PDA

View Full Version : The HoDo

4mcruenomore
06-04-2008, 03:45 AM
Stayed at the HoDo last friday and saturday, never been there before. Drank beers on the roof both nights, very cool. I was able to talk football with a guy from Penn State, Minnesota, and a Montana State fan, which made the time even better. That place is a def. plus to the Fargo area, it was awesome.

sambini
06-04-2008, 04:31 AM
Owned by a former Bison volleyball player from the 80s.

tony
06-04-2008, 08:54 PM
The HoDo is one of my favorite hotels in the world... scratch that, it IS my favorite hotel in the world. If I had to hole up in a hotel for a couple weeks, that would be the place I'd pick over any other. It has a sense of place and you can tell somebody really put their soul into it.

56BISON73
06-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Whats the HoDo???? PL

lakesbison
06-04-2008, 09:08 PM
http://www.hoteldonaldson.com/

56BISON73
06-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Wasnt the Gaslight in there many moons ago??? PL

roadwarrior
06-04-2008, 09:39 PM
No, the gaslight was in the Graver Inn. (Roberts St and 2nd ave)

56BISON73
06-04-2008, 09:50 PM
No, the gaslight was in the Graver Inn. (Roberts St and 2nd ave)

Yep that was it. Thanks PL

MN_BISON
06-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Wasnt the Gaslight in there many moons ago??? PL

It was the Donaldson Hotel.

Bisonguy
06-04-2008, 10:12 PM
The HoDo was in this year's National Geographic Traveler's Stay List (http://www.nationalgeographic.com/traveler/extras/staylist/uscentral.html) (effectively, the top 150 hotels in North America).

Mr_Meanor
06-04-2008, 10:44 PM
The HoDo is a great place....its one of the few jems in the Fargo area.

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 05:31 PM
The HoDo is a beautiful place. I remember when it first re-opened I used to hate it. Seemed like all the snobby people in Fargo hung out there. Maybe it's still true, or maybe I have become one of the uppity, but it's a nice place to grab a drink or a buffalo burger.

TransAmBison
06-06-2008, 05:46 PM
The HoDo is a beautiful place. I remember when it first re-opened I used to hate it. Seemed like all the snobby people in Fargo hung out there. Maybe it's still true, or maybe I have become one of the uppity, but it's a nice place to grab a drink or a buffalo burger.
You are definitely uppity.*

*I know nothing about the HoDo.
**I am just making the statement that bisonmike2 is uppity.
***If he wasn't uppity, he'd be bisonmikejr.

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 06:08 PM
You are definitely uppity.*

*I know nothing about the HoDo.
**I am just making the statement that bisonmike2 is uppity.
***If he wasn't uppity, he'd be bisonmikejr.

Thanks for that. I lol'd. I'm actually the duece b/c I hosed up bisonmike and couldn't get the password reset to work. So instead on contacting the admin I went with bisonmike2. But yeah I'm uppity. I mean not everyone ownes a vacation home* in Moorhead near the river.

*that's what I'm calling it until I get a renter in there.

G-city Bison Fan
06-06-2008, 06:12 PM
I never thought I would be saying this, but it is kinda nice that Fargo has some uppity. Obviously we don't want it getting out of hand, but it is nice to be able to go somewhere other than the turf and chubs every night.

mebisonII
06-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks for that. I lol'd. I'm actually the duece b/c I hosed up bisonmike and couldn't get the password reset to work. So instead on contacting the admin I went with bisonmike2. But yeah I'm uppity. I mean not everyone ownes a vacation home* in Moorhead near the river.

*that's what I'm calling it until I get a renter in there.

What a stupid thing to do. I can't believe someone would do that. :smh:

;)

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 06:56 PM
What a stupid thing to do. I can't believe someone would do that. :smh:

;)

I just wanted to help out the membership numbers at bisonville. :)

TransAmBison
06-06-2008, 07:01 PM
I just wanted to help out the membership numbers at bisonville. :)
Didn't take you long to change avatars...Dwight didn't last long...

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Didn't take you long to change avatars...Dwight didn't last long...

I know but I saw the UND chode make a comeback and I had to use his pic. I'll get Dwight on there soon enough.

4mcruenomore
06-07-2008, 03:25 AM
Well, speaking of uppity. As I'm holding a Busch Light on the roof, someone did ask me who my favorite Nascar drive was with a snicker, lol. Still was fun though.

bisonmike2
06-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Well, speaking of uppity. As I'm holding a Busch Light on the roof, someone did ask me who my favorite Nascar drive was with a snicker, lol. Still was fun though.

My friends and I got glares for drinking Bud heavy and taking Jag bomb shots at the bar. We were also obnoxiously drunk so that could have something to do with it.

tony
06-10-2008, 03:03 PM

Good Lord, they sell Busch Light at the HoDo!?! (sound of monocle popping out.)

