PDA

View Full Version : Info on Bison opponent Wyoming

BisonNeil
07-18-2008, 07:33 PM
There has been some discussion about NDSU's first opponent Austin-Peay on another thread. Most Bison fans probably regard the first two opponents as weak and predict the outcome to be a blow out. That almost certainly won't be the case with NDSU's third opponent.

I thought some of you may be interested in NDSU's third opponent, Wyoming. Not only will the challenge be to keep legs under the players playing at 7200 ft, but WY appears to be much improved. The D appears to be solid again but question marks still exist for the O. John Fletcher, a Jr DL is on the Outland Trophy watch list and will be all the Bison OL can handle. Here is a write up on WY from a MWC preview:

Wyoming

OFFENSE: This unit really brought the team down last year, but 8 returning starters hope to cut the turnovers and mistakes down this year. QB Karsten Sween has a lot of competition for the job after a sophomore slump, but he may still have the reins. All of the line is back, so that should help the passing game. (BisonNeil note: the entire two deep OL is back according to Lindy's)

DEFENSE: Seven starters return from one of the best defenses statistically in the country in 2007, and if the offense helps just a bit this time around, this unit will carry the load. The line of John Fletcher, Mitch Unrein, and Fred Givens should dominate most O-lines in the MWC.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Here's another team replacing one go to guy for both punting and kicking in Billy Vinnedge. The spring practice showed there should be some competition for both jobs this season, and competition always makes players better.

COACHING: Joe Glenn is entering his sixth year at Wyoming, and he's the only real veteran head coach left in the MWC. His three national titles between D-II Northern Colorado and D-IAA Montana shows he knows how to coach, but the results at Wyoming have been poor. Expect him to step up and lead this team to a much-needed bowl game.

SCHEDULE: The Cowboys need to hit the ground running, with three home games to open the season. The first three road games are all very rough at BYU, New Mexico, and TCU. The November schedule is all winnable, except for the 11/8 out-of-conference game at Tennessee.

IMPACT/BREAKOUT PLAYER.... As good as the defensive line is, LB Ward Dobbs really is the centerpiece of the 3-4 defense. Look for Dobbs to jump into the national spotlight if Wyoming surprises.

IF EVERYTHING GOES WELL.... With such a good defense, this team can go as far as the offense can take it. Unfortunately, the glass ceiling is probably 9-3 and a third-place MWC finish. Still, that would be good for this program.

IF THINGS DON'T GO SO WELL.... The offense brings the team down again, leading to the likely firing of Coach Glenn. They could drop all the way to 3-9 and 1-7 in MWC play.

MAKE OR BREAK: I think it's clear from the above paragraphs that this team is relying on the offense and specifically the passing game to do something relevant this season. The home schedule is winnable, and there's the seven games needed for the bowl this program needs.

PROJECTED STANDINGS

TEAM CONFERENCE OVERALL
Utah 7-1 10-2
BYU 7-1 11-1
TCU 6-2 9-3
New Mexico 6-2 9-3
Wyoming 4-4 6-6
UNLV 3-5 5-7
Air Force 2-6 5-7
San Diego State 1-7 3-8
Colorado State 0-8 1-11

Full write up here:

http://southerncollegesports.com/fb_08_preview_mwc.html

This game is much more than just a passing interest for me. Besides the DC Mike Breske being an acquaintance of mine, we have a mutual friend, I think this game will be an opportunity for Bohl and Co. to build some depth. It is unlikely that any starter can go the distance effectively at 7200', so it will be interesting to see if there are more substitutions than this coaching staff is accustomed to doing. If this is the deepest roster Bohl has had in five years, I hope he feels comfortable using that depth to keep players fresh. This will be interesting to watch and see what develops.

Also, WY DL appears to be rugged and the strength of the football team, they don't give up many rushing yds. I think the OL is the strength of the Bison football team, IMO. Strength against strength games always intrigue me.

This is likely to be the biggest DIA/FBS challenge the Bison will have in their five tries, and I say that almost purely from the standpoint of the altitude. At a neutral site, nearer to our elevation, I think NDSU would match up very, very well athletically. However, WY is good at home because of the altitude. Teams that compete and beat them also come from higher altitudes and don't have as much of a transition. Flatlanders like Virginia, ~#15 in the country when they went to Laramie last year, usually get hosed.

Glad I am going to this one! With adequate conditioning and substitution, it has the potential to be a dandy.

bri-dog
07-18-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm a little concerned about the altitude too. Back when the Bison used to play UNC in Greeley, we always drove up from Denver to watch them play; I can't remember ever seeing us win there. We always seemed to play like crap there, and I don't think Greeley is even 5,000 ft. Hopefully things are different now.

We did manage to have fun at those games anyway, one year we took in my inflatable Budweiser "cooler couch" and set it up about 10 yards from the back of the end zone. Even got Tyrone Braxton to autograph it...:D

onbison09
07-18-2008, 10:39 PM
I think with the player's conditioning programs in the offseason it won't be too bad. Still an adjustment for sure but not too bad.

Bisonguy
07-18-2008, 10:52 PM
I think with the player's conditioning programs in the offseason it won't be too bad. Still an adjustment for sure but not too bad.

++

More of an adjustment than the southern 'heat', but conditioning will definitely help.

TheBisonator
07-18-2008, 10:53 PM
This will be an extremely entertaining, tight, close game.

Hopefully at the very least it'll be on DirecTV/The Mtn. and available at some local bars.

Bison101
07-18-2008, 11:07 PM
I believe that this is one of the two games this year that we lose.

(the other at Northern Iowa)

Chosen1s
07-19-2008, 03:27 AM
I predict a close win! I get the feeling that Wyo deep down will not take us seriously. It's a psychological thing, these bigger schools just feel we are inferier (spelling?). I am not over confident, I am just predicting a game like Minnesota 06' with a win for the Bison!

