PDA

View Full Version : Bison media blog - Dacotah Field

tony
06-16-2008, 09:05 PM
J. Kolpack has some interesting news about Dacotah Field (conversion to a practice field is nearing the final stretch). He also asks what our favorite Dacotah Field memories are.

Great question! I encourage you to answer it on his blog before the trolls show up.

In fact, it's such a good topic that I can't resist asking the same question here: What is your favorite Dacotah Field memory?

Herd Mentality
06-16-2008, 09:22 PM
I have the low-light stuck in my mind. I parked at SU and walked over to ribfest one night and cut across the field. It was depressing thinking about what that place was and what it looks like right now after the years of neglect.

56BISON73
06-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Highlight-Beating UNI and UND in 73. But really the best thing was just playing there.
Lowlight-seeing Dacotah field with artificial turf and in disrepair.
PL

cbline
06-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Playoff win over Pittsburgh State in the cold!!

Trim
06-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Just sitting in the south stands in the cold with my mom. Drunk students all around us. My dearly departed mother was as straight laced as they come, but she enjoyed the thrill of the crazy atmosphere.

Also, my mom couldn't make the infamous whiskey-bottle game. But she was waiting for me in the parking lot of the Sunmart or whatever it was then. I made my way to the car after the game. I was probably about 10 or 11 years old. She was so jacked up. "Trim, you wouldn't believe what Ed Schultz was just saying on the radio!..."

Flintstone
06-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Pittsburgh State playoff win. My first Bison game. Got to go in the locker room and meet some of the players after the game with coach Hammerschmidt.

sambini
06-17-2008, 12:03 AM
1990 playoff game with Pitt State and 1981 night game againest UND . At the time UND WAS RANKED NUMBER 1. Bison win 31-7. Mark Nellermoe ran the veer it was a great evening.

BisoninNWMN
06-17-2008, 12:17 AM
season opener in 89 or 90 against Indiana-Pennsylvania...Tony Satter ran opening kick-off back for a touchdown...one of the best,if not the best, running back in Bison history. All the games I went to when I was a SU, in the late 80's - early 90's, were awesome!!!

Bison101
06-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Perhaps they can try to turn it into a museum. That would be amazing.

TonkaBison
06-17-2008, 02:38 AM
I had to miss the Pittsburgh State game for a !@#$% wedding. It didn't take so I wasted my time. The blizzard game I think against Augie is the one I remember best. All of 900 of us showed up for it and at times you couldn't see across the field it was storming so bad. The schnapps flowed freely that day.

P.S. If I remember correctly the Sioux cancelled their game against UNC that day even though the Bears were in town already.

CaBisonFan
06-17-2008, 03:21 AM
Playoff win against South Dakota in the snow. Not sure of the year. It was the mid-80s. Really close game. SD thought they had it in the bag.

Low - Regular season loss against South Dakota when a receiver from SD caught a long touchdown pass while lying on his back to win the game...no time left. Might have been deflected or knocked down by an SU defensive back...no sure anymore. That was probably in the early to mid 70s.

HerdBot
06-17-2008, 03:30 AM
Can't remember the year but it was during the late 80's or early 90's and we had this great playoff win against Millersville. I remember we were down and it we came back to win. Don't remember details... just images.

BlueBisonRock
06-17-2008, 03:55 AM
Playoff win against South Dakota in the snow. Not sure of the year. It was the mid-80s. Really close game. SD thought they had it in the bag.

Low - Regular season loss against South Dakota when a receiver from SD caught a long touchdown pass while lying on his back to win the game...no time left. Might have been deflected or knocked down by an SU defensive back...no sure anymore. That was probably in the early to mid 70s.

Same low. Bison had that game under control, and then a WTH moment. I remember the crowd just sitting there in disbelief.

High. Most games in the 70's with the Virginia Union playoff game (82?) standing out. I took my trusty Nikon FM to the game and had 'the' shot from the endzone (yes, it was a fumble) but felt the 'fan' take over and pulled the camera down to watch the game.

westnodak93bison
06-17-2008, 12:06 PM
1st memory was my first home game at Dacotah Field.
1988 home opener vs. Northern Michigan. Tony Satter went off with a ridiculous number of all purpose yards. I believe this game was the bottle throwing incident. Seen it first hand, was sitting on about the 15yd line.
Kind of an impressionable game for a freshman in college.

tony
06-17-2008, 01:20 PM
1986 Blizzard Bowl against Augie. I saw just about every guy I knew from Mandan High Class of '83 there.