Hehe, that Nascar-crack sounds like something I'd say (although not until I was introduced to you because that would be impolite). :)

Don't forget: Uppity people need a place to drink too, dang it!

Now, if they toss up a velvet rope and have a bouncer pick who gets to come in, that's when you start getting into uppity. Stage 2 would be getting rid of Busch Light from the bar menu unless you order it ironically (kinda like the Hollywood types who were wearing trucker hats back in 2003). Stage 3 would be to have an unmarked entrance and only being able to get in if you know a member. Fargo snobs are amateurs... maybe UND-Fargo can step in and help with an extension class.

Seriously, while I do love the HoDo, it is expensive for the area and wouldn't meet a lot of people's needs nearly as well as some of the other great hotels in the area that have pools, kitchens, gambling, on-site laundry rooms and all that.

G-city Bison Fan
06-10-2008, 03:23 PM
While we are on the topic of being uppity and Busch Light, I think places like the HoDo and maybe some of the other downtown bars, (Dempsys, Fort Nox) really need to step up with the beer selection. Learning to drink at NDSU, I thought there were only about 5 beers in the world and Guinness was considered exotic. A 2 year trip to Pittsburgh opened my eyes, and now somewhere between Milwaukee and Chicago I seem to be in some sort of beer Mecca.

Besides, Old Chicago, I really can't think of any place that has an "inspiring" beer selection, and I think it is definitely one thing Fargo is lacking.

bisonmike2
06-10-2008, 03:27 PM
While we are on the topic of being uppity and Busch Light, I think places like the HoDo and maybe some of the other downtown bars, (Dempsys, Fort Nox) really need to step up with the beer selection. Learning to drink at NDSU, I thought there were only about 5 beers in the world and Guinness was considered exotic. A 2 year trip to Pittsburgh opened my eyes, and now somewhere between Milwaukee and Chicago I seem to be in some sort of beer Mecca.

Besides, Old Chicago, I really can't think of any place that has an "inspiring" beer selection, and I think it is definitely one thing Fargo is lacking.

I didn't fully learn to appreciate beer until after I worked at a liquor store (Empire West siiide!). Exotic beer for me before than was some keystone ice silo's we bought while coming back from Montana.

aces1180
06-10-2008, 04:03 PM

Lucky for me, I have two bars within a block of each other in Detroit Lakes that has a good selection. (Zorbaz and Lakeside).

They even have Fat Tire at each (which I used to love, but am have now tired of).

bisonaudit
06-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Beligan beer. That's what we need. Belgium is to beer as France is to wine. Hundreds of micro brews in ancient little abbeys all over the country. Most of it's double distilled 8-12% alcohol by volume and has to be corked like wine because the fermentation process is actually completed in the bottle. Good stuff.

imabison
06-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Beligan beer. That's what we need. Belgium is to beer as France is to wine. Hundreds of micro brews in ancient little abbeys all over the country. Most of it's double distilled 8-12% alcohol by volume and has to be corked like wine because the fermentation process is actually completed in the bottle. Good stuff.
Not to detract from the HoDo, but W F Maxwells has a few Belgium beers. Saison, Delirum Tremens (Watch out extremely strong). We have submitted a list of suggestions for additional products to them.

Best enjoyed during happy hours at half price.

Hodo has some very good beers, and the beer diners are excellent food and beer.

Bison"FANatic"
06-11-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm not a beer fan but I was out to WF Maxwells with a few people last week that liked the beer selection there and they would be considered "beer snobs".

Wacker_in_the_Hall
06-11-2008, 03:45 PM

Fargo has proven over and over that they won't support "microbrews" It would take something pretty special to make it here

Civil06
06-11-2008, 04:57 PM
I like the Granite City microbrew.

TransAmBison
06-11-2008, 05:23 PM
I like the Granite City microbrew.
I agree, they have a nice little selection there.

d3boys
06-11-2008, 09:09 PM
inexpensive sampler
good deal
good beer

G-city Bison Fan
06-12-2008, 02:44 PM
I like the Granite City microbrew as well. There are some really great restaurants/microbrewery places in Milwaukee and Chicago that are great little places to eat and drink. Just went to Goose Island down in Wrigleyville the other night after the cubs v. braves game and they have a nice selection of their own microbrews and great food. Color me disappointed that Fargo can't get behind something like that.

Bisonguy
06-12-2008, 09:52 PM
I like the IPA at Granite City. :nod:

4mcruenomore
06-15-2008, 03:24 AM
They don't sell Busch Light there, pretty sure I got it from someone's room (wonder who's that was), I drank like a case of beer that day so.....