PDA

View Full Version : Brekke leaves for CSP

Bisonguy
06-06-2008, 02:28 AM
FOX news reports tonight that Mitch Brekke has left the team, and will transfer to Concordia St. Paul.

The coaching staff stated they will look to pick up another QB, most likely a JUCO.

silkamilkamonico
06-06-2008, 02:34 AM
Who's the backup at the moment then. That dude from Claifornia?

stevdock
06-06-2008, 02:36 AM
This could put us in a little bit of a bind. (Understatement BIG-TIME)

westnodak93bison
06-06-2008, 03:27 AM
anyone know if Mohler or Wentz will be attending summer school , if they are can they train and interact with the team?

aces1180
06-06-2008, 03:28 AM
Just saw it on Valley News Live...WTF?

MN_BISON
06-06-2008, 03:44 AM
I'm not getting this at all. Went to CSP's web site, 5 QB's on their roster, only catch is they are all freshman or redshirt freshman, so I guess he will have a chance to play. He was the number two QB on a top five FCS team, one injury away from being the number one. I mean if you are going to leave why do it now?

Looking around on the DII board, CSP is projected to finish in the lower half of the south division. I don't get it. I guess one has to do what one feels is best, but I can't help but feel he left the rest of the team in a bad spot but I won't go any further than that because I have no idea what is going on behind closed doors. This sucks and for all of those who said NDSU should have been recruiting more QB's in the past, well I think you have just been proven correct as the Bison now have one, yes one QB on their roster. Here's the other thing that sucks, one of the new QB's coming in this year could very well lose their redshirt due to this move unless a FBS transfer or JUCO is brought in to fill the number two slot.

tcbison
06-06-2008, 04:16 AM
The shocking thing is that it is June and now he decides to transfer. It would have been nice if he would have decided this before spring ball or at a time NDSU could recruit a QB.

MinotBison
06-06-2008, 04:31 AM
You have to wonder how many good QB's are still out there, JUCO or otherwise.

56BISON73
06-06-2008, 04:48 AM
How long had he been with the team??? Was he a transfer or recruited out of HS. PL???

heymch86
06-06-2008, 05:07 AM
he had been with the team since 2005, he redshirted that fall.

Civil06
06-06-2008, 05:09 AM
Wow, I sure wish Parsons was still on the team.

imabison
06-06-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm not getting this at all. Went to CSP's web site, 5 QB's on their roster, only catch is they are all freshman or redshirt freshman, so I guess he will have a chance to play. He was the number two QB on a top five FCS team, one injury away from being the number one. I mean if you are going to leave why do it now?

Looking around on the DII board, CSP is projected to finish in the lower half of the south division. I don't get it. I guess one has to do what one feels is best, but I can't help but feel he left the rest of the team in a bad spot but I won't go any further than that because I have no idea what is going on behind closed doors. This sucks and for all of those who said NDSU should have been recruiting more QB's in the past, well I think you have just been proven correct as the Bison now have one, yes one QB on their roster. Here's the other thing that sucks, one of the new QB's coming in this year could very well lose their redshirt due to this move unless a FBS transfer or JUCO is brought in to fill the number two slot.
Brekke said on the news he was not yet positive it would be CSP.

Bisonguy
06-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Brekke said on the news he was not yet positive it would be CSP.
Yeah, FOX news has been known to jump to conclusions on occasion.

Bisonguy
06-06-2008, 12:28 PM
My power veer idea is looking even better now.....

TransAmBison
06-06-2008, 12:49 PM
veerveerveerveerveerveerveer!!!!!

BisonNeil
06-06-2008, 01:47 PM
This sucks and for all of those who said NDSU should have been recruiting more QB's in the past, well I think you have just been proven correct as the Bison now have one, yes one QB on their roster. Here's the other thing that sucks, one of the new QB's coming in this year could very well lose their redshirt due to this move unless a FBS transfer or JUCO is brought in to fill the number two slot.

AHEM! (heavy clearing of throat)

The comments about whether or not a JUCO QB the staff picked up at this point would be any good are the same comments I made about Bussey. If he's good, why wasn't he signed in Feb? Same applies here. WIth Bohl's contacts, he might be able to put the word out and a FBS transfer might look at the Bison. A big MAYBE...

For those wondering if Mohler and Wentz are here this summer, my understanding of Bohl's last radio interview was that all of last years recruits were in Fargo for summer workouts already except Taufatee. Did anyone else hear that? I don't know if that meant just scholarship players or the walk-ons also.

This is bad. Really, really bad and as many have said, why would Brekke leave now? It doesn't make much sense unless he really feels he wasn't given a fair shake for the starting role, or perhaps he lost 1/2 a scholie. We will likely never know.

There will be many that will say we can just run it because we have such a good OL and RBs, but no team can simply run, IMHO. That is an overly simplistic if not completely unrealistic reaction. The Bison are, simply stated, one injury from having a very tough season. If Mertens is as healthy for all of 2008 as Walker was in 2006 and 2007, then Brekke leaving will be a non-factor.

Time to go to church. Talk to you all later.

TransAmBison
06-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Drago graduating now sucks even more. He would have made an excellent #2. His arm didn't have much for stamina, but he could thrown 40 yards on a tightrope. :D

lakesbison
06-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Jose Can You See!!!

Jose Will Be Getting Redshirt Pulled!!

No Worries People.... No Worries!!!!

Nicky Mertens Is Gonna Be A Freakin Warrior!!

Civil06
06-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Jose Can You See!!!

Jose Will Be Getting Redshirt Pulled!!

No Worries People.... No Worries!!!!

Nicky Mertens Is Gonna Be A Freakin Warrior!!

I bet Jose is jacked.

Can he be the listed #2 while keeping his redshirt (assuming he doesn't ever need to play)?

lakesbison
06-06-2008, 02:11 PM
civil.. YEs sir!!

That will be the plan Im sure for coach bohl and staff.!!!! keep the redshirt on mohler and pull if they have to and leave him #2.

