PDA

View Full Version : Roster notes

AEBison1998
06-22-2008, 08:30 PM
I was looking at the roster over on Gobison.com and saw three things that were interesting.

Zach Papke is now listed as a Full Back. He was listed as a def. lineman last year. He sounds like a monster. 6'0" 256 lbs. According to his bio, he has his high school record in the bench press. Strong kid! I'm still liking the thought that one of you guys said earlier...to bring out the veer at the goal line next year. But it needs to be the wishbone....Bussey at QB, Papke in the front and the Tylers behind him. Any time you can run a formation with 1000 lbs in the backfield I think you have to do it....if for no other reason... because you can!

The second thing I noticed is that the DT that we signed last winter is not listed. I think his name was Danny Offermann or something like that. Hopefully it is just a mistake. I'd hate to lose a third DT from the list of prospects late last year.

Last. If you look at the list of young safties and linebackers, the competition for those two positions in the coming couple years is going to be fierce! Those two positions were recruited hard the past two years and the caliber of players from those two recruiting classes really sounds impressive to me. It's going to be interesting to see how that depth chart unfolds.

I have a question for anyone who knows what went on at spring ball. How good is Matt Phillips? I don't think he played much last year and he is the only other guy listed as NG. He's only a soph. so I'm sure he's still coming into his own, but I'm just wondering how much of a drop off there may be between him and the starter. Will he be able to be in a regular rotation or will they likely do a three man rotation like last year between the DT and NG? I was curious about the DL so I watched them quite a bit at the spring game and I thought Matt did alright, but I didn't see him stand out. Anyone in the know on this?

Kermit
06-27-2008, 02:47 PM
The second thing I noticed is that the DT that we signed last winter is not listed. I think his name was Danny Offermann or something like that. Hopefully it is just a mistake. I'd hate to lose a third DT from the list of prospects late last year.

I noticed the same thing, and I am surprised no one has commented. Could this be the reason that the Bison apparently have a scholarship to offer Jarrett Crittenton?

BisonNeil
06-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Good eye AE!

I also could not find Offerman, too bad, I heard good things about him when he was in HS.

After you peaked my interest, I took a look at the roster. A few things jumped out at me.

True freshman are listed as Fr as opposed to players who redshirted last year who are listed as RFr. All of the players signed last year are listed as near as I can tell. Interestintly, there appears to be two more walk ons.

"Preferred" walk ons announced on signing day were Wentz, Beckius, Duchscher and Poppel. Two other Fr listed in addition to those are Brock Gion, SS from Regent, ND and Ricky Hagen, DE from Colfax, WI. I wonder if these are walk on walk ons and not preferred? I don't remember this happening the last two years, but then again, I'm old.

Also interesting was that Melvin Thomas is listed as a Fr. He was a 2007 recruit who reshirted in 2007 then left the team for personal reasons. This is obviously a mistake but it begs the question, is he a RFr or a Soph?

AEBison1998
06-27-2008, 10:24 PM
I think Melvin Thomas might be considered a true freshman. He didn't join the team until after fall semester. So he has only been here for 1/2 a year.

Another question was asked about here is the scholarship for the kid from Science. Without knowing anything about how these things work, it seems that when the two DT's didn't sign on signing day there were two left over then. One was used on Bussey and the other might still be left over. Just one possibility.

I saw those other walk on's as well. I thought that was GREAT. I love to see the local talent excited to run with the Herd.

Kermit
06-28-2008, 01:40 AM
Good eye AE!
Two other Fr listed in addition to those are Brock Gion, SS from Regent, ND and Ricky Hagen, DE from Colfax, WI. I wonder if these are walk on walk ons and not preferred?

Hagen is a scholarship player. His signing was announced with the others:

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1383765

tcbison
06-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Brock Gion is a walk on from Mott-Regent, who were the 9 man state champs. He didn't play in the state championship game because of a broken arm. I don't think he is a preferred walk on, just trying to make the team. He played both RB and LB in high school.

