PDA

View Full Version : Zach Wentz

RedRiver
06-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Football preferred walk-on recruit Zach Wentz of Bismarck Century pitched a four-hit shut out with 14 strike-outs in the first round of the state Class A tournament.

Zach was named to the Class A All-tournament team and was also chosen as the Class A senior athlete of the year.

sambini
06-03-2008, 03:54 AM
Is he going to try a little baseball?

ndsubison1
06-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Is he going to try a little baseball?

yes he is. he will most likely be in the starting rotation next year.

OldBison
06-03-2008, 01:35 PM
yes he is. he will most likely be in the starting rotation next year.

That's too bad, IMHO. Missing spring practice will hurt his development at QB. I personally think he could have competed for the starting QB after Mertens graduates but his going the pitching route definitely gives Mohler a leg up.

ndsubison1
06-03-2008, 06:09 PM
That's too bad, IMHO. Missing spring practice will hurt his development at QB. I personally think he could have competed for the starting QB after Mertens graduates but his going the pitching route definitely gives Mohler a leg up.

I think he will help the baseball team more than the football team. In my opinion I think he will end up just playing baseball. But you never know.

Bison bison
06-03-2008, 06:13 PM
either way, glad he's a Bison!

sambini
06-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Welcome Zach and good luck++

Bisonguy
06-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Nice to see another Bison dual sport student-athlete!!

Welcome, Zach!!!

4mcruenomore
06-04-2008, 03:38 AM
I still have no doubt that Zach will make a great QB

lakesbison
06-04-2008, 04:19 AM
Zach will be a baseball star at NDSU ala Laber..

Jose is the future NDSU QB. . . .

sambini
06-04-2008, 04:43 AM
I remember a walkon from Century that turned out to be a National Champion. All American Ken Clark safety was a walkon played on the 88 and 90 teams. One tough, smart, and hard nosed player.

90BISON
06-04-2008, 04:20 PM
I remember a walkon from Century that turned out to be a National Champion. All American Ken Clark safety was a walkon played on the 88 and 90 teams. One tough, smart, and hard nosed player.

Played several games in 90?, with a cast on one hand, might have been in the playoffs. Pound for pound probably hit harder than anybody on the D at that time, kind of a smaller version of Joe Mays.:D

BisonNeil
06-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Jose is the future NDSU QB. . . .

I don't know if that is true.

Yes, Mohler can fling the rock, but damn, he's less than 6' tall. I'm not a fan of short QBs, and they make me nervous, I'm not sure why.

I have a very close friend I went to collegewith, he played QB in college (4 yr starter, try out with the Giants) who coached at Century for years as the OC. He still goes to games. He said Wentz is the real deal and one heck of an athlete. Very smart, heady player. He was shocked he turned down scholarships to play at NDSU and even more surprised that the Bison didn't offer one. He says if Wentz wants to be the starter as a Soph, he will be the starter, and I respect his opinion.

But, going the baseball route his first spring practice will obviously hamper that goal and could be interpreted as meaning Wentz wants baseball more than the QB job.

But, I for one am going to have to be damn impressed with a 5'10"-5'11" QB to pencil him in as the automatic starter at this point in time, despite being able to toss it 70 yds. More to being a QB than simply being able to throw it a long way. Tavarius Jackson comes to mind.

westnodak93bison
06-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Has any other Bison been able to be successful playing baseball and football
at the same time? Kind of hard to be in two places at the same time.

Jdubs21
06-05-2008, 12:36 AM
great job zach!

56BISON73
06-05-2008, 01:00 AM

Tim Mjos comes to mind. PL

ndsubison1
06-05-2008, 01:18 AM
I don't know if that is true.

Yes, Mohler can fling the rock, but damn, he's less than 6' tall. I'm not a fan of short QBs, and they make me nervous, I'm not sure why.

