PDA

View Full Version : SDSU's Marty Kranz passes

JackJD
07-15-2008, 02:44 AM
2006 SDSU football team captain Marty Kranz passed away today. Details are just coming out ... an accident at the family farm but early reports suggest some sort of medical condition was involved.

Many Bison will remember Kranz, #50, a great guy and a great football player who was a key in development of the "don't quit" attitude that has been a hallmark of the Jackrabbits the past few seasons. Marty leaves a great wife.

This is a real tough one to understand for Jackrabbit fans.

CarringtonBison
07-15-2008, 03:11 AM
His family will be in our thoughts and prayers

bisonmike2
07-15-2008, 03:27 AM
This is shocking news. I've been good friends with one of Marty's older sister for almost 25 years. You won't meet a nicer family. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

56BISON73
07-15-2008, 04:02 AM
My deep condolences to the Kranz and SDSU family. PL

tony
07-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Terrible, awful news. I am so sorry.

90BISON
07-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Really sorry to hear that. Will be thinking of his family.

bisonmike2
07-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Here's an article on Marty from the Watertown Public Opinion (Marty's home town). Registratin regquired to read it on the link. Text below.

http://www.thepublicopinion.com/articles/2008/07/15/news/local_news/local03.txt

Former WHS, SDSU standout Kranz diesBy Jeremy Fugleberg, Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:40 AM CDT
Well-known high school and college football standout Martin ‘Marty’ Kranz died Monday.

A preliminary investigation showed that a medical condition caused Kranz to go unconscious and drive into the water, submerging both himself and the tractor he was driving.

Law enforcement and the county dive rescue team responded to a 3 p.m. call that said a tractor might be in a slough and a man was missing, according to a news release from the Codington County Sheriff’s Office.

The dive crew and law enforcement located the tractor and pulled both it and Kranz out of the water.

Kranz was transported by ambulance to a Watertown hospital where he was pronounced dead. He was 24.

Kranz married Watertown resident Stefanie Petersen last year, after graduating from South Dakota State University in Brookings. He was the son of Matt and Judy Kranz of Watertown and was a physical education and health instructor with the Deuel School District.

Part of a family with a long tradition of participating in Watertown High School sports, Marty was the first Kranz brother to continue playing sports at the college level.

In high school, Kranz was all-state in basketball and football and was the 2001 Chief of Arrows. He sparked an outstanding Arrow defense in an 18-10 victory at the 2001 state championship game against Eastern South Dakota Conference rival Brookings High School. He graduated in 2002.

“He was such a good role model for all our athletes and younger kids,” said Doug Schooley, current athletic director at WHS and coach of the 2001 football team.

A born leader, Schooley said Kranz touched his heart.

“I hoped somehow I had the wrong news,” he said. “He was the kind of guy that cared about everyone else.”

At South Dakota State University in Brookings, Kranz redshirted as a true freshman, but played in all 11 games for the Jacks in 2003, finishing second on the team in tackles in its final year in Division II. He also appeared in all 11 games as a sophomore in 2004. As part of the regular linebacker rotation as a junior in 2005, he was fourth on the squad in tackles. In 2006, he was one of four team captains.

He was a semifinalist for the 2006 Draddy Trophy, sponsored by the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame with the foundation naming him to the inaugural NFF National Honor Society, consisting of college football players maintaining a grade-point average of 3.2 or better.

“I have seen the two things I value the most in a person (in Marty) ... hard work ... and a man of character,” said John Stiegelmeier, SDSU’s head football coach, in a 2006 interview with The Collegian, SDSU’s student newspaper.

WRSDBison
07-15-2008, 08:45 PM
I had the opportunity to meet Marty one time. His wife Stephanie was cousins with a friend of mine. Marty and Steph came back for the occasion. He was an amazing guy. The type of guy who would give you the shirt off of his back whether he knew you or not.

The world lost a great one.

sambini
07-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Our Thoughts And Prayers Go To The Kranz Family.

bisonmike2
07-18-2008, 03:12 PM
F.Y.I - Marty's funeral is/was today @ 10 in Watertown.

SUILB#28
07-23-2008, 02:31 PM
I just heard the news...My thoughts and deepest condolences go out to the Kranz and SDSU family. Great competitor, but it appears a better man....

1bizon1
07-25-2008, 01:12 AM
At times like this I too can never find the right words. Be strong and remember to breathe is what I was told when I lost a loved one. It helped me and I hope that all will be better soon.