Kyle Belmont was a QB in high school and there are others on the fb team that were QB's.

Hell.. the new JUCO LB recruit was a STAR QB in GEORGIA....

Its not as bad as everyone thinks.... relax....>!!

Bison"FANatic"
06-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Wow all I can say is Wow.

Since this just hit the media maybe the coaches have known Brekke was going to leave for weeks and that is the reason we signed the JUCO LB. As he was a pretty good QB in High School.

Talk about a kick in the shorts to his teammates. The timing could not be much worse. Normally I wish the kids well when they decide to leave but with the timing and what the "TEAM" is going into next year all I can say with this one is Bye Brekke.

THOSE WHO STAY WILL BE CHAMPIONS

TransAmBison
06-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Since this just hit the media maybe the coaches have known Brekke was going to leave for weeks and that is the reason we signed the JUCO LB. As he was a pretty good QB in High School.

Talk about a kick in the shorts to his teammates. The timing could not be much worse. Normally I wish the kids well when they decide to leave but with the timing and what the "TEAM" is going into next year all I can say with this one is Bye Brekke.

What he said.

lakesbison
06-06-2008, 02:37 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=204046&section=news

fox was 1st thanks to lakes

GradBison
06-06-2008, 02:45 PM
I think I need a hug...

aces1180
06-06-2008, 02:57 PM

And he won't at C-SP...Good luck to him...And great post!

Bison"FANatic"
06-06-2008, 03:02 PM
http://www.gobison.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=13796&SPID=695&PALBID=6866&DB_OEM_ID=2400&PAGE_ID=36&ZID=450768

GradBison
06-06-2008, 03:11 PM
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics18/400/FU/FUUXGFHFADPJAJV.20070109185854.jpg

I LOVE this picture!

Bison"FANatic"
06-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Thats what I was trying to do but sometimes I am computer stupid :smh: and I was in a hurry. Thanks for getting that posted and not just a link.!!!!

BisonNeil
06-06-2008, 03:16 PM
While I hope that all of this discussion on what Brecke leaving could mean to the Bison is all just talk, because if Mertens stays healthy all season, then it won't matter, we all know that.

But, for all of those like Lakes who think that Mohler can come right in and play should he have to, no problem, relax; well, that is just crap. That is a rare thing in DI football. Yes, I know, I know very well that Armanti Edwards did it at Appy St, but I for one don't assume Mohler to be the next coming of Edwards. We are, after all, talking about a coaching staff that not only finds it challenging to recruit QBs, they have equal difficulty in retaining them. There, I said it!

So, for this discussion I think it is relevant to see how Matt Hayes answered the question on his blog about why USC is rated higher than LSU even though they both lost a QB. Here is his answer, please note what he says about QBs with no experience in the system and that LSU has to play in the toughest conference:

Matt: Why is it that most preseason rankings, if not all, have USC in the top five -- or even No. 1 -- and have LSU barely in the top 10? The reasoning doesn't make sense. They say, "LSU lost their starting QB." Well, so did USC. They say, "LSU lost a dominant tackle in Glenn Dorsey." Well, so did USC in Sedrick Ellis. Not to mention a DE (Lawrence Jackson) and a good LB (Keith Rivers).

So, just like LSU, they lost a lot on defense. Yet everyone says, "USC is re-loading." Well, it's not like LSU doesn't have depth. I am not saying LSU is better than USC, but I certainly don't think USC is that much better than LSU. So, can you give me an answer?
--Dusty Craft

Dusty: You make some valid points, but to use a classic Seinfeld line, there's still a big matzah ball hanging out there. Don't minimize the impact of the quarterback position. No matter the level -- Pop Warner, high school, college, NFL -- it is the most important position on the field. It's where seasons begin and end.

While I'm the first guy to say LSU won national titles with two guys (Matt Mauck, Matt Flynn) merely managing the team, both were experienced players in the system for multiple seasons. Now, the Tigers have a former walk-on transfer from Harvard (Andrew Hatch) and a former elite recruit (Jarrett Lee) with no experience and minimal time invested in the system. That's not a good situation for a team facing road games against Auburn and Florida -- and the weekly grind of playing in the nation's toughest conference.

Meanwhile, USC quarterback Mark Sanchez played well in relief of the injured John David Booty last fall. He has four years in the Trojans' system, and he already has experienced the toughest road environment in the league (at Oregon) -- where, frankly, he didn't play nearly as poorly in last year's loss as many say he did.

All things being equal -- and they pretty much are on both sides of the ball -- USC is in much better shape at the most critical position in the field.

Bison Dan
06-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Good opportunity for Z. Wentz. If Jose is the real deal I hope they can keep his shirt on. The sky isn't falling!!!!

GradBison
06-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Thats what I was trying to do but sometimes I am computer stupid :smh: and I was in a hurry. Thanks for getting that posted and not just a link.!!!!

Oh no problem, thanks for posting the link!

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 03:51 PM
While I hope that all of this discussion on what Brecke leaving could mean to the Bison is all just talk, because if Mertens stays healthy all season, then it won't matter, we all know that.

But, for all of those like Lakes who think that Mohler can come right in and play should he have to, no problem, relax; well, that is just crap. That is a rare thing in DI football. Yes, I know, I know very well that Armanti Edwards did it at Appy St, but I for one don't assume Mohler to be the next coming of Edwards. We are, after all, talking about a coaching staff that not only finds it challenging to recruit QBs, they have equal difficulty in retaining them. There, I said it!

So, for this discussion I think it is relevant to see how Matt Hayes answered the question on his blog about why USC is rated higher than LSU even though they both lost a QB. Here is his answer, please note what he says about QBs with no experience in the system and that LSU has to play in the toughest conference:

Matt: Why is it that most preseason rankings, if not all, have USC in the top five -- or even No. 1 -- and have LSU barely in the top 10? The reasoning doesn't make sense. They say, "LSU lost their starting QB." Well, so did USC. They say, "LSU lost a dominant tackle in Glenn Dorsey." Well, so did USC in Sedrick Ellis. Not to mention a DE (Lawrence Jackson) and a good LB (Keith Rivers).

