PDA

View Full Version : Bison offense

Bison_Backer
06-03-2008, 06:18 PM
I didn't have the chance to watch the spring game. Are the Bison doing anything new on offense this year, or same short passing game and Punishing run game?

Maybe some coaches on here noticed some subtleties.

NDSUstudent
06-03-2008, 06:37 PM
My question is what are they go doing to with Mertens running ability? He had something like 1860 yards and 45 tds at EGF and if you watched him during his brief stint on the basketball team you could tell he was definitely athletic. With our depth at QB I'm sure Bohl won't want Mertens running around too much but it should be interesting to see if his legs will add a new dynamic to the offense.

Bisonguy
06-03-2008, 06:46 PM
I didn't have the chance to watch the spring game. Are the Bison doing anything new on offense this year, or same short passing game and Punishing run game?

Maybe some coaches on here noticed some subtleties.

It will be the same as last year, only different. :D

Mertens has more of a gun than Walker, so I'd expect to see a few more vertical passing opportunities per game this year.

Bison"FANatic"
06-03-2008, 06:58 PM
I would bet that it will be basically the same as last year. They will try and use Mertens arm for a few shots each game if they get the correct matchups and teams sneek up to stop the run. We might see a few of the roll out runs that Parsons ran last year from Mertens this year. Overall I won't be looking for major changes but I guess we will see. I never expected to see the crazy formation that we are using for punts either but if there is a better way to do something the coaches will get it done.

silkamilkamonico
06-03-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't see Mertens running a whole lot, but I do see them moving him around and out of the pocket. If he can buy some time and let the WR's run routes a little longer it could result in some big plays.

I know I don't want him actually running the ball 3+ times a game unless it's necessary.

roadwarrior
06-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Perles did a great job tailoring the offense to use the best of the talents of those players that were out on the field. I see him to continue doing this, and with different players out there, we will see some changes to use their strengths.

bisonaudit
06-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I would bet that it will be basically the same as last year. They will try and use Mertens arm for a few shots each game if they get the correct matchups and teams sneek up to stop the run. We might see a few of the roll out runs that Parsons ran last year from Mertens this year. Overall I won't be looking for major changes but I guess we will see. I never expected to see the crazy formation that we are using for punts either but if there is a better way to do something the coaches will get it done.

Now, if they could only be convinced to punt less, that would be something.

TransAmBison
06-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Now, if they could only be convinced to punt less, that would be something.
20-2 in two years. Hard to argue with the decisions made.

bisonaudit
06-03-2008, 08:19 PM

Winning does cover up a lot of mistakes.

TransAmBison
06-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Winning does cover up a lot of mistakes.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I would guess along that logic that losing uncovers correct decisions!! :D

westnodak93bison
06-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Not trying to be Mr. Monday Morning QB here but did anyone else think the middle deep pass was wide open in the final game against SDSU?

BisonNeil
06-03-2008, 11:47 PM
My question is what are they go doing to with Mertens running ability? He had something like 1860 yards and 45 tds at EGF and if you watched him during his brief stint on the basketball team you could tell he was definitely athletic. With our depth at QB I'm sure Bohl won't want Mertens running around too much but it should be interesting to see if his legs will add a new dynamic to the offense.

I agree, with the lack of experience/depth at QB I doubt there will be many prescribed running plays for Nick.

However, I think his athleticism will allow him to escape pressure more when the pocket collapses. When Walker ran, it would be for a few yards, occasionally for a first down. I suspect with Mertens those few yards could end up being big gains. If you remember last year the escapability of the QBs for our first two opponents gave our D fits. You can get tired chasing an elusive QB. I think Mertens could do the same against opposing Ds.

Bison_Backer
06-04-2008, 01:03 AM
Well I was hoping the bison would add some option to their power and Iso game. Take Advantage of some runners that can attack the perimeter.

Perles has done a greta job and Vigen has tailored the pass game to the WR's strengths so I can't see us faltering much this year.

X-Factor
06-04-2008, 01:12 AM

Very true. And to top it off, I think the new Wake Forest punt formation would have saved one of those two losses. I can't wait for fall.

Bison_Backer
06-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Well i Still think we are goign to have one of the most explosive offenses in our league.