I have a very close friend I went to collegewith, he played QB in college (4 yr starter, try out with the Giants) who coached at Century for years as the OC. He still goes to games. He said Wentz is the real deal and one heck of an athlete. Very smart, heady player. He was shocked he turned down scholarships to play at NDSU and even more surprised that the Bison didn't offer one. He says if Wentz wants to be the starter as a Soph, he will be the starter, and I respect his opinion.

But, going the baseball route his first spring practice will obviously hamper that goal and could be interpreted as meaning Wentz wants baseball more than the QB job.

But, I for one am going to have to be damn impressed with a 5'10"-5'11" QB to pencil him in as the automatic starter at this point in time, despite being able to toss it 70 yds. More to being a QB than simply being able to throw it a long way. Tavarius Jackson comes to mind.

Wentz is a very good athlete, it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up being the QB here in a few years, but I really doubt he will continue to play both football and baseball, although some still do it. Florida's backup QB a couple of years ago was the starting LF a few years ago and one of LSU's starting OF's this year was their starting SS. So you never know, but if I have to choose one sport for Wentz it has to be baseball. He is a phenominal pitcher and can play many positions. A lot could depend on playing time and a scholarship offer, it isn't a guarantee that he will get offered a scholly for football, but I am 99% positive he will end up getting one for baseball. Plus he won't be playing at all his first year of football and he has a great chance to start as a freshman on the baseball team and will most likely be in the starting rotation, so that will take some time away from football. Anyway, I wish the best for Zach and what ever works best for him and most importantly I am glad he is a Bison!

AEBison1998
06-05-2008, 02:09 AM

I think Kole Zimmerman played baseball and was MLB. Good linebacker.

99Bison
06-05-2008, 03:51 AM
The original article on Wentz said for the first year was probably going to try out both sports and see where it goes from there, with FB being RS and BB playing right away probably.

Obviously football season is first in the fall, so if that looks all great he still has the option to not do BB...

Really sounds like keeping options open is the plan right now, can't argue with that really.

jeffdaryl3rd
06-05-2008, 03:22 PM

Kole Zimmerman was a four year starter for both squads and was a major contributor.

lakesbison
06-05-2008, 03:37 PM
wasnt scott swanson back in mid 90's doing both? or am I confusing him with someone else.

Bison53
06-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Right on. He always missed spring ball, too.
Was pretty good, don't know if he tried minors or not.

Hammersmith
06-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Small point: No matter whether football or baseball is his major sport, if he participates in both and gets a scholarship, it counts against football and never against baseball.

BisonNeil
06-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Small point: No matter whether football or baseball is his major sport, if he participates in both and gets a scholarship, it counts against football and never against baseball.

Interesting point, I did not know that.

Baseball only has five scholarships, I think, so that is unlikely to happen. My guess players earn those after years of productivity.

d3boys
06-06-2008, 02:14 PM
with brekke leaving he has a great shot at backup
play football

lakesbison
06-06-2008, 02:15 PM
JOSE!! ZACH'S FUTURE IS BASEBALL.. and the MINOR LEAGUES.

d3boys
06-06-2008, 02:19 PM
hes in college now enjoy the pride of north dakota

4mcruenomore
06-06-2008, 02:23 PM
There are good athletes from ND, seems like some people hate to recognize this. Mainly people that went to NDSU but are from MN maybe? Not trying to start a pissing match, but I've noticed this pattern since my first day back in 1994, IMHO.
But, I am looking forward to both young kids suiting up, and stepping up especially now.

bisonmike2
06-06-2008, 05:23 PM
There are good athletes from ND, seems like some people hate to recognize this. Mainly people that went to NDSU but are from MN maybe? Not trying to start a pissing match, but I've noticed this pattern since my first day back in 1994, IMHO.
But, I am looking forward to both young kids suiting up, and stepping up especially now.

Not only that but great goods can turn medicore talent into great football players. I'm not saying Zach is mediocre moreso that we have a great coaching staff that will be able to develope him into a fine football player.