So, just like LSU, they lost a lot on defense. Yet everyone says, "USC is re-loading." Well, it's not like LSU doesn't have depth. I am not saying LSU is better than USC, but I certainly don't think USC is that much better than LSU. So, can you give me an answer?
--Dusty Craft

Dusty: You make some valid points, but to use a classic Seinfeld line, there's still a big matzah ball hanging out there. Don't minimize the impact of the quarterback position. No matter the level -- Pop Warner, high school, college, NFL -- it is the most important position on the field. It's where seasons begin and end.

While I'm the first guy to say LSU won national titles with two guys (Matt Mauck, Matt Flynn) merely managing the team, both were experienced players in the system for multiple seasons. Now, the Tigers have a former walk-on transfer from Harvard (Andrew Hatch) and a former elite recruit (Jarrett Lee) with no experience and minimal time invested in the system. That's not a good situation for a team facing road games against Auburn and Florida -- and the weekly grind of playing in the nation's toughest conference.

Meanwhile, USC quarterback Mark Sanchez played well in relief of the injured John David Booty last fall. He has four years in the Trojans' system, and he already has experienced the toughest road environment in the league (at Oregon) -- where, frankly, he didn't play nearly as poorly in last year's loss as many say he did.

All things being equal -- and they pretty much are on both sides of the ball -- USC is in much better shape at the most critical position in the field.

Great post. As for Brekke, he sounds like sore loser. Here's Bohl's quote from the forum.

“He felt like Nick established himself and he wanted the opportunity to play more than just a backup role,” Bohl said.

Translation from coach speak "Brekke couldn't handle losing the starting QB position, so instead of staying on and being part of a team which he already has been a part of for 3 + years, he is quitting on himself and his fellow teamates at NDSU for opportunity for glory at a mediocre DII school."

I don't wish for bad things to happend to this kid but I also do not wish him any good luck either. His timing is suspicious. Some kids are fit into the program, others don't. But deciding you don't belong there just before entering your 4th year at said program stinks of unsportsmanship and selfeshness. Well don't let the door hit in the a$$ on the way out.

bisonhusker
06-06-2008, 04:09 PM
BisonNeil....did you just go on record saying that this staff can't recruit or retain quarterbacks? Classic. I have heard it all. I know it is raining outside today, but it appears to be raining in your world everyday.

Stay positive Neil. Life is short.

Bison9
06-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Hard time recruiting and retaining QBs... Is this cat serious? Have you not witnessed the past 5 years or so? Wow

Paulie
06-06-2008, 04:18 PM
You can't blame a kid for wanting to play, in fact I applaud that to a certain extent. I have never understood the mentality of going to a program for 5 years and never touching the field but you see it all the time with the big programs. For me I'd rather play at a lower level than sit at a higher one.

But I realize that doesn't make sense to those like LakesBison and others that have never worn a jock.

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Hard time recruiting and retaining QBs... Is this cat serious? Have you not witnessed the past 5 years or so? Wow

I'm not saying the sky is failing or that this coaching staff can't recruit QB's but I can see where BisonNeil is coming from.

Look at our depth chart.

1. Mertens
2. <blank>

That says something, right? Now we have a couple of promising kids coming in this fall but they're always a crapshoot. We have nobody else on the roster with experience in the system and some blame has to be put on the coaching staff for this.

lakesbison
06-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Paulie.. I Saved All My Jocks From My Playing Days..

Feel Free To Drive Down And Sniff Them Any Time!

Jose Can You Seee!!!!!!

Relax People!!!!!! He Is The Real Deal Holyfield!!!

NDSUstudent
06-06-2008, 04:24 PM
You can't blame a kid for wanting to play, in fact I applaud that to a certain extent. I have never understood the mentality of going to a program for 5 years and never touching the field but you see it all the time with the big programs. For me I'd rather play at a lower level than sit at a higher one.

But I realize that doesn't make sense to those like LakesBison and others that have never worn a jock.

I don't know, if your buried on the depth chart I would agree but Brekke was one snap away from being the QB.

GradBison
06-06-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm not saying the sky is failing or that this coaching staff can't recruit QB's but I can see where BisonNeil is coming from.

Look at our depth chart.

1. Mertens
2. <blank>

That says something, right? Now we have a couple of promising kids coming in this fall but they're always a crapshoot. We have nobody else on the roster with experience in the system and some blame has to be put on the coaching staff for this.

+++ Spot On.

GradBison
06-06-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't know, if your buried on the depth chart I would agree but Brekke was one snap away from being the QB.

Absolutely! This is inexplicable to me, the number 2 guys at a top FCS team...

BisonNeil
06-06-2008, 04:30 PM

Yes, I'm serious.

2005- Mertens and Brecke
2006- nadda
2007- nadda
2008- Mohler, Wentz a walk on

Three years between QB recruits? Does that sound like recruiting prowess? Name one other position that went three years without a recruit?

Parsons and Brecke left the same year, they couldn't retain them. Retention problem, or what else than?

Of course, if Mertens stays healthy this will be no problem, I acknowledge that. But, the facts do support an issue with recruiting and retention, how can you fail to acknowledge that?

spelunker64
06-06-2008, 04:32 PM
What's the waiting period, if any, for transfers?

NDSUstudent
06-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Yes, I'm serious.

2005- Mertens and Brecke
2006- nadda
2007- nadda

Three years between QB recruits? Does that sound like recruiting prowess? Name one other position that went three years without a recruit?

Parsons and Brecke left the same year, they couldn't retain them. Retention problem, or what else than?

Of course, if Mertens stays healthy this will be no problem, I acknowledge that. But, the facts do support an issue with recruiting and retention, how can you fail to acknowledge that?

You can't blame the coaching staff for Parsons, he graduated and now has moved on in life. Brekke on the other hand is different, losing him just seems odd. Would be interesting to see what played into that decision.

