PDA

View Full Version : Gophers land 4 * RB

WildBill
07-21-2008, 01:49 AM
Eric Stephens out of Mansfield Timberview. A smaller back for sure. 5-8 177.

tjbison
07-21-2008, 02:26 AM
Eric Stephens out of Mansfield Timberview. A smaller back for sure. 5-8 177.

Wow, that is really small for the MIGHTY BIG TEN!!

lakesbison
07-21-2008, 03:07 AM
wow.. another lower lever 4 star RB.. congrats...

get back to me when you get 5 star kids.. brewster and mason seem to be amazing at getting low level 4 star recruits. and then not being able to coach them... im sure that will never change *yawn*

p.s- 2010 or 2011 NDSU @ Minnesota, but they are ducking us!!!

SirHinn
07-21-2008, 03:47 AM
wow.. another lower lever 4 star RB.. congrats...

get back to me when you get 5 star kids.. brewster and mason seem to be amazing at getting low level 4 star recruits. and then not being able to coach them... im sure that will never change *yawn*

p.s- 2010 or 2011 NDSU @ Minnesota, but they are ducking us!!!

Lakes, your just an absolute hater. Get back to us when you can actually make a point, some things such as Lakes not having a brain will never change *yawn*.

lakesbison
07-21-2008, 03:49 AM
i made a point.. brewster can be like mason and pile up all the LOWER LEVER star 4 kids out there they want.... still arent' 5 star kids and they still cant coach them up well enough to get to top 3 of the big ten . . . get back to me when they do that..

SlickVic
07-21-2008, 04:53 AM
common man was trying to create a website selling golden gopher doormats the other day if he does this i wouldnt count on him being on the radio waves much longer as he may become a multi millionaire over night ;)

SirHinn
07-21-2008, 12:01 PM
i made a point.. brewster can be like mason and pile up all the LOWER LEVER star 4 kids out there they want.... still arent' 5 star kids and they still cant coach them up well enough to get to top 3 of the big ten . . . get back to me when they do that..

You failed to make a point first and foremost by describing all of Brewster's players as lower level 4 star kids. You'll never give any of the recruits credit, you'll sell them short because they went to Minnesota. Had these exact same players attended NDSU, you would be describing them as under the radar blue chip studs studs. But since they choose Minnesota, you sell them short on that alone. Even with your horrible assessment of Gopher recruits, Joseph and Lipscomb are solid 4 star recruits regardless if they are at Minnesota or not. You also claimed that the Gophers made a huge mistake not going after Mertens yet if he ends up at Minnesota you then call him an overrated chump who wouldn't be able to hack it. Get back to me when you can use your brain and make a valid point.

lakesbison
07-21-2008, 03:49 PM
hold that thought... im taking my morning dump after I lifted up my golden gopher toilet seat cover.......

RodentiaX
07-21-2008, 05:35 PM
If Brewster is the devil, then give the devil his due - he can recruit.

SirHinn
07-21-2008, 06:06 PM
hold that thought... im taking my morning dump after I lifted up my golden gopher toilet seat cover.......

Your just being your typical moron self who can't take the fact that good players are going to the Gophers.

KC Bison
07-21-2008, 06:19 PM
What's your point Sir Hinn. Brewster can pile up a boatload of recruits but he is a long way from proving he can anything with them. As was mentioned over and over last year, the Bison didn't have a single player that the Gophers wanted and yet Brewster still managed to lose the game.

lakesbison
07-21-2008, 06:19 PM
ill say it for the 3rd time.....

lower level 4 star guys have always been going to minnesota since mason days'.... and how did that turn out??

get some 5 stars and get back to me.

and DUH.. if a 4 star guy went to NDSU i'd be happier, but I know FCS teams will be stuck with 2 star and 3 star players forever..

p.s-.. minnesota wanted mertens to walk on, because they had too many qb's.

bisonhusker
07-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Nobody ever questioned Brew's ability to recruit. People question his ability to coach...which is fair, since this is his first crack at being a D1 head coach.

WildBill
07-21-2008, 09:59 PM

lower level 4 star guys have always been going to minnesota since mason days'.... and how did that turn out??

and DUH.. if a 4 star guy went to NDSU i'd be happier, but I know FCS teams will be stuck with 2 star and 3 star players forever..

Lakes lets try some facts,shall we. You can count on one hand how many 4 * recruits Glen Mason got to come here. The Gophers had better talent on defense when Wacker was here. Mason won only because he could recruit 2 things. OL and RB's. And to those who say anything about Brewster's coaching. This thread has nothing to do with coaching,yet you feel the need to add that anyways.

WildBill
07-21-2008, 10:00 PM

p.s-.. minnesota wanted mertens to walk on, because they had too many better qb's.

Fixed it for you.

