PDA

View Full Version : The "Other Football"

GradBison
06-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Just was wondering if anyone is enjoying the European Cup of Nations finals on ESPN2?
I'm a rabid Italy fan, they suffered a devastating defeat on their opening game Monday, and tomorrow is the world champs' chance for redemption against Romania. Their third and final game in group stage is next Monday and will be an absolute battle against France who they won against in the 2006 World Cup championship game.

I can't wait till 11:00CDT tomorrow!

Go_Herd
06-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Oh yeah I'm a big fan of 'football', been trying to watch most of the games.

Can't believe that Croatia beat Germany. Germany looked terrible on the pitch all game long..they are lucky the goal difference wasn't higher.

GradBison
06-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Oh yeah I'm a big fan of 'football', been trying to watch most of the games.

Can't believe that Croatia beat Germany. Germany looked terrible on the pitch all game long..they are lucky the goal difference wasn't higher.

I was shocked by the level Croatia played! They totally schooled the Germans. France Vs The Netherlands tomorrow too, taking the afternoon off to see both that and the Italy game live :nod:

GradBison
06-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Group stage is over. Quarter finals starts 7 minutes ago!
Today: Germany X Portugal

This is some high quality futball folks :nod:

bisonaudit
06-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Christian Ronaldo is silly.

I know next to nothing about futbol and even I can see that he's obscenely talented.

extremerouge
06-19-2008, 07:57 PM
i might be watching the games...

GradBison
06-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Christian Ronaldo is silly.

I know next to nothing about futbol and even I can see that he's obscenely talented.

He has amazing skills, he needs to stop the diving and the crying though.

i might be watching the games...

Two great matches this weekend:

Sat: Holland X Russia (abc)
The Dutch are absolutely on fire.

Sun: Italy X Spain (espn)

lakesbison
06-19-2008, 08:30 PM
another sport with more viewers than hockey.

GradBison
06-19-2008, 08:40 PM
another sport with more viewers than hockey.

lol only by a billion or so viewers :p

ndsubison1
06-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Not a big fan of soccer but when it comes to the World Cup and the Euro Cup, teams playing to get to the World Cup, then I am an instant fan. Germany should take it, their defense is basically a wall and same goes with their experienced goalie.

How about that Turkey come back vs. Czech Republic?

SDbison
06-20-2008, 04:15 AM
Soccer sucks.......who wants to watch one of the most boring sports played by a bunch of deprived Europeans and Third World countries. Hockey is ten times more challenging than soccer. Any sport where the refs hold up little yellow cards for infractions.......definately not something Americans came up with......

SDbison
06-20-2008, 04:21 AM
BTW, fan support for professional hockey in the US far exceeds that of the fledgling professional soccer in the US. Americans want fast action and full contact. To borrow a line from Lakesbison, soccer "is gay".

GradBison
06-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Not a big fan of soccer but when it comes to the World Cup and the Euro Cup, teams playing to get to the World Cup, then I am an instant fan. Germany should take it, their defense is basically a wall and same goes with their experienced goalie.

How about that Turkey come back vs. Czech Republic?

That was a monster comeback. The astounding thing is that the Turks did it twice! I'll be rooting for them against Croatia today.

GradBison
06-20-2008, 12:41 PM
BTW, fan support for professional hockey in the US far exceeds that of the fledgling professional soccer in the US. Americans want fast action and full contact. To borrow a line from Lakesbison, soccer "is gay".

If that's really all what Americans want in a sport, explain to me the love of baseball.

runtheoption
06-20-2008, 03:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DICdXTPYgpA

This work/family safe vidoe sums up my thoughts on the "other football" versus the greatest sport ever. I posted this a while back, seemed appropriate to now post it again.

Watch for the "magic water" around 0:53. Good lord.

When the Euro socceroos are on the ground, they look like a fish flopping around in the bottom a boat.

BlueBisonRock
06-20-2008, 04:01 PM

This work/family safe vidoe sums up my thoughts on the "other football" versus the greatest sport ever. I posted this a while back, seemed appropriate to now post it again.

When the Euro socceroos are on the ground, they look like a fish flopping around in the bottom a boat.

Does NDSU still have Club Rugby?

runtheoption
06-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Last I heard, yes. I am not sure how strong they are. Concordia and MSUM have fielded their own teams for the last 5-10 years. I think UND's team has been pretty strong in recent years.

GradBison
06-20-2008, 04:09 PM

Haha that's some good stuff. But rugby is practically non-existent in the US.

I'm really not interested in getting in a debate of "soccer" vs. other sports, the whole point of the thread was to see if there are any fans of the sport enjoying the excellent skill on display in the Euro championship. Was looking to talk futbol with Bison fans, that's all :)

TheBisonator
06-20-2008, 10:59 PM
TURKEY IS OFFICIALLY THE CARDIAC KIDS OF EURO 2008!!!

I have never been more excited to be a Turk, and a Turkish citizen to boot. Unfortunately we'll get thrashed by the Germans, but I can't BELIEVE how this has turned out!!!

RUSTU REDEEMS HIMSELF!!!