BisonAccountant44
Yes, I'm serious.

2005- Mertens and Brecke
2006- nadda
2007- nadda

Didn't Parsons leave because he was graduating and is going on to Grad school, and playing would've cost him a year there? I don't know if you can call that a retention problem.

NDSUstudent
What's the waiting period, if any, for transfers?

FBS transfers can play right away, FCS or any lower level would have to sit for one year.

BisonAccountant44
06-06-2008, 04:37 PM
You can't blame the coaching staff for Parsons, he graduated and now has moved on in life. Brekke on the other hand is different, losing him just seems odd. Would be interesting to see what played into that decision.

Beat me to it.

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 04:38 PM

How about blaming the kid for a lack of vision? How could he not have seen this coming as a possibility. You have Clutch leaving and setting up a battle between yourself and Mertens as a possible starters. He had a whole year to prepare himself to win that battle and he wasn't good enough. If I was in his position, I would have worked my ass off, competed for the job and then hoped for the best outcome. Well that didn't happened so now what? You can quit or you can help out the best way you can, being ready to take over that top spot when the team really needs you. Even if that means hitting all the training sessions, going to practice, taking the field at games not knowing if you'll ever get to play. The guys who should be the most dissapointed are the other guys in that locker room. They are the ones that will pay for his decision if Mertens ever gets hurt.

SirHinn
06-06-2008, 05:37 PM
How about blaming the kid for a lack of vision? How could he not have seen this coming as a possibility. You have Clutch leaving and setting up a battle between yourself and Mertens as a possible starters. He had a whole year to prepare himself to win that battle and he wasn't good enough. If I was in his position, I would have worked my ass off, competed for the job and then hoped for the best outcome. Well that didn't happened so now what? You can quit or you can help out the best way you can, being ready to take over that top spot when the team really needs you. Even if that means hitting all the training sessions, going to practice, taking the field at games not knowing if you'll ever get to play. The guys who should be the most dissapointed are the other guys in that locker room. They are the ones that will pay for his decision if Mertens ever gets hurt.

He actually didn't quit, he transferred before the season even began. It happens all the time, get used to it. If he quit during midseason, then perhaps you would have a point. I'm sure he's been thinking about this for an extended period oftime. He did what was best for him as an individual, sometimes it's not always about the team.

TransAmBison
06-06-2008, 05:51 PM
He actually didn't quit, he transferred before the season even began. It happens all the time, get used to it. If he quit during midseason, then perhaps you would have a point. I'm sure he's been thinking about this for an extended period oftime. He did what was best for him as an individual, sometimes it's not always about the team.
That statement is what is wrong with a lot of athletes (mostly pro) and I believe transfers into their game. Teams win, individuals acting on their own behalf can ruin a team or drag them down just enough to miss out a championship.

I don't know Brekke's circumstances, maybe he had a good reason. Who knows. All I know is Lakesbison is our new 2nd string qb.

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 06:00 PM

That was my point exactly. He did what's best for him and in the process he'll end up screwing over his former teamates. He has his reasons and he'll live with them. And transferring to play at a lower division is quiting at your chance to play at the FCS level. You're right, it does happen all the time, that doesn't mean I have to get used to it.

SirHinn
06-06-2008, 06:09 PM
[/B]
That statement is what is wrong with a lot of athletes (mostly pro) and I believe transfers into their game. Teams win, individuals acting on their own behalf can ruin a team or drag them down just enough to miss out a championship.

I don't know Brekke's circumstances, maybe he had a good reason. Who knows. All I know is Lakesbison is our new 2nd string qb.

I'm personally tired of hearing people say I would have did this or that if I was in Brekke's position, no one is him and no one cares what anyone else but Brekke would do. Like you said, we don't know all the circumstances behind his transfer. I also disagree completely with your assessment on doing what's best for an individual. Would you rather have someone stay with a program or team when their heart is no longer there? Wouldn't having an unhappy person hurt the team more then it would help it?

G-city Bison Fan
06-06-2008, 06:09 PM
That was my point exactly. He did what's best for him and in the process he'll end up screwing over his former teamates. He has his reasons and he'll live with them. And transferring to play at a lower division is quiting at your chance to play at the FCS level. You're right, it does happen all the time, that doesn't mean I have to get used to it.

Yeah I don't buy that line either. If transfering to CSP to play QB was what was best for him he clearly doesn't get it. NDSU is a better school, NDSU is a better football program. If there are other reasons like being closer to family or a girl so be it, but otherwise I have a hard time understanding the decision.

TransAmBison
06-06-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm personally tired of hearing people say I would have did this or that if I was in Brekke's position, no one is him and no one cares what anyone else but Brekke would do. Like you said, we don't know all the circumstances behind his transfer. I also disagree completely with your assessment on doing what's best for an individual. Would you rather have someone stay with a program or team when their heart is no longer there? Wouldn't having an unhappy person hurt the team more then it would help it?
It's called character. Working through adversity builds it.

SirHinn
06-06-2008, 06:19 PM

So how about we talk about Pat Paschall's character then? People feel the need to rip and question a player when he transfers from NDSU, but they have no problem accepting a transfer with open arms. Should we question why Patrick Paschall was at 2 other schools before NDSU? How about we question Tony Staus as well then too?

TransAmBison
06-06-2008, 06:23 PM
So how about we talk about Pat Paschall's character then? People feel the need to rip and question a player when he transfers from NDSU, but they have no problem accepting a transfer with open arms. Should we question why Patrick Paschall was at 2 other schools before NDSU? How about we question Tony Staus as well then too?
Yeah, I have no problem questioning why they ended up here.

BisonNeil
06-06-2008, 06:26 PM

Apples and oranges.

Pat Paschall left because a new coach came in that had a philosophy he didn't like and an offensive scheme that de-emphasized running the ball (option to spread). He transferred for that reason and then went to a JC to keep his options open. Brecke was recruited and signed by Bohl. So, not even close to the same thing.

