PDA

View Full Version : Bad break for Sam Meresh

bisonmike2
06-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Your health is much more important than your football career. Here's to hoping for the best.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/19717374.html?location_refer=Homepage

aces1180
06-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Your health is much more important than your football career. Here's to hoping for the best.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/19717374.html?location_refer=Homepage

Thank goodness they did a physical to find this! This is a life threatening disorder...My buddy Shane, an engineer who graduated from NDSU and was in Theta Chi, had a similar condition and had surgery to fix it.

Civil06
06-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Thank goodness they did a physical to find this! This is a life threatening disorder...My buddy Shane, an engineer who graduated from NDSU and was in Theta Chi, had a similar condition and had surgery to fix it.

I am also thankful for the Maresh family's sake that this was caught now. I had a family friend that collapsed after playing basketball and passed away, even though he was in peak condition.

Still, open heart surgery is always very serious and we should keep the Maresh family in our thoughts and prayers.

BisonBabe
06-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Prayers for a speedy and full recovery for this young man.

56BISON73
06-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Prayers for a speedy and full recovery for this young man.

Well said Bisonbabe!!! PL

onbison09
06-10-2008, 09:15 PM
You beat me to this bisonmike. Prayers for Sam.

Bison"FANatic"
06-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Good luck and I wish him well for a speedy recovery.

Props to the Doc that caught the heart murmur that led to the further testing they can be very tough to catch at times.

bisonmike2
06-11-2008, 03:56 PM
I woman I work with is good friends with the Maresh family and her son also played football with Sam. She said that the family is in good spirits, they are happy that it was caught in time and Sam is focused on getting passed the surgery first. (obviously). She did say that he will likely lose his scholarship, not b/c Minnesota will pull it, but b/c of NCAA rules but will still attend school there in the fall. And the doctors have not ruled out that he will never play again, they are not saying one way or another. Their main concern is to complete the surgery and then deal with the recovery afterwards. Best of luck to Sam and the Maresh family, and to here's to a safe surgery and full recovery. I want to see you play in a Bison/Gopher rematch in 09 or 10.

onbison09
06-11-2008, 07:59 PM
I woman I work with is good friends with the Maresh family and her son also played football with Sam. She said that the family is in good spirits, they are happy that it was caught in time and Sam is focused on getting passed the surgery first. (obviously). She did say that he will likely lose his scholarship, not b/c Minnesota will pull it, but b/c of NCAA rules but will still attend school there in the fall. And the doctors have not ruled out that he will never play again, they are not saying one way or another. Their main concern is to complete the surgery and then deal with the recovery afterwards. Best of luck to Sam and the Maresh family, and to here's to a safe surgery and full recovery. I want to see you play in a Bison/Gopher rematch in 09 or 10.
Way to go NCAA!!! Just another example of looking out for the student athlete. :smh:

bisonmike2
06-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Way to go NCAA!!! Just another example of looking out for the student athlete. :smh:

The NCAA might be dicks here but let not fool ourselves. The Gophers, or any other football team on the planet are not going to use a football scholarship on a kid that might not ever play again. They are too valuable to give out to people who don't produce. The NCAA might have the rule in place so that they look like the bad guys and to take the pressure off of the university so they don't have to make that decision. If Sam is healty enough to play football, he'll get his schollie back. If not, he's fortunate to be alive and will still get to go to school like any normal kid.

56BISON73
06-11-2008, 11:12 PM
I would like to see the rule on that. Ive never heard of a player getting his schollie pulled because of injury or sickness. PL

Hammersmith
06-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Maybe they think it will make it easier to get a waiver for the five-year rule if he's able to return to football. If he doesn't get an athletic scholarship this year, he will have a much stronger argument that his five-year clock shouldn't start until he's able to start playing again. Just a thought.

Herd Mentality
06-12-2008, 12:59 AM
There is a huge gap in what this article said. Two completely different surgeries.

My sister had the latter of the two surgeries three years ago this week. The valve had to be replaced. My roommate in college had the prior which only consisted of repair of the valve.

Complete recovery time for this surgery is YEARS. I know of no doctor that would clear a player after replacement of the valve.

My prayers will include Sam and his family. I've been through the emotional rollercoaster associated with this and it is difficult.

SirHinn
06-12-2008, 04:41 AM
There is a huge gap in what this article said. Two completely different surgeries.

My sister had the latter of the two surgeries three years ago this week. The valve had to be replaced. My roommate in college had the prior which only consisted of repair of the valve.

Complete recovery time for this surgery is YEARS. I know of no doctor that would clear a player after replacement of the valve.

My prayers will include Sam and his family. I've been through the emotional rollercoaster associated with this and it is difficult.

