PDA

View Full Version : New LB JC transfer!

Gully
06-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Check out in-forum.com

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=203672&section=sports

Sounds like a good prospect to play right away. I'm not sure why he left Georgia Southern....hopefully we'll learn more in tomorrow's edition.

lakesbison
06-02-2008, 10:31 PM
HELL YA!!

GOTTA LOVE THE TRANSFERS.. FLORIDA, AUBURN you say????

http://www.iccac.org/20072008/fb/20072008fbCollege%20of%20DuPageWebstats.php

100 tackles in 10 games in 2007 !

tjbison
06-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Looking good!! DEPTH, DEPTH, DEPTH! oh yeah sounds like he's got Talent also! Welcome to the Bison Fred:nod:

ThunderDan
06-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Seems a bit heavy at 250...i know Mays was close to that, but he was a freak of nature and it was all muscle...

AEBison1998
06-03-2008, 12:07 AM
He has pretty good speed though. If he was an option QB in high school he must be able to move well enough.

I found this site where there was a midwest combine for some JC's. Maybe we had some coaches there that found him. If so, I hope they at least took a shot at Kris Cooke. It looks like he has his eyes on Wisconsin but you never know. It would be nice to add some more numbers to the interior DL since we had two guys back out last Feb. at the 11th hour.

http://georgia.scout.com/a.z?s=135&p=2&c=759102

Bison101
06-03-2008, 12:40 AM
One word: Starter. :nod: :nod: :nod:

westnodak93bison
06-03-2008, 01:46 AM
What kind of defense did his team run? How fast can an ILB pickup our schemes?

Bisonguy
06-03-2008, 03:20 AM

Two words: Splitback Veer. :D

Put him back at QB, and we'd be looking at a 730 pound backfield, with Roehl being the smallest guy at 232 pounds.

Bison Dan
06-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Looks like we'll have a great fall camp at ILB this year. Henry and Fred should be playing at a high level for the starting job.

OldBison
06-03-2008, 01:32 PM

I dunno. With a healthy T Henry and his experience with the system, I think he will be tough to unseat. I'm thinking a great quality backup, which would be a bonus because it allows Anderson to go back to his natural position at OLB with Maresh.

Someone on one of these threads posed the question about how many in the two deep chart will actually contribute rather than simply being a name on a list. Having Bussey at MLB, starter or backup, with Maresh/Anderson and Humber/Kittelson means that against teams like WY the linebackers can get a blow and stay fresh. Me thinks it is likely we have that kind of depth in the defensive backfield as well. I think this will be huge as the season progresses with players staying fresher and getting less banged up as the Herd makes its stampede through the playoffs. (oops, got ahead of myself, sorry:banghead:)

I am also thinking it would have been nice to have gotten one of those 300 pounder DTs as well to back up Fairbairn at nosepeg. I like our four starters on DL, but the "true" depth here is a bit of an unknown to me. Not saying we don't have depth, just saying I don't know or have a feel for it.

Bison bison
06-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Henry did just fine when Mays was out late last season.

[edit] just checked- 12 tackles against Southern Utah.

90BISON
06-03-2008, 02:52 PM

Put him back at QB, and we'd be looking at a 730 pound backfield, with Roehl being the smallest guy at 232 pounds.

Would that be awesome to see as a little wrinkle in our offensive scheme. "The Freight Train Veer". You would have corner backs that would break out in night sweats hoping we never run it against their team.:D The combo of this guy as an option QB, with Roehl and Jangula or Vandal. It gives me chills.

Bison"FANatic"
06-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Its great to add depth!!. It will help keep the redshirts on the freshmen when injuries occur and let them trade their worst year for a great 5th year hopefully.

CaBisonFan
06-03-2008, 03:21 PM
I dunno. With a healthy T Henry and his experience with the system, I think he will be tough to unseat. I'm thinking a great quality backup, which would be a bonus because it allows Anderson to go back to his natural position at OLB with Maresh.

Someone on one of these threads posed the question about how many in the two deep chart will actually contribute rather than simply being a name on a list. Having Bussey at MLB, starter or backup, with Maresh/Anderson and Humber/Kittelson means that against teams like WY the linebackers can get a blow and stay fresh. Me thinks it is likely we have that kind of depth in the defensive backfield as well. I think this will be huge as the season progresses with players staying fresher and getting less banged up as the Herd makes its stampede through the playoffs. (oops, got ahead of myself, sorry:banghead:)

I am also thinking it would have been nice to have gotten one of those 300 pounder DTs as well to back up Fairbairn at nosepeg. I like our four starters on DL, but the "true" depth here is a bit of an unknown to me. Not saying we don't have depth, just saying I don't know or have a feel for it.

I agree. Against the spread offenses especially, the depth that you mentioned is almost mandatory.

