reporter came to Fargo a few months ago (I think), I sent him an email that he worked for the Fargo Forum, not the Grand Forks Forum. Of course, no reply.

NDSUstudent
09-02-2008, 01:08 AM
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else but I gotta commend the Forum for Thursday's coverage. The Gameday insert was pretty cool and had a lot of good coverage.