Didn't Fred Hoiberg have the same type of surgery? He said he was cleared a year following the surgery. He talked about how Ronny Turiaf also went through a similar surger as well and he's doing alrite. Obviously him being healthy and getting a successful recovery is the most important thing, but it is a return is a possibility.

bisonmike2
06-12-2008, 01:40 PM
I would like to see the rule on that. Ive never heard of a player getting his schollie pulled because of injury or sickness. PL

I don't know if it's a rule or not, I'm just repeating what my co-worker said. But I still don't see a school paying for a scholarship if a kid gets sick or injured and can never play again. Is it the right thing to do? Yes, but since when has the NCAA ever been an advocate of the right thing to do.

Herd Mentality
06-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Hoiberg had an enlarged Aorta and they were able to repair it surgically. If the enlarged Aorta is caused by a faulty valve, the valve/aorta is usually replaced.

56BISON73
06-12-2008, 08:36 PM
I don't know if it's a rule or not, I'm just repeating what my co-worker said. But I still don't see a school paying for a scholarship if a kid gets sick or injured and can never play again. Is it the right thing to do? Yes, but since when has the NCAA ever been an advocate of the right thing to do.

When a player gets hurt and cant play anymore they usually retain their scholarship. I have never heard of one getting pulled for that reason. PL

bisonmike2
06-12-2008, 09:06 PM
When a player gets hurt and cant play anymore they usually retain their scholarship. I have never heard of one getting pulled for that reason. PL

But he's never played for the Gophers, he is not yet a student and the injury is not an injury but a pre-existing medical condition. I don't know what's going to happen with it, I'm just repeating what I was told.

56BISON73
06-12-2008, 11:09 PM
But he's never played for the Gophers, he is not yet a student and the injury is not an injury but a pre-existing medical condition. I don't know what's going to happen with it, I'm just repeating what I was told.

BM2
Sorry I thought he was a current student. So yes I now can see how the U wouldnt have to honor the schollie. Excuse me while I wipe egg off my face.:nod: PL

WildBill
06-14-2008, 10:03 AM

That is totally false. There is a thing called medical redshirt. That is what sam will be on.

bisonmike2
06-14-2008, 02:40 PM
That is totally false. There is a thing called medical redshirt. That is what sam will be on.

Don't shoot! Just the messenger. I think the only thing we know is that we know nothing at all.

WildBill
06-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Don't shoot! Just the messenger. I think the only thing we know is that we know nothing at all.

I'm telling you what we were told as alumni

56BISON73
06-14-2008, 05:43 PM
I would think the kid could back out for a year and then go to school and not lose his red shirt year. But maybe the NCAA has rules against that??? PL

Bisonguy
06-14-2008, 06:59 PM
He might be able to sit out if he receives no financial aid, but otherwise, he's on the five year DI clock. As far as 'medical redshirt', he'd probably have to burn up his redshirt season, as the NCAA rarely grants DI medical hardship waivers unless the redshirt season was already used.

tony
06-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Pretty sure that the scholarship is the last thing the Maresh family and friends are worried about right now... my thoughts and prayers go out to them.

I sure hope he gets through the surgery and recovers enough so that this gifted athlete gets to do what he loves in college. Right now I'm sure all we care about is that he gets through the surgery.

For what it's worth, the Gophers have been total class when it comes to this kind of thing in the past. Blake Bowers from Sherwood, ND got hurt very badly in a car accident and the Gophers didn't seem to hesitate about keeping him on scholarship.

56BISON73
06-14-2008, 08:13 PM
He might be able to sit out if he receives no financial aid, but otherwise, he's on the five year DI clock. As far as 'medical redshirt', he'd probably have to burn up his redshirt season, as the NCAA rarely grants DI medical hardship waivers unless the redshirt season was already used.

I was thinking of sitting out the academic year as well. That way you wouldnt be under the D1 clock. PL

Bison"FANatic"
06-16-2008, 06:57 PM
There is a lot more than a scholarship that will go into his decision. I am sure medical coverage will also come into play for him. Some insurances your coverage stops under the parents if you are not enrolled in a educational institution, some they can stay covered up to a certain age. I would bet that insurance coverage will way in his decision.

Bryan
06-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Sam was to begin classes today and was enrolled in school and the heart condition was discovered by the university doctors. He will be on scholarship his entire career whether he ever plays football again, similiar to what occured with Brandon Owens. He will be in school in the fall and redshirt this year, if he can play again, then he will play the next 3-4 years. If he gets injured one of those seasons, then he can apply for a medical waiver.

KC Bison
06-25-2008, 02:35 PM
I would have to agree with Bison Fanatic. His tuition bill will be zip in comparison with his medical bills. Some family coverages kick kids out of coverage at 18 if they are no longer a student. This could be a tricky situation with his medical coverage.

imabison
06-25-2008, 03:07 PM
I would have to agree with Bison Fanatic. His tuition bill will be zip in comparison with his medical bills. Some family coverages kick kids out of coverage at 18 if they are no longer a student. This could be a tricky situation with his medical coverage.
I may wrong, but I thought the medical coverage still applied while a student under his parents insurance.

That could certainly have changed in this day and age however.

CarringtonBison
06-25-2008, 07:20 PM
most of the time it is off at 18 if not going to college and off at 23 if enrolled full time in college.

bisonmike2
06-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Sam has open heart surgery today. Best of luck Sam, I think that I speak for much of the Bison nation when I say that we hope to see you take the field as a player in the very near future.