1990 Playoff game against Pittsburg State

1983 My freshman year at NDSU, a guy from my high school convinced me to go. We stopped at a frat for refreshments and wobbled our way to the game. As soon as the stands started rumbling, I was hooked.

bisonmike2
06-17-2008, 01:49 PM
I never attended a game at Dacotah Field. My only memories of the field is that I used to play soccer and flag football there during my badminton class. And yes that statement is correct. We pretty much played anything but badminton in badminton class. Easy credits. Something I was very good at in college.

Bison Dan
06-17-2008, 01:51 PM
1986 Blizzard Bowl against Augie. I saw just about every guy I knew from Mandan High Class of '83 there.

1990 Playoff game against Pittsburg State

1983 My freshman year at NDSU, a guy from my high school convinced me to go. We stopped at a frat for refreshments and wobbled our way to the game. As soon as the stands started rumbling, I was hooked.

I remember the 86 Blizzard Bowl against Augie - We were throwing snowballs at a little cb and having a ball. He would turn around and shake his fist at the crowd and then when he turned and faced the field 50 snowballs would come pouring down - (very few every got to him) Good times!

CaBisonFan
06-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Same low. Bison had that game under control, and then a WTH moment. I remember the crowd just sitting there in disbelief.

High. Most games in the 70's with the Virginia Union playoff game (82?) standing out. I took my trusty Nikon FM to the game and had 'the' shot from the endzone (yes, it was a fumble) but felt the 'fan' take over and pulled the camera down to watch the game.

So I wasn't imagining this game. Do you remember how it happened? Did one of our guys knock it down, for an apparent incomplete pass, or did he just catch the hail mary? I remember feeling like complete sheet. Yeah...the crowd. That was a non-moment to remember.

CaBisonFan
06-17-2008, 03:12 PM
1988 home opener vs. Northern Michigan. Tony Satter went off with a ridiculous number of all purpose yards. I believe this game was the bottle throwing incident. Seen it first hand, was sitting on about the 15yd line.

Ah...Tony Satter. I'm biased about him, for sure, but I don't think that there's been a better back at SU. If I had to pick a favorite lineup, he'd be in it. Man, could he run. It didn't hurt that the team was great, I suppose.

bisonmike2
06-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Just reading these post about all the cool outdoor games at Dacotah Field makes me wish I could have been around to see one. I love the dome, but there is something about a outdoor game, on a crisp fall afternoon that makes it special.

BlueBisonRock
06-17-2008, 03:48 PM
So I wasn't imagining this game. Do you remember how it happened? Did one of our guys knock it down, for an apparent incomplete pass, or did he just catch the hail mary? I remember feeling like complete sheet. Yeah...the crowd. That was a non-moment to remember.

Since memory is the second thing to go (right after the hair), my remberance need additional insight and editing.

I was sitting in the south stands, quite sober; USD had the ball inside the 50; Bison D had stepped up and stopped the Coyotes repeatedly; There was just enough time for one last play; The ball just got through the D when it appeared the receiver was covered. We went from a W to an L in a heartbeat. Game over. I turned to the young (then) lady at my right and saw the same dismay in her eyes and face. We shook our heads and were speechless. It was such a surprise that the crowd just did not move to the exits.

Go_Herd
06-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Just reading these post about all the cool outdoor games at Dacotah Field makes me wish I could have been around to see one. I love the dome, but there is something about a outdoor game, on a crisp fall afternoon that makes it special.

Agreed, Wish I could have been there for some of these historic games?

Ok, I have to ask--even though this is a tread about reminiscing stories of Dacotah Field.

Why is Dacotah Field still there anyways?

Why not tear down the stands--what purpose do they serve if it's a practice field?

mebisonII
06-17-2008, 04:06 PM
I've also never seen a game at Dacotah Field, so my best memories are a little different: Marching band camp 2000...meeting the people who would be my friends over the next 4-5 years; finishing rehearsal just as a huge storm cloud rolled onto campus with Dr. O yelling at the tubas to put their instruments down before they got hit by lightning; late fall rehearsals with the trumpet players banging their palms against their trumpets to try to get the valves to let lose after they froze in place again.

Good times :) But yeah, the fields an embarrassment in its current form. I think they should incorporate the press-box into the Union or somewhere and make a museum :nod:

BisManBison
06-17-2008, 04:08 PM

That was my first Bison game too! By far one of my most cherished Bison football memories. I remember being in awe of the whole atmosphere after having grown up in a small western ND town. I was about 5 feet right and about 5 rows down of the door Ed came flying out of.

