PDA

View Full Version : Football vs. hunting

Gully
08-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Ok, each year it seems we have a game or games where attendance is hurt by hunting. Question to the hunters.....how do the dates of this year's game match up with key hunting dates?

Bison"FANatic"
08-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Western Illinois is on Pheasant opener otherwise I do believe we miss most of the opening weekends.

heckler
08-13-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't know about the ND season or how many people from MN come to games but here is the deer hunting for MN

11/08/08 Deer hunt Firearm opener

11/08/08 - 11/14/08 Deer hunt - Firearm - Zone 3A

11/08/08 - 11/23/08 Deer hunt - Firearm - Zone 1A

11/08/08 - 11/16/08 Deer hunt - Firearm - Zone 2A

11/22/08 - 11/30/08 Deer hunt - Firearm - Zone 3B

11/29/08 - 12/14/08 Deer hunt - Muzzleloader season

bisonaudit
08-13-2008, 03:48 PM
ND dear opener is 11/07/08, so that's good news.

CarringtonBison
08-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Football vs. Hunting..............

Jessica Alba vs. Charlize Theron

choices, choices, choices

Herd Mentality
08-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Like I stated last year... (besides not caring about MN deer season). The biggest factor is that the largest hunting unit in ND (which also includes Fargo for the most part), is no longer a split season. That gave a lot of us more weekends to choose from to go out and hunt instead of just one which was the opener.

Pheasant hunting...I don't understand the big push to go out for opening weekend. I just make the first weekend that isn't during a home game, all the mob-hunters are out of the field by then.

I still think that they'd help the cause by moving the games during deer hunting season to later in the day. I think you'd get more attendance.

OldBison
08-13-2008, 04:44 PM
I still think that they'd help the cause by moving the games during deer hunting season to later in the day. I think you'd get more attendance.

Four of the six games are at night, including the two that are actually being played during "deer hunting season".

Homecoming is homecoming (Oct 4), it is what it is, and that game time will never be changed to anything other than an afternoon game, that is just the way it is going to be considering all of the other activities associated with it.

That leaves only one game that could be moved to later in the day, this year anyway, and that is the Oct 11 game at 3PM against W Ill and it is my understanding that time was dictated by the network televising the game. But as a technicality, are there any places around here that hunt deer that early? I don't know, I'm asking.

So, not sure there are a lot of opportunities to move game times later in the day.

HerdBot
08-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Ok, each year it seems we have a game or games where attendance is hurt by hunting. Question to the hunters.....how do the dates of this year's game match up with key hunting dates?

I find that to be really lame. You can hunt anytime but the game is only played once. Take some vacation time and hunt during the week!

56BISON73
08-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Four of the six games are at night, including the two that are actually being played during "deer hunting season".

Homecoming is homecoming (Oct 4), it is what it is, and that game time will never be changed to anything other than an afternoon game, that is just the way it is going to be considering all of the other activities associated with it.

That leaves only one game that could be moved to later in the day, this year anyway, and that is the Oct 11 game at 3PM against W Ill and it is my understanding that time was dictated by the network televising the game. But as a technicality, are there any places around here that hunt deer that early? I don't know, I'm asking.

So, not sure there are a lot of opportunities to move game times later in the day.

Bow season is probably going on at that time. But I dont think that it would have an impact like the firearm opener. PL

56BISON73
08-13-2008, 05:07 PM
I find that to be really lame. You can hunt anytime but the game is only played once. Take some vacation time and hunt during the week!

NO you cant hunt just anytime. For certain seasons there are small windows of opportunity. For many the opening weekend is the only chance they get as vaction time is alloted to family etc. Plus Deer firearm in MN only lasts from Nov 8th and ends on the 16th. So ANYtime doesnt work for most. The FB season lasts from the end of Aug to the end of Nov.

I find it lame that you get upset that people have other interests in there life. PL

ps its just a game

bisonaudit
08-13-2008, 05:24 PM
And....time...

We made it a whole 7 posts before this:

Not to bad really.

Whether you think hunting is lame or not it's a reality that football attendance is harmed by the dear opener. Period. End of story. Personally, hunting isn't my thing, but I don't begrudge anyone their hobbies. The Bison are off the weekend of the opener this year and on the road the next weekend. Whether they did that on purpose or it was just good scheduling karma it's a plus for the fans, the team, the athletic department and the University. Hunters, good luck. Use up those tags. NDSU fans, look forward to the smell of grilled venison sausages at the SDSU tailgate.