Bison53
07-19-2008, 06:50 AM
Glenn will not take the Bison lightly, he knows the Bison first hand!

Chosen1s
07-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Joe Glenn might not take us lightly, but I think there is a phychological effect of playing a "lesser" school. I can remember in HS playing teams we thought we shouldn't loose to because of size or whatever, and they would come out and play us though, and it kinda would take the wind out of the perveribal sail. On the surface these teams say they are not going to take us lightly, but I think they all do deep down below the surface. Just my .02, hope I'm right!http://www.protestwarrior.com/new_signs.php?sign=47

tjbison
07-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Bison Stampede the Cowgirls, they WILL be ready and IN SHAPE, 27-3!!:nod:

sambini
07-19-2008, 01:35 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BisonNeil
07-19-2008, 01:56 PM

27-3? Too funny...

While conditioning helps, I don't think it means much at higher altitudes. It is a totally different deal. When I was in my 20s I worked out a lot, ran a lot, I played basketball and volleyball in 6 leagues. I also hiked and backpacked in the mountains a lot. I was in excellent physical condition yet when I got to the higher elevations I sucked wind. Those of you who have hunted elk in WY and CO likely know what I mean. Compare that to hunting deer in MN or ND.

So, without subtituitions during the game, I think the Bison will blow in the 4th qtr. I think this will have to be a well-coached game from that standpoint. If the coaches don't play a lot of players we will be in trouble at the end of the game, IMO.

Scooter1
07-19-2008, 02:02 PM
I don't see this as a huge win for the Bison. This will be a tough game. Bison will win by 7 if they play well.

By huge win, I mean margin of victory.

bigskybears
07-19-2008, 02:34 PM

LMAO! I admire your spirit, but I agree with Bisonniel, it's too funny! Do you follow college football much?

sambini
07-19-2008, 03:09 PM
This will be a tough game. No blowout here. We have to play well and mistake free to win imho.

BisoninNWMN
07-19-2008, 06:14 PM
With adequate subs thruout the game I don't think the altitude will be a problem.....but it could be if we don't sub. We will try to run them into the ground and I suspect Wyo will stack the line with 8 or 9 in the box. If we can keep the defense "honest" our play-action pass could be real effective. I think our defense will hold their own and probably shut down any running game they have. Wyo will pass a lot in this game. If we run for over 250, we have a chance.....over 300-350 we definetly win. My 2$

Herd
07-19-2008, 07:06 PM
You watch, all the Bison will talk about before the WY game is run, run, run. We'll run, run, run against AP. We'll run, run, run against CCSU. Then against WY, we will pass, pass, pass . . . at least 50:50 in that game, a surprise attach. I can already see the strategy for the first 3 games on the board, breaking out the passing game for WY, and catching them by surprise.

This is a very capable passing team with veterans at every position, we just don't have to use the passing game to beat some opponents. If Steve Walker was still in the fold, it would be a 70% completion game for the Bison (24 of 30) and I'd like our chances. Is Mertens capable of this type of command with the passing game? If he is, we will give WY all they want, and possibly win.

Bisonguy
07-19-2008, 08:14 PM
You watch, all the Bison will talk about before the WY game is run, run, run. We'll run, run, run against AP. We'll run, run, run against CCSU. Then against WY, we will pass, pass, pass . . . at least 50:50 in that game, a surprise attach. I can already see the strategy for the first 3 games on the board, breaking out the passing game for WY, and catching them by surprise.

This is a very capable passing team with veterans at every position, we just don't have to use the passing game to beat some opponents. If Steve Walker was still in the fold, it would be a 70% completion game for the Bison (24 of 30) and I'd like our chances. Is Mertens capable of this type of command with the passing game? If he is, we will give WY all they want, and possibly win.

Shhhh......don't disclose the full gameplan. I see the game going down much like the CMU game, albeit with a closer final score.

BisonNeil
07-19-2008, 08:24 PM

I doubt the passing game will have much rhytm if we only run the first two games, IMO.

Jdubs21
07-20-2008, 01:49 AM
We also were saying the same thing about CMU last year, We will beat wyo by 17, our defense will score twice, and our rushing game controls the clock and puts a couple scores up as well, 31-14 Bison

BisonNeil
07-20-2008, 02:17 PM
We also were saying the same thing about CMU last year, We will beat wyo by 17, our defense will score twice, and our rushing game controls the clock and puts a couple scores up as well, 31-14 Bison

With a new untested QB, I don't think 31 pts is realistic. And predicting a blow out is, well, I won't say it.

Besides, the WY defense has been the strength of their team. According to their blog their D as #23 last year in FBS, #2 in 2006 and they think this years defense is better than either of those.

http://www.wyoming.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2159&tid=115874664&mid=115874664&sid=896&style=2

The quesiton is whether or not they can score a lot of points against our D. They apparently have the 2nd best NFL RB prospect going into the season and their OL is supposedly much improved. But, our D I think is the strength of our team and should be reminiscent of 2006.

I see a slug fest. This is not a Walker and Co. offensive team that went 3-1 against FBS, and it is at 7200 ft, a number we all should keep in mind.