Stauss is somewhat analogous, but not entirely. Stauss was a soph starter at NW, then got sat down for a freshman after four games (sound familiar?). Stauss had his chance but couldn't produce. So, he did get disillusioned which is probably what happened to Brecke, but we'll never know.

56BISON73
06-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Great post. As for Brekke, he sounds like sore loser. Here's Bohl's quote from the forum.

“He felt like Nick established himself and he wanted the opportunity to play more than just a backup role,” Bohl said.

Translation from coach speak "Brekke couldn't handle losing the starting QB position, so instead of staying on and being part of a team which he already has been a part of for 3 + years, he is quitting on himself and his fellow teamates at NDSU for opportunity for glory at a mediocre DII school."

I don't wish for bad things to happend to this kid but I also do not wish him any good luck either. His timing is suspicious. Some kids are fit into the program, others don't. But deciding you don't belong there just before entering your 4th year at said program stinks of unsportsmanship and selfeshness. Well don't let the door hit in the a$$ on the way out.

Bisonmike
The kid didnt quit on himself. He had to do what was best for him. He didnt want to ride the pine for his whole carreer. You see player movement all the time now as opposed to years ago when players just kind of hung in there and languished on the bench.. Parsons could have played one more year but nobody is ripping him.
Bottom line it the kid wanted to play and there wasnt an opportunity here.
PL

BisonNeil
06-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Bisonmike
The kid didnt quit on himself. He had to do what was best for him. He didnt want to ride the pine for his whole carreer. You see player movement all the time now as opposed to years ago when players just kind of hung in there and languished on the bench.. Parsons could have played one more year but nobody is ripping him.
PL

Parsons went to ready himself for law school, apples and oranges again.

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 06:48 PM

I don't think kids shouldn't be allow to transfer. I'll just call them out when the circumstances are suspicious. This is what we know about Brekke. He's been in the system for 3 years. He competed for the starting position and lost. He knows he would be the back up for the upcoming position, taking the helm should Merterns not perform well or get hurt. He knows that situation at the QB position, and that by him leaving it would leave a massive hole in the depth chart. He chose to leave anyway and at a time which is difficult to recruit a suitable replacement in time for the fall. Now if we find out that his great aunt mable is dying of cancer and he wanted to transfer to a school that was closer to her, then I'll be the first guy to apoligize. But until then I'll call it like I see it. This kid is a quitter, a sore loser and he just screwed over his team.

99Bison
06-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Why is everything in this thread a problem, isn't it an opportunity too?

TransAmBison
06-06-2008, 06:50 PM
I think 99Bison got a nooner. :D

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 06:53 PM

Well this whole discussion is moot (or is it mute) if Merterns doesn't get hurt or if he doesn't suck. And lets not forget that Lakes has the kid from the whales vagina as the second coming of John Elway.

56BISON73
06-06-2008, 06:57 PM

So working your ass off for 3-4 years doesnt show charachter??? I couldnt imagine sitting on the bench for 4-5 years considering the time and effort a player puts in. Some realize that they arent going to play and fall into that roll. Others feel they are good enough but waiting around for the #1 to get hurt REALLY isnt a good thing. The kid wants to play. I cant fault him as the window of opportunity to play this game doesnt last forever. As a matter of fact when you reach his age the window gets smaller everyday. PL

56BISON73
06-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Parsons went to ready himself for law school, apples and oranges again.

So he was thinking of himself as some others would have put it. I have no problem with him leaving for law school. Just a point. PL

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 07:06 PM
So he was thinking of himself as some others would have put it. I have no problem with him leaving for law school. Just a point. PL

Also he was done with school. Isn't the point of attending higher education to graduate? he completed his goal and it didn't line up with football. Brekke situations appears to have nothing to do with academics and purely with him not getting playing time. Again, I will apoligize should different information arise, but when he decided to attend NDSU he made a commitment to this team and his teammates. He is breaking that commitment.

56BISON73
06-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Also he was done with school. Isn't the point of attending higher education to graduate? he completed his goal and it didn't line up with football. Brekke situations appears to have nothing to do with academics and purely with him not getting playing time. Again, I will apoligize should different information arise, but when he decided to attend NDSU he made a commitment to this team and his teammates. He is breaking that commitment.

The fact remains is he had one more year left to play. He also left the team in a bad position even though he wouldnt have got playing time either.

So all that transferr here should get the same treatment??? Why take them since they broke the commitment to their original school also???
Your view point is a double edged sword. PL

MN_BISON
06-06-2008, 07:23 PM
If Mitch doesn't want to be at NDSU then it is in the teams best interest for him to walk away. Even though I am not happy about the timing of this, in fact it sucks for several reasons, I'm guessing this is very hard on him too, in fact this probably the first thing he's ever quit in his life. Good luck Mitch.

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 07:42 PM
The fact remains is he had one more year left to play. He also left the team in a bad position even though he wouldnt have got playing time either.

So all that transferr here should get the same treatment??? Why take them since they broke the commitment to their original school also???

It is a double edge sword but not all transfers should be treated the same. Each situation is different and should be treated as such. My biggest problem is with the timing. Why didn't he leave right after he lost the position? Why wait until now to bail? If your concerened about playing why not leave way before spring practices or even last fall? The only way he could have made the situation worse is by doing it the day of the first game of the season. 56Bison73 I see your point. The kid wanted to play ball and now he's getting the chance to do that. You think he did the right thing, I think he was selfish and is running away.

90BISON
06-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Bisonmike
PL

That's assuming you can predict the future and know how the entire season is going to play out. Do you remember a kid by the name of Kevin Feeney? Had to come in as a Freshman due to injury to the starter, and the rest is history. "Preparation, meet Opportunity".:nod:

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm not going to discuss this anymore, there's enough stuff that's already been said. Bottom line is we'll be a stronger team once we work past this set up. And it's not like we lost our starting QB. Plus if Lakes says this Jose Moehler kid is the real deal, than by golly, I believe him.