FarSouth Bison
06-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Not sure if I miss it, but how many years does he have left?

tjbison
06-03-2008, 11:24 PM
I would think 2, I believe it stated that he was with Georgia Southern for 2 seasons????:hide:

AEBison1998
06-04-2008, 03:11 AM
Not sure if I miss it, but how many years does he have left?

I was wondering the same thing. I think it said that there were two coaching changes he went through. But I didn't know if that meant the guy who recruited him and then another guy...or two guys while he was there.

AEBison1998
06-04-2008, 03:15 AM
Found it. Looks like he was the class of 2005 in high school. So he must have been at Georgia Southern for two years (redshirted one) and then one at the JC. So he likely has two years left.

lakesbison
06-04-2008, 05:41 AM
kid was in town last saturday and had lunch with couple coaches.. and an ex ndsu player friend of mine said he swore it was joe mays with the coaches, but when was introduced to Fred.. he said WHOA., its Joe May's clone!!

dude probably will start, kid is S O L I D M U S C L E!... and confident... which is a great sign.

Ferd
06-04-2008, 02:51 PM
kid was in town last saturday and had lunch with couple coaches.. and an ex ndsu player friend of mine said he swore it was joe mays with the coaches, but when was introduced to Fred.. he said WHOA., its Joe May's clone!!

Was that lunch at Granite City Sunday morning?

westnodak93bison
06-04-2008, 03:06 PM
How many scholarships do we have left? If we give this guy and/or the DE from WI a scholly does someone else lose a scholly to make room for 1 or both of these guys?

roadwarrior
06-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I highly doubt anyone here knows the scholarship situation. Since the football scholarships can be partials, there is a lot flexibility given to the coaches.

Flintstone
06-04-2008, 04:14 PM
I believe the kid from WI is going to be a senior next year. He is class of 2009.

lakesbison
06-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Ferd...BW3 Saturday and Granite City sunday. *wink*

Bison"FANatic"
06-04-2008, 09:37 PM
I sure hope he doesn't come with to much baggage. I guess the coaches must have faith that he will not be getting in trouble as he did down at Georgia Southern per AGS. I sure would hate for us to be in the shoes of the team up north. For us to bring him in he must have turned things around and I hope they stay that way. I wish him the best and hope he turns out to be a stand up young man and a great player for the Bison! Make us proud on and off the field.

BisonNeil
06-04-2008, 10:49 PM
With all due respect to all of you who think this guy is going to come in and displace Tyler Henry as starting MLB, I say "not a chance in hell", unless TH doesn't recover from his injury. This is a solid backup, nothing more. If he was as good as some of you think he would have been signed in Feb by SOMEBODY when most other JUCOs were signed. You're simply putting the cart before the horse on this deal and not giving Tyler the respect he deserves, he is a player and he knows the Tampa 2. You all have no idea what D this guy has played in. That does not mean he isn't badly needed for depth, however.

For those concerned about him as a good kid and team player, I think it is safe to say that everyone Bohl has brought in from the JUCO route have been solid, upstanding people. I think Bohl is very selective, personality-wise and morality-wise, when he goes JUCO. I have no concerns about Bussey.

Jdubs21
06-05-2008, 12:33 AM
welcome fred!

AEBison1998
06-05-2008, 04:08 AM
I sure hope he doesn't come with to much baggage. I guess the coaches must have faith that he will not be getting in trouble as he did down at Georgia Southern per AGS. I sure would hate for us to be in the shoes of the team up north. For us to bring him in he must have turned things around and I hope they stay that way. I wish him the best and hope he turns out to be a stand up young man and a great player for the Bison! Make us proud on and off the field.

Pat Paschall would have been a freshman with this guy at Georgia Southern. Pat should have been able to give the coaches some idea of what kind of a guy he was. I bet he is going to be just fine.

jeffdaryl3rd
06-05-2008, 04:46 AM
I'll bet this guy sees significant time in the middle and strongside, but I think our returning guys have their starting spots locked up unless they play their way out of them. Can never have too many LB's especially against those spread attacks we seemed to struggle so much against last year.

Bison"FANatic"
06-05-2008, 01:51 PM
We are going to need to be deep at 7200 ft to. I agree that the current LB's more than likely have their spots locked up but it is always good to have a bunch of back ups in place pushing the starters making them better.

bisonmike2
06-05-2008, 02:35 PM
With all due respect to all of you who think this guy is going to come in and displace Tyler Henry as starting MLB, I say "not a chance in hell", unless TH doesn't recover from his injury. This is a solid backup, nothing more. If he was as good as some of you think he would have been signed in Feb by SOMEBODY when most other JUCOs were signed. You're simply putting the cart before the horse on this deal and not giving Tyler the respect he deserves, he is a player and he knows the Tampa 2. You all have no idea what D this guy has played in. That does not mean he isn't badly needed for depth, however.

For those concerned about him as a good kid and team player, I think it is safe to say that everyone Bohl has brought in from the JUCO route have been solid, upstanding people. I think Bohl is very selective, personality-wise and morality-wise, when he goes JUCO. I have no concerns about Bussey.