BisonNeil
07-20-2008, 03:06 PM

Of course Jdub, you are getting some love elsewhere with NDSU mentioned as one of the top ten prospects for upsetting a FBS team:

http://inthebleachers.net/college-football-news/predicting-the-fcs-upsets-part-3/

#3 North Dakota State at Wyoming (September 13th)

After being one of about seventeen people on the East Coast to watch Wyoming dismantle Virginia to begin the 2007 season I was thoroughly convinced on Joe Glenn’s ability to lead the Pokes to a winning season, and after a 4-1 start my suspicions seemed to be confirmed. Yet it was not to be, as Wyoming went on the drop six of their last seven including and embarrassing 50-0 crushing at the hands of Utah. The prospect of watching his team bludgeoned on the field offended Glenn so much that he flipped the bird to Utah head coach Kyle Wittingham during the contest, an act which this blogger eagerly applauded. Still, Wyoming’s downfall in 2007 went largely unnoticed, as the Pokes struggled offensively down the stretch en route to being out-gained by more than 80 yards per game in conference play. Quarterback Karstan Sween was woefully inconsistent, tossing 17 picks to just 12 touchdowns, and the team sputtered under a -12 turnover margin. They do get 14 starters back in 2007 including an explosive running back tandem in Devin Moore and Wynel Seldon, as well as an offensive line which returns its entire two-deep. Defensively Wyoming figures to be strong once again in 2007, although the Pokes will have to deal with the loss of two top flight corners in Michael Medina and Julius Stinson. With so much attention focused on North Dakota State’s running game, Wyoming’s inexperienced cornerbacks could struggle against the experienced and talented NDST receiving corps.

North Dakota State was in a transition state from Division II to the FCS last year and the program wasn’t even eligible for the playoffs. That was probably a good thing for numerous teams throughout the FCS, as the Bison only cruised their way to ten consecutive wins before losing a close game to rival South Dakota State to finish out the year. While all the team’s featured in our countdown are coming off of winning seasons, what separates North Dakota State from virtually every other FCS program in the country was the team’s ability to win two games against FBS competition in 2007, a feat which I believe was never before accomplished since the classifications were established (if I’m wrong on this one, let me know.) North Dakota State’s 27-21 win over Minnesota was well documented by the world wide leader, but an equally, if not even more impressive win came in week three when the Bison shellacked bowl bound Central Michigan 44-14, in the process holding the potent Chippewas offense to 150 yards and sixteen points below their yearly average. North Dakota State spent six weeks as the top ranked FCS team in 2007, and while they lose quarterback Steve Walker to graduation they do return their top skill position players, including one of the best running backs in the FCS in Tyler Roehl (1431 yards, 21 TD last year.) A solid receiving corps returns all the leading pass catchers from last season, including All-American candidate Kole Heckendorf. Defensively they will be adjusting to life after linebacker Joe Mays, but there is a veteran enough presence to keep the team in games and to let the offense go to work.

This is the one all the FCS fans have circled. It’s not that Wyoming is a bad team, it’s just that North Dakota State looked so dominant in wins over bowl-bound Central Michigan and Big Ten member Minnesota last season that they’ve built a reputation of being able to beat FBS teams. While this could work against them against Wyoming (especially considering Glenn’s background as a NAIA, D-II, and FCS coach) it remains to be seen whether Karstan Sween has furthered his development enough to overcome the inconsistency and turnovers which stalled Wyoming’s offense last season (-12 in 2007.) North Dakota State is a veteran team with senior leadership, and considering the talent level even a solid defense like Wyoming’s could struggle if kept on the field too long. North Dakota State’s potent offense and penchant for upsets make this my third most likely FCS upset of 2008, especially considering continued questions of the productivity of Wyoming’s offense.

Cal Poly over San Diego State is the #1 FCS over FBS pick on this blog, you can get all four parts of the story from this link:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/31808-college-football-the-most-likely-fcs-over-fbs-upset-of-2008

Enjoy Jdubs!

Jdubs21
07-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Haha nice....i dont think i am being unreasonable with my prediction, can anyone find the CMU thread last year and look at our predictions on that? Honestly I dont think Wyo's offense is going to be able to do much against our defense...look at my prediction i said defense scores 14 of our points and giving our offense 2 td's and a feild goal....with our running game that is proabably snubbing them some i think, and well their defense is gonna be so tired after pounding the ball down their throats its only gonna open up the passing game for mertens

GOB1SON
07-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Analysis of the Cowboys from ESPN

BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS

Grading the Cowboys
Unit Grade
Offense C
Special teams C-
Defense B
Intangibles C

The Cowboys are a tough team to figure. A year ago they appeared to be on the upswing, but after collapsing at the end of the season, uncertainty abounds. Glenn is a glass-half-full kind of guy and viewed through that prism, there is reason to believe the Cowboys can regain their footing and contend for a bowl berth.

The return of the entire offensive line and the presence of Moore give the offense a chance to be much improved, if it gets consistent play at quarterback. Defensively, the front seven should be very strong, and a solid group of safeties should help cover the cornerbacks as they grow on the job.

Even under the best of scenarios Wyoming likely won't have much margin for error, which makes special teams play particularly worrisome.

One thing that works in Wyoming's favor is its schedule, which includes seven home games. With the exception of the Oct. 11 game against Utah, Wyoming should be favored to win each of its home games. Of course road games at BYU, New Mexico, TCU and Tennessee won't be easy. The Cowboys most winnable road game -- at UNLV -- comes five days after the game in Knoxville.

If someone emerges from the trio of Sween, Crum and Hetrick at quarterback, it's not unreasonable to think Wyoming can win seven games. Whether any of the quarterbacks are capable of playing at the requisite level will likely determine the team's fate.

tjbison
07-21-2008, 09:39 PM
27-3? Too funny...

While conditioning helps, I don't think it means much at higher altitudes. It is a totally different deal. When I was in my 20s I worked out a lot, ran a lot, I played basketball and volleyball in 6 leagues. I also hiked and backpacked in the mountains a lot. I was in excellent physical condition yet when I got to the higher elevations I sucked wind. Those of you who have hunted elk in WY and CO likely know what I mean. Compare that to hunting deer in MN or ND.

So, without subtituitions during the game, I think the Bison will blow in the 4th qtr. I think this will have to be a well-coached game from that standpoint. If the coaches don't play a lot of players we will be in trouble at the end of the game, IMO.