Bisonguy
07-26-2008, 11:24 PM
From WDAY - Darius Purcell from Illinois will transfer to NDSU. Possibly playing safety.

Bisonguy
07-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Here's his bio from Illinois- http://fightingillini.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/purcell_darius00.html

5-10, 219, Redshirt Freshman.

High School: Named to the Chicago Sun-Times All-Public League Team ... Champaign News-Gazette All-State special mention ... Rated the 104th-best prospect in the Midwest by SuperPrep ... Made 122 tackles, had two interceptions and recovered two fumbles as a senior ... Also caught 28 passes for over 612 yards and 12 touchdowns at the receiver position ... Chicago Tribune All-State special mention ... Earned all-conference, all-city and honorable mention all-state honors ... Team won the city championship in 2006 ... Earned six letters -- four in football and one each in track and basketball ... High school coach was Elton Harris.

Bisonguy
07-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Article confirming his absence from Illinois-Illini look to live up to high expectations
(http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=223307)

A few Illini, however, apparently have gone bust. Highly hyped redshirt freshman defensive tackle D'Angelo McCray, redshirt freshman running Darius Purcell and sophomore Brandon Jordan aren't on the fall roster.

AEBison1998
07-26-2008, 11:50 PM
I don't fully understand this one. If we wanted another safety, then why didn't we offer Potter earlier?

Here are my two theories....
-The rumors of Melvin Thomas leaving the team are true and we have an extra scholarship and opening there.

-We were holding on to one scholarship to get a good D-lineman and we couldn't get one and so we picked up the best available person and it just happened to be a safety.

Anyone else have a theory or think this was a little surprising?

At any rate, he was a two star recruit last year and a scholarship player at Illinois. So he is likely a very good player. As I looked at the folks we have in the lowest two classes planning to play safety, I think it is going to be a whale of a battle for the starting job in a year or two. It's going to be fun to see.

BisonNeil
07-27-2008, 12:51 AM
Regarding the theory that Purcell is being offered the last scholarship because Melvin left, I wonder. With his height and weight, I am guessing SS? Wasn't Thomas a FS?

AEBison1998
08-02-2008, 02:16 AM
Looks like we picked up a TE from Concordia St. Paul. I don't see any other updates on GoBison.com.

Holley, Sean TE - Unk Anoka, Minn. (Concordia-St. Paul) (Anoka HS)

sambini
08-02-2008, 04:00 AM
Looks like we picked up a TE from Concordia St. Paul. I don't see any other updates on GoBison.com.

Was that in a trade for Mitch Brekke?

WRSDBison
08-02-2008, 10:17 AM

Sure. I think it was a player to be named later.

Going back to AEBison1998, "If we wanted another safety, then why didn't we offer Potter earlier?" Just my opinion, but Purcell sounds like an all around athlete that you simply can't turn down.

AEBison1998
08-02-2008, 10:37 AM
From the way it sounded, Potter is an excellent athlete as well. You have a point though, maybe they have different skills. Maybe Potter is a FS and we were looking for a SS. One other possibility is that he called the coaches quite a while ago and they had a good idea he was coming, but only recently made the decision final.

BisonNeil
08-02-2008, 03:29 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Fightin' Bison
08-02-2008, 06:03 PM
From the way it sounded, Potter is an excellent athlete as well. You have a point though, maybe they have different skills. Maybe Potter is a FS and we were looking for a SS. One other possibility is that he called the coaches quite a while ago and they had a good idea he was coming, but only recently made the decision final.

OMFG! When can we stop talking about that guy!

sambini
08-03-2008, 05:30 AM

Is this verified?

roadwarrior
08-03-2008, 06:29 AM
sambini, he is listed on the roster.

Bison53
08-03-2008, 08:07 AM
We have a recruit with a minor.
How does NDSU deal with this.
Does he lose scholarship?

