PDA

View Full Version : Larson interviews with Gophers

TAILG8R
06-26-2008, 04:50 PM
NDSU coach interviews for job with Gophers (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=206287&section=news)

Bison bison
06-26-2008, 05:04 PM
hmmmmmmmmm.

imabison
06-26-2008, 05:52 PM
NDSU coach interviews for job with Gophers (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=206287&section=news)
All together now paint the image on how bad Larson would be for the Gopher's. We need to cloud the minds of the Gopher hiring process.

aces1180
06-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Sid is against hiring him...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/21621654.html?page=2&c=y

Scroll down to the last paragraph on the page.

lakesbison
06-26-2008, 06:23 PM
argh.... . .

imabison
06-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Sid is against hiring him...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/21621654.html?page=2&c=y

Scroll down to the last paragraph on the page.
Sorry Aces1180, but just because Lars is not his first choice, does not mean he is against hiring him.

"Among the candidates to succeed Phil Lundin as Gophers men's track coach are Minnesota cross-country coach Steve Plasencia, North Dakota State men's track and cross-country coach Don Larson and Oregon associate head track and field coach Dan Steele. I think Plasencia, with his great record as the cross-country coach, should be rewarded with the job."

aces1180
06-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Sorry Aces1180, but just because Lars is not his first choice, does not mean he is against hiring him.

"Among the candidates to succeed Phil Lundin as Gophers men's track coach are Minnesota cross-country coach Steve Plasencia, North Dakota State men's track and cross-country coach Don Larson and Oregon associate head track and field coach Dan Steele. I think Plasencia, with his great record as the cross-country coach, should be rewarded with the job."

I worded that awkwardly...I should have said that Lars is not Sid's first choice..

Bison Dan
06-26-2008, 07:08 PM
I worded that awkwardly...I should have said that Lars is not Sid's first choice...Thanks for the syntax lesson.

If that in-house track coach is any good I'd think they would go with him.

onbison09
06-26-2008, 09:43 PM
This is totally selfish: i hope he stays obviously but good luck in whatever he decides.

silkamilkamonico
06-26-2008, 11:25 PM
I wonder when they will make a decision.

tony
06-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Kind of hard to imagine NDSU track without Coach Larson.

td577
06-29-2008, 03:08 AM
I was asked a while ago why the Bison outrecruits UM in track. There are a lot of Bison track athletes who were recruited by the Gophers that made the choice to come here. The reason Bison track has been so successful is Don Larson has created a track family at NDSU.

When you run track for the Gophers, it becomes very much an individual quest. You work out on your own, you are competing for a spot on your own, and anything about the team becomes secondary to individual success.

Individual success is important at NDSU as well, but they are a team first. The athletes encourage and support, not backstab and step on. There is competition within the team, but it is about how the team will succeed.

Everything about the Bison track program is something the University of Minnesota should want. Plus, the connection to the best SD track athletes shouldn't hurt.

Bryan
06-30-2008, 01:39 AM
I was asked a while ago why the Bison outrecruits UM in track

I would say thats a very debatable statement

roper1313
06-30-2008, 12:58 PM

The fact that it is even debatable speaks volumes for coach Larson.

td577
06-30-2008, 06:47 PM

Then debate it.

trakchic
07-03-2008, 12:36 AM
will be tough to turn down if offered. Twice the salary, the full allotment of DI scholarships (men's track is the only sport other than golf that does not have the full allotment of NCAA track scholarships at NDSU. NCAA limit 14, men have 10) and the Big Ten. And yes NDSU does go "toe to toe" with U of M on most recruits, which does say a lot for NDSU. They each get about 50% of them.

Castor Troy
07-03-2008, 04:50 PM
will be tough to turn down if offered. Twice the salary, the full allotment of DI scholarships (men's track is the only sport other than golf that does not have the full allotment of NCAA track scholarships at NDSU. NCAA limit 14, men have 10) and the Big Ten. And yes NDSU does go "toe to toe" with U of M on most recruits, which does say a lot for NDSU. They each get about 50% of them.

WOW! We have 10 scholarships? When I was on the team the men had 5 and the women had 6 or 7.

The element that Lundin (former Gopher coach) brought to the table was international recruiting, but he has since put more focus on local recruiting which puts him in the meat grinder with NDSU, USD, and Mankato (the Mavericks had a 7'6" high jumper last year). I hope Lars stays a Bison forever, but I hate to say it folks! If Lynn Anderson and crew (current Gopher coaches) requested him to apply that holds a lot of weight. Lars will tell you that he has the utmost repect for his current coaches and that one of them with do a great job taking over. Stevie Keller from Harvey would be the likely choice.

SirHinn
07-07-2008, 01:51 AM
WOW! We have 10 scholarships? When I was on the team the men had 5 and the women had 6 or 7.

The element that Lundin (former Gopher coach) brought to the table was international recruiting, but he has since put more focus on local recruiting which puts him in the meat grinder with NDSU, USD, and Mankato (the Mavericks had a 7'6" high jumper last year). I hope Lars stays a Bison forever, but I hate to say it folks! If Lynn Anderson and crew (current Gopher coaches) requested him to apply that holds a lot of weight. Lars will tell you that he has the utmost repect for his current coaches and that one of them with do a great job taking over. Stevie Keller from Harvey would be the likely choice.

Good post, very insightful!

mn_bison_
07-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Looks like Larson will still be the Bison Track& Field coach. Steve Plasencia was awarded the position.

"Steve Plasencia knows exactly what it takes to compete at a high level in cross-country -- both as an athlete and a coach.

He expects that experience to carry over to the Gophers men's track and field program after being named its coach Monday. Plasencia, also the school's men's cross-country coach, will continue to serve in that role as well."

Here is the link to the Star Tribune...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/24047499.html?location_refer=Sports:highlightModul es:5

Bison Dan
07-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Looks like Larson will still be the Bison Track& Field coach. Steve Plasencia was awarded the position.

"Steve Plasencia knows exactly what it takes to compete at a high level in cross-country -- both as an athlete and a coach.

He expects that experience to carry over to the Gophers men's track and field program after being named its coach Monday. Plasencia, also the school's men's cross-country coach, will continue to serve in that role as well."

Here is the link to the Star Tribune...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/24047499.html?location_refer=Sports:highlightModul es:5

I would have been surprised if they would have passed over one of their own. I always wish Coach Larson the best but I'm glad he's staying.

Castor Troy
07-08-2008, 02:22 PM
This is great for the Bison in 2 ways: We keep Lars, the best track coach in the midwest; and the Goophers now have a distance runner as their track coach and recruiting against them will be much easier. No jumper, sprinter, or hurdler wants to be led by a distance coach. Lars is the total package and has great knowledge in all of these areas as well as running the relays. I used to love going to nationals to watch our white guys (Brent Parmer, Marc Paul, Cal Carlson, and Shane Wendel) hold their own against St. Aug and Abilene.

You can't win a team national championship in track with a bunch of distance runners. Just ask the folks in Colorado, Stanford, and Wisconsin who are all distance running powerhouses.

sambini
07-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Talked to Lars this morning. I told him Im glad he is staying+++

silkamilkamonico
07-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Larson gets back from Colorado on Thursday. In some ways it will be a great "welcome home" for him, and from a lot of people.