SirHinn
07-21-2008, 11:45 PM

How many times do people have to tell you when teams such as LSU, Texas, and Florida are recruiting those same 4 star recruits, they aren't lower level 4 stars? Also, lower level 4 stars haven't been going to Minnesota since Mase, 3 star and 2 star recruits have been. How about when you actually get your facts straight and make valid points you get back to us? You should stick to the local sports scene, anything outside of that is way out of your element.

My point has always been Brewster can get studs, it doesn't mean he can coach them. You have to applaud the fact that Minnesota is winning recruiting battles over big time schools such as LSU.

BisoninNWMN
07-21-2008, 11:46 PM
lakes has a point about Brewster. He (supposedly) is a good recruiter...now let's see how he can coach. I'll give him a few yrs to get the personal he wants but the clock is ticking. I remember when Penn State was an independant in the 80's (esp late 70's and early 80's).....Paterno couldn't get the best recruits but they were always a very good team....he and his staff could coach kids. U don't need 5* recruits to fill your whole roster, lower rated kids can develop into all-americans too. There's a lot to be said about intangibles: heart, desire, work-ethic, on-and-on. It takes a good coach to bring those intangibles to the surface. Personally I don't think Brewster is a very good coach....I might be wrong but I'll give him a few yrs to get "his" players.

Lakes is a Bison fan...maybe not to everyones liking but isn't that what this board is for...expressing our opinions.

SlickVic
07-22-2008, 12:08 AM
he and his staff could coach kids.

and 30 years later they still can they still can ;)

WildBill
07-22-2008, 02:48 AM
lakes has a point about Brewster. He (supposedly) is a good recruiter...now let's see how he can coach. I'll give him a few yrs to get the personal he wants but the clock is ticking. I remember when Penn State was an independant in the 80's (esp late 70's and early 80's).....Paterno couldn't get the best recruits but they were always a very good team....he and his staff could coach kids. U don't need 5* recruits to fill your whole roster, lower rated kids can develop into all-americans too. There's a lot to be said about intangibles: heart, desire, work-ethic, on-and-on. It takes a good coach to bring those intangibles to the surface. Personally I don't think Brewster is a very good coach....I might be wrong but I'll give him a few yrs to get "his" players.

Lakes is a Bison fan...maybe not to everyones liking but isn't that what this board is for...expressing our opinions.

Are you serious about paterno?????? The guy is an amazing recruiter and talent evaluator. Also,i'm not sure you understand what intangibles are. Intangibles are certain traits that can't be coached.

BisoninNWMN
07-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Yes, I am seriuos. Penn State was an independant for many yrs and(use to) get little repect. In 86, the Miami "machine" was suppose to roll over them...well they won with lesser talent. Like I said, Paterno could coach kids and bring the best out of kids..... ( those intangibles )!! We'll see if Brewster can do the same thing. Paterno has been coaching for 50+ yrs...doing something right:)

I think coach Bohl has the same qualities as coach!

Bison Dan
07-22-2008, 12:35 PM
I have to wonder about his recruiting. Take the qb position as a example - how many so called studs can you stack up at that position without most of them moving on? ie: his son - I'm sure more to follow. I don't see anyone knocking Webster out of the qb spot for the next 3 years. Looks like he has his mind on the offensive side more than the D side. D wins championships. Everyone is so impressed with his recruiting and he has been doing good but there's more to the making of a good team than 4 star kids. Team chemistry, coaching, fan and school support, and luck (no big injuries). We'll have to see. I know I'm going to be watching them play (DVR -as I'll be in WY) Montana State Sept 13th. that will be interesting.

lakesbison
07-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Dan.. They should roll Montana State.... since they don't employ the ball control style offense that we do.

then they can go back to thumping their chest about beating cupcakes *yawn* just like the good ol mason days!!!

South Dakota St in 2009 won't give them a fight... (they still have the grand opening date in 2009 available!! ahem...)

2010 & 2011 there are 2 openings for Minnesota Football, so Maturi.... please let NDSU play them, so we can be "educated" on how to coach lower level 4 star recruits.

tony
07-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Meh, the number of stars a kid gets is almost solely based on which schools offered a kid and what the recruiting reps of those schools are.

I wish Minnesota the best though.

aces1180
07-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Dan.. They should roll Montana State.... since they don't employ the ball control style offense that we do.

then they can go back to thumping their chest about beating cupcakes *yawn* just like the good ol mason days!!!

South Dakota St in 2009 won't give them a fight... (they still have the grand opening date in 2009 available!! ahem...)

2010 & 2011 there are 2 openings for Minnesota Football, so Maturi.... please let NDSU play them, so we can be "educated" on how to coach lower level 4 star recruits.

