PDA

View Full Version : New Balance

CaBisonFan
07-25-2008, 08:09 AM
There is a new kind of balance on this team. The new depth and diversity at running back, another great offensive line, and veteran receivers will take the pressure off of whoever is calling the signals.

We won't be as 'quarterback dependent.' We lost to SDSU last year because of some silly mistakes...but the mistakes happened, in great part, because guys were trying to do too much. The depth was gone, and a few vital players weren't around to do their normal work. Barring a huge rash of injuries, that situation won't present itself again.

Cal Poly & SDSU learned that keying 2-3 guys on Tyler Roehl took care of a lot of problems and made us more dependent on Steve Walker to pull it out. The biggest story, on the negative side, from last year was the injury to Pat Paschall. He provided the dimension that didn't allow a defense to spend all week preparing to shadow Tyler...and a slashing, tough, quick, vertical, downhill, find the right hole, get there fast, break a tackle, and get the necessary yardage...style of running. We have Pat back, and a full deck of diversity behind him.

The days of keying on Tyler, to that extent, are over.

Ball control + great defense = consistency from week to week

Very few teams will be equipped to deal with it. Northern Iowa...mainly because it is at their house...will come the closest. They will be outmanned...but could beat us because of the friendly environment.

We have depth that we wouldn't have dreamed of in the past years.

The SIU game will have some attitude to it...for obvious reasons. Business will be taken care of.

Avenging last year's loss will be on the minds of every player. We'll save one of our 'A' games for that. But we will bring a lot of 'A' games because of the depth of talent that is new to the Bison. The playing field was leveled for SDSU because of what I've described...plus the obvious 'cut it with a knife' atmosphere at Coughlin Stadium. Even if we had been eligible for the playoffs last year...there weren't enough horses left in the stable to make a serious run. The last three games of 2007 looked like another team was on the field...because it was...through no one's fault.

We will finish in the top five rankings again...tie for the conference...and make a serious playoff run.

Depth with diversity is the new Bison mantra. We are a DI-A football team and could compete for a mid-to-upper tier bowl game in the FBS. We couldn't play with the dozen (or thereabouts) elite teams in the FBS, but as for the rest of the lot...there'd be no blowouts. Not even sure the elites would embarrass us.

Hey listen folks...this team has been designed from the ground up to enter this new era with a full head of steam. The depth and talent are enormous.

As much as some of us fear having a new quarterback...I'll go on record by saying that first...the balance of the team won't demand a great quarterback performance every week. But the beauty of it all is that we 'will' see several great QB performances. Talent, intelligence, and a 'great' supporting cast will allow Nick Mertens to relax and to dismantle most teams.

It will be surgery...but if Nick were hurt...this kid from Southern California has the credentials and the experience to surprise all of us, as a true freshman, if needed. Mohler is one of the X-Factors.

But the biggest thing to look forward to will be the emergence of a dominant defense. The stars have lined up for this group.

Balance is back in Bison country. The defense will get used to a lot of 3 and outs...and the fans will 'once again' consistently cheer for the 'D' when they leave the field...and in time, it will feel like 'business as usual.' And like having a hot pitcher on the mound, the defense will allow the rest of the team to relax. Scoring will definitely happen...but the urgency to score won't be quite as obvious from week to week.

If people in the FCS thought that they had seen a great Bison team over the past couple of years...let me just say...that they really don't know much about Bison football. But they will learn throughout the course of the season that the sleeping giant was just starting to wake up. In 2008, it's had a cup of coffee, and is ready to snort. The herd mentality is back.

To you younger fans that didn't get to see the dynasty teams...you're in for a treat. Great defense is the core of Bison football. The offense will be allowed to decorate the cake. They won't have to bake it.

We'll be on a level with App. State....a different kind of team....but with a similar confidence and ability.

Did I say we'd win it all? Hardly

But as it always has been...it's about the caliber of play from week to week. We won't be disappointed.

Thus Sprach CaBisonFan

http://www.picturehosting.com/images/hansgordy/monolith2001a.jpg

My God...we're full of stars.

Bison101
07-25-2008, 12:45 PM
This all means a trip to Chattanooga!

d3boys
07-25-2008, 01:27 PM
This all means a trip to Chattanooga!

choo choo!!!!!

BisoninNWMN
07-26-2008, 12:10 AM
CA: Great analysis as usual. This Bison team is a "sleeping giant" ready to explode. This defense could be the best in Bison history...depth in the line, linebackers, and secondary. You're right, teams are going to prepare for Tyler ; Pat $ DJ will give us another dimension at rb. We'll probably have 2 rb's with over 1000 yds and another with 500-750. Mertens just has to manage the game and keep the defense off balance. I'm excited for this season. I expect a deep playoff run with a possible National Championship!!:) :) GO BISON!!

sambini
07-26-2008, 02:43 AM
There is a new kind of balance on this team. The new depth and diversity at running back, another great offensive line, and veteran receivers will take the pressure off of whoever is calling the signals.

We won't be as 'quarterback dependent.' We lost to SDSU last year because of some silly mistakes...but the mistakes happened, in great part, because guys were trying to do too much. The depth was gone, and a few vital players weren't around to do their normal work. Barring a huge rash of injuries, that situation won't present itself again.