Thinking back on all the games, I don't know if there is one moment that stands out above the rest, maybe because a lot of the memories are a bit foggy for some odd reason. That, and the teams were so dominant during my undergrad years at NDSU that we just expected them to destroy everyone. I do remember one of our game time rituals of placing wadgers on how many plays it would take the Bison to score. Eight was an awfully high pick back then.

One of the lows was a game in the early 90's, perhaps against St. Cloud or Mankato??? Redshirt freshman Chris Carlson started for Simdorn (turf toe I believe) and we ended up losing on a blocked PAT that I think we should have been given 2 points on for a safety as one of the defenders tried returning the block. I just remember Chris playing fairly well for a red-shirt freshman, but he took a pretty good beating that day. I also remember Ed taking off after the officials to get an explanation as to why the Bison weren't given the safety. One of (ok, the only) enduring moment for Ed with the students back then.

90BISON
06-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Would have to also nominate the Pitt State game as one of the greats of all time. It effectively should have been the NC game, as it ended up being way closer than the actual NC against IUP.

Someone else had ref'd the Central State of Ohio playoff game. One thing I remember about that game was that they had like a 350 lb offensive lineman. Our d-line made him look like an absolute fool because they were so much quicker. By the time he could actually pull out of his stance, our d-lineman were already blowing by him. Some of the playoff games against the Cali schools in the cold were also classic.

Then the 1988 "whiskey bottle incident" and the ensuing police state atmosphere at the following games, only to be topped by a giant inflatable Bartles and James bottle which was batted about by the crowd like a giant beach ball, classic.:D

One thing that still gives me chills is the memory of 4000 to 5000 people stomping their feet on the wood bleachers in the South Stands, and the ever constant sound of breaking glass on the concrete below.

cbline
06-17-2008, 04:57 PM
This is not a gametime memory, but a stadium memory. I was in junior high, mid-1970's. Our family came to a game early in the season, and there was a dead steer on the edge of the field by the chank link fence in the southeast corner. Seems it had gotten loose during a pre-game presentation, ran into the fence, broke its neck, and died on the spot. Anybody have any more details on this one???

56BISON73
06-17-2008, 05:12 PM

1973. We never should have lost that game. I could go into the reasons but it would just piss me off as it did back then. PL

badger04
06-17-2008, 05:35 PM
I had a great time at Dacotah field watching my brothers ( Mike, Joe, And Nick) play for the Bison. My first game was back in 1964 or so and Bison just killed Wis-Mil. Along with the great Bison games being played there, how about the High School football game in 1973 when Shanley played Moorhead for the first time in 14 years. Over 11,000 people watched that game. Shanley won 15-0. It was a game that I would never forget.

onbison09
06-17-2008, 09:35 PM
My memories are my dad's memories I guess so I'll just post his favorite ones. He of course talks about the duckbombs. Well here's one of his stories: his friend was extremely hammered so they had to leave before an arrest or a fight. There was a guy with a hoodie on in front of them and my dad's friend kept putting the guy's hood on him. Well they get to the car barley avoiding a fight. My dad turns on the radio on hears Eddie flip the sh** after the bottle flew in the press box. Now for one of my aunt's memories: Well we lost to UND for the first time in 15 years or whatever and they are basically crying in their beer. All of sudden one of the UND basketball players, who happened to be a lesbian, came up (don't know how they knew each other) and started getting under her skin. (Dang bad choice of words there) Well then my aunt said, "At least our basketball players don't marry in a civil ceremony" and they had to be restrained by some bystanders. The end.

onbison09
06-17-2008, 09:47 PM
From the Forum: http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=205270&section=sports

THEsocalledfan
06-18-2008, 12:17 AM
I hope someone from NDSU is attending the NCC farewell banquet. I may hate the mustache, but it was a great home for NDSU for many years until Division II was ruined.

MHDBisonfan
06-18-2008, 01:09 AM
Another thing that always made me laugh, and you knew we already had the game won, was when teams from Cal or south somewhere would show up in Nov/Dec whatever, and the first thing they'd talk about is "oh, we're not going to let this cold get to us" or something like that. When the first thing you say getting off the plane is "we're not going to let the cold affect us" guess what...you're letting the cold affect you!! Comical. Those teams never stood a chance. And like some of you pointed out...those stamping feet in the south bleachers was so amazing!

westnodak93bison
06-18-2008, 02:47 AM
If we can spend $900k for field turf on a practice field why cant we get the good stuff in the Dome? Someone start a fund raiser or something please.

roadwarrior
06-19-2008, 02:36 AM
Memory is such a tough thing sometimes after all of the Peppermint Schnapps and the Peach Schnapps that found it's way into the south stands.