SDbison
08-13-2008, 05:33 PM
NO you cant hunt just anytime. For certain seasons there are small windows of opportunity. For many the opening weekend is the only chance they get as vaction time is alloted to family etc. Plus Deer firearm in MN only lasts from Nov 8th and ends on the 16th. So ANYtime doesnt work for most. The FB season lasts from the end of Aug to the end of Nov.

I find it lame that you get upset that people have other interests in there life. PL

ps its just a game
So is hunting PL........

It all comes down to priorities. The way I look at it people that love to hunt and go to Bison home games have 2 options:
1. Go to all the home games and work the hunting in when they can.
2. Skip one or two games to maximize hunting opportunities.

Between pheasant, duck, goose and deer seasons I usually hunt about 10 days a year yet I rarely take a vacation day. Between all those seasons I have about 100 days in which to choose when to hunt (yes, only 15 of those days are for deer). Compared to Bison football, there are only 11 games in a season and only 6 days in which there is a home game. In summary there is no reason that a Bison fan and hunter can't do both. Sure it takes a bit more planning, but if missing 17 to 33 percent of the home games is acceptable, then hunting must really be #1 to that Bison fan.

SDbison
08-13-2008, 05:52 PM
And....time...

We made it a whole 7 posts before this:

Not to bad really.

Whether you think hunting is lame or not it's a reality that football attendance is harmed by the dear opener. Period. End of story. Personally, hunting isn't my thing, but I don't begrudge anyone their hobbies. The Bison are off the weekend of the opener this year and on the road the next weekend. Whether they did that on purpose or it was just good scheduling karma it's a plus for the fans, the team, the athletic department and the University. Hunters, good luck. Use up those tags. NDSU fans, look forward to the smell of grilled venison sausages at the SDSU tailgate.
It is not just hunting that hurts attendance. Others in the FM and surrrounding area have to start looking at their priorities and decide if Bison football means enough to them. I mean, how many borderline fans are there out there that instead of planning just promise their Saturday to take on additional hours at work, do things with family, pick up stuff for a project, go shopping, drive to the lake, etc, rather than working around the 6 Bison home games each year? The thing is now that tickets for Bison football are in short supply some may be forced to rethink their priorities, or at least plan better. Won't be long and the only game with tickets available the week of the game will be during deer season, or against a no name / much lesser opponent. With growth in the fan base even those games may soon be a sellout too!

56BISON73
08-13-2008, 05:52 PM
So is hunting PL........

It all comes down to priorities. The way I look at it people that love to hunt and go to Bison home games have 2 options:
1. Go to all the home games and work the hunting in when they can.
2. Skip one or two games to maximize hunting opportunities.

Between pheasant, duck, goose and deer seasons I usually hunt about 10 days a year yet I rarely take a vacation day. Between all those seasons I have about 100 days in which to choose when to hunt (yes, only 15 of those days are for deer). Compared to Bison football, there are only 11 games in a season and only 6 days in which there is a home game. In summary there is no reason that a Bison fan and hunter can't do both. Sure it takes a bit more planning, but if missing 17 to 33 percent of the home games is acceptable, then hunting must really be #1 to that Bison fan.

You are correct that hunting is a game also.

I dont look at it as "" what is number 1 priority"" I enjoy both and dont try to quantify-or rationalize it to justify a certain label of which is more important. I travel great distances for both activities. So I find it amusing that some would deem others less a fan because of an interest in another activity. Especially if they dont understand the other activity.

PL

56BISON73
08-13-2008, 06:23 PM
It is not just hunting that hurts attendance. Others in the FM and surrrounding area have to start looking at their priorities and decide if Bison football means enough to them. I mean, how many borderline fans are there out there that instead of planning just promise their Saturday to take on additional hours at work, do things with family, pick up stuff for a project, go shopping, drive to the lake, etc, rather than working around the 6 Bison home games each year? The thing is now that tickets for Bison football are in short supply some may be forced to rethink their priorities, or at least plan better. Won't be long and the only game with tickets available the week of the game will be during deer season, or against a no name / much lesser opponent. With growth in the fan base even those games may soon be a sellout too!