I think most people here understand that he's not going to be annointed the starter just because he comes highly touted. He'll earn his place like everyone else. Plus there is one thing we always need and that's depth.

1bizon1
06-05-2008, 08:33 PM

Me like this idea!

TransAmBison
06-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Me like this idea!
I would be in heaven if we went back to the veer. Sadly, I don't think that day will ever come.

SDbison
06-05-2008, 08:56 PM
I would be in heaven if we went back to the veer. Sadly, I don't think that day will ever come.
TransAm you are living in the past and you are not even that old!

SDbison
06-05-2008, 08:59 PM
OK, maybe you could convince me as long as Bison complete dominance came with the change back to the veer. All I remember is most every play resulted in a 7 or 8 yard gain and once every 5 or 6 plays there would be a gain of about 20 yards.

TransAmBison
06-05-2008, 09:00 PM
TransAm you are living in the past and you are not even that old!
Can't help it, I love option football.

met1990
06-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Can't help it, I love option football.

I'm with you. The only worthwhile thing I remember from Ed Schultz was his description of the Bison offense: "Once it gets rolling, it will first down you to death." I imagine opponents had the same feeling I had last year watching Rhett Bomar convert every third down while driving down the field.

99Bison
06-05-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm with you. The only worthwhile thing I remember from Ed Schultz was his description of the Bison offense: "Once it gets rolling, it will first down you to death." I imagine opponents had the same feeling I had last year watching Rhett Bomar convert every third down while driving down the field.

Yes, the dishearting effect of being eaten alive by a steady beating was great to watch.

THEsocalledfan
06-06-2008, 12:14 AM

And, even more sadly, we will never see TransAm Bison punch out any more light fixtures at NDSU. Great traditions are like the veer and the glory days of TransAm are both dead I am afraid.

TransAmBison
06-06-2008, 02:42 AM
And, even more sadly, we will never see TransAm Bison punch out any more light fixtures at NDSU. Great traditions are like the veer and the glory days of TransAm are both dead I am afraid.
That light had been asking for it for weeks. :fight:

stevdock
06-06-2008, 02:59 AM

Hey we might have to do this now that Brekke is leaving.

BisonNeil
06-06-2008, 03:40 PM
I read an interesting article last night in my Lindy's college football guide. The article was on James Laurinaitis, their pick for defensive player of the year.

The article starts by talking about how different his career path is from what he expected, since he was so lightly recruited out of Wayzata HS. Laurinaitis is quoted as saying "North Dakota State offered, South Dakota State offered, I could've been a North Dakota State Bison running around in green and yellow".

I can't even imagine what that would have been like. But then again, we wouldn't have seen Joe Mays play.

lakesbison
06-06-2008, 04:06 PM
WOW.. this needs a seperate thread!

roadwarrior
06-06-2008, 04:10 PM
A separate thread for someone that DID NOT come to NDSU? :confused:

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 04:16 PM
I read an interesting article last night in my Lindy's college football guide. The article was on James Laurinaitis, their pick for defensive player of the year.

The article starts by talking about how different his career path is from what he expected, since he was so lightly recruited out of Wayzata HS. Laurinaitis is quoted as saying "North Dakota State offered, South Dakota State offered, I could've been a North Dakota State Bison running around in green and yellow".

I can't even imagine what that would have been like. But then again, we wouldn't have seen Joe Mays play.

No way!? I had no idea NDSU even had a shot with this kid. Can you imagine Joe Mays and Laurinaitis on the field at the same time?

Bisontug
06-06-2008, 04:45 PM
No way!? I had no idea NDSU even had a shot with this kid. Can you imagine Joe Mays and Laurinaitis on the field at the same time?

C'mon.... Do you really think we had a shot at Laurinaitis ?? So if I send a letter to NASA, can I say I had a shot at being an astronaut ?? This rain needs to clear up so we can all get out and breathe some fresh air... :banghead:

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 04:49 PM
C'mon.... Do you really think we had a shot at Laurinaitis ?? So if I send a letter to NASA, can I say I had a shot at being an astronaut ?? This rain needs to clear up so we can all get out and breathe some fresh air... :banghead:

Well we were on his radar enough for him to be quoted in a national sports publication that he could have went here. It would be the equivalent of me reading the NASA montly news letter and the head of NASA being quoted as saying: "We really liked Bisontug, but ultimately we went with Neil Armstrong to lead the missions."

Bisontug
06-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Well we were on his radar enough for him to be quoted in a national sports publication that he could have went here. It would be the equivalent of me reading the NASA montly news letter and the head of NASA being quoted as saying: "We really liked Bisontug, but ultimately we went with Neil Armstrong to lead the missions."

First time for everything.... my name and Neil Armstrong in the same sentence... :nod:

Thanks Bisonmike.....

Maybe he would've shown up to campus with his dad's shoulder pads and face paint from his Road Warrior days with some Ironman playing in the background.... That would have been sweet !!!!