TheBisonator
06-20-2008, 11:02 PM
If that's really all what Americans want in a sport, explain to me the love of baseball.

Baseball is ten times more boring than soccer, IMO, even though I totally admit soccer's crutch is the lack of scoring. At least my eyes are hooked on the TV screen when there's a soccer match going on. Baseball is something I have on the TV in the background at 8pm on a weekday summer night if there's nothing else on TV while I'm working on drawings.

I will never understand millions of American's fixation with baseball and the players, games, etc.

Luckily the kids of today are starting to be turned away by The National Bore.

SDbison
06-21-2008, 03:05 AM
Baseball is ten times more boring than soccer, IMO, even though I totally admit soccer's crutch is the lack of scoring. At least my eyes are hooked on the TV screen when there's a soccer match going on. Baseball is something I have on the TV in the background at 8pm on a weekday summer night if there's nothing else on TV while I'm working on drawings.

I will never understand millions of American's fixation with baseball and the players, games, etc.

Much rather have american kids play an american sport like baseball than a faggy EURO sport like soccer. Soccer is to young kids like kickball was when I was a kid........nothing more than a participation sport.....everyone can play......perfect for soccer moms!

GradBison
06-21-2008, 05:19 AM
TURKEY IS OFFICIALLY THE CARDIAC KIDS OF EURO 2008!!!

I have never been more excited to be a Turk, and a Turkish citizen to boot. Unfortunately we'll get thrashed by the Germans, but I can't BELIEVE how this has turned out!!!

RUSTU REDEEMS HIMSELF!!!

I can't believe the Turks pulled out again! Congrats man :)

I had visions of the game going to a shootout and Rustu being a hero, the play of the game for me was the save he made on that free kick... that was the stuff of legends!

Come on beat them damn germans! I hate them.

lakesbison
06-21-2008, 06:43 AM
WOW.. what a match!!!!! turkey is for real!!!

sambini
06-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Lets Go Turkey++++

GradBison
06-23-2008, 04:22 PM
With my team out of the Euros after a lackluster appearance, I'm turned into a mere spectator... 3 more matches of what promises to be wonderful football.

Go Turkey! Continue the dream.

bisonaudit
06-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Man that Italy-Spain match was a snooze fest.

I don't think that the cup format does these games any favors. Single match knockouts only encourage a defensive style and the mentality of playing not to lose. I don't follow futbol closely but it seems to me, from speaking with colleagues in Europe that league play with its 30-40 match schedule and no post season encourages a more agressive and attacking style. I'd appreaciate any thoughts on this from those more knowledgeable as I'm really just extrapolating from a few general conversations.

I would encourage any futbol fan who finds baseball booring to give it a second look and please seek out a knowledgeable fan and inquire profusely. There are a lot of things happening tactically when, to the uninitiated it may not look like much is going on.

There was a time had much the same attitude toward soccer but seeing a few games with people who know a thing or two combine with their willingness to explain some of the tactics to me has got me seeing, at least, glimpes, of why the game has so much appeal globally.

ndsubison1
06-24-2008, 05:42 AM

Not to call you out or anything but the people who say "baseball is boring" are the ones who don't understand or really know the game that well. They think nothing is going on when in fact there are numerous.

You just see a pitcher throwing a ball to a guy with a bat. You don't see that the pitch is an outside breaking ball because the pitcher's hoping to get the guy to hit a ground ball to the right side for a double play.

You don't see the shortstop and second baseman signal who has coverage every pitch based on the hitter and situation.

You don't see the outfield playing a deep shift to left field when A-Rod is batting.

You don't see the pitcher back up third on a ball hit to the outfield with a man on first or, for that matter, the first baseman trailing behind the runner in case of a run-down.

You don't see a pull hitter hitting to the opposite field because there is a gap where the second baseman is playing closer to the bag because he has coverage on the steal.

Overall, baseball is a beautiful game and a thinkers game at that.

GradBison
06-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Man that Italy-Spain match was a snooze fest.

I don't think that the cup format does these games any favors. Single match knockouts only encourage a defensive style and the mentality of playing not to lose. I don't follow futbol closely but it seems to me, from speaking with colleagues in Europe that league play with its 30-40 match schedule and no post season encourages a more agressive and attacking style. I'd appreaciate any thoughts on this from those more knowledgeable as I'm really just extrapolating from a few general conversations.

I would encourage any futbol fan who finds baseball booring to give it a second look and please seek out a knowledgeable fan and inquire profusely. There are a lot of things happening tactically when, to the uninitiated it may not look like much is going on.

There was a time had much the same attitude toward soccer but seeing a few games with people who know a thing or two combine with their willingness to explain some of the tactics to me has got me seeing, at least, glimpes, of why the game has so much appeal globally.

Well, while goals are exciting, just like in most sports, it's defense that wins championships. The way a team plays is completely up to the manager "coach". Some national teams like Italy pride themselves on their defense, it's their traditional strategy that helped them win 4 world cups over the years. In the last world cup Italy allowed only 2 goals in all of their matches, one of which was an own goal in the USA-Italy game.

