PDA

View Full Version : Paul Backowski

tjbison
08-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Has quite the team, still should be plenty of OL depth!

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=210018

BisonNeil
08-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Very unfortunate. Good luck to him!

It made sense when there was a three way tie for LT after spring practice that one of the two who lost out would be moved to RT behind Buckman leaving the other backup to be 2nd team behind the starting LT. But Jeff says that is also likely now that there are only two players competing for LT. Why wouldn't they simply keep both Ebel and Arndt at LT regardless of who starts? Why move the one who loses the starting position to the other side? What am I missing?

Hansel
08-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Very unfortunate. Good luck to him!
Why wouldn't they simply keep both Ebel and Arndt at LT regardless of who starts? Why move the one who loses the starting position to the other side? What am I missing?

I would assume the whoever doesn't start would be the backup at both LT and RT

BisonNeil
08-01-2008, 09:35 PM
I would assume the whoever doesn't start would be the backup at both LT and RT

Then this does affect our depth, as opposed to what was orginally stated in start of the thread. If we have only one back up for both OTs, that is not good in my estimation. That means Wellenstein and Cornick have not stepped up. I hope this isn't true.

WRSDBison
08-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Then this does affect our depth, as opposed to what was orginally stated in start of the thread. If we have only one back up for both OTs, that is not good in my estimation. That means Wellenstein and Cornick have not stepped up. I hope this isn't true.

I don't believe thats what he's saying. Those two are probably both capable of contributing. He's just saying whoever doesn't win the starting spot would be the first backup for both positions. If for some reason both were unable to play than Wellenstein or Cornick would be able to step in at RT

Jdubs21
08-01-2008, 10:51 PM
sucks to see a kid have to leave the team, get urself healthy paul!

sambini
08-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Good luck Paul++++

Bison"FANatic"
08-02-2008, 03:42 AM
Best of luck to Paul. Back problems suck and can make life hell. Sometimes you can try every treatment out there but until you quite the activity that is causing you to have the problem you don't get better. I am sure it was a tough decision.

westnodak93bison
08-02-2008, 03:49 AM
damn, that is too bad. Good luck to you Paul.

99Bison
08-02-2008, 03:50 AM

No that would mean that whoever isn't the starter is a better backup than the other two...

99Bison
08-02-2008, 03:51 AM
The most worrisome for me is that is at least 3 high level guys in the last 3 years that have developed back problems enough to quit football.

Bison"FANatic"
08-02-2008, 04:08 AM
The most worrisome for me is that is at least 3 high level guys in the last 3 years that have developed back problems enough to quit football.

Back injuries are quite common in college football they put the body under a ton of stress that is not normal for most people. They are in better shape than most people so this helps minimize the occurance of Back pain but it is still quite prevelant.

Here are a few studies, kind of old but should still hold true. A bunch of stuff that none of you probably care about but the highlighted parts are relevant to this discussion

We reviewed the records of 506 consecutive college football players over an eight-year period. Of these athletes, 135 (27%) had low-back pain. Because of persistent low-back symptoms, 58 players had roentgenograms of the lumbosacral spine; 12 cases of lumbar spondylosis were observed. From the 58 players for whom roentgenograms were available, two groups were compared with respect to time lost from games and practices. One group (N = 8) had low-back pain complaints with lumbar spondylosis. The randomly selected control group (N = 12) had low-back pain with no evidence of spondylolysis on roentgenograms. There was no significant difference in time loss between these two groups (4.8% versus 4.0%). It appears that lumbar spondylolysis is of minimal clinical significance over a short (four-year) period. The long-term implications of lumbar spondylolysis are clearly important but are not addressed in this study.

PMID: 6456554 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Over a 4 year period, 12 college players were treated for diskogenic injury. The most common position affected was down-lineman. Symptoms consisted of low back and/or radicular pain. No players could recall the onset of symptoms relative to football activity; weightlifting was associated with symptoms in three cases. Tentative clinical diagnosis was herniated disk disease. Method of diagnosis in the athletic population is presented along with results of surgical treatment. Percutaneous diskectomy appears to be successful for disk herniations occurring at the L4-5 space or higher.

PMID: 3812863 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

X-Factor
08-02-2008, 06:59 PM

thats not what he said. He said there is still plenty of depth, not that is would affect depth. Bohl was quoted saying that by the way so I wouldn't worry.

CaBisonFan
08-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Just a thought.

What the coaches would rate as the third best offensive tackle on the team is apparently the best option to give both starters a break...on either side.

If there were a serious injury, then the others would fit into the formula.

I don't think that it has much to do with the rest of the guys...more to do with the caliber of the super sub.

It appears that we have a good problem...called depth...and a nearly three-way tie for the two positions.

We'll miss you Paul. Take it from a two-time back surgery patient...mainly because of football...continuing to play in pain, or to risk more injury isn't worth it.

Bison81
08-04-2008, 01:07 PM
best of luck to your future Paul !