BlueBisonRock
06-19-2008, 02:43 AM
Memory is such a tough thing sometimes after all of the Peppermint Schnapps and the Peach Schnapps that found it's way into the south stands.

Yeah, I had a couple of games like that sitting in the south stands. I still haven't reacquired a taste for Schnapps of any kind. :blush:

TAILG8R
06-19-2008, 02:49 AM
My favorite memory(if you can call it favorite) wasn't just one game, it was my entire family getting suited up in their snomobile suits and big leather mittens and sitting with sleeping bags over our laps. Trying to drink hot chocolate with those huge mittens on was always a challenge.

Great times!

westriver bison
06-19-2008, 04:47 AM

The kegs are what did me in.

NorthernBison
06-19-2008, 04:51 AM
My immediate thought was the Pitt State playoff game. Then I started thinking of other memories and was surprised at how many came to mind.

I remember a playoff game where Cal Poly SLO came to town and the day was brutally cold with a strong NW wind. Wind chill was about a billion below. Fairly early in the game they punted toward the west endzone and the ball hit at about the 2 near the center of the field. Amazingly it bounced straight left and went out of bounds at about the 2 or 3. Bison rolled though.

In 1990 against St. Cloud State, I think, Phil and Todd Wash met at the QB and I think he went off on a stretcher.

Was it the last homecoming game at Dacotah Field where Beachy led a last minute drive and got the ball inside the 5 with just enough time for one play and Ludwig Milfors missed the chippy that would have won the game?

When I was a senior, I believe it was the first home game. I was bummed because Nellermoe and Kasowski had graduated and I didn't think there was much hope for the season. I noticed that we had a new QB in the game named Bentrim. I thought "Great, a Freshman QB and two freshman running backs". Turned out pretty good eh?

After Bentrim graduated, I thought "Who the heck is this skinny Simdorm kid?" I remember him breaking a long run in the first home game and as we were hooting in the stands a couple of us said "He might be OK". Funny how things always turn out. I have much more faith now.

onbison09
06-19-2008, 05:08 PM
The kegs are what did me in.
My dad and his friends put a keg under a trench coat this guy was wearing who happened to be in a wheelchair. He's my role model!! :D

CaBisonFan
06-19-2008, 05:44 PM
If we can spend $900k for field turf on a practice field why cant we get the good stuff in the Dome? Someone start a fund raiser or something please.

I was talking to Belquist after the Cal Poly game and asked him about the turf in the dome. He said that it's like falling on bricks, and full of dangerous seams.

Does that sound right? I could be putting words into his mouth. It's been a while.

If so, something needs to be done.

roadwarrior
06-19-2008, 07:53 PM
There are no seams in the Fargodome turf. It's all one piece. The original turf in the dome was full of seams.

DORMIE
06-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Can't forget the time at Northern Colorado when Bob Entzion bought the ROADWARRIORS a case of beer from the vendor and had it sent up to us in the stands. We celebrated every touchdown with Peach Schnaps.

met1990
06-19-2008, 09:46 PM
I think this has been discussed previously in another thread, but wasn't it a UNC player that tried to climb the fence to get into the south stands?

THEsocalledfan
06-20-2008, 01:47 AM
I think this has been discussed previously in another thread, but wasn't it a UNC player that tried to climb the fence to get into the south stands?

This is a seperate story from this, but involves UNC. Once, regrettably in the FargoDome, we were razing some UNC players while in the student section. Some player eventually starts talking back to us, which, of course, makes us even more terrible back. Our shining star fan was a former national champion Bison who was sitting up there with us and drinking whiskey cokes (not much coke). Eventually, this former player threw his whole drink at the player and drenched the player from top to bottom. Then, he showed him his national title ring and said "This is as close as you will ever get to one of these!" The former national champion Bison was wrong, but it was still a great line and one of my favorit memories.

TransAm, do we dare reveal the name of that former player?

SDbison
06-20-2008, 04:04 AM
Maybe not the best place to post this, but here is an article from the Argus Leader that has a bunch of comments from those formerly involved with the NCC.......lots of references to NDSU (good reading):
http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080615/SPORTS02/806150316/1002/sports

TransAmBison
06-20-2008, 12:48 PM
This is a seperate story from this, but involves UNC. Once, regrettably in the FargoDome, we were razing some UNC players while in the student section. Some player eventually starts talking back to us, which, of course, makes us even more terrible back. Our shining star fan was a former national champion Bison who was sitting up there with us and drinking whiskey cokes (not much coke). Eventually, this former player threw his whole drink at the player and drenched the player from top to bottom. Then, he showed him his national title ring and said "This is as close as you will ever get to one of these!" The former national champion Bison was wrong, but it was still a great line and one of my favorit memories.