On second that I just read that last sentance again and I just got a little queasy.

bisonhusker
06-06-2008, 07:57 PM
I have to wonder if Parsons will get a phone call today. he is as good a person as NDSU will see. Just a class act. Very good in the classroom, and a very wellspoken kid. He will be/is successful. I wonder if he can/will come back. He can play some receiver in the Parson's project (that was way underused) and be our backup.

56BISON73
06-06-2008, 07:57 PM
It is a double edge sword but not all transfers should be treated the same. Each situation is different and should be treated as such. My biggest problem is with the timing. Why didn't he leave right after he lost the position? Why wait until now to bail? If your concerened about playing why not leave way before spring practices or even last fall? The only way he could have made the situation worse is by doing it the day of the first game of the season. 56Bison73 I see your point. The kid wanted to play ball and now he's getting the chance to do that. You think he did the right thing, I think he was selfish and is running away.

I do agree the timming was terrible. Maybe it was a struggle for him to make the decision. Who knows. I hope he gets the chance to fullfill his dream. PL

TransAmBison
06-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I have to wonder if Parsons will get a phone call today. he is as good a person as NDSU will see. Just a class act. Very good in the classroom, and a very wellspoken kid. He will be/is successful. I wonder if he can/will come back. He can play some receiver in the Parson's project (that was way underused) and be our backup.
I will go out on a limb and say not a chance. Slick, what are the odds? Gotta know how much coin to wager.

99Bison
06-06-2008, 08:22 PM
I don't want to get into a debate about preparation, learning offenses, offense types, etc, but one has to realize that practically all of the most popular QB's in Bison history have ended up starting as Freshman.

90BISON
06-06-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't want to get into a debate about preparation, learning offenses, offense types, etc, but one has to realize that practically all of the most popular QB's in Bison history have ended up starting as Freshman.

Yes they have.:nod:

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 08:27 PM

True freshman or redshirt?

westnodak93bison
06-06-2008, 08:50 PM
I dont doubt the abilities of Jose or Zach but I'd hate to see one or both of them waste a year of eligibilty.

99Bison
06-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Too lazy to look up exacts, but true for most of them.

99Bison
06-06-2008, 08:51 PM
I dont doubt the abilities of Jose or Zach but I'd hate to see one or both of them waste a year of eligibilty.

Agreed........

TransAmBison
06-06-2008, 08:55 PM
This statement reaffirms my belief in my previous statement. Good for you, man!

BisonNeil
06-06-2008, 09:00 PM

Brekke had two more years of eligibility.

BisonNeil
06-06-2008, 09:03 PM
That's assuming you can predict the future and know how the entire season is going to play out. Do you remember a kid by the name of Kevin Feeney? Had to come in as a Freshman due to injury to the starter, and the rest is history. "Preparation, meet Opportunity".:nod:

I thought Feeney was a RFr when he played. No?

BisonNeil
06-06-2008, 09:07 PM

RFr, most of them anyway. Bennie was the only exception I know of, and he ran the veer in high school. Someone here has intimated that Feeney was a true freshman, but that is not my recollection, I believe he was a RFr. Walker was a RFr and only started the last couple of games, he had nearly two years to learn the offensive sets.

Bottom line, true freshmen rarely make a significant contribution for a myriad of reasons, especially at QB. Too much offense to learn, too many sets, speed of the game, not in sync with the receivers. Mohler might be good, but I would hate for him to not have a full year to learn the offense before he thrown to the fire.

BisonNeil
06-06-2008, 09:08 PM

Categorically not true, except for Bennie.

Jdubs21
06-06-2008, 09:08 PM
maybe we can convince parsons to come back

99Bison
06-06-2008, 09:17 PM

Categorically link or stats please?

99Bison
06-06-2008, 09:17 PM
RFr, most of them anyway. Bennie was the only exception I know of, and he ran the veer in high school. Someone here has intimated that Feeney was a true freshman, but that is not my recollection, I believe he was a RFr. Walker was a RFr and only started the last couple of games, he had nearly two years to learn the offensive sets.

Bottom line, true freshmen rarely make a significant contribution for a myriad of reasons, especially at QB. Too much offense to learn, too many sets, speed of the game, not in sync with the receivers. Mohler might be good, but I would hate for him to not have a full year to learn the offense before he thrown to the fire.

Hey, no debate! :D

BlueBisonRock
06-06-2008, 09:18 PM

Wasn't Mark Speral a true freshman?

BisonNeil
06-06-2008, 11:31 PM

Oops, yep!

X-Factor
06-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Bohl says their are JUCO/FBS transfers still available. Does anyone have some names we can throw around until the hopeful signing happens?

AEBison1998
06-07-2008, 01:29 AM
I'll toss out a name of an FBS transfer.

Clint Brewster from the University of Minnesota. I heard he doesn't like the coach.

:D :D :D :D :D

sambini
06-07-2008, 02:33 AM
So was Steve Campbell back in 1976 for Coach Wacker. Wacker in the Hall would be able to shed some light on those days.

4mcruenomore
06-07-2008, 03:10 AM
I always thought of a very good second stringer QB really pushing the starting QB to be better for fear of losing his job. That, and the two guys being competitive/buddies, for sake of the team. My other thought, was of when I was at a Mary game, 2 years ago, might of been Chadron state? Not sure, but I saw the 1st and 2nd QB go down with injuries, and the 3rd stringer have to come out. Scary thought. 3rd stringer had to start the rest of the year.

aces1180
06-07-2008, 03:24 AM
I always thought of a very good second stringer QB really pushing the starting QB to be better for fear of losing his job. That, and the two guys being competitive/buddies, for sake of the team. My other thought, was of when I was at a Mary game, 2 years ago, might of been Chadron state? Not sure, but I saw the 1st and 2nd QB go down with injuries, and the 3rd stringer have to come out. Scary thought. 3rd stringer had to start the rest of the year.

Similar to what happened in Omaha in the 2000 NCAA Quarterfinals...Ryan Johnson went down the game prior (I think), then Gorder got hurt, making way for Jason Jordan (I believe)...I might have the names wrong here, but you get the point...It's not a fun situation for a team to end up in.