Lets not confuse tickets sales with attendance. Many people in the US buy season tickets but miss games.
If the Bison games get to the point where they actually do sell out every game and do it over a period of time people will still be able to get tickets on the secondary market which really hasnt happened yet. When I see people walking around with signs that they need tickets and others waving tickets that they have to sell then that shows there is actually a market of Bison tickets.
Granted ticket sales are up but not where they need to be. PL

stevdock
08-13-2008, 06:34 PM
56Bison I agree with most of what you have to say. People make choices based on lots of decisions. I'm not a hunter, but can understand why people miss the game to do it. The only thing that would be nice is if those season-ticket holders could get someone in their seats if at all possible. Last year I believe the first home game after the Gophers game was Deer Opener and I believe it was against SUU too. I personally felt like it would have been really nice to show our student athletes how much we appreciated what they just accomplished by having a full house to welcome them back to. Last year was one example, but I know this has happened in the past too.

I'm just glad that these two major sports in this area don't coincide this year.

Herd Mentality
08-13-2008, 06:48 PM
It's that stupid Trees bowl that should be a night game, that's usually the offender.

heckler
08-13-2008, 07:24 PM

ps its just a game

:nod: I am an avid hunter and I can't wait for bear hunting to start soon in Minnesota. I sometimes miss games because family from around the country come back to Minnesota to do some hunting. It's an awesome time with family that I would never miss out on. Family comes first (to me at least) and if missing a Bison game because of family makes me less of a fan (or lame) then so be it. I will wear the lame badge with honor. I would much rather go hunting with my family and watch the Bison game on a projector with them then miss out on my family who I might not see for the rest of the year.

BisonNeil
08-13-2008, 11:04 PM
ps its just a game

True. Football is just a sport, as is deer hunting. It's all about priorities.

Jdubs21
08-14-2008, 01:00 AM
this year we are playoff elligible, everygame is even more important now, there will not be the porr turnouts this year during hunting season

BigBison
08-14-2008, 01:11 AM
This year's schedule works out great for going hunting and making the games, for me. The only one that kinda gets in the way is SDSU but thats the 3rd weekend of hunting for me so its not super important for me to go then, hopefully i get my deers by then.

56BISON73
08-14-2008, 01:16 AM
This year's schedule works out great for going hunting and making the games, for me. The only one that kinda gets in the way is SDSU but thats the 3rd weekend of hunting for me so its not super important for me to go then, hopefully i get my deers by then.

Im hoping that we get our deer early so I can get home in time for the MSU game. Its only an hour and a half from where we live.
You are correct that it is nice that the Bison are idle this year on the MN opener. PL

WYOBISONMAN
08-14-2008, 01:56 AM
The bottom line is that anyone who tries to pass judgement on the loyalty of a Bison fan because they choose to hunt on a given day rather than attend a game is totally full of shit. Get off your high horse......we are all Bison fans.....Geez....how lame:smh:

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-14-2008, 02:14 AM

Overall, for the ND resident hunter, the home schedule looks good. Western Ill. is during the pheasant opener so that may hurt attendance a bit. However, it looks like it will be a late harvest for row crops again so the pheasant opener might be a bust, much like last year.

Between hunting, football, and running my business I plan on making one home game again this year. I would like to attend more, but time won't allow it.

UTH
08-14-2008, 04:59 AM
Do my best to schedule the deer gun outing to coincide with an away game. Last year was Cal Poly, IIRC. Looks like this year we hunters should be as lucky. If there are home games throughout the hunting season, it is NDSU's schedule-makers that you hunter-haters need to blame.

For UTH, deer season is more than just a chance to get out into God's Country - it's for times, places, and people sometimes unseen for a year...

Priorities must be kept
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Hotbabesfreshwater21kilometersmeter.jpg

*sorry 'bout the funny text. translation... <<hot babes w/ "thundering siski":D 21 km<< -or- >>fresh water 21 meters>>

HerdBot
08-14-2008, 06:01 AM

ps its just a game

I don't find it lame people have other interests. Honestly, I'm not a big hunter and I only go once every few years. Not trying to sound like a jerk but I don't understand why so many people can't squeeze in 3 hours of their time to go to a game and go hunting. Maybe it's because I'm not that big of a hunting fan. I put it in the same category as fishing... I love to do it but I won't schedule around it. I suppose a lot of you guys live far away so it's a pain in the ass to hit both.

westnodak93bison
08-14-2008, 02:18 PM
I think most people that hunt probably hunt many miles from Fargo.
I'll be in MT for at least a week in mid Sept. but will make the WY game.
The new radio deals are huge for guys like me. 550 KFYR really helps the coverage in western ND and eastern MT.

