PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV vs. Dish Network

tjbison
08-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Ok Bisonville, i'm tired of Cableone here in Fargo, need some help, would love to know which is best Direct TV or Dish Network, looking for a HD/DVR Sports orientated package, anybody that has had both would be great to hear from.

oh yeah if you voted for OTHER please tell me what:p

56BISON73
08-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Ok Bisonville, i'm tired of Cableone here in Fargo, need some help, would love to know which is best Direct TV or Dish Network, looking for a HD/DVR Sports orientated package, anybody that has had both would be great to hear from.

I switched from Dish To Direct TV last years because Dish didnt have the Big Ten Channel at the time. Dish now has it . But I would have to give Direct TV the go ahead on customer service and entry packages. PL

SlickVic
08-16-2008, 02:02 AM

direct tv hands down how many times to i have to tell you fools cableone blows? anyways direct tv should be running the sunday ticket special every possible channel free for 4 months when u purchase nfl sunday ticket...just call 1 800 direct tv and ask for the joe mays special ;)

scheelsguy
08-16-2008, 03:15 AM
I like Midcontinent! We switched from CableOne this spring. Many more HD channels, including FSN HD, and more basic channels too. I pay less now than I did with CableOne. Also, just this week Midcon added the Big Ten Network.

NDSUstudent
08-16-2008, 02:51 PM
For HD and Sports it is DTV all the way, no other provider comes close to what it has to offer in those two categories.

imabison
08-16-2008, 03:32 PM
For HD and Sports it is DTV all the way, no other provider comes close to what it has to offer in those two categories.
I have had DTV from the beginning. When it became apparently my reciever was becoming outdated, I had to call a tech. After some minor configuration changes it worked. The tech at the time asked me if I was going to ever go HD, and I said yes.

He said I have noted your account, we will replace all your equipment free of charge, including the new dish and LNB's. All I had to do was agree to a 2 yr commitment, which I glady did.

When I called the came right out and upgraded everything free as promised.

tjbison
08-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming not going to make a decision until the poll closes want as much info as possible!!;)

Herd
08-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Is there anything else besides directv? Not if you have it. I Would Never go back to anything else!

Tatanka
08-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Is there anything else besides directv? Not if you have it. I Would Never go back to anything else!
+ freaking +. Love the DirecTV.

WildBill
08-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Direct TV is a must if you're a sports fan

56BISON73
08-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming not going to make a decision until the poll closes want as much info as possible!!;)

Beat them up for as many perks as you can get. I got 10.00 off per month for 10 months, a 50.00 gift card. Plus NFL Sunday ticket free for the 1st year. PL

Da Bison
08-16-2008, 11:46 PM
We have Direct and +love it+

HooliganBison
08-17-2008, 04:03 AM
Does anyone know when the CableOne contract(monopoly) ends? When did the city of Fargo sign the stupid contract?

MHDBisonfan
08-17-2008, 04:29 AM
Direct - no doubt. tons of hd channels, big ten channel plus alternates, all the fox sports network channels, golf channel and on and on. i also buy the nba package which turns into my default viewing during the winter months! nothing like watching kobe drop 81 on the raptors.

bisonmike2
08-17-2008, 02:55 PM
anyone heard anything about dish networks turbo hd?

aces1180
08-17-2008, 03:04 PM
anyone heard anything about dish networks turbo hd?

I did a competitive analysis on it for work. On paper, it looks like a great service. However, there are still channels that don't offer an HD feed as of yet - MSNBC for one, you subscribers will miss out on certain channels they have become accustomed to with regular cable/satellite service. It won't have the NFL Sunday Ticket like DirecTV, but does have comparable channels when increasing to the highest package, which is only $39.95/month. The price is right and its 100% HD, so I think its worth a shot.

My buddy in Brainerd just ordered it, so I will have to get his first-hand account and get more information.

tjbison
08-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Ok now another question Where is the best place in town to get hooked up Install and all for Direct TV, been to Best Buy and looked but there are numerous others!

met1990
08-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Dish Network provided me with the worst customer service I've ever received. They failed at all levels possible. That's a notable accomplishment considering I used to go to the Verizon store at West Acres Mall in Fargo. That place should be replaced with a smoking hole in the ground. (No, I'm not the former SU wrestler that trashed the place. I only wish I thought of it first...).