Never thought a fellow bison fan could be so un-optimistic!!:banghead:, whats wrong with 27-3?? As stated earlier remember the CMU game we were supposed to get pounded in that one also, but as it turned out......... well you know;)

X-Factor
07-21-2008, 10:43 PM
27-3? Too funny...

without substitutions.....?

Considering the depth we have I doubt that will be a problem. We have tons of talented depth at corners, WR, RB, and a decent two deep at DL. Those are the big problem areas for not running out of gas in the 4th.

With a new untested QB, I don't think 31 pts is realistic. And predicting a blow out is, well, I won't say it.

.....This is not a Walker and Co. offensive team that went 3-1 against FBS, and it is at 7200 ft, a number we all should keep in mind.

I can see it now, the constant comparisons to Walker are just never going to end. He was a great quarterback and arguably the best or at the very least one of the best NDSU has ever seen. That is not to say we should expect anything less from Mertens. He is a redshirt Junior for heavens sake that has been working with the same offense, same group of receivers, same QB coach, head coach, and school since he came to NDSU in '05. Not to mention he had an outstanding prep career and possesses some tangibles that Walker just didn't have. I believe what Bison fans will soon find out is that talented QB's like Walker, Sanders, etc are not nearly as rare as some are making them out to be. Especially for programs like what we have. IMO those guys are more the rule rather than the exception!

I expect nothing less than a win in Laramie, new "untested" QB or not. If it doesn't happen it doesn't happen and I'm not going to be making excuses because I am sure the Pokes are very tough up there @7200, but this is one LOADED team and if they are expecting anything less than a slugfest this will turn into CMU round II.

Jdubs21
07-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Never thought a fellow bison fan could be so un-optimistic!!:banghead:, whats wrong with 27-3?? As stated earlier remember the CMU game we were supposed to get pounded in that one also, but as it turned out......... well you know;)

Im thinkin the same way u are tjbison haha

BisoninNWMN
07-21-2008, 11:10 PM
X-Factor: Good call...couldn't have said it better myself!!:D :D

BisonNeil
07-22-2008, 02:19 AM
without substitutions.....?

Considering the depth we have I doubt that will be a problem. We have tons of talented depth at corners, WR, RB, and a decent two deep at DL. Those are the big problem areas for not running out of gas in the 4th.

I can see it now, the constant comparisons to Walker are just never going to end. He was a great quarterback and arguably the best or at the very least one of the best NDSU has ever seen. That is not to say we should expect anything less from Mertens. He is a redshirt Junior for heavens sake that has been working with the same offense, same group of receivers, same QB coach, head coach, and school since he came to NDSU in '05. Not to mention he had an outstanding prep career and possesses some tangibles that Walker just didn't have. I believe what Bison fans will soon find out is that talented QB's like Walker, Sanders, etc are not nearly as rare as some are making them out to be. Especially for programs like what we have. IMO those guys are more the rule rather than the exception!

I expect nothing less than a win in Laramie, new "untested" QB or not. If it doesn't happen it doesn't happen and I'm not going to be making excuses because I am sure the Pokes are very tough up there @7200, but this is one LOADED team and if they are expecting anything less than a slugfest this will turn into CMU round II.

I agree NDSU is loaded, but we just haven't seen a lot of players play in games, even when the game is decided. We, as fans, haven't seen a lot of players play in any game since Bohl arrived, so depth doesn't matter if they never see the field.

Now, with that said if there is an unbelievable ton of talent that has the experience level necessary for the coaching staff to have faith they can play when on the field, then we may see something in 2008 what we have never seen before, a two-deep roster that actually sees the field at nearly every position. I acknowledge that this could happen and if it does, than I think this team will beat WY, just not by a huge margin.

Think about how many players really played quality minutes last year, and the Bison had depth, maybe not as much, but they had it. Dallas substituted for Lardinois AND Compton. Gratzek came in for Brown. Tyler played some behind Mays but Anderson and other OLB played very sparingly behind Humber and Maresh. Of course, our DBs were thin due to injury (which is not the case this year).

On the OL only Septak and Foster saw quality snaps, the OT took nearly every snap in 11 games. Smith and Brown saw spot duty at TE (mostly in 2 TE formations) and Magic saw some WR action with Schultenhover and Williams getting a few snaps occasionally, mostly in the second half of the season after Magic got hurt (although Jordan had a TD thing going for a while but with formations thrown in to take advantage of his height in the red zone). Paschall and Blincoe saw quality time at RB. Mertens, unfortunately, saw his only significant action in his career in one game agains MVS.

I personally think the same kind of substitution patterns won't cut it at 7200 ft. I think for the Bison to do what you think they can do to an FBS team that is conditioned to play at that altitude, nearly every position has got to get significant blows throughout the game to have the legs to play deep into the fourth quarter. That is my opinion, sorry it doesn't agree with the prognications of a blowout.

I personally see this as a slugfest between two stout defenses, both excellent against the run. The QB who shows up and makes some key throws (and do get me wrong, I think Mertens is the likely guy here, not the interception machine WY calls a QB) will be the team that wins, but it won't be a blow out.

And I don't buy CMU comparisons. The MAC is a finesse league, there are no thugs, no physical type of play among any of the teams. There are teams that play physical in the MWC and WY is one of them. We got CMU because we pounded the life out of them, I don't see that happening with a WY team that has historically run the ball and has a physical front 7 on D that excels in stuffing the run. Two running teams, two Ds that stuff the run, does this sound like blow out potential? Not to me, it sounds like a knock down, bloody your nose street brawl, one that will take stamina. Altitude killed Virginia last year (#15 at the time and they finished in the top 25) and has killed others as well, that is why WY is so tough at home.

Again, one lone opinion in the sea of blow out predictions. My bad.

imported_Bisongold
07-22-2008, 03:07 AM
We'll pass more.