SDbison
08-14-2008, 02:54 PM
The bottom line is that anyone who tries to pass judgement on the loyalty of a Bison fan because they choose to hunt on a given day rather than attend a game is totally full of shit. Get off your high horse......we are all Bison fans.....Geez....how lame:smh:
You know I love hunting WYO, but sometime hunters get a bit too worked up about the hunt. I think the real issue in the Fargodome is that even when sold out it has a large percentage of part time fans. As the sellouts continue I hope there is a turnover and change in this percentage so that there are more Bison fanatics and less of the socialites and lukewarm fans.

OrygunBison
08-14-2008, 04:19 PM
I think you guys just need to be better shots if you're going to hunt on a weekend of Bison Football...

I remember Bison-Sioux landing on ND opening weekend in my early years of college. I just simply drove to western ND on Thursday night, waited till noon Friday for the season to start, shot my deer at 1 or 2 pm, dressed it out, had a couple of beers with my dad, then drove 300 miles back to watch the Saturday afternoon game.

Pretty simple, really...

56BISON73
08-14-2008, 05:41 PM
I think you guys just need to be better shots if you're going to hunt on a weekend of Bison Football...

I remember Bison-Sioux landing on ND opening weekend in my early years of college. I just simply drove to western ND on Thursday night, waited till noon Friday for the season to start, shot my deer at 1 or 2 pm, dressed it out, had a couple of beers with my dad, then drove 300 miles back to watch the Saturday afternoon game.

Pretty simple, really...

If you just want to shoot ANY deer I can see what you are saying. BUT if you want to shoot THE DEER that is different. We also practice deer management on our lease so every deer isnt a shooter.
Plus I have other families involved that we dont get to see but once or twice a year. Last year one of the games fell on the opener. I felt it would have been rude of me to take off to see a football game when these people came up to northern MN to hunt with me. They didnt have a problem with it but I did. Plus I has already been to 4 Bison games that year and 2 Iowa games.
What I find funny is you have people who want the hunters to give up there hunting for a football game but you dont see the hunters complaining that people should be hunting instead of going to a football game. :D

I guess I just dont understand why some have to make a big deal about hunters missing a football game. Makes no sense to me. :banghead:
PL

HerdBot
08-14-2008, 07:43 PM
If you just want to shoot ANY deer I can see what you are saying. BUT if you want to shoot THE DEER that is different. We also practice deer management on our lease so every deer isnt a shooter.
Plus I have other families involved that we dont get to see but once or twice a year. Last year one of the games fell on the opener. I felt it would have been rude of me to take off to see a football game when these people came up to northern MN to hunt with me. They didnt have a problem with it but I did. Plus I has already been to 4 Bison games that year and 2 Iowa games.
What I find funny is you have people who want the hunters to give up there hunting for a football game but you dont see the hunters complaining that people should be hunting instead of going to a football game. :D

I guess I just dont understand why some have to make a big deal about hunters missing a football game. Makes no sense to me. :banghead:
PL

You got legit reasons with family. It's the people who just go off by themselves and hunt over the Bison games on a regular basis that I'm talking about. What really bothers me is the fact they don't give their ticket away and we have empty seats. Last year after we beat the Gophers I felt like it wasn't cool to have them come back to a 3/4 full dome to celebrate. That's just my take.

OrygunBison
08-14-2008, 08:40 PM

PL

Christ, some people can't take a little ribbing. Dude, I was messing with you. Please don't lump me in with "you people". I'm a hunter, too. Just maybe better, I guess...

56BISON73
08-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Christ, some people can't take a little ribbing. Dude, I was messing with you. Please don't lump me in with "you people". I'm a hunter, too. Just maybe better, I guess...

Sorry. Didnt mean to come off that way. I kind of lumped in an explanation from two different posts. :blush: LOL PL

NDSU1980
08-15-2008, 02:17 AM
ND dear opener is 11/07/08..........