56BISON73
08-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Ok now another question Where is the best place in town to get hooked up Install and all for Direct TV, been to Best Buy and looked but there are numerous others!

Call the company directly. You will get more deals that way. They will then schedule someone to install it for you. PL

NDSUstudent
08-19-2008, 12:57 AM

Call up Satellite Solutions, those guys do a good job.

imabison
08-19-2008, 03:19 AM
Call up Satellite Solutions, those guys do a good job.
When my installation was done, it was a Direct TV installtion however I just heard that they closed, and Satellite Solutions has taken over their accounts.

I would recommend checking with the Direct TV online site, and also calling them direct. Sometimes there are online deals that are only available online.

If you know a friend who has Direct TV take advantage of their referral deal. Currently I thinks its $ 50 off their bill, and you bill for 1 month.

Da_Bizon
08-19-2008, 03:56 AM
Hey guys... I think I can help you out on this one. Warning: this is kind of long, but there is a lot of good info in here. I would say that I'm somewhat of an expert, so if you have any questions, feel free to let me know. :)

First of all, even with the referral programs, I would NOT recommend calling a 1-800 number to get hooked up. DirecTV does not have anyone closer than Oklahoma to do their installs and/or service work. The company they had was so bad that they fired them. Also, it is a long wait to get them hooked up. Dish Network has people in town, but it will take you about a 2-3 weeks to get service. You really can't beat the service of a local company that will get you in within a couple of days.

Secondly, as far as HD, DirecTV has more channels but DISH Network is catching up. Only DISH has has stand-alone HD programming. As far as the locals in HD, Fargo is on the list for DISH for this fall, but DirecTV does not have us on their list yet.

As far as promotions, DirecTV is currently offering their highest package (a $104/ month value) free for 4 months if you get the NFL Sunday Ticket Package. You also get 4 free months of DVR and they wave the fee for the first HD, DVR or HD/DVR. You also get the sports pack and all of the premium movie channels free for 4 months. If you don't want the Sunday Ticket, they are offering $18 off per month of their base packages for one year.

DISH Network is basically offering free DVR service for the length of your contract. DISH is giving HBO and Starz free for 3 months and you can get Cinemax for a penny for a year if you sign up for credit card autopay. They also give you a $50 credit on your first bill. Also, it isn't a promotion, but there are many less situations where you'll have to pay up-front for equipment.

Also, something else to be aware of is having a credit card. DISH has recently lowered their standards so it's easier to get approved with a credit card, but you now have to have almost a perfect credit score to use a debit card. It's very difficult to use a debit card with DISH, but it USUALLY works with DirecTV (their credit standards are a little higher). You can get either without a credit or debit card, but it's gonna cost you up front, especially if you want HD or DVR.

Finally, I noticed someone said that when the DirecTV installation company closed, Satellite Solutions took over their contract. I don't know who said that, but it isn't true. If you want local service, you can contact them and they'll get you in within a day or two, but if you were installed by anyone else, there will be a service charge. Also, you can only do upgrades through the company that set you up. If they aren't around any more, then you'll unfortunately have to go through the 1-800 numbers (with both DISH and DirecTV). That is why you really should go through local dealers. They have their own installers that know what they are doing and they can fit you in in a timely manner.

56BISON73
08-19-2008, 04:31 AM
You need a credit card to get Direct TV??? PL

Da_Bizon
08-19-2008, 04:48 AM
You need a credit card to get Direct TV??? PL

DirecTV will accept credit or debit... DISH network is almost exclusively credit. Debit works every once in a while. You can do either company without a card, but it'll cost you up-front.

It is basically because you don't actually own the equipment, so they want to make sure they can get their money back if you run away with the equipment. All they do is put a hold on the card for a couple of days then remove it to make sure the card is good; then they keep it on file.

HerdBot
08-19-2008, 01:14 PM
DirecTV is by far the superior product. The sports packages and HD options is 2nd to none. I love my DirecTV and I will never every switch. I got DirecTV and 7 meg Qwest internet all on one bill.