BlueKeyAlum
08-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Currently we have 5 verbals for next year:

Fr. G Danielle DeGagne
Fr. F Rachelle Eckman
Fr. F Paige Beck
Fr. C Janae Burich
Fr. G Hannah Linz

There will be 9 other players on the team including 6 seniors for 2009-2010 (if Samuelson chooses to play out her eligibility).

Sr. G Nicole VIgil
Sr. G Skye Smith
Sr. G Inger Hodgson
Sr. F Megan Shae
Sr. F Ashley Samuelson
Sr. C Jill Zaruba
Jr. G Whitney Trekker
Jr. G Abby Plucker
So. G Katie Birkel

That's 14. And no players from North Dakota.

Either way, we'll have 7 schollies available for 2010-2011.

d3boys
08-19-2008, 10:29 PM
no north dakota players is a buzzkill

MHDBisonfan
08-20-2008, 01:59 AM
Well, we keep losing our ND kids to the school up north - they have 8 ND players on their roster! And their have been some good players from Mandan who have left the state - most recently the Kielpinski sisters - one in Alaska and one at New Mexico - they should be wearing the green and gold. NDSU needs to start getting all the good ND players again

Greenie
08-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Are there any good DI prospects in ND this year (Seniors or Juniors)?

imabison
08-20-2008, 03:43 PM
no north dakota players is a buzzkill
Question is were these girls that were being considered already prior to Amy deciding to leave?

Not sure that you can look at no ND girls and blame Coach Dehoff.

And agreeing with Greenie, are there any D1 prospects in ND this year?

lakesbison
08-20-2008, 03:53 PM
get used to it.. NDSU is becoming more and more a minnesota school and thats a GOOD THING TOO you KNOW!!

Bison Dan
08-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Question is were these girls that were being considered already prior to Amy deciding to leave?

Not sure that you can look at no ND girls and blame Coach Dehoff.

And agreeing with Greenie, are there any D1 prospects in ND this year?

There are NO DI girls in ND this year - UND has signed some that are DII talent wise.

MHDBisonfan
08-20-2008, 08:41 PM
There are NO DI girls in ND this year - UND has signed some that are DII talent wise.

Ali Collins from Mandan, Sarah Feeney from Bismarck will go D1 somewhere...

nationalchamp00
08-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Ali Collins from Mandan, Sarah Feeney from Bismarck will go D1 somewhere...

Shauna Knife

ndsubison1
08-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Are there any good DI prospects in ND this year (Seniors or Juniors)?

Ali Collins is possibly a D1 prospect, I've been hearing that should will prolly end up at a low tier D1 school, I think she could easily play for NDSU.

Sarah Feeney is not a D1 prospect, she will prolly end up at an Augustana or Northern St. like her sister.

Also, Shaunna Knife could possibly end up at a D1 school, she is a very good talent and I believe she could play for us as well. It will be interesting to see where Collins and Knife end up.

BisBison
08-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Ali Collins is possibly a D1 prospect, I've been hearing that should will prolly end up at a low tier D1 school, I think she could easily play for NDSU.

Sarah Feeney is not a D1 prospect, she will prolly end up at an Augustana or Northern St. like her sister.

Also, Shaunna Knife could possibly end up at a D1 school, she is a very good talent and I believe she could play for us as well. It will be interesting to see where Collins and Knife end up.

If the pattern holds with Mandan girls she'll end up at Mary like the rest of them.:(

BlueKeyAlum
08-21-2008, 01:25 AM
The kids that get the exposure get it through AAU and while there are several AAU teams in North Dakota, they don't travel or get the profile of teams like Minnesota Heat, Minnesota Stars and North Tartan. Those teams go up against the best teams in the country. And I would say that the AAU teams are also where the players get the most guidance in developing their skills. Unless a kid is at a very large high school where they have a coach who can exclusively coach sans any teaching responsiblities, there probably is limited skill development. AAU coaches seem to be able to spend more quality time with the kids to develope the skills needed for the next level.

MHDBisonfan
08-21-2008, 03:48 AM

You could be right about where she ends up, but I still think she's a DI type of player. She is better than her sister. Anytime you have a 6'2 guard who is good, she can play DI.