"dear opener" huh? I'd say that if you are still single, that's a good way to get married, and if you are married, that's a sure fire way to get divorced. LOL.

OrygunBison
08-31-2018, 02:52 PM
Ghost of Old Threads Past.

I just ran across this oldie. Does this conversation even exist given how hard it is to get tickets just 10 years later?

Snowgoose
08-31-2018, 03:46 PM

I just ran across this oldie. Does this conversation even exist given how hard it is to get tickets just 10 years later?

The change in how difficult it is to get tickets over the past decade coincides with how much more difficult it is to get onto land to hunt.

56BISON73
08-31-2018, 03:49 PM

Mn deer hunting opener is on the same weekend as YSU.

HuskerBizon
08-31-2018, 03:51 PM
In the last 5 years I've spent my weekends chasing deer, geese, ducks, and pheasants during the football season.

Personally for me, I'd rather be in the field as I can record the game and watch it later. Being a Die-hard hunter and Die-hard bison fan, this is the best of both worlds for me.

56BISON73
08-31-2018, 03:57 PM
I don't find it lame people have other interests. Honestly, I'm not a big hunter and I only go once every few years. Not trying to sound like a jerk but I don't understand why so many people can't squeeze in 3 hours of their time to go to a game and go hunting. Maybe it's because I'm not that big of a hunting fan. I put it in the same category as fishing... I love to do it but I won't schedule around it. I suppose a lot of you guys live far away so it's a pain in the ass to hit both.

Read this old post and will respond. If you are hunting right next to the dome I would give up 3 hours for the game. Kind of difficult when people live off in the hinterlands of ND, SD , MN to do that. You just cant squeeze it in.

mtoutfitter
08-31-2018, 04:00 PM

I found tickets and I'm coming all the way from Montana. Have an archery hunter coming in tonight but I'm farming him out to one of my guides. Hopefully they'll be done by the time I get back Sunday afternoon......GO BISON!

BisonFanAnn
08-31-2018, 04:06 PM
I bring a radio into the woods with me, and listen to the game in my deer stand. I listen with one ear, hunt with the other. And sometimes I text game updates to my husband. I record the game and watch it when deer season is over.

I will never forget Phil Hanson's comments about Zach Vraa's spectacular over-the-head catch. Phil said something like "I'm the color guy, and I just don't have anything to say about that!" I had no idea what he was talking about - but I could hardly wait to get home to find out!

Honeybooboo
08-31-2018, 04:10 PM
schedule this year works awesome for me, all my scheduled hunting weekends hit the bye week and away games! I managed to do both...lol

Snowgoose
08-31-2018, 04:21 PM
Personally for me, I'd rather be in the field as I can record the game and watch it later. Being a Die-hard hunter and Die-hard bison fan, this is the best of both worlds for me.[/QUOTE]

I love hunting in the morning and watching Bison football in the afternoon and evening. Getting harder to do with four kids, but my wife is a saint. All time great Saturday is waterfowl hunting with friends and watching a Bison victory in the afternoon.

I can still remember which tree claim near Westhope I was at was as a teenage when we lost to Augustana in the late 80's listening on the radio.

JMB
08-31-2018, 04:27 PM
Read this old post and will respond. If you are hunting right next to the dome I would give up 3 hours for the game. Kind of difficult when people live off in the hinterlands of ND, SD , MN to do that. You just cant squeeze it in.
This maybe the dictionary definition of having to get in the last word... :)

SomeBeach
08-31-2018, 09:00 PM
Gawd I hate the off season.

56BISON73
08-31-2018, 09:05 PM
I bring a radio into the woods with me, and listen to the game in my deer stand. I listen with one ear, hunt with the other. And sometimes I text game updates to my husband. I record the game and watch it when deer season is over.

I will never forget Phil Hanson's comments about Zach Vraa's spectacular over-the-head catch. Phil said something like "I'm the color guy, and I just don't have anything to say about that!" I had no idea what he was talking about - but I could hardly wait to get home to find out!

Yep radio with ear buds work great. But if I turn the wrong way I lose reception. But Im just happy to get the broadcast over by Clearbrook MN.

Honeybooboo
09-01-2018, 03:25 AM
Gawd I hate the off season.

Lol.....yup