Cal Poly & SDSU learned that keying 2-3 guys on Tyler Roehl took care of a lot of problems and made us more dependent on Steve Walker to pull it out. The biggest story, on the negative side, from last year was the injury to Pat Paschall. He provided the dimension that didn't allow a defense to spend all week preparing to shadow Tyler...and a slashing, tough, quick, vertical, downhill, find the right hole, get there fast, break a tackle, and get the necessary yardage...style of running. We have Pat back, and a full deck of diversity behind him.

Very few teams will be equipped to deal with it. Northern Iowa...mainly because it is at their house...will come the closest. They will be outmanned...but could beat us because of the friendly environment.

The SIU game will have some attitude to it...for obvious reasons. Business will be taken care of.

Avenging last year's loss will be on the minds of every player. We'll save one of our 'A' games for that. But we will bring a lot of 'A' games because of the depth of talent that is new to the Bison. The playing field was leveled for SDSU because of what I've described...plus the obvious 'cut it with a knife' atmosphere at Coughlin Stadium. Even if we had been eligible for the playoffs last year...there weren't enough horses left in the stable to make a serious run. The last three games of 2007 looked like another team was on the field...because it was...through no one's fault.

We will finish in the top five rankings again...tie for the conference...and make a serious playoff run.

Depth with diversity is the new Bison mantra. We are a DI-A football team and could compete for a mid-to-upper tier bowl game in the FBS. We couldn't play with the dozen (or thereabouts) elite teams in the FBS, but as for the rest of the lot...there'd be no blowouts. Not even sure the elites would embarrass us.

Hey listen folks...this team has been designed from the ground up to enter this new era with a full head of steam. The depth and talent are enormous.

As much as some of us fear having a new quarterback...I'll go on record by saying that first...the balance of the team won't demand a great quarterback performance every week. But the beauty of it all is that we 'will' see several great QB performances. Talent, intelligence, and a 'great' supporting cast will allow Nick Mertens to relax and to dismantle most teams.

It will be surgery...but if Nick were hurt...this kid from Southern California has the credentials and the experience to surprise all of us, as a true freshman, if needed. Mohler is one of the X-Factors.

But the biggest thing to look forward to will be the emergence of a dominant defense. The stars have lined up for this group.

Balance is back in Bison country. The defense will get used to a lot of 3 and outs...and the fans will 'once again' consistently cheer for the 'D' when they leave the field...and in time, it will feel like 'business as usual.' And like having a hot pitcher on the mound, the defense will allow the rest of the team to relax. Scoring will definitely happen...but the urgency to score won't be quite as obvious from week to week.

If people in the FCS thought that they had seen a great Bison team over the past couple of years...let me just say...that they really don't know much about Bison football. But they will learn throughout the course of the season that the sleeping giant was just starting to wake up. In 2008, it's had a cup of coffee, and is ready to snort. The herd mentality is back.

To you younger fans that didn't get to see the dynasty teams...you're in for a treat. Great defense is the core of Bison football. The offense will be allowed to decorate the cake. They won't have to bake it.

We'll be on a level with App. State....a different kind of team....but with a similar confidence and ability.

But as it always has been...it's about the caliber of play from week to week. We won't be disappointed.

Thus Sprach CaBisonFan

Well done Ca Bison ++++++++++++++

BisonNeil
07-26-2008, 03:06 PM
I think Kolpack would agree. He told me in an email, when responding to one of my questions, he said he felt the 2008 version of the Bison had a chance to be better than the 2007 version of the Bison. My recollection was that was based on a better D, a just as effective O, and better special teams play outside of punting.

I think it comes down to hunger. Remember Bohl asked Kramer if he thought this team was hungry during summer workouts. Kramer said yes. I think the chance to make the playoffs after five long years would do that for a team that has been a very comfortable 20-2 the past two seasons. I enjoy thinking about additional games at the dome in Nov but am too supertitious to predict a NC as some have.

I know this is going to sound strange, since there are so many things to look forward to on Aug 28 and beyond, but I can hardly wait to find out who the starting LT will be against AP. Will it be the best pass protector Backowski? Will it be the best run blocker Ebel? Will it be the most athletic Arndt (who is currently listed as an OG on the roster right now, BTW)? The 3-way tie bodes well for depth, as CaBison has alluded to.

SlickVic
07-26-2008, 06:15 PM
I think it comes down to hunger.

i think PL would agree ;)

TheDoctor
07-26-2008, 08:01 PM
i think PL would agree ;)

SLICK! I told you to quit with PL and the weight jokes. ;)

Wacker_in_the_Hall
07-27-2008, 05:12 AM

Thus Sprach CaBisonFan

Agree with most of this.....but saying that Northern Iowa will be "outmanned" not sure I agree with that statement.

JackJD
07-27-2008, 05:34 AM
I'm bookmarking this thread. I think this is the thread that will be used for the "I told you so..." at the end of the season when the Jackrabbits retain the Marker.

BisonNeil
07-27-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm bookmarking this thread. I think this is the thread that will be used for the "I told you so..." at the end of the season when the Jackrabbits retain the Marker.

That will be quite a day if it comes true, especially since the last time the bunnies beat the Bison in Fargo pre-dates your parents birth.

BisoninNWMN
07-27-2008, 10:20 PM
No way in HE** the bunnies beat us in the FD. Bison will beat the bunnies by at least 2 tds or more....paybacks are a bitch!!!:D :D