BisonBabe
06-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Sam has open heart surgery today. Best of luck Sam, I think that I speak for much of the Bison nation when I say that we hope to see you take the field as a player in the very near future.

Positive energy heading his way. May he be granted the strength to make it through this with the help of his family and friends.

bisonmike2
06-26-2008, 09:06 PM
sounds like Sam's surgery went very well. The surgeon replaced his valve and was able to perform the surgery without completely separating his sternum. It's still a long road to recovery but apparently football is not out of the picture.

Herd Mentality
06-27-2008, 07:21 AM
Sam....my thoughts are with you always and a speedy recovery.

HOWEVER

Coming from a family that has seen this surgery...I can't see how anybody sees him playing football within two years after having the valve REPLACED (or ever for that matter).

Like I've stated in this thread before, it's a huge difference between replacement and "fixing" the valve. Are you telling me they opened him up any less than somebody else his age who needs the replacement and is in "athletic" shape? If so, you'll see some lawsuits filed shortly...

bisonmike2
06-27-2008, 01:38 PM

HOWEVER

Coming from a family that has seen this surgery...I can't see how anybody sees him playing football within two years after having the valve REPLACED (or ever for that matter).

Like I've stated in this thread before, it's a huge difference between replacement and "fixing" the valve. Are you telling me they opened him up any less than somebody else his age who needs the replacement and is in "athletic" shape? If so, you'll see some lawsuits filed shortly...

This is from Sam's dad posted on his caring bridge website. Sound like they are optimistic. All I know is what other people tell me.

Fabulous news!!!

Well I am going to let the secret out.......We did not want to get hopes to high and have them let down if they could not perform the surgery the way I am about to explain. I will keep you in suspense a little longer......First the good news and then I will give you the GREAT news.

Sam's surgery went very well. They attempted to repair his valve twice during the proceedure but as Dr. Schaff explained, if it wasn't perfect he would not be satisfied......He choose to replace the valve. Even though for most the repair would have been fine, Sam wanting to compete at a extremely high level a replacement was the way to go. The aorta was not as bad as they were expecting and was repaired.

NOW THE GREAT NEWS: Dr. Schaff was hoping to perform the surgery without completely separating his sternum. Dr. Schaff, being the great doctor he is, did it. They only separated 1/3 of his sternum.....the top 1/3. They did not have to open the whole sternum which means his recovery and ability to take the impacts for football are excellent. Knowing Sam he will be asking to get fitted for pads before we know it......2009 spring ball, here comes Sam. After that the Big Ten better watch out because Sam will be in the middle for the Minnesota Gophers. I know there is still a long road of recovery ahead, but knowing what all your prays have already accomplished, I am very confident that, with your continued prayers, Sam will be fine. I will continue to let you all know how things are going. Sam has not woke up yet. Julie and I are going back to be him now. I will update tomorrow.

Bill Maresh

tony
06-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Wow! I completely missed that last post. That is fantastic news!

Thanks for letting us know.

Bisonguy
06-27-2008, 09:11 PM

HOWEVER

Asking my local cardiac reference guide (aka my wife), she stated that the typical recovery period for valve replacement was six months (full aerobic activity permitted). This is for older folks that are out of shape, and not a younger person with more recovery powers. She stated the sternum was the biggest issue to heal completely for someone that wanted to be in a contact sport, and that could be in the neighborhood of one year.

sambini
07-30-2008, 03:34 AM
This is from Sam's dad posted on his caring bridge website. Sound like they are optimistic. All I know is what other people tell me.

Fabulous news!!!

Well I am going to let the secret out.......We did not want to get hopes to high and have them let down if they could not perform the surgery the way I am about to explain. I will keep you in suspense a little longer......First the good news and then I will give you the GREAT news.

Sam's surgery went very well. They attempted to repair his valve twice during the proceedure but as Dr. Schaff explained, if it wasn't perfect he would not be satisfied......He choose to replace the valve. Even though for most the repair would have been fine, Sam wanting to compete at a extremely high level a replacement was the way to go. The aorta was not as bad as they were expecting and was repaired.

NOW THE GREAT NEWS: Dr. Schaff was hoping to perform the surgery without completely separating his sternum. Dr. Schaff, being the great doctor he is, did it. They only separated 1/3 of his sternum.....the top 1/3. They did not have to open the whole sternum which means his recovery and ability to take the impacts for football are excellent. Knowing Sam he will be asking to get fitted for pads before we know it......2009 spring ball, here comes Sam. After that the Big Ten better watch out because Sam will be in the middle for the Minnesota Gophers. I know there is still a long road of recovery ahead, but knowing what all your prays have already accomplished, I am very confident that, with your continued prayers, Sam will be fine. I will continue to let you all know how things are going. Sam has not woke up yet. Julie and I are going back to be him now. I will update tomorrow.

Bill Maresh Great news and our prayers are with you Sam+++