PDA

View Full Version : Collegehoopsnet.com Preaseason Preview #136 Oakland

NDSUstudent
07-09-2008, 04:08 AM
Every year Collegehoopsnet ranks every team in college hoops and does a full preview for the top 144. Oakland came in at #136 in their rankings and they are projected to finish #2 in the Summit.

Oakland Grizzlies

Overall Rank: #136

Conference Rank: #2 Summit League

2007-08: 17-14, 11-7, 3rd

2007-08 postseason: none

Oakland has slowly been putting together a quality program in the suburbs of Detroit, Michigan. Coach Greg Kampe is now in his 25th year leading the team and it is time for the Grizzlies to start consistently competing for championships in the Summit League. Possibly even more important than the influx of talent at Oakland is the fact that perennial Summit powerhouses Oral Roberts and IUPUI are expected to have down years.

Who's Out:

Seven of the top eight scorers from last year's 11-7 team are back. The depth up front will take a hit with the departures of Patrick McCloskey and Shane Lawal, both of whom started a handful of games. Seldom used B-Jay Walker and Peter Bunn will also not be returning, but the biggest loss is guard Brandon Cassise. The guard spent most the year coming off the bench where he was a dangerous scoring threat, mostly from beyond the arc.....(for more click on link)

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/200809-oakland-basketball-preview-136-42487

TheDoctor
07-21-2008, 03:05 PM
I guess I'll ask the obvious question then....who's projected #1? and.....aren't they ranked higher than #136.....and what are they ranked? ;)

Herd
07-21-2008, 10:38 PM
ORU would most likely be projected #1. I'm guessing the bison will be a projected #4 for the summit . . . following ORU, Oak, IPI. There most likely won't be anyone picking the Bison preseason to win the summit. Not when you can't win on the road as demonstrated last year. We'll need to change that bad habit of losing on the road, and we will.

Bisonguy
07-22-2008, 12:31 AM
B1SON- you have to photoshop a facemask on Joe's helmet- every time I see one of your posts it looks like Joe is the new Eagles stock car driver. :hide:

NDSUstudent
07-22-2008, 12:39 AM
ORU would most likely be projected #1. I'm guessing the bison will be a projected #4 for the summit . . . following ORU, Oak, IPI. There most likely won't be anyone picking the Bison preseason to win the summit. Not when you can't win on the road as demonstrated last year. We'll need to change that bad habit of losing on the road, and we will.

I don't think so....

Possibly even more important than the influx of talent at Oakland is the fact that perennial Summit powerhouses Oral Roberts and IUPUI are expected to have down years.

TheDoctor
07-22-2008, 02:47 AM
B1SON- you have to photoshop a facemask on Joe's helmet- every time I see one of your posts it looks like Joe is the new Eagles stock car driver. :hide:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bryan
07-22-2008, 04:38 AM
http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/new/2009-ncaa-tournament-projection-postdecision-update-42438

bisonhusker
07-22-2008, 01:52 PM
You take a 1st round draft pick away from a Summitt League team, and they are no longer the favorite to win the conference. ACC Teams (example) can recover, and almost expect players to leave early, but not at this level.

NDSU is arguably the favorite to win the league this year. Plus, we play at HOME in Sioux Falls, SD!!!

Herd
07-23-2008, 12:30 AM
The national media rankin the Summit will be showing respect to ORU, Oak, and IPI. The Summit Leaue coaches on the other hand, might rank NDSU up to possibly the 3rd or 2nd spot.

The question was, however, where NDSU would be ranked preseason. IMO, we won't be ranked higher than 4th. The national media will not have an inside track to rank us higher.

WRSDBison
07-23-2008, 04:36 AM

I hope for Danica Patrick's sake that he doesn't ever cut her off and she confronts him. Talk about an ass-whooping.

Back to the topic at hand. I agree, Hill going in the first round a year early HAS to kill IUPUI's chances for this season. And I wouldn't really call Sioux Falls home.

BisonBlogger
07-23-2008, 09:14 PM
I certainly see why basketball prognositcators would not consider ranking the Bison very high for the 2008-2009 season considering they were only 1 and 5 against the top three teams in the Summit last season.

Every team in the league will be tough to beat on the road again this season and its best for the players and fans to think this way rather then think they will automatically be at the top of the Summit League. Every team has added new players and has had a year to look at team and player tendencies. Every game will be a war.

First things first. Play like hell to win the regular season championship to guarantee at least an automatic NIT Bid. Any post season for a mid-major team is very diffiicult to get.

Second, brand new season in Sioux Falls. Conference Tournaments are high stakes basketball where anything can happen. We will need every Jack Rabbits foot in the state South Dakota to win it.

If NDSU gets to the "Big Dance" it will be by by far the biggest sports/media story in the history of the state when considering demographics for the number of sports minded people interested.

TheDoctor
07-23-2008, 10:51 PM
I certainly see why basketball prognositcators would not consider ranking the Bison very high for the 2008-2009 season considering they were only 1 and 5 against the top three teams in the Summit last season.

Every team in the league will be tough to beat on the road again this season and its best for the players and fans to think this way rather then think they will automatically be at the top of the Summit League. Every team has added new players and has had a year to look at team and player tendencies. Every game will be a war.

First things first. Play like hell to win the regular season championship to guarantee at least an automatic NIT Bid. Any post season for a mid-major team is very diffiicult to get.

Second, brand new season in Sioux Falls. Conference Tournaments are high stakes basketball where anything can happen. We will need every Jack Rabbits foot in the state South Dakota to win it.

If NDSU gets to the "Big Dance" it will be by by far the biggest sports/media story in the history of the state when considering demographics for the number of sports minded people interested.

WOW! I couldn't have said this better. I agree 100%, which is why I am so excited for the season. If we are dancing on the center of the court live on ESPN, I don't care what anyone else says, "it will be by far the biggest sports/media story in the history of the state". Well said! ;)

99Bison
07-23-2008, 10:58 PM
WOW! I couldn't have said this better. I agree 100%, which is why I am so excited for the season. If we are dancing on the center of the court live on ESPN, I don't care what anyone else says, "it will be by far the biggest sports/media story in the history of the state". Well said! ;)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++