Bison_Pride
07-23-2008, 08:56 AM
If the game were at any other stadium, I don't think I'd be worried about the altitude and conditioning, but Wyoming's War Memorial Stadium has the highest elevation of any college in the country. Coach Bohl isn't going to get fancy, he's going to rotate the RB's and the OL and try to ram it down their throats. That's Bison football, smash mouth style. Control the ball, keep their defense on the field, and the Bison D off of it. The Cowboys have BYU the following week, and seeing a FCS team on the schedule might make them think they have the week off. The keys are going to be turnovers and preventing big plays on defense. This ain't rocket surgery.

bigskybears
07-23-2008, 04:28 PM
I don't think the altitude will have too much to do with the game. It will come down to talent. Plain and simple. I just don't see you guys winning this game, the Cowboys are a better team then you've seen at this level. CMU and Minn weren't even close to what the Cowboys are. Joe Glenn is a great coach and won't let the Cowboys over look anyone. He knows the Bison very well. I see the game going something like Wyo-28, NDSU 7.

BTW - I'll be at the game as UNC has a bye. I'll buy my ticket on Monday.

MN_BISON
07-23-2008, 04:36 PM
I don't think the altitude will have too much to do with the game. It will come down to talent. Plain and simple. I just don't see you guys winning this game, the Cowboys are a better team then you've seen at this level. CMU and Minn weren't even close to what the Cowboys are. Joe Glenn is a great coach and won't let the Cowboys over look anyone. He knows the Bison very well. I see the game going something like Wyo-28, NDSU 7.

And you base this on what? Hope to see you at the game!

bigskybears
07-23-2008, 05:19 PM
And you base this on what? Hope to see you at the game!

I saw plenty of Wyo games last year, some Minn games and 2 CMU games - Just my observation.

bisonmike2
07-23-2008, 05:35 PM
I saw plenty of Wyo games last year, some Minn games and 2 CMU games - Just my observation.

So a team that finished 2-6 in their conference, lost 50-0 against Utah and failed to make a bowl game was better than the two time defending MAC champion who came within 4 points of defeating a very good Purdue team in the Motor City Bowl? You need to come down out of that elevation and give your brain some oxygen. I'm not gauranteeing that NDSU will beat Wyoming, but they won't be the best FBS team they've ever faced.

EmeraldCityBison
07-23-2008, 05:36 PM

Did you see any NDSU games last year?

X-Factor
07-23-2008, 05:40 PM

So what would the score be if the Bison played the bears this season? I can't imagine you guys would get a whole lot closer than the 44-0 2005 game.

tjbison
07-23-2008, 05:43 PM

Are you serious???? when did they become so great:confused:

Scooter1
07-23-2008, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the opinion and taking the time give a reason why you think this way. If everyone posted that we were going to win, what fun would that be?

Now for the counterpoint.....

"Jane, you ignorant Slut........."

UTH
07-23-2008, 05:58 PM
I hope that BSB is 'mostly' right with his point that the Cowboys will be the most talented and best team that we'll see so far at 'this level'. The widely accepted fact that NDSU seeks out the best competition available and always plays to win is / should be a great source of pride for us all.

Having said that, there should be no reason to say that this game will be unwinnable. What an awesome road trip this will be!!!

MN_BISON
07-23-2008, 06:08 PM

Well thanks for clearing that up bigsky, look forward to seeing you in Laramie. I think you give too much credit to coach Glenn for knowing the Bison, maybe if Rocky or Bob were still coaching, but in case you haven't noticed there is a new sheriff in town and his name is Craig Bohl. Now if the Bison show up and bring back the veer, then you may be on to something.

http://i13.tinypic.com/82d76ut.png
This must be how they signal first down in Wyoming.

bigskybears
07-23-2008, 06:50 PM
I think if you were to play this game in November, you would win. The Cowboys turn to Cowgirls about that time of year.

I am just nutruel on this game, I really don't care who wins (Although I am leaning towards Joe's team).

Bison Dan
07-23-2008, 06:57 PM

And you know this how - by watching some fb games on TV? Pretty hard to judge talent without MN or CM playing someone that WY has played. How about this:

WY played Ohio U and won 34-33
Bison played CM (champs)and won 44-14

Now lets compare Ohio and CM - they didn't play each other last year but they had 5 common opponents.

CM W 52-31 Toledo
Ohio U L 43-40 Toledo

CM W 41-32 Kent State
Ohio U L 41-32 Kent State

CM W 35-10 Miami
Ohio U W 38-29 Miami

CM W 35-32 Arkron
Ohio U L 48-37 Arkron

CM L 45-48 E. Michigan
Ohio U W 48-42 E. Michigan

So you see I think your full of crap on your analysis of the game.

Bison bison
07-23-2008, 07:15 PM
sagarin also would disagree.

bigskybears
07-23-2008, 08:43 PM
And you know this how - by watching some fb games on TV? Pretty hard to judge talent without MN or CM playing someone that WY has played. How about this:

WY played Ohio U and won 34-33
Bison played CM (champs)and won 44-14

Now lets compare Ohio and CM - they didn't play each other last year but they had 5 common opponents.

CM W 52-31 Toledo
Ohio U L 43-40 Toledo

CM W 41-32 Kent State
Ohio U L 41-32 Kent State

CM W 35-10 Miami
Ohio U W 38-29 Miami

CM W 35-32 Arkron
Ohio U L 48-37 Arkron

CM L 45-48 E. Michigan
Ohio U W 48-42 E. Michigan

So you see I think your full of crap on your analysis of the game.

Calm down man. I am just a guy who's got an opinion. It doesn't mean anything until the game anyways. Just because I don't think your going to win doesn't mean you have to get bent.