Gully
08-03-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm assuming you mean minor in possession of alcohol? I would hope he wouldn't lose his scholarship over something this minor, I know about 50 people who "earned" a MIP in college. I would assume some disciplinary action from Bohl but I'd be shocked (and dissappointed) if he lost his scholarship.

BisonNeil
08-03-2008, 03:54 PM
We have a recruit with a minor.
How does NDSU deal with this.
Does he lose scholarship?

I dunno, but maybe why the DT didn't show up?

onbison09
08-03-2008, 04:47 PM
I dunno, but maybe why the DT didn't show up?
Who is it?

X-Factor
08-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Danny Offerman

At this point it is pure speculation. He isn't listed on the all-powerful gobison.com though

Another name that I've seen thrown around on this board is Melvin Thomas

Turns out he IS on the all-powerful gobison.com

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11845&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1481731&Q_SEASON=2008

AEBison1998
08-03-2008, 06:26 PM
If Danny Offerman isn't in camp, then that is really frustrating. The coaches tried to sign 4 DT's last winter and we ended up with just 1. I don't know how good these guys are but the fact that we wanted them and the number was 4 tells me that coaches thougth they were needed. I'm still holding out hope that it was an oversight at GoBison.com until its confirmed.

AEBison1998
08-03-2008, 06:33 PM
OMFG! When can we stop talking about that guy!

Easy Captain. The discussion was intended to think about decisions that the coaches make regarding players. The players were not the main point. To me, (a non-expert) they both look like equal players. But one we offered and one we didn't. I thought that decision was interesting.

BisonNeil
08-03-2008, 08:19 PM
If Danny Offerman isn't in camp, then that is really frustrating. The coaches tried to sign 4 DT's last winter and we ended up with just 1. I don't know how good these guys are but the fact that we wanted them and the number was 4 tells me that coaches thougth they were needed. I'm still holding out hope that it was an oversight at GoBison.com until its confirmed.

On Bisonzone, Steve Hallstrom followed up his post with this comment when asked about Offerman:

On Offerman, I believe I know the situation there, but let me verify before I say anything. I'll post Monday when I'm back in the office. If I talk to Dom, I'll see what he might have found out.

Posted by: Steve Hallstrom on 8/02/2008 7:45 PM

The coaches have tried to recruit several DT in both 2007 and 2008. Danilkowicz is the only one brought in (as a true freshman that is), and he can't seem to get his weight were it needs to be to play the position (still only about 260 lbs). So, I agree this is frustrating but I have read several times in national publications that finding and recruiting defensive linemen is the most difficult of all football positions, DT and DE, so I don't think NDSU is alone on this deal.

WRSDBison
08-03-2008, 09:23 PM
When I was in college I knew some players who got minors. It usually ended in a one game suspension.

X-Factor
08-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Jeff fired out a new article this morning

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/210359

OldBison
08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Jeff fired out a new article this morning

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/210359

And this has what to do with either Offerman or the rumored minor in possession?

bisonmike2
08-04-2008, 05:55 PM
And this has what to do with either Offerman or the rumored minor in possession?

Maybe it has something to do with Roster notes? Just taking a wild guess there.

SlickVic
08-04-2008, 07:01 PM
from what i heard offerman didnt qualify academicly but that was expected he will be in school so hopefully he gets set strait for next year

X-Factor
08-04-2008, 10:41 PM

It doesn't have a whole lot to do with offerman or an MIP. But maybe you need to take a peek at the top of your computer and remind yourself what the title of this thread is.

BisonNeil
08-06-2008, 02:42 AM
This is what I liked best about McFeely's comments on media day on his blog when interviewing Bohl:

Bohl said Bison coaches will take a big-picture, long-term approach to the season this year, with an eye toward the playoffs. Fall camp will be a little less intensive and the Bison will try to play a whole pile of players during the season, with the idea that the Bison have to be fresh, ready and somewhat healthy for the playoffs. Bohl asked the rhetorical question of: If NDSU had to play a playoff game after last year's finale at South Dakota State, would they have had very much left in the tank? Bohl said probably not, and said the Bison would have had a very difficult time winning a playoff game a year ago.