Ball position, a striker splitting 3 defenders like he has the ball on a string, first touch no look passes, 40+ yard volleys that arrive to the intended player on the dot, clean tackles that disrupt a would be counter attack, a goalie that flies sprawling his 21ft goal line to make a save, etc. all are things to enjoy in the match besides goals. :nod:

League play is generally more open, but also you have more variation in the level of skill and talent in a league than you'd have in a continental or world championship like the Euros or the World Cup. That variation allows the higher tier teams to score more goals.

TheBisonator
06-25-2008, 08:57 PM
WOW, what a crazy game.

A few thoughts:

1) This was Turkey's Minor League all-star team playing against the German's A-team, and they STILL almost beat them. I was seriously expecting a 4-0 drubbing by Germany today. The fact that the Turks got this close was AMAZING.

2) The technical difficulties pissed me off, but there's nothing you can do about it. At the 90th minute when they were showing the German fans, I seriously thought the announcers would state that Turkey scored again.

3) Turkey in effect won Euro2008 in any case. They will be the true story of this tournament. This was George Mason times 1000.

4) I've never been more proud to be a Turk.

GO TURKIYE!!!

TheBisonator
06-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Not to call you out or anything but the people who say "baseball is boring" are the ones who don't understand or really know the game that well. They think nothing is going on when in fact there are numerous.

You just see a pitcher throwing a ball to a guy with a bat. You don't see that the pitch is an outside breaking ball because the pitcher's hoping to get the guy to hit a ground ball to the right side for a double play.

You don't see the shortstop and second baseman signal who has coverage every pitch based on the hitter and situation.

You don't see the outfield playing a deep shift to left field when A-Rod is batting.

You don't see the pitcher back up third on a ball hit to the outfield with a man on first or, for that matter, the first baseman trailing behind the runner in case of a run-down.

You don't see a pull hitter hitting to the opposite field because there is a gap where the second baseman is playing closer to the bag because he has coverage on the steal.

Overall, baseball is a beautiful game and a thinkers game at that.

Yes, but all that stuff involves little to no movement. Why should a casual fan care about the twitch of a finger or the difference of a couple inches?? It's all about action and movement for me. That stuff you talk of is tedious, monotonous movement that becomes very boring very quickly. No wonder most Americans see baseball as nothing more than an excuse to drink beer outdoors on a summer day, and why football and to a lesser extent basketball, are followed like religions in this country.

bisonaudit
06-25-2008, 10:10 PM
If you don't think football is just an excuse to drink beer (and/or gamble) for most people then your just not paying attention.

If you think that's all baseball is to everybody you've seen too many Cubs games on WGN.

I think to some extent you're talking out of both sides of your mouth on this soccer/baseball thing. The typical American thinks that soccer is slow and actionless and doesn't give it a chance. You love the game and wish others to see it the same way that you do. But your attitude toward baseball is just as closed minded as the typical American's take on soccer.

I'm glad your boys played well again today. They're a great story.

GradBison
06-26-2008, 06:02 PM
WOW, what a crazy game.

A few thoughts:

1) This was Turkey's Minor League all-star team playing against the German's A-team, and they STILL almost beat them. I was seriously expecting a 4-0 drubbing by Germany today. The fact that the Turks got this close was AMAZING.

2) The technical difficulties pissed me off, but there's nothing you can do about it. At the 90th minute when they were showing the German fans, I seriously thought the announcers would state that Turkey scored again.

3) Turkey in effect won Euro2008 in any case. They will be the true story of this tournament. This was George Mason times 1000.

4) I've never been more proud to be a Turk.

GO TURKIYE!!!

AMAZING game!! It really was Turkey's game to lose.. they came so close and did it with a shadow of team with only 14 players including 2 goalies on the roster.
Huge accomplishment no matter what. :nod:

Congrats Turkey!

ndsubison1
06-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Yes, but all that stuff involves little to no movement. Why should a casual fan care about the twitch of a finger or the difference of a couple inches?? It's all about action and movement for me. That stuff you talk of is tedious, monotonous movement that becomes very boring very quickly. No wonder most Americans see baseball as nothing more than an excuse to drink beer outdoors on a summer day, and why football and to a lesser extent basketball, are followed like religions in this country.

And soccer is action packed and has movement? I could go make lunch, take a shower, and take a 20 minute nap before the ball crossed mid field.

That's why baseball is a beautiful game. It's a thinkers game, so many things are going on at once and if one person doesn't do their job then it doesn't matter what everybody else does. Whether it's a low scoring affair or high scoring I love watching the two opposing pitchers grind out a pitchers dual or just a flat out slug fest. Plus I love watching a defensive minded game as well, watching the diving catches, OF's running at wreckless abandon into the wall. The thing I love about baseball is that you never know what's going to happen there are so many different things that can happen, in soccer you know it's going to be just a ball kicked around for 89 min. and then maybe just maybe someone will score. I am still somewhat of a soccer fan but at least baseball can't end in a scoreless tie or any tie for that matter (in most circumstances).

56BISON73
06-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Soccer is fun if you like watching grass grow. Ive tried to watch it -----but---:banghead: its just plain boring. Not in as much as its low scoring but the action on the field is a snooooozzer. PL