PDA

View Full Version : Jake Laber

SirHinn
06-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Your newest member of the FM Redhawks, he'll join the team on Monday.

sambini
06-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Good luck Jake+++

G-city Bison Fan
06-08-2008, 06:01 PM
I am really starting to like this NDSU to Redhawks thing. I still wish that the Redhawks were a minor league affiliate, like Twins AA or something.

jeffdaryl3rd
06-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Of course if the RedHawks were a Twins affiliate they wouldn't be able to continue signing former NDSU players. Also, the only league in the area would be the Midwest League and they would certainly be the farthest team west.

Main point though, congrats to Jake, hope he does well.

lakesbison
06-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Laber to Zimmerman.. sounds great to me!

GO BISON!!

SirHinn
06-09-2008, 04:41 AM
Laber to Zimmerman.. sounds great to me!

GO BISON!!

Zimms is not catching, he's playing outfield.

lakesbison
06-09-2008, 03:08 PM
He caught the game last thursday at newman the last couple innings.. so he can still potentially catch Laber.

lakesbison
06-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Laber pitched 1 inning on thursday? or Wednesday?? i cant remember... anyone else have updates on Jake?

sambini
06-15-2008, 03:22 PM
They said on the radio this morning he was the winning pitcher last night.

roadwarrior
06-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Redhawks press release:

http://www.fmredhawks.com/news/index.php?release_id=696

sambini
07-01-2008, 11:02 PM
On KXJB 4 Sports at 5:30 Jake was released today by the Redhawks.

imabison
07-02-2008, 12:47 AM
On KXJB 4 Sports at 5:30 Jake was released today by the Redhawks.
WDAY said he was released but send down South, perhaps St Louis was mentioned to a developemental position.

jeffdaryl3rd
07-02-2008, 03:42 AM
Shane Bushland was released as well, after one appearance I believe.

SirHinn
07-03-2008, 08:36 AM
WDAY said he was released but send down South, perhaps St Louis was mentioned to a developemental position.

He's leaving for St. Louis today to play for a team in the Frontier League.

sambini
07-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Good luck Jake+++

baseballfan7
07-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Jake signed with the River City Rascals of the Frontier league.

TheDoctor
07-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Jake signed with the River City Rascals of the Frontier league.

Is that a step up or down from the Red Hawks? ;)

baseballfan7
08-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Jake got his first win with River City yesterday. He threw 7 shut out innings letting up 5 hits, walking 5, with 7 strike outs. And the Frontier League is a step below the Northern League.

99Bison
08-02-2008, 06:12 AM
Jake got his first win with River City yesterday. He threw 7 shut out innings letting up 5 hits, walking 5, with 7 strike outs. And the Frontier League is a step below the Northern League.

nice outing

TheDoctor
08-02-2008, 07:22 PM

Thanks. I talked to one of my grad students who works with the baseball team and with the Red Hawks and he said Minor League baseball is different than other sports. It takes longer to develop and you don't want a young player (especially a pitcher) playing at a level too high for them or the will get knocked around and never develop the confidence needed. Jake is a lefty who can throw heat, so he will make a fine pitcher someday. He needs to get used to playing somewhere where they don't need to use him in every game like NDSU did. ;)

Kermit
01-11-2010, 09:27 PM
The Red Hawks have acquired Jake Laber!
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/265498/group/home/

Tatanka
01-11-2010, 10:15 PM
They stole one back from the Rascals!!!

Little known fact: River City Rascals play in O'Fallon, MO, which is where a certain Tatanka went to high school...

TheDoctor
01-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Excited to see Jake back here. I think The Northern League is a parallel move from the Frontier League, but he will get to work with "The Pitching Master" Mongo again and maybe it will be just what he needs. Jake is a lefty with a nasty fastball, to get to the next level he will need at least another pitch. ;)

North Side
01-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Hope all goes well with Jake, always good to see a fellow North and NDSU alum succeed.

TheDoctor
01-13-2010, 05:11 AM
Hope all goes well with Jake, always good to see a fellow North and NDSU alum succeed.

Once a Spartan, always a Spartan! :D ;)

bisonpride
01-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Excited to see Jake back here. I think The Northern League is a parallel move from the Frontier League, but he will get to work with "The Pitching Master" Mongo again and maybe it will be just what he needs. Jake is a lefty with a nasty fastball, to get to the next level he will need at least another pitch. ;)

The Northern League is a step up in competition. The Frontier league is considered a developmental league as they have an age limit of 27 to play. The majority of guys sent there are players good enough to continue developing but are not going to fit into a Northern League lineup where they are needed to produce right away.

After they prove themselves in the Frontier League, they are usually traded for future considerations to a Northern League team, who after the exhibition season may have a young guy they may want to reaquire in the future but do not have space for him currently. They lose the rights to him at the time but in a case like Jake, keep their eye on reacquiring him down the road.

jeffdaryl3rd
01-13-2010, 07:07 PM
The major difference between leagues like the Northern League, American Association, and the Atlantic League and leagues like the Frontier, Continental and Can-Am leagues is the composition of the rosters. The Frontier and similar leagues are composed mostly of younger players straight out of college who went unsigned by a major league team or whose experience is limited to the low levels of the minor leagues. Some of them have age and experience restrictions to keep costs down and competition balanced. The rosters of the the Northern, Atlantic, etc certainly have similar types of players to fill out their rosters but also have a significant number of older players with experience in either the major leagues or the upper levels of the minor leagues. Certainly a step up for Jake, I'm sure he'll do well.

02Bison
02-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Great kid. Sandbagged with him last spring while our office was out sandbagging.