TransAm, do we dare reveal the name of that former player?
I would not reveal the name...but I would like to add the player started by throwing his water up into the stands at a fan...the former Bison player just happened to have a bigger drink...and better aim. Great memory.

roadwarrior
06-20-2008, 05:15 PM
State Board of Higher Education oks the plan today:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=205591

Greenie
06-20-2008, 06:16 PM
The new surface will get used a lot between football, soccer, softball, baseball, other sports, and the marching band

roadwarrior
06-20-2008, 07:17 PM
I wonder if the soccer games will be played on the new surface since the existing soccer field is smaller than most?

Greenie
06-20-2008, 08:13 PM
I suppose they could play on the new field. They would need to renovate the entire northside bleacher area, including the team locker rooms, concessions area, restrooms, press box, scoreboard, etc.

NDSUFREAK
06-20-2008, 10:28 PM
tell me about it....never got to go to a Dacotah game, but my dad tells me stories of the atmosphere...reading these posts seems like i missed out way too much:smh:

TheBisonator
06-20-2008, 11:03 PM
tell me about it....never got to go to a Dacotah game, but my dad tells me stories of the atmosphere...reading these posts seems like i missed out way too much:smh:

Dacotah Field was a piece of shit, but it was an outdoor stadium, and that's what mattered.

NDSUFREAK
06-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Dacotah Field was a piece of shit, but it was an outdoor stadium, and that's what mattered.
really? did it look nice ever?

BlueBisonRock
06-21-2008, 12:01 AM
really? did it look nice ever?

In a word: Yes.

56BISON73
06-21-2008, 12:33 AM

As usual you are talking out of your ass again. It was a great field to play on. But you wouldnt know that would you. NO. Plus with the stadium filled on a fall afternoon you couldnt beat it. But you wouldnt know about that either would you. NO
PL

Bisonguy
06-21-2008, 12:40 AM
As usual you are talking out of your ass again. It was a great field to play on. But you wouldnt know that would you. NO. Plus with the stadium filled on a fall afternoon you couldnt beat it. But you wouldnt know about that either would you. NO
PL

PL- did they have the artificial turf down when you played at Dacotah Field?

56BISON73
06-21-2008, 01:08 AM
PL- did they have the artificial turf down when you played at Dacotah Field?

No---no turf. We played on grass. PL

sambini
06-21-2008, 01:55 AM
It was a great place. The placed rocked especially on the south stands.

THEsocalledfan
06-21-2008, 01:56 AM
I would not reveal the name...but I would like to add the player started by throwing his water up into the stands at a fan...the former Bison player just happened to have a bigger drink...and better aim. Great memory.

Darn, I had forgotten he had thrown water up first! My bad! Darn, that make the story even better and funnier.

Hammersmith
06-21-2008, 02:16 AM
No---no turf. We played on grass. PL

You must've just missed it. I assume from your username that you graduated in 1973. The artificial turf replaced the grass in 1975. (I've been burning my eyes out reading the NDUS budget request; NDSU's are the easiest to read by far.)

56BISON73
06-21-2008, 02:21 AM
You must've just missed it. I assume from your username that you graduated in 1973. The artificial turf replaced the grass in 1975. (I've been burning my eyes out reading the NDUS budget request; NDSU's are the easiest to read by far.)

Are you sure it was 75??? Because I came back for a few games when Mort was coach and Iam sure they were playing on grass. Of course I could have had a few to drink but Iam sure it was the real stuff. PL

Hammersmith
06-21-2008, 02:53 AM
Are you sure it was 75??? Because I came back for a few games when Mort was coach and Iam sure they were playing on grass. Of course I could have had a few to drink but Iam sure it was the real stuff. PL

I'm going by what NDSU submitted to the SBoHE when requesting authorization for the current project. The football media guide confirms that the lights and turf were installed in 1975, and the original Astroturf was replaced by All-Pro turf in 1985.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
06-21-2008, 02:56 AM
Don Morton never coached a home game on real grass. His 1st year was 1979 it was all turf. ( For that matter Jim Wacker never did either

56BISON73
06-21-2008, 03:28 AM
Don Morton never coached a home game on real grass. His 1st year was 1979 it was all turf. ( For that matter Jim Wacker never did either

I must of had more to drink than I thought as I cant remember the turf. Of course there are things I cant remember when I was in college also.
I dont know if I should be embarrassed or not.:D PL

Bison_Pride
06-21-2008, 09:24 AM
I remember walking behind the Bison bench and thinking that Tyrone Braxton was smaller than me, even in a uniform.