Gully
06-07-2008, 03:54 AM

That's fine but nice timing on his part. This really leaves the team in a tough spot. I would assume he was receiving at least a partial scholarship so even if he wasn't seeing the field he was getting a good education. I guess it seems like to me there should be some loyalty for getting help paying for your education. Let's face it, he's never going to be a pro player so he was in a pretty good spot, given his abilities. One play away from being the starting QB!

I just don't think it's a very classy move on his part......take what you can get until you lose the battle to be the starter, then bolt. I'm sure many will disagree and that's fine. I'm just giving my opinion.

DIBISON
06-07-2008, 04:58 AM
Bohl says their are JUCO/FBS transfers still available. Does anyone have some names we can throw around until the hopeful signing happens?

Coach Bohl also said tonight that he has already received information on a couple of possible replacements from the FBS and JC ranks.

56BISON73
06-07-2008, 05:37 AM
That's fine but nice timing on his part. This really leaves the team in a tough spot. I would assume he was receiving at least a partial scholarship so even if he wasn't seeing the field he was getting a good education. I guess it seems like to me there should be some loyalty for getting help paying for your education. Let's face it, he's never going to be a pro player so he was in a pretty good spot, given his abilities. One play away from being the starting QB!

I just don't think it's a very classy move on his part......take what you can get until you lose the battle to be the starter, then bolt. I'm sure many will disagree and that's fine. I'm just giving my opinion.

So to be the starting QB the other QB would have to get hurt. If not he rides the pine. That IS NOT a good spot to be in.
Plus they arent giving you your education. You are actually earninging it. Lets see---practice time, game time, team meetings, travel, weight lifting and conditioning YEAR round. You would actually do better working for the local burger barn for minimum wage. PL

Gully
06-07-2008, 10:40 AM
So to be the starting QB the other QB would have to get hurt. If not he rides the pine. That IS NOT a good spot to be in.
Plus they arent giving you your education. You are actually earninging it. Lets see---practice time, game time, team meetings, travel, weight lifting and conditioning YEAR round. You would actually do better working for the local burger barn for minimum wage. PL

56, I respect your opinion and I think you make a good point regarding how much time and effort the athletes put in. I wouldn't know personally but it sounds like it's far beyond what a "normal" student goes through....not to mention being under a microscope.

I do disagree about it NOT being a good spot. There are many people who have stuck it for years only to finally play as a senior or in some cases never at all. My point is just that he received a good opportunity from the school and, in return, left them in a very difficult situation. It doesn't mean he's going to hell, it's just means I don't respect his actions in this case.

TransAmBison
06-07-2008, 11:38 AM
You had me thinking until the last statement. Someday a guy is going to have grandkids on his lap and he'll fondly tell him burger flipping stories...about that time the person at the front counter got sick, and he was called up to the front for the big show...:D

KC Bison
06-07-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm not too proud to ask for 3 years worth of scholarships back from him if he dumps the program. I know it doesn't work that way but for him to accept scholarships for 3 years and then drop out when he could finally contribute something on the field seems like a ripoff.

56BISON73
06-07-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm not too proud to ask for 3 years worth of scholarships back from him if he dumps the program. I know it doesn't work that way but for him to accept scholarships for 3 years and then drop out when he could finally contribute something on the field seems like a ripoff.

How do you feel about players who come to school promised a full schollie and after a couple of year have there schollie money reduced? PL

Gully
06-07-2008, 05:45 PM
How do you feel about players who come to school promised a full schollie and after a couple of year have there schollie money reduced? PL

I wouldn't be upset if they left. They received the scholly money while they were putting in all the effort and dedication toward the team. If that goes away, I wouldn't blame them if they did as well.

Hansel
06-07-2008, 06:17 PM
I am sure nobody here has ever left a job for a better opportunity- perhaps even after the company had invested time and money training the individual

he's gone

deal with it

AEBison1998
06-07-2008, 08:15 PM
I wonder if this will play into the battle for the starting left tackle position. I remember reading that each of the three guys fighting for a spot there had advantages and disadvantages. With one experienced QB (right hander) in fall camp, I would think that the best blind side pass protector might be the skill that could sway the coaches to pick the starter.

Anyone know who is the best pass blocker at left tackle?

56BISON73
06-07-2008, 08:31 PM
I am sure nobody here has ever left a job for a better opportunity- perhaps even after the company had invested time and money training the individual

he's gone

deal with it

Correct
In this day and age its all about opportunity. Look no futher than coaches leaving their recruits and players for gazillions of dollars etc. You can blame the players when the coaches are leading the way. PL

CaBisonFan
06-07-2008, 11:01 PM
You have to wonder how many good QB's are still out there, JUCO or otherwise.

This is a little scary.

Are there any other players that could step in? Any great athletes at the receiver, DB, or RB positions?

Scooter1
06-07-2008, 11:26 PM
This is a little scary.

Are there any other players that could step in? Any great athletes at the receiver, DB, or RB positions?

Here you go.

1. from this thread post #96 DIBISON - "Bohl said tonight that he has already received info on a couple of possible replacements from FBS and JC ranks."
2. Kyle Belmont
3. Daniel Eaves
4. Melvin Thomas III
5. Fred Bussey JUCO transfer former QB standout.
6. Jose Mohler
7. Zach Wentz

sambini
06-08-2008, 02:45 AM
I heard he was looking at ST.THOMAS. Coached by former Bison asst. Glen Caruso. Good luck to the young man. Time to move on.

BisonNeil
06-08-2008, 02:53 PM
I wonder if this will play into the battle for the starting left tackle position. I remember reading that each of the three guys fighting for a spot there had advantages and disadvantages. With one experienced QB (right hander) in fall camp, I would think that the best blind side pass protector might be the skill that could sway the coaches to pick the starter.

Anyone know who is the best pass blocker at left tackle?