Bison Dan
07-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Calm down man. I am just a guy who's got an opinion. It doesn't mean anything until the game anyways. Just because I don't think your going to win doesn't mean you have to get bent.

I don't know if we're going to win either but my point is you said you've seen WY play and also have watched CM & MN and WY is head and shoulders better??? I don't know how anyone can come to that conclusion. Be honest you like Joe Glenn and want him to win - that's about it.

bigskybears
07-23-2008, 09:02 PM
I don't know if we're going to win either but my point is you said you've seen WY play and also have watched CM & MN and WY is head and shoulders better??? I don't know how anyone can come to that conclusion. Be honest you like Joe Glenn and want him to win - that's about it.

I am basing this on what I watched on TV. Is that so wrong? I can honestly care less who wins the game. I am going because I love college football and I like both teams. I'll be a bit happier though if Joe does come away with a win.

westnodak93bison
07-23-2008, 09:43 PM
for the sake of comparison, 2007 final Sagarin Ratings
NDSU 71, CMU 82, WY 85, MN 123

WYOBISONMAN
07-25-2008, 04:55 AM
Bigsky is right though......every year the Cowboys star out tougher than hell. Just like last year when they thumped Virginia at Laramie. But then, they totally collapse during the mid to late season. It is very strange.

By the way, that Joe Glenn picture is from last year when he flipped Utah off at Utah. What happened, it was the second half, Utah was up by like a gazillion points......and Utah decided to run the score up more on the Cowboys......so Glenn stepped out on the field and shot them 1/2 of a peace sign. Probably not to cool to do that, but understandable given the circumstances. I suspect that history will make this game with Utah pretty interesting....and it is in Laramie.

OldBison
07-25-2008, 06:20 PM

If you haven't already noticed, your opinion is only worth something if it agrees with all of the other homers who visit this site. If you don't weary rose-colored glasses while you type, than you will be dealt with harshly by the masses. Surely you knew that before you suggested the Bison could possibly lose a game, my god man, what were you thinking? :banghead:

bigskybears
07-25-2008, 06:29 PM
If you haven't already noticed, your opinion is only worth something if it agrees with all of the other homers who visit this site. If you don't weary rose-colored glasses while you type, than you will be dealt with harshly by the masses. Surely you knew that before you suggested the Bison could possibly lose a game, my god man, what were you thinking? :banghead:

LOL. I'll keep this in mind.

Bison Dan
07-25-2008, 06:32 PM

Have you read all of his posts? He was saying that WY had superior talent and would have easily beaten CM and MN last year. Maybe you need to reread my previous post on teams in common. I don't give a rats ass who has an opinion or what it is but when you start giving reasons for your opinion you better be able to back it up. He couldn't. A good case could be made that both CM and MN would have beaten WY last year. The WY game will be a hard game to win no question and we are surely the underdog - I don't think any Bison fan doubts that.

GradBison
07-25-2008, 06:42 PM

Something has to go seriously wrong for the Bison to lose by that margin, and I mean SERIOUSLY wrong. It's going to be a tough game, but no way the Bison lose by anything close to that score. No way.

bigskybears
07-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Have you read all of his posts? He was saying that WY had superior talent and would have easily beaten CM and MN last year. Maybe you need to reread my previous post on teams in common. I don't give a rats ass who has an opinion or what it is but when you start giving reasons for your opinion you better be able to back it up. He couldn't. A good case could be made that both CM and MN would have beaten WY last year. The WY game will be a hard game to win no question and we are surely the underdog - I don't think any Bison fan doubts that.

I stated my opinion based on the games I watched on TV. Also, because, as I have stated and Wyobisonman has stated, Wyoming plays very well in September and then they tailspin in November. A perfect example of that is the Virginia game. It wasn't even close - Wyo knocked them around all day. They probably would have lost UVA game if they played in November. I believe I even stated that if you were playing this game in November, I would give you guys the edge. I don't care about sagarin ratings or anything like that. I'll make my judgement based on what I see. What's wrong with that?

bisonmike2
07-25-2008, 06:55 PM
This thread kinda turned into a pissing match. I don't know why but I'm picturing Brick Tamland yelling "Loud noises!"

4mcruenomore
07-26-2008, 03:21 AM
I had to re-read some of this thread, there is seriously a guy from UNC on here talking smalk??? For real? I thought we beat them 44-0 last time we played, I wouldn't be on any message board even after all these years if it was me.

bigskybears
07-26-2008, 05:56 AM
I had to re-read some of this thread, there is seriously a guy from UNC on here talking smalk??? For real? I thought we beat them 44-0 last time we played, I wouldn't be on any message board even after all these years if it was me.

Just because I think you'll lose, it's called smack?

BisonNeil
07-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Just because I think you'll lose, it's called smack?

Yup! Tough deal, I know.

John2010
07-31-2008, 05:03 AM
Ok, i respect the whole conditioning issue you guys bring up...cause for many teams that can be an issue, specially an undisciplined team like the bison (yes, i said our team has discipline issues on the field) can have serious issues, but it is less of a deal than you make it out to be. I have wrestled in Denver and let me tell you, wrestling for 6 minutes takes more out of you than an entire football game and i was fine for probably 5 outta 6 matches.
These are college athletes who train basically year round, i see no reason NDSU should not throw down on wyoming the same way they did to the best team they played LAST season, Central Michigan

TransAmBison
07-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Ok, i respect the whole conditioning issue you guys bring up...cause for many teams that can be an issue, specially an undisciplined team like the bison (yes, i said our team has discipline issues on the field) can have serious issues, but it is less of a deal than you make it out to be. I have wrestled in Denver and let me tell you, wrestling for 6 minutes takes more out of you than an entire football game and i was fine for probably 5 outta 6 matches.
These are college athletes who train basically year round, i see no reason NDSU should not throw down on wyoming the same way they did to the best team they played LAST season, Central Michigan
????????????????????????????????You lost me there bud? We had a few personal foul calls last year, but not enough to say discipline issues on the field. Better back up opinions like that. Not going to even touch the wrestling comment.

westnodak93bison
07-31-2008, 01:11 PM
imho, this will be a fairly even match up so you have to give the home team a slight edge. I'd say whom ever gets a break or bounce here or there will prevail. I think the schedule favors the Bison. They have Airforce the week before and all mighty BYU the week after.