I loved getting a prime spot on the fence next to the field, near the BSA so you could stand only a few yards from where the receivers and cb's were trying to get into each others heads.

Da Bison
06-21-2008, 01:29 PM
The turf and lights were installed in 1975.

Little story about the turf installation......

Right before the turf went down the company rep. stopped them and asked did you wash it yet???
Nooo....
Well you need to wash the surface with Tide or the oil in the asphalt will leach through. This will then turn your turf brown. Hmmmmm.

So they washed the asphalt and installed the turf.

The edges were painted yellow a couple years later to keep the heat down.

When the school to the north got their turf from NDDot in a swap, the same contractor was in charge of the asphalt. He was about to wash the surface when the brain trust at und stopped them. They were told to forget that foolishness and get the turf down. They were warned about what would happen.

Within a week after their installation was in, their turf turned brown. The cry went up that they got defective turf and to sue, sue, sue. When the contractor came forward with his previous recommendation the cry became paint, paint, paint. So from day 1 that field was painted green.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
06-21-2008, 02:21 PM
I must of had more to drink than I thought as I cant remember the turf. Of course there are things I cant remember when I was in college also.

I forget things that my wife tells me to buy, right before I go to the grocery store! Happens all the time.

The only reason I remember this is that those were the years I played P.L!!!

SDbison
06-21-2008, 02:50 PM
I can't believe you don't remember the original astroturf PL. I remember playing there and the lack of any kind of cushion. Later in the season when everything froze up it was even worse. I also remember playing during a snowstorm when there was an inch of snow on top of the turf and ice water underneath. I have never been colder in my life. I just wore forearm pads in those days and now and then hit the ground on my elbows. Still have scars from the turf burns.

SDbison
06-21-2008, 02:55 PM
The turf and lights were installed in 1975.

Little story about the turf installation......

Right before the turf went down the company rep. stopped them and asked did you wash it yet???
Nooo....
Well you need to wash the surface with Tide or the oil in the asphalt will leach through. This will then turn your turf brown. Hmmmmm.

So they washed the asphalt and installed the turf.

The edges were painted yellow a couple years later to keep the heat down.

When the school to the north got their turf from NDDot in a swap, the same contractor was in charge of the asphalt. He was about to wash the surface when the brain trust at und stopped them. They were told to forget that foolishness and get the turf down. They were warned about what would happen.

Within a week after their installation was in, their turf turned brown. The cry went up that they got defective turf and to sue, sue, sue. When the contractor came forward with his previous recommendation the cry became paint, paint, paint. So from day 1 that field was painted green.
Interesting story Da Bison. Figures the know it alls up in GF would assume they are right.

56BISON73
06-21-2008, 06:03 PM
I can't believe you don't remember the original astroturf PL. I remember playing there and the lack of any kind of cushion. Later in the season when everything froze up it was even worse. I also remember playing during a snowstorm when there was an inch of snow on top of the turf and ice water underneath. I have never been colder in my life. I just wore forearm pads in those days and now and then hit the ground on my elbows. Still have scars from the turf burns.

SD
I cant believe I cant remember it either. :D PL

TheBisonator
06-21-2008, 08:07 PM
PL

No, it was a piece of shit. No concourses?? Check. Wooden benches?? Check. The worst astro turf in the country?? Checkarooney.

Hammerhead
06-21-2008, 08:37 PM
I went to Fargo South so all of the high school games I attended before enrolling at NDSU were at Dacotah field.

I can't think of one best memory, but the most vivid one is the metal troughs for urinals in the restooms and how the water vapor would rise from the warm urine on one of those frigid days.

56BISON73
06-21-2008, 08:38 PM
No, it was a piece of shit. No concourses?? Check. Wooden benches?? Check. The worst astro turf in the country?? Checkarooney.

Considering you didnt play there you prove my point of talking out of your ass.
PL

TheBisonator
06-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Considering you didnt play there you prove my point of talking out of your ass. PL

You misunderstand me. When I say the stadium was a piece of shit, I talk about the actual structure itself, not the cherished memories and games that took place there. You can love something and still understand its major faults. Foe example, I love my brother to death, yet I still understand he has real severe social issues. These two things can be seperated.