The Gophers aren't going to host two FCS games in the same season, so a game in '09 is not going to happen...The earliest we play them again is in '10 or '11.

bisonhusker
07-22-2008, 07:01 PM
The "star" system can be heavily weighted if a school is very open to a recruiting service such as Rivals. Ex: If U of Florida is an open book to Rivals, they may rank the players a bit higher as a thank you for their service. If Florida State won't share anything and won't help Rivals....you get the reverse. Alot of politics in this system. Trust me, coaches like STARS. That helps their future recruiting. The people that say stars aren't important are Sid Hartman type people that never got stars (Under Mason), so they bragged about how they found Greg Eslinger and developed those players. There are exceptions, but for the most part, stars can evaluate talent pretty well.

heckler
07-22-2008, 08:06 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/39674-college-football-recruiting-101-stars-mean-everythingand-nothing-at-all

"But the biggest reason highly ranked players don't guarantee you championships...coaching. Depending on the coaching at your program, you have no idea the progression a kid might have in college.

If you have great coaches to develop a four or five-star player out of high school, then you are looking good. If you have an average coach developing that same four or five-star player, well then, you aren't going to get out of those players what other teams will."

WildBill
07-22-2008, 11:41 PM
I disagree to a point. Look at Ron Zook. he isn't the best game coach out there,but his recruiting of super prospects cover of his other mistakes. Not saying Brewster will turn out like Zook. But good recruits can mask other areas.

heckler
07-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Zook inherited a disaster in Illinois, and it has taken him three seasons to turn his team into a contender for the Big Ten's first division. Brewster inherited a mediocre program and has spent his first season turning it into a disaster.

KC Bison
07-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Sorry, Wild Bill, I don't buy that. Just about every Gopher that ever posted invokes the name of Ron Zook when talking about how great Brewster is GOING TO BE.

SirHinn
07-28-2008, 04:31 AM
Vincent Hill and Mr. McGee which had committed to Minnesota and which were 4 star recruits could not get in academically. Really hurts Minnesota's class as they expected both to come in and fill up holes.

WildBill
07-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Vincent Hill and Mr. McGee which had committed to Minnesota and which were 4 star recruits could not get in academically. Really hurts Minnesota's class as they expected both to come in and fill up holes.

McGee was only a 3 star,but Hill does hurt

bisonhusker
07-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Wow....Wildbill is saying that he was "Only a three star."

Dude, your team sucks and 3 star players are great. You need all the help you can get to compete in the Big Ten. Don't go bigtime and pretend that 3 star kids don't help U of M's program. Stop drinking the Brewster juice, you aren't U of Florida.

WildBill
07-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Wow....Wildbill is saying that he was "Only a three star."

Dude, your team sucks and 3 star players are great. You need all the help you can get to compete in the Big Ten. Don't go bigtime and pretend that 3 star kids don't help U of M's program. Stop drinking the Brewster juice, you aren't U of Florida.

Settle down,junior. Sheesh. I was merely saying that Mcgee was a 3 star,not a 4 and that losing Hill was more of a blow. Damn.

SirHinn
08-27-2008, 02:11 AM
The Gophers star QB recruit is currently ineligible. If he stays that way, it completely kills Brewster's recruiting class. He was by far their best recruit.

met1990
08-27-2008, 12:50 PM
The Gophers star QB recruit is currently ineligible. If he stays that way, it completely kills Brewster's recruiting class. He was by far their best recruit.

Anyone know the actual story behind this one?

Bison Dan
08-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Anyone know the actual story behind this one?

Something about the ACT test he took - Which I don't understand - either you take it and do well enough or you take it and don't make the minimum requirements or you don't take it. What else is there?

met1990
08-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Something about the ACT test he took - Which I don't understand - either you take it and do well enough or you take it and don't make the minimum requirements or you don't take it. What else is there?

That's what I was thinking, so I figured there must be something else to the story.

Bryan
08-27-2008, 01:52 PM
he made too big of a jump on his ACT tests(14 to a 21). happens all the time that they get flagged. It's kind of unfair in that the kids are the ones who have to prove they didn't cheat or retake it.

Civil06
08-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah, that is unfair. It would be really hard to cheat on the ACT with all of the monitoring that is done these days. For his sake, I hope it was a legit 21 and he gets his chance.

bisonmike2
08-27-2008, 04:08 PM
he made too big of a jump on his ACT tests(14 to a 21). happens all the time that they get flagged. It's kind of unfair in that the kids are the ones who have to prove they didn't cheat or retake it.

a 14? don't you get a 16 just for showing up and putting your name on the test?

TransAmBison
08-27-2008, 05:22 PM
a 14? don't you get a 16 just for showing up and putting your name on the test?
Maybe he misspelled his name.

Bison bison
08-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Actually gray scored a 10, then a 12, then a 20.

The ACT flagged the score. gray then scored a 16 which was too low for the university.

bisonmike2
08-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Actually gray scored a 10, then a 12, then a 20.

The ACT flagged the score. gray then scored a 16 which was too low for the university.

Holy crap. Isn't it like $250 each time you take the act? Not to mention about 6-8 hours each time you take it.

UTH
08-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Holy crap. Isn't it like $250 each time you take the act? Not to mention about 6-8 hours each time you take it.

Yeah, really have to admire this sort desire and commitment...