That is what I wanted hear, that means real depth and not just a two deep roster.

NDSUstudent
08-06-2008, 03:01 AM
This is what I liked best about McFeely's comments on media day on his blog when interviewing Bohl:

Bohl said Bison coaches will take a big-picture, long-term approach to the season this year, with an eye toward the playoffs. Fall camp will be a little less intensive and the Bison will try to play a whole pile of players during the season, with the idea that the Bison have to be fresh, ready and somewhat healthy for the playoffs. Bohl asked the rhetorical question of: If NDSU had to play a playoff game after last year's finale at South Dakota State, would they have had very much left in the tank? Bohl said probably not, and said the Bison would have had a very difficult time winning a playoff game a year ago.

That is what I wanted hear, that means real depth and not just a two deep roster.

Perles was on 740 with Tank and was really impressed with the depth on the O-line. Sounded like he wanted to play a lot of guys this year, I think he was talking about rotating 10 guys. He also had some nice comments about how Richards was progressing.

jdoif0304
08-06-2008, 11:52 AM
wow that really hurts that danny won't be in camp and didn't qualify. ouch. so has anyone heard about qb play during camp??

AEBison1998
08-06-2008, 11:55 AM
On the wday sports last night they said Garrett Johnson hurt his knee yesterday in practise. They will know how bad today. If it is serrious, that one will hurt. He would have probably played 40-50% of the downs this year as a backup DE.

roper1313
08-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Perles was on 740 with Tank and was really impressed with the depth on the O-line. Sounded like he wanted to play a lot of guys this year, I think he was talking about rotating 10 guys. He also had some nice comments about how Richards was progressing.

What did he have to say about Richards? I know the staff wasn't all the impressed how he came into camp last year. I'd love to see a fellow Bruin do well.

d3boys
08-06-2008, 08:26 PM
What did he have to say about Richards? I know the staff wasn't all the impressed how he came into camp last year. I'd love to see a fellow Bruin do well.

perles said he is down from 360 to 325 and looking skinny
working hard and is going to be a contributor
said he is very athletic and even amongst all the big guys he looks big

UncleBuck
08-07-2008, 05:12 PM
perles said he is down from 360 to 325 and looking skinny
working hard and is going to be a contributor
said he is very athletic and even amongst all the big guys he looks big

I see the Forum had an article on the skinny little runt today. I like that it seems like the OL has a lot of depth.

westnodak93bison
08-07-2008, 05:17 PM
any word on Fred Bussey?

X-Factor
08-07-2008, 06:01 PM
what does everyone think of these seemingly minor injuries that keep popping up? Some of the newer guys that could have seen some extensive playing time this fall are sidelined temporarily. Hopefully that doesn't prevent them from learning enough technique to not miss an assignment during gametime. Get well soon Bison!

msvjcpa
08-07-2008, 06:16 PM
I heard Lardy went down this morning with a serious concussion and they are now waiting anxiously for an update on Garrett Johnson's knee. Stocynski is having trouble getting the technique right to be effective at backup DE. Could be trouble.

56BISON73
08-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Hey what ever happened to the the guy from Samoa ??? PL

westnodak93bison
08-07-2008, 06:39 PM
man we sure have pi$$ poor coverage of the fall camp. we need something like the philadelphia eagles have, ok that is wishful thinking

mn_bison_
08-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Kolpack has had updates the last two days on http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/ regarding practice. It is something to help pass the time until gametime...

99Bison
08-07-2008, 07:51 PM

He's a DT I think?

79FCourt
08-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Any word on McNorton's progress in fall camp. Is he expected to get some decent playing time this year?