Case in point: My favourite all-time football stadium was the Old Met where the Vikings played. I was only 3 years old when it was demolished, but I have watched many hours of old footage and read many books on the great games the Purple People Eaters played there. The Old Met was probably the biggest piece of shit of them all, but that didn't take away from its aura and my love for the place.

Likewise, Dacotah Field was a cherished home for the Bison with great memories and was the home to many legendary games, and it was OUR HOME, but that doesn't take away the fact that the stadium itself was a pile of dung.

56BISON73
06-21-2008, 08:56 PM
You misunderstand me. When I say the stadium was a piece of shit, I talk about the actual structure itself, not the cherished memories and games that took place there. You can love something and still understand its major faults. Foe example, I love my brother to death, yet I still understand he has real severe social issues. These two things can be seperated.

Case in point: My favourite all-time football stadium was the Old Met where the Vikings played. I was only 3 years old when it was demolished, but I have watched many hours of old footage and read many books on the great games the Purple People Eaters played there. The Old Met was probably the biggest piece of shit of them all, but that didn't take away from its aura and my love for the place.

Likewise, Dacotah Field was a cherished home for the Bison with great memories and was the home to many legendary games, and it was OUR HOME, but that doesn't take away the fact that the stadium itself was a pile of dung.

I didnt misunderstand you at all. Back in the day it wasnt a piece of shit as you put it. I assume you would call Kinnick stadium a piece of shit also because they had wooden benches, no doors on the crappers, aluminum urinals and no vendor concources for many years. Even so it was considered a great stadium.
Dacotah Field was a great stadium back in the day especially for a small school.
But your parameters of what you think makes a great stadium is indicative of the fact that You know not of what you speak. You werent around when the Bison played there were you. PL

Da Bison
06-22-2008, 02:27 AM

I disagree......

Dacotah Field was the premier DII facility in the country for a long time.

The turf was very good when new. We had indoor facilities for all. We had concession stands. We had seating for over 14,000. I am proud to have called it home.

The worst turf UNO
The worst stadium SCSU
The worst facilities UND (2- porta johns)

The FFD has spoiled us.

56BISON73
06-22-2008, 02:39 AM
I disagree......

The turf was very good when new. We had indoor facilities for all. We had concession stands. We had seating for over 14,000. I am proud to have called it home.

The worst turf UNO
The worst stadium SCSU

The FFD has spoiled us.

Well said . PL

HerdBot
06-22-2008, 03:16 AM

Compared to the dome it was crap but in reality, it was the best stadium in the best D2 conference in the country.

The downside was the open ends because the wind was brutal.

lakesbison
06-22-2008, 03:20 AM
hey Bisonator... DID YOU KNOW THAT PL BISON 73 Played there?

56BISON73
06-22-2008, 04:07 AM
hey Bisonator... DID YOU KNOW THAT PL BISON 73 Played there?

Lakes
In 73 his old man probably wasnt even alive yet. LOL He doesnt have a clue what Dacotah Field was like. Like I said before. Hes just talking out of his ass. PL

Hammerhead
06-22-2008, 05:28 AM
Bison fans are lucky to have had 2 of the best non-FBS stadiums in the country.

How many seats did Dacotah field REALLY have? I seem to remember some guy who actually counting them when the FFD was just a proposal and he came up with a number much smaller than the estimated attendance figures would hold.

There always seemed to be more butts in the student section than the actual numbers on the bleachers and some people simply stood by the fences along the end zones.

I disagree......

The worst turf UNO
The worst stadium SCSU

The FFD has spoiled us.

Da Bison
06-22-2008, 01:04 PM
I think the actual seat count was just over 14,100.
Tim Bourdon used to do his attendance figures by guessing which gave us some pretty gaudy numbers in the 80's. Hence the former opening day crowd was over 18000 once.

56BISON73
06-22-2008, 05:20 PM
Tim Bourdon used to do his attendance figures by guessing which gave us some pretty gaudy numbers in the 80's. Hence the former opening day crowd was over 18000 once.

We had some pretty good numbers in the 60s and 70s also. Cant rmember which year but there was a 15,000 figure for a UND game. May be B1SON could shed some light on that as I gave him my record book for that era. PL

KC7
06-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Best Memories of Dakotah Field
#5. Pitt State, the moment Brian Sweeney picked off the pass to seal the win for us.
#4. Northern Colorado 1987, my first start as a Bison and my first pick.
#3. Northern Michigan 1980. Bison loose, but I'm hooked after going to my first ever bison game as a 12 year old.
#2. Northern Michigan, 1986 After being a fan for six years, now I am running out with the Herd for the first time as a rook.
#1. 40 yard line visitor's side, 2000, propose to my girlfriend (now wife). All the others were easy, never nervous, just fun. This type of pressure will make any guy flinch, but definitely was my best move on old Dakotah Field!