MHDBisonfan
08-21-2008, 03:57 AM
The kids that get the exposure get it through AAU and while there are several AAU teams in North Dakota, they don't travel or get the profile of teams like Minnesota Heat, Minnesota Stars and North Tartan. Those teams go up against the best teams in the country. And I would say that the AAU teams are also where the players get the most guidance in developing their skills. Unless a kid is at a very large high school where they have a coach who can exclusively coach sans any teaching responsiblities, there probably is limited skill development. AAU coaches seem to be able to spend more quality time with the kids to develope the skills needed for the next level.

I'm hoping you were kidding about the AAU coaches giving better training. Quite a few AAU coaches are just somebody's dad who played basketball in 1985, and is doing it part time because he wants to coach his daughter/son. High School coaches actually went through training on how to coach, and spend a large part of their year working with their players. Off season workouts all summer, open gyms all fall (without coaching at this time though) and EVERY DAY during the season for 3+ months. Not once a week when its convenient for all the players to get together - AAU. Granted, I'm sure there are some good AAU coaches, just as I'm sure there are some high school coaches who are below par, but overall I have to say I disagree with your statement. Just MHO

ndsubison1
08-21-2008, 07:01 AM

The Mandan team travels everywhere in the summer. They go to top tournaments in Hawaii and Vegas, and a few other places as well.

summitfever
08-21-2008, 01:10 PM
BlueKeyAlum....you are right in that AAU is where high school players get a chance at playing against some of the best in the country. But I have to say that in general AAU coaches don't spend as much time with a player as a high school coach does. So, when you say they get most guidance from AAU coaches involving their skills, I have to disagree. I have been around AAU ball in Minnesota for eleven years and know that skill work is not a priority - in general - with the AAU coaches.

ming....Does Mandan play in Hawaii and Vegas during the viewing periods so they can be seen by D1 coaches?

BlueKeyAlum
08-21-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm hoping you were kidding about the AAU coaches giving better training. Quite a few AAU coaches are just somebody's dad who played basketball in 1985, and is doing it part time because he wants to coach his daughter/son. High School coaches actually went through training on how to coach, and spend a large part of their year working with their players. Off season workouts all summer, open gyms all fall (without coaching at this time though) and EVERY DAY during the season for 3+ months. Not once a week when its convenient for all the players to get together - AAU. Granted, I'm sure there are some good AAU coaches, just as I'm sure there are some high school coaches who are below par, but overall I have to say I disagree with your statement. Just MHO

It's probably situational rather than a general rule. Most of the schools I'm familiar with involve a coach who teaches 4-5 classes during the day, coaches basketball during the winter, another sport during the fall and spring...there really isn't time to develop someone's skill level adequately. Now there may be larger school systems where the teaching load is lighter and obligations outside of coaching are spread thin. Contrast, there are AAU programs that start running in the Spring and into the Summer.

summitfever
08-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Yes, most HS coaches teach 4-5 classes a day and then coach. And they get a chance to coach them every day in practice. And AAU coaches are guys or gals with regular jobs during the day and only practice one day a week, sometimes two. You have good and bad coaches in HS and good and bad coaches in AAU. Who has a chance to make a bigger impact on skill level of a player? The one who works with them - the right way - over a longer period of time.

BlueKeyAlum
08-25-2008, 11:22 PM

Knife to the University of Mary.

http://gbbrecruit.blogspot.com/search/label/Shaunna%20Knife

TAILG8R
08-25-2008, 11:45 PM
This one I know, Ali Collins is a D1 prospect and has the interest of NDSU and a few other D1 schools.

I can't believe it finally I get to be a bisonville insider.

P.S. The real kind not the lakesbison kind ;)

ndsubison1
09-01-2008, 03:28 AM
BlueKeyAlum....you are right in that AAU is where high school players get a chance at playing against some of the best in the country. But I have to say that in general AAU coaches don't spend as much time with a player as a high school coach does. So, when you say they get most guidance from AAU coaches involving their skills, I have to disagree. I have been around AAU ball in Minnesota for eleven years and know that skill work is not a priority - in general - with the AAU coaches.

ming....Does Mandan play in Hawaii and Vegas during the viewing periods so they can be seen by D1 coaches?

Sorry for the late reply but I am not 100% positive on this but I believe they do play in those tournies when D1 coaches can see them. I believe that is a big reason why the Kelpinski (sp?) girl went to New Mexico to play.