GOB1SON
07-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Wyoming is going to be tough. Joe Glenn is NOT going to take NDSU lightly. He is a good coach and after the way the season ended last year, he is in HOT water in Laramie. If they lose to NDSU, he might be gone that week, so he will have his guys ready to play.

Do not compare Wyoming to CMU or MN. Different game. Tough defense and they are not going to finese you on offense.

If we can attack the middle of the field with the running game (and we can) than we can win. If we can get a 100-150 yds between the tackles, eat up the clock in the high elevation and score around 24-28 points, then we should be celebrating at the Cowboy Bar later that night!

mgbison
07-31-2008, 04:21 PM
i disagree on running the ball between the tackles against wyoming. It'll be the game where we get to see what Mertens is made of. I hope the play calling that game is similar to what was called in the ball state game. However, i trust our coaches and they seem to do a good job making adustments to whatever the defense is giving.

One other note. was checking out the Wyoming board. I'd don't seem to understand how they think there going to be so good without a qback. at least the glass is half full in laramie.

wyoforlife
08-03-2008, 08:11 AM
This will probably be the one and only time that I will post on here, but I just couldn't take it anymore. I am glad that most of you are confident that the Bison will win, that should be the hope of every good fan.

Pulling off a win in Laramie is difficult, especially the blow outs that some on here are predicting.

We have three very capable QB's. Sween, who has invaluable starting experience. Hetrick, who is the most athletic QB on the team. And Crum who is a four star JUCO transfer.

Good luck, I hope to see some of your fans at the game.

Gully
08-03-2008, 02:51 PM
This will probably be the one and only time that I will post on here, but I just couldn't take it anymore. I am glad that most of you are confident that the Bison will win, that should be the hope of every good fan.

Pulling off a win in Laramie is difficult, especially the blow outs that some on here are predicting.

We have three very capable QB's. Sween, who has invaluable starting experience. Hetrick, who is the most athletic QB on the team. And Crum who is a four star JUCO transfer.

I agree. While I certainly think NDSU has a shot, we'll have to play very well, win the turnover battle, and have the lead mid-way through the 3rd quarter. If we do that we'll negate the altitude issue and be able to run the clock out to earn the win.

I do not forsee a blowout by either team. With the way we played last year again Central Michigan and Minnesota, we're not going to get blown out by Wyoming, especially because our defense should be even better this year. At the same time, I don't see us being able to score enough against Wyoming to run away with the game either.

BisonNeil
08-03-2008, 03:52 PM

I was wondering how long it would take for a WY fan to pick up on all the blowout crap being spewed on this site. I agree with you, and thanks for the post.

BisonNeil
08-03-2008, 04:39 PM

You probably have already read this, but I post it here for the Bison fans. This is from a blog and the guy is discussing each MWC team and he makes a prediction for the team's season, in this case, WY. I don't agree with this guy, obviously:

Prediction: The non-conference slate features 3 home games, but only one of them is a sure victory (North Dakota State). The other two feature MAC teams (Ohio and Bowling Green). Wyoming should take at least one of those games, and could possibly sweep them both.

Bold prediction, that we are a sure victory. I doubt that very much. The whole post can be found here:

http://leftyloon.blogspot.com/

X-Factor
08-03-2008, 05:17 PM
anyone who says we are weaker than a MAC team is uneducated at best. I don't think there are too many teams in college football that could claim us as a "sure victory", Wyoming certainly not even being close to that category.

NDSUstudent
08-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Considering the way both teams play it is going to be a close game. Both teams will want to run the ball and both teams have defenses that excel at shutting the run down.

tjbison
08-03-2008, 06:07 PM
What a moron, good reason why he is the "leftyLOON, blog.

if we are a for sure win then the MAC teams should get pounded, but seriously they are more on par with Wyoming as far as quality.

finishing the 2007 the Sagarin rankings:

Wyoming - 85
Ohio - 114
Bowling Green - 99
NDSU - 71

The MAC as a conference was ranked 14th, Followed behind by the Gateway (no NDSU or SDSU) at 15th, and the Great West at 16th (with NDSU and SDSU), and now with us and SDSU in the MVFC (formerly known as the Gateway for those that missed that portion of the off season:p, yeah CA i'm talking to you) it will most likely be higher than the MAC for a conference. Numbers don't lie and every single power poll WILL HAVE US RANKED HIGHER than y-oming, Ohio, and Bowling Green, sorry to say this cowboys, but Wyoming will be the underdog on paper in this "for sure win"

Bisonguy
08-03-2008, 11:18 PM
What a moron, good reason why he is the "leftyLOON, blog.

if we are a for sure win then the MAC teams should get pounded, but seriously they are more on par with Wyoming as far as quality.

finishing the 2007 the Sagarin rankings:

Wyoming - 85
Ohio - 114
Bowling Green - 99
NDSU - 71

The MAC as a conference was ranked 14th, Followed behind by the Gateway (no NDSU or SDSU) at 15th, and the Great West at 16th (with NDSU and SDSU), and now with us and SDSU in the MVFC (formerly known as the Gateway for those that missed that portion of the off season:p, yeah CA i'm talking to you) it will most likely be higher than the MAC for a conference. Numbers don't lie and every single power poll WILL HAVE US RANKED HIGHER than y-oming, Ohio, and Bowling Green, sorry to say this cowboys, but Wyoming will be the underdog on paper in this "for sure win"

I wouldn't get too caught up in Sagarin ratings between FCS and FBS teams. I'd say the 14 spots between NDSU and Wyoming in 2007 are negligible.