Bison Dan
08-07-2008, 08:42 PM

He's there - Taufete'e, Yuen - DT.

westnodak93bison
08-07-2008, 09:12 PM
so what is the deal with Fred Bussey? Kolpack said in his blog "no on field sighting yet"

imabison
08-07-2008, 09:19 PM
so what is the deal with Fred Bussey? Kolpack said in his blog "no on field sighting yet"
He also said they proper paperwork has not been recd for the transfer to allow him to start practicing.

99Bison
08-07-2008, 09:57 PM
He also said they proper paperwork has not been recd for the transfer to allow him to start practicing.

He's on the roster released by media relations today

BisonNeil
08-07-2008, 10:41 PM
On the wday sports last night they said Garrett Johnson hurt his knee yesterday in practise. They will know how bad today. If it is serrious, that one will hurt. He would have probably played 40-50% of the downs this year as a backup DE.

It sounds like the knee is not major, but he is missing valuable practice time.

As mentioned by others, the injuries are worrisome. Makes me wonder how bad they may have been had Bohl not made the practices less "intense". Would some of these minor injuries (no one out yet to my knowledge) been major?

BisonNeil
08-07-2008, 10:42 PM

I know the official word is that the Bussey deal is not major, just paperwork. But he is missing valuable practice time which could keep him from contributing early. I know Matt Anderson will fill in admirably at MLB behind Henry, but I would rather see him at his "natural" position at OLB.

westnodak93bison
08-18-2008, 03:39 PM
scrolling through the roster I noticed some progress with player weight
Richard down to 322, Sczepanski 218, Buckman up to 312, Landingham 305
Yuen 295, Rossi 283, Britt 280, Phillips 276, Danilkowicz 267, garret johnson 250, Lardinois up to 260, Troy Jackson is 235?, Veldman up to 244
, Boyer 248, Fred Bussey 250? The boys must be working hard and smart.

imported_Bisongold
08-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Lardinois is one of my favorite players. With the added weight...watch out!

SlickVic
08-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Lardinois is one of my favorite players. With the added weight...watch out!

+++++++++++++++++++ the man the beast the legend

imported_Bisongold
08-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Slic...how is the up-and -under move coming along after your summer workouts?? Will be a great addition to your already awesome post game.

SlickVic
08-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Slic...how is the up-and -under move coming along after your summer workouts?? Will be a great addition to your already awesome post game.

chea ive been puttin up some sick stats during summer work outs im averaging a triple double...20 18 and 18 ...18 holes of golf 18 beers and 20 smokes lol...when you got the chicken wing working like i do theres no need to play in the summer theres also no need for the up and under or any other additon to an already fabulous low post repitwa ;)

Bisonguy
08-18-2008, 08:10 PM
scrolling through the roster I noticed some progress with player weight
Richard down to 322, Sczepanski 218, Buckman up to 312, Landingham 305
Yuen 295, Rossi 283, Britt 280, Phillips 276, Danilkowicz 267, garret johnson 250, Lardinois up to 260, Troy Jackson is 235?, Veldman up to 244
, Boyer 248, Fred Bussey 250? The boys must be working hard and smart.

Jackson definitely looks 235. Looks like he could sub in for Roehl.

tjbison
08-20-2008, 02:25 AM
Anybody know how Blincoe is doing, gonna play this year? Haven't anything on him lately

tcbison
08-20-2008, 02:26 AM
Anybody know how Blincoe is doing, gonna play this year? Haven't anything on him lately

I am pretty sure he is out for the year. I believe he tore up his knee in spring ball.

X-Factor
08-20-2008, 02:36 AM
Does anyone know what the difference is between a halfback and a runningback in the WCO? Pete is the only listed HB, everyone else is RB.

My guess is that Pete will redshirt this year. IMO, with all the depth I think that would be the smartest move anyway. Even with a potential All-American in Roehl gone, the backfield is going to be ridiculously loaded next fall. How many FCS teams could lose an All-American and possibly improve at the position? Craziness