I have discussed this very issue with friends, so I think you ask a very good question. This is copied from Jeff Kolpack's article on April 20 in the Forum:

NDSU’s left tackle options

Gerry Ebel

Junior, 6-7, 310

- Strength: Intelligence; always seems to be in the right spot and has good strength

- Weakness: Experience; needs to be more consistent in pass protection

Michael Arndt

Sophomore, 6-7, 305

- Strength: The combination of size and athletic ability

- Weakness: Needs to become a better run blocker

Paul Backowski

Junior, 6-6, 295

- Strength: Athletic and good at pass protection

- Weakness: Needs to be more physical in the run game

It would appear from this that Backowski gets the nod for pass protection, Ebel is the best run blocker but his pass protection is what needs the most work. Arndt seems to be the best combination of both.

Lots of options, it will be very intesting to see who gets to protect an extremely valuable QBs blind side.

BisonNeil
06-08-2008, 03:28 PM

Clint Brewster from the University of Minnesota. I heard he doesn't like the coach.

Hey, you may have hit it!

Check out this article from the Pioneer Press by Charlie Waters (I lifted this from the GopherHole). Near the end Brewster talks about his son and how he is between a rock and a hard place. He's behind a starter who plays well and has three yrs of eligibility left and a very gifted incoming Fr in Gray. He said he knows his son wants to play and transferring will be one of those difficult decisions. Check it out:

http://www.twincities.com/walters

It is highly unlikely that Brewster would let his son go FCS though, and especially unlikely to a team that embarassed him in the Dome in front of their largest crowd in 2007 (almost 4,000 more than the next largest attended game against their hated rival WI).

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38608&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=1206422

Mr. Burgundy
06-09-2008, 12:18 AM
I have said that U of M has too many quarterbacks, and most people have been critical. I am not saying we will get one, but I think it is an option down the road.

tjbison
06-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Hey, you may have hit it!

Check out this article from the Pioneer Press by Charlie Waters (I lifted this from the GopherHole). Near the end Brewster talks about his son and how he is between a rock and a hard place. He's behind a starter who plays well and has three yrs of eligibility left and a very gifted incoming Fr in Gray. He said he knows his son wants to play and transferring will be one of those difficult decisions. Check it out:

http://www.twincities.com/walters

It is highly unlikely that Brewster would let his son go FCS though, and especially unlikely to a team that embarassed him in the Dome in front of their largest crowd in 2007 (almost 4,000 more than the next largest attended game against their hated rival WI).
http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38608&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=1206422

Why not, it can't be worse than were he is now atleast he'd have some W's to talk about.

SirHinn
06-09-2008, 04:59 AM
I have said that U of M has too many quarterbacks, and most people have been critical. I am not saying we will get one, but I think it is an option down the road.

Too many qb's? Let's not get too ahead of ourselves now. If they continue to get 4 star's like the stud this year, then I will definately agree. Right now though all they have an above average starter and 2 unproven freshmen qb's.
If you don't get QB's every year, you end up in the position of NDSU. If Mertens gets hurt, the Bison are pretty much in deep deep trouble.

56BISON73
06-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Too many qb's? Let's not get too ahead of ourselves now. If they continue to get 4 star's like the stud this year, then I will definately agree. Right now though all they have an above average starter and 2 unproven freshmen qb's.
If you don't get QB's every year, you end up in the position of NDSU. If Mertens gets hurt, the Bison are pretty much in deep deep trouble.

The question is--how many back up QBs can you keep-retain on the roster??? After Walker left you had TWO back ups leave. Not many teams that Ive heard of run in to that situation. Plus if you are a forth or fith teamer waiting in the wings there could be some huge quality issues.PL

Mr. Burgundy
06-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I am not saying they have "too many," but they have two many highly recruited guys that are going to want to play eventually. Brewster was a 4 star kid who signed with Illiniois initially. He is a stud on paper. I think the writing is on the wall that one or more of those kids will eventually transfer...and I am not saying they will come to NDSU. I also thought they had one other bigtime quarterback recruit....but I am not sure of the name. I think he is a bit older now and still in the program...so he wil probably stick it out

RunDMc34
06-09-2008, 01:29 PM
The thing I see as being the problem is if someone does transfer they arent transfering to NDSU to become a backup. If Mertens is as good as he's supposed to be with his experience within the system he would be tough to beat out for a starting spot.

I think thats going to always be a problem for NDSU with transfers doesnt mean it wont or cant happen I just think our success makes it less likely to get a QB to transfer in because if they are leaving a big school they want guarenteed playing time.

56BISON73
06-09-2008, 02:10 PM
The thing I see as being the problem is if someone does transfer they arent transfering to NDSU to become a backup. If Mertens is as good as he's supposed to be with his experience within the system he would be tough to beat out for a starting spot.

I think thats going to always be a problem for NDSU with transfers doesnt mean it wont or cant happen I just think our success makes it less likely to get a QB to transfer in because if they are leaving a big school they want guarenteed playing time.

That scenario will hold true to almost every transfer. Except there will no guarantees. They want to see that they have have a good opportunity to see playing time. PL

BisonNeil
06-17-2008, 01:23 AM

The rumors persist on the GopherHole that he is leaving the team (last post):

http://thehole84398.yuku.com/topic/4473/t/Brewster-offers-an-OT-from-Arizona.html

Question is, does he want to waste another year sitting out to start his career, or does ne want to go IAA so he can play right away? Does he want to be next to his parents so they can watch him play (although AE would argue Clint hates his coach and wants to get as far away as possible) Was Clint impressed with the Bison when they played in the Dome last fall and think NDSUs system may fit him?

You may all think this is a bunch of bull, but stranger things have happened. The #17 QB recruit in 2006 is leaving Michigan State to go to a non-scholarhipls IAA school:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=423165

You never know....

AEBison1998
06-17-2008, 03:26 AM
Just for the record. I was only joking that he doesn't like his dad. I don't have any inside scoop. It just seemed that he was a tallented kid caught between two players that may be even more tallented.