PDA

View Full Version : Why our ancestors left Norway.....

WYOBISONMAN
07-25-2008, 05:32 AM
OK....I am on my first trip to Norway and visiting relatives. I do know now why they left and came to the United States.

A glass of tap beer in the bar is $13.00!!!!! I would have to get the hell out too at those prices!!

Bison"FANatic"
07-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Oh I understand that. I was a exchange student to Norway in High School and that place was very expensive and that was a long time ago. One of the most expensive in the world. A very nice looking country though and lots of fun things to do. Have fun and enjoy the beer it sounds like it has gold in it.

bisonaudit
07-25-2008, 02:22 PM
You're getting killed on the exchange. 18 months ago that beer only would have been $9.50. :)

"In this replacement Earth we're building they've given me Africa to do and of course I'm doing it with all fjords again because I happen to like them, and I'm old fashioned enough to think that they give a lovely baroque feel to a continent. And they tell me it's not equatorial enough. Equatorial!" He gave a hollow laugh. "What does it matter? Science has achieved some wonderful things of course, but I'd far rather be happy than right any day." --Slartybartfast

IowaBisonToo
07-25-2008, 05:44 PM
OK....I am on my first trip to Norway and visiting relatives. I do know now why they left and came to the United States.

A glass of tap beer in the bar is $13.00!!!!! I would have to get the hell out too at those prices!!

And probably half of that is tax (not to turn this political but probably true).:blush:

56BISON73
07-25-2008, 05:53 PM
And probably half of that is tax (not to turn this political but probably true).:blush:

They have a wonderful govt pension program from what I understand. PL

UTH
07-25-2008, 06:27 PM

Luxury taxes in Norway are absolutely ridiculous. Go to a state liquor store and look at the prices. Markup on the hard stuff is even worse.

Your best option for reasonably priced booze is to take this overnight ferry (http://www.dfdsseaways.com/DSW/Intl/TravelOptions/Copenhagen-Oslo/co.htm) to Copenhagen and back, taking full advantage of the wonderful duty free shopping that it offers. For many, the savings pay the price of the ticket.

also... There is a place in Oslo where the beer can be had at American prices. [linky (http://frokostkjelleren.no/)] They have a party in late June, called Tøm Tankene (drain the tanks). Last big bang of the academic year. Beerfest. You must pass as a local college student or be a very pretty girl, though.

UTH
07-25-2008, 06:30 PM
They have a wonderful govt pension program from what I understand. PL

Many Norwegians go to places like Croatia for the same reasons that many Canadians come to the United States for health care.

*i'm not saying... i'm just saying... and hoping not to be starting political debate:hide:

TheBisonator
07-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Many Norwegians go to places like Croatia for the same reasons that many Canadians come to the United States for health care.

*i'm not saying... i'm just saying... and hoping not to be starting political debate:hide:

Yup, they come down here for our super-dee-dooper awesome #44 ranked health care system. Tucked safely on the list just behind Indonesia and Russia.

(I will end this political debate right here)

onbison09
07-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Yup, they come down here for our super-dee-dooper awesome #44 ranked health care system. Tucked safely on the list just behind Indonesia and Russia.

Countdown to a pissed off post in 3, 2, 1....

TheBisonator
07-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Countdown to a pissed off post in 3, 2, 1....

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I didn't make our health system so crappy....

onbison09
07-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I didn't make our health system so crappy....
No complaints from me. I've had to deal with our health care system.

WYOBISONMAN
07-28-2008, 06:51 AM
I have fond the answer to my problem with the $13.00 beer........we went over to my wife's relatives and drank theirs!!!! So, my advice is to mooch off the relatives as much as possible when here......

mebisonII
07-28-2008, 02:30 PM
I have fond the answer to my problem with the $13.00 beer........we went over to my wife's relatives and drank theirs!!!! So, my advice is to mooch off the relatives as much as possible when here......

Some truths are true no matter where you are :D

UTH
07-28-2008, 05:33 PM

A little late in this case, but my advice for travellers to Norwegian family / friends is to (1) grab an incredibly 'highly priced' bottle of scotch at a duty free store on the way in. (2) Offer it up as a 'happy to see you' gift. (3) Drink their beer freely. (4) Everybody wins.http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/Russiansmiley.jpg

WYOBISONMAN
07-28-2008, 06:00 PM
A little late in this case, but my advice for travellers to Norwegian family / friends is to (1) grab an incredibly 'highly priced' bottle of scotch at a duty free store on the way in. (2) Offer it up as a 'happy to see you' gift. (3) Drink their beer freely. (4) Everybody wins.http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Smilies/Russiansmiley.jpg

In my case I brought 4 fantastic bottles of wine from Sonoma!

Hoss
09-28-2008, 07:30 PM
How was the Rignes?

Where is your family from over there. I had some relatives in Oslo, Gjøvik, Rørvik, and some in the Hallingdahl area. Visited there in 2001, great trip.

WYOBISONMAN
09-28-2008, 09:00 PM
How was the Rignes?

Where is your family from over there. I had some relatives in Oslo, Gjøvik, Rørvik, and some in the Hallingdahl area. Visited there in 2001, great trip.

My relatives we visited were in Eidfjord, which is at the eastern end of Hardanger Fjord. My wifes relatives were in Oslo. When in Eidfjord you drink a beer called Hansa, and in Oslo we drank Ringness. Good beer but to expensive. Next trip for me is back to Latin America. Good beer, cheap prices!!!!

Gully
09-28-2008, 09:17 PM

While I'm sure someone rates it as #44, I seriously doubt that's true. If making sure everyone has health care is a priority, then I'm sure some rate higher than ours. While I feel the responsibilty to provide my families healthcare lies with me, you can pay for your own, thanks.

Hoss
09-28-2008, 09:30 PM
My relatives we visited were in Eidfjord, which is at the eastern end of Hardanger Fjord. My wifes relatives were in Oslo. When in Eidfjord you drink a beer called Hansa, and in Oslo we drank Ringness. Good beer but to expensive. Next trip for me is back to Latin America. Good beer, cheap prices!!!!

Yep, had some Hansa as well, plus a local brew while we were in Trondheim.

WYOBISONMAN
09-29-2008, 12:56 PM
While I'm sure someone rates it as #44, I seriously doubt that's true. If making sure everyone has health care is a priority, then I'm sure some rate higher than ours. While I feel the responsibilty to provide my families healthcare lies with me, you can pay for your own, thanks.

Actually, I have been in healthcare administration for years and American healthcare ranks rather poorly in the industrialized world. A recent study by the ACP (American College of Physicians) ranks ours below most european systems.