PDA

View Full Version : Argus Leader: "SDSU on Solid Ground"

tony
06-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Nice Terry V. article for your reading pleasure:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080621/SPORTS02/806210327/1002/sports

Summary: Until now, SDSU was in a rough spot attracting fans in comparison to USD (USD had the NCC and playoff possibilities). Now, all the sudden, USD has nothing.

I'm not sure I completely agree that this is the case for football as much as the other sports. SDSU will have some advantages attracting the casual fan for football but not as much as in other sports.

The best observation:

But in terms of winning over the suddenly-available masses, there is also value in getting games on television, creating a radio network, and finding other ways to reach into the home of the average fan.

TheBisonator
06-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Have you seen USD's basketball schedules lately Tony?? The USD men play something called Tabor College. I don't know if that's a vocational school or not. I would think SDSU will have the advantage in basketball as well as football for the near future with the advantage in schedules.

Blue
06-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Have you seen USD's basketball schedules lately Tony?? The USD men play something called Tabor College. I don't know if that's a vocational school or not. I would think SDSU will have the advantage in basketball as well as football for the near future with the advantage in schedules.
For a football schedule that includes a:

St. Ambrose (Iowa)
Culver-Stockton (Mo.)
Missouri S&T
at North Greenville (S.C.) (Tigerville, S.C.) a D-2 School
Southern Oregon
I would hope the Jacks have an advantage in football.:nod:

onbison09
06-21-2008, 11:08 PM
From Wikkipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabor_College%2C_Kansas. Sounds like they have really good academics but they're NAIA.

BisBison
06-22-2008, 03:01 AM

I think you mean FABOR College. :D :D

JackJD
06-22-2008, 03:08 PM
From Dean Wermers: That's FabEr College.

From the official site:
FABER COLLEGE was founded in 1904 by Emil Faber, philanthropist, father of the modern American lead pencil and brother of Germany's Eberhard Faber. The campus, nestled in Pennsylvania's beautiful Saquatashog river valley, was once the site of the original Faber Pencil Works. The pencil mill was built in Faber because of the town's happy proximity to a natural graphite quarry, forests of virgin pencilwood trees, and plentiful wild eraser-root.
As the vogue for lead pencils grew, Emil Faber prospered. Now rich and powerful, he still regretted never having received a college diploma. Thus he funded the construction of FABER COLLEGE in the town he founded, and was soon granted an honorary doctorate in education from the college which, then as now, bears his name, Faber.

56BISON73
06-22-2008, 05:25 PM
From Dean Wermers: That's FabEr College.

From the official site:
FABER COLLEGE was founded in 1904 by Emil Faber, philanthropist, father of the modern American lead pencil and brother of Germany's Eberhard Faber. The campus, nestled in Pennsylvania's beautiful Saquatashog river valley, was once the site of the original Faber Pencil Works. The pencil mill was built in Faber because of the town's happy proximity to a natural graphite quarry, forests of virgin pencilwood trees, and plentiful wild eraser-root.
As the vogue for lead pencils grew, Emil Faber prospered. Now rich and powerful, he still regretted never having received a college diploma. Thus he funded the construction of FABER COLLEGE in the town he founded, and was soon granted an honorary doctorate in education from the college which, then as now, bears his name, Faber.

Now that is funny!!!!! PL :D

TheBisonator
06-22-2008, 08:39 PM
I think you mean FABOR College. :D :D

I KNEW somebody would bring up Faber. :D:D:D

Mr. Burgundy
06-24-2008, 03:20 AM
SDSU wishes they were located in Sioux Falls. Take that college out of Brookings and you have Mayville, ND. Seriously. The difference will only continue to grow. I am glad they went with us. I like beating them.

I know they beat us in Football, in the game I call the "Perfect Storm." Time will tell Brookings.

TransAmBison
06-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah, upon looking back on it, if feels like it was a Perfect Storm. Then I think about the previous game in Brookings. Then, I come to think maybe they just beat us? They were not a great team, but they were ready, and hungry.

Go_Herd
06-24-2008, 01:29 PM
I know they beat us in Football, in the game I call the "Perfect Storm." Time will tell Brookings.

Let it go....I don't want to relapse and go back to therapy over that game.:):)

Bison bison
06-24-2008, 01:35 PM
We lost???

bisonhusker
06-24-2008, 02:20 PM
The last thing I remember about SDSU is Nebraska bringing back their walk on program and stealing the studs out of their last recruiting class. That was classic.