Now, the fact that NDSU took the MAC champs to the woodshed speaks volumes about the accuracy, or rather lack of, research this blogger did for his post.

westnodak93bison
08-04-2008, 01:02 PM
when using Sagarin to predict scores do you take the differnce and give the home team 3 points? In this case 71-85+3 would have the Bison favored by
14? That was the end of last year.

Hammersmith
08-04-2008, 01:45 PM
when using Sagarin to predict scores do you take the differnce and give the home team 3 points? In this case 71-85+3 would have the Bison favored by
14? That was the end of last year.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt07.htm?loc=interstitialskip

No, you use the category named Predictor and add 3 to the home team.

Final 2007:
71 North Dakota State 68.11
85 Wyoming 64.16 + 3.00 = 67.16

Predicted result: NDSU by just less than a point.

PREDICTOR is based purely on margin of victory. ELO-CHESS only cares about W's & L's. RATING combines the two. Jeff Sagarin only creates the ELO-CHESS statistic because the BCS demands it; he thinks it's pretty worthless.

Of course, the numbers mean almost nothing since it's based on last year's data.

westnodak93bison
08-04-2008, 02:07 PM
ok thanks, pretty much a push.

Bisonguy
08-04-2008, 10:12 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt07.htm?loc=interstitialskip

No, you use the category named Predictor and add 3 to the home team.

Final 2007:
71 North Dakota State 68.11
85 Wyoming 64.16 + 3.00 = 67.16

Predicted result: NDSU by just less than a point.

PREDICTOR is based purely on margin of victory. ELO-CHESS only cares about W's & L's. RATING combines the two. Jeff Sagarin only creates the ELO-CHESS statistic because the BCS demands it; he thinks it's pretty worthless.

Of course, the numbers mean almost nothing since it's based on last year's data.

Actually only need to add 2.58 for home field, like this:

NDSU 68.11
SDSU 64.82 +2.58= 67.4, NDSU by less than a point :hide:

NDSU 68.11
CMU 65.96 +2.58 = 68.54, CMU by less than a point :hide:

Guess that's why they actually play the games.

wyoforlife
08-05-2008, 05:32 PM
I was wondering how long it would take for a WY fan to pick up on all the blowout crap being spewed on this site. I agree with you, and thanks for the post.

You guys certainly have a great program, and I am sure you will achieve great things this year.

And you do have a shot, "any given Sunday" as they would say. Thats why we play the game right? I, on the otherhand think the Pokes will prevail, not just because they are my team, but because they are 10x better than they were last year. We return the entire O line, and have two veteran RBs, one projected by a popular publication to be the second best back in this years draft. Our front seven will be the best it has ever been, and by far the best in the MWC. We return most from out 22nd ranked defense last year, and they are expected to be even better. Sween is a very capable QB having 19 starts, but had an off year last year. Crum is a 4 star JUCO transfer that was brought in to challenge Sween for the job. Bob Cole was brought in in the off season to replace the ever unpopular Cockhill as the new OC. We will use multipule TE sets, and have both backs on the field. We have a highly reguarded TE in Orlando Arnold that is also a transfer that is expected to have an impact from the start. Our leading reciever from last year got his elegibility issues straightened out and will be back as well. This is the biggest veteran class Glenn has ever had, and by far the best.

Again I wish you guys the best of luck, and hope to see some of you at the game.

mgbison
08-06-2008, 05:54 AM
i think wyoming has to be the favorite in this game. Given the altitude and home field advantage. However, i don't think the talent level is all that different. When looking at division 1 football, i think its almost a three tier system. your 1st tier would be most of the BCS conference schools, then you have the rest of the FBS schools for tier 2, and then the fcs teams in tier 3. I would say the teams like Wyoming, Central Michigan, etc are a lot closer talent wise to NDSU, Montana, etc than to Texas, Florida or Penn State.

Best case scenerio for the bison would be Wyoming trying to pound the ball agaist us. It seems the only time we have trouble stopping the run is when qback is a double threat. So, if they want to use double tight end formations, I'm gonna feel a lot more comfortable about the outcome in this one.

how mobile is Wyoming's Q? As much as Wyoforlife likes Sween, his interception vs td's last year speaks for itself. That being said, i know nothing about Wyoming football so the best of luck to them next year (with the exception of sept. 13 Bison 24 Wyo 21) -that's my gut feeling

sambini
08-06-2008, 09:03 AM
You guys certainly have a great program, and I am sure you will achieve great things this year.

And you do have a shot, "any given Sunday" as they would say. Thats why we play the game right? I, on the otherhand think the Pokes will prevail, not just because they are my team, but because they are 10x better than they were last year. We return the entire O line, and have two veteran RBs, one projected by a popular publication to be the second best back in this years draft. Our front seven will be the best it has ever been, and by far the best in the MWC. We return most from out 22nd ranked defense last year, and they are expected to be even better. Sween is a very capable QB having 19 starts, but had an off year last year. Crum is a 4 star JUCO transfer that was brought in to challenge Sween for the job. Bob Cole was brought in in the off season to replace the ever unpopular Cockhill as the new OC. We will use multipule TE sets, and have both backs on the field. We have a highly reguarded TE in Orlando Arnold that is also a transfer that is expected to have an impact from the start. Our leading reciever from last year got his elegibility issues straightened out and will be back as well. This is the biggest veteran class Glenn has ever had, and by far the best.

Again I wish you guys the best of luck, and hope to see some of you at the game.
Welcome to the board. And thanks for your insight on the Cowboys+++