PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the toughest conference on the planet!

HerdBot
07-23-2008, 05:39 AM
I added this to my blog http://www.areavoices.com/bisonnation/

EVERY WEEK IS THE PLAYOFFS!!
It's a no brainer... the Missouri Valley Football Conference (formerly Gateway) is one of the toughest football leagues in the country! But check this out... nearly every poll has 6 teams ranked in the top 20. That's right... NDSU, SDSU, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, Youngstown State, and Western Illinois have all made various top 25 polls!

USA TODAY- NDSU (#2), Northern Iowa (#9), Southern Illinois (#13), South Dakota State (#14), Youngstown State (#15)

LINDSEY'S COLLEGE PREVIEW- NDSU (#2), Northern Iowa (#12), South Dakota State (#14), Southern Illinois (#15)

THE SPORTING NEWS- Northern Iowa (#3), North Dakota State (#8), Youngstown State (#9) Western Illinois (#13)

AGS POLLS- North Dakota State (#4), Northern Iowa (#5), Southern Illinois (#11), Youngstown State (#13), South Dakota State (#18)

2008 VALLEY PRE-SEASON POLL
NORTH DAKOTA STATE ...289 points
NORTHERN IOWA..........275 points
YOUNGSTOWN STATE.....209 points
WESTERN ILLINOIS........202 points
SOUTHERN ILLINOIS......201 points
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE...149 points
MISSOURI STATE..........105 points
ILLINOIS STATE...........104 points
INDIANA STATE.............41 points

Hows that for a tough schedule! WOW! Throw in a road game against D1-A Wyoming and we're in for the toughest schedule in NDSU football history!

The biggest complaint I've heard from NDSU fans in the past is the lack of quality home games. They lacked drama and excitement and many were over by half time. That was in the D2 days. This is the D1 era of exciting games and elite competition! What is the last time NDSU had 3 teams ranked in the top 25 on their HOME schedule?

If you want to be a part of something special, buy season tickets because the days of buying your tickets at the gate are almost gone. If you can't afford season tickets, single day tickets go on sale August 1st. Be sure to order tickets for the game against Southern Illinois, Western Illinois, and South Dakota State on August 1st because they will sell out quickly!

d3boys
07-23-2008, 09:00 PM
it is going to be fun

westnodak93bison
07-23-2008, 09:49 PM
I'd say toughest conference in FCS. I'd imagine the SEC, Big 12, Pac 10, ACC, Big East, Conf. USA, and maybe even the Little Eleven would beg to differ.

Scooter1
07-23-2008, 09:58 PM
I'd say toughest conference in FCS. I'd imagine the SEC, Big 12, Pac 10, ACC, Big East, Conf. USA, and maybe even the Little Eleven would beg to differ.

Thankyou, Captain Obvious.

Swany
07-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Although tough, according to the rankings, and the performances in last year's playoffs and head-to-head matchups, the Missouri Valley is the second toughest conference behind the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA).

4. James Madison, 5. Massachusetts, 7. Richmond, 16. Villanova, 19. Delaware, and 22. New Hampshire. That is 6 teams in the Top 25.

Don't be homers. CAA is as good, if not better, top to bottom, than MVC.

TheBisonator
07-23-2008, 10:10 PM
This conference is seriously better than the MAC and Sun Belt, and would probably be rated the 9th or 10th best conference in the nation regardless of division, depending on if you think the CAA or SoCon is better than the MVFC...

NDSUstudent
07-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Although tough, according to the rankings, and the performances in last year's playoffs and head-to-head matchups, the Missouri Valley is the second toughest conference behind the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA).

4. James Madison, 5. Massachusetts, 7. Richmond, 16. Villanova, 19. Delaware, and 22. New Hampshire. That is 6 teams in the Top 25.

The CAA is tough but everyone doesn't play everyone. For that reason alone I call it a wash between the two conferences.

TheBisonator
07-23-2008, 10:27 PM
The CAA is tough but everyone doesn't play everyone. For that reason alone I call it a wash between the two conferences.

Agreed. Here's how I would rate the top 15 conferences:

1. SEC
2. Pac-10
3. Big Ten
4. Big XII
5. Big East
6. ACC
7. Mountain West
8. WAC
9. Conference USA
10. Missouri Valley
11. CAA
12. Southern
13. MAC
14. Sun Belt
15. Big Sky

X-Factor
07-23-2008, 11:47 PM

This is the exact reason why the MVC is tougher than the CAA. Some of those teams had an easier road to the playoffs than others. It is all luck of the draw in the CAA and conference strength doesn't tell you a whole lot in a split conference situation.

Bisonguy
07-23-2008, 11:55 PM
The MVC is much tougher than the CAA, if only for the burden of East Coast Bias. :nod:

bisonranch
07-24-2008, 03:39 AM
KX12 had a nice report on NDSU joining the MoValley this evening. Hallstrom from WDAY did the story and the got some reaction from UNI players and coaches.

UTH
07-24-2008, 03:51 AM

You sure? Those other conferences don't even play for a real national title.:hide: :D :hide: :D :hide:

TonkaBison
07-24-2008, 04:28 AM

Ok Swany, IMHO the CAA is building an ice castle for their supposed superiority. Let us hope that strength of schedule comes into place somewhere along the way otherwise you may have to face a Big Sky opponent!!!!

HerdBot
07-24-2008, 04:29 AM

Not a fair comparison since NDSU and SDSU were not playoff eligible. Now they are eligible so MVC wins hands down.