TheBisonator
06-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Lakes
In 73 his old man probably wasnt even alive yet. LOL He doesnt have a clue what Dacotah Field was like. Like I said before. Hes just talking out of his ass. PL

In 73 my father was 32 years old fighting as a commander for a Turkish Army batallion in the Cyprus War. I'm 26 now, and I used to go to a few games at Dacotah in the last years of its use before the Dome was built. (1988-1992) I never played there, but I watched games there, and I worked with the equipment and locker room facilities there the last year the team was based there in 2003.

I ain't some wet-eared 19 year old who plays XBOX all day and has never experienced anything in life. That title goes to my brother.:D

56BISON73
06-22-2008, 08:50 PM
In 73 my father was 32 years old fighting as a commander for a Turkish Army batallion in the Cyprus War. I'm 26 now, and I used to go to a few games at Dacotah in the last years of its use before the Dome was built. (1988-1992) I never played there, but I watched games there, and I worked with the equipment and locker room facilities there the last year the team was based there in 2003.

I ain't some wet-eared 19 year old who plays XBOX all day and has never experienced anything in life. That title goes to my brother.:D

Who cares what you father did?? This is about you talking out of your ass.
So lets see---you were six to 10 years old when you saw the Bison play there and you worked there 1 year geez.So in reality all you have ever REALLY known is the FD.
Like I said before you dont have a clue what Dacotah Field was really like.
If you dont like to be treated like a wet eared kid quit acting like one because you are totally wrong when it comes to this subject. PL

sambini
06-22-2008, 09:28 PM
All I know it was a special place. When you come to your first game back in the mid 70s it was the PLACE. And former grounds director Denny Gilbertson made sure the place was in good shape. Now it will be a practice field with new field turf. KC 7 LOVED YOUR FAVORITE MEMORYS ALSO++++++++

56BISON73
06-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Best Memories of Dakotah Field
#5. Pitt State, the moment Brian Sweeney picked off the pass to seal the win for us.
#4. Northern Colorado 1987, my first start as a Bison and my first pick.
#3. Northern Michigan 1980. Bison loose, but I'm hooked after going to my first ever bison game as a 12 year old.
#2. Northern Michigan, 1986 After being a fan for six years, now I am running out with the Herd for the first time as a rook.
#1. 40 yard line visitor's side, 2000, propose to my girlfriend (now wife). All the others were easy, never nervous, just fun. This type of pressure will make any guy flinch, but definitely was my best move on old Dakotah Field!

Thanks for sharing!!!! PL

tony
06-22-2008, 10:13 PM

Man, if Dacotah 14100 then a whole lot of other stadiums (i.e. every one I went to), were really overstating attendance.

roadwarrior
06-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Bisonator, judging Dacotah Field based on what you have seen the past couple of years isnt fair. Whats left of the stadium has been neglected for 15 years now. It was a great place for college football.

sambini
06-22-2008, 11:58 PM
As Road has stated its not even close to being what it was back in its day.

TransAmBison
06-23-2008, 02:29 AM
Bisonator, judging Dacotah Field based on what you have seen the past couple of years isnt fair. Whats left of the stadium has been neglected for 15 years now. It was a great place for college football.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IBleedYellow
06-24-2008, 04:06 AM
Everyone would be having a party on the cold days to stay warm, besides all the F#4king fun we would have at this place. I was only like 6 when these games were going on, and I loved it then, and wish we could still play outside now.

Who was the kicker who would kick the ball ontop of the BSA during free points?

sambini
06-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Mike McTague who played many years in the CFL?

d3boys
06-24-2008, 09:37 PM
pregame was awesome
the whole team would watch as he would knock balls on the roof and the students would go wild

Hammerhead
12-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Steve Linke was his name.
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/422109/

Bison fans are lucky to have had 2 of the best non-FBS stadiums in the country.

How many seats did Dacotah field REALLY have? I seem to remember some guy who actually counting them when the FFD was just a proposal and he came up with a number much smaller than the estimated attendance figures would hold.

There always seemed to be more butts in the student section than the actual numbers on the bleachers and some people simply stood by the fences along the end zones.