BraxtonT
06-06-2008, 09:30 PM
With Mitch Brekke's defection, will Zach be in line for scholarship money?

Would it be wise for NDSU to offer him some or would NDSU be better off keeping things as is, having him be a preferred walk-on?

BisonNeil
06-06-2008, 11:30 PM
With Mitch Brekke's defection, will Zach be in line for scholarship money?

Would it be wise for NDSU to offer him some or would NDSU be better off keeping things as is, having him be a preferred walk-on?

According to WDAY Sports tonight, Bohl already has several leads for FBS transfers and JUCOs. They are the most likely receipients of Brecke's scholarship.

FarSouth Bison
06-07-2008, 01:40 PM
I know that Zach is a baseball player and is more than likely playing Legion ball, my question is can the Bison coaches ask him to come to Fargo this summer and workout with Mertens and the other players to speed up the learning curve?

ndsubison1
06-09-2008, 04:45 AM
I know that Zach is a baseball player and is more than likely playing Legion ball, my question is can the Bison coaches ask him to come to Fargo this summer and workout with Mertens and the other players to speed up the learning curve?

Yeah he is playing legion ball, I have no idea if they can ask him to come or not or if that's his decision

aces1180
06-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah he is playing legion ball, I have no idea if they can ask him to come or not or if that's his decision

If he left early, he would be abandoning his team...Something which put the Bison in this bind in the first place.

lakesbison
06-09-2008, 02:55 PM
JOSE is coming soon.

BisonNeil
06-10-2008, 01:10 AM
JOSE is coming soon.

There is flat ass no way Jose is going to make a contribution this year unless

a) Bohl can't find a Juco or FBS transfer

b) Mertens and the 2nd stringer get hurt

I'm not doubting the kid is talented, I just seriously doubt he is so talented and so smart that he can have an impact as a true freshman.

If you want to wager on Jose does this year, I suggest we pick an amount and get somebody trustworth,y like Road or Burgundy, to hold the money until the season is over.

If that is unacceptable, please close your pie hole about Jose and the second coming of a savior.

TransAmBison
06-10-2008, 01:56 AM
There is flat ass no way Jose is going to make a contribution this year unless

a) Bohl can't find a Juco or FBS transfer

b) Mertens and the 2nd stringer get hurt

I'm not doubting the kid is talented, I just seriously doubt he is so talented and so smart that he can have an impact as a true freshman.

If you want to wager on Jose does this year, I suggest we pick an amount and get somebody trustworth,y like Road or Burgundy, to hold the money until the season is over.

If that is unacceptable, please close your pie hole about Jose and the second coming of a savior.Ha, ha, ha, ha...Road=trustworthy????!!! He'd blow the money on loose women and cheap cigars!!!:D *

*Seriously though, I want in on this. I'll bet against almost anything Lakes proposes! :D

Scooter1
06-10-2008, 09:28 AM
So, what if Bohl does find a FBS transfer and that kid just happens to be Brewster from U of M? The kid is not going to want to sit for a year (which is what he will be forced to do if goes to a FBS school) The word is that he may be the odd man out at the U of M. His dad knows that NDSU is a good program and he will have the opportunity to contribute right away. This looks like a good fit for Brewster and NDSU. Besides, I want the opportunity to run the "Brady Bunch" fake playbook trick on his dad the next time we play.:)

bisonmike2
06-10-2008, 02:30 PM
So, what if Bohl does find a FBS transfer and that kid just happens to be Brewster from U of M? The kid is not going to want to sit for a year (which is what he will be forced to do if goes to a FBS school) The word is that he may be the odd man out at the U of M. His dad knows that NDSU is a good program and he will have the opportunity to contribute right away. This looks like a good fit for Brewster and NDSU. Besides, I want the opportunity to run the "Brady Bunch" fake playbook trick on his dad the next time we play.:)

No way lil' Brewster ends up at NDSU. I know nothing about the kid's character but if he has an ego just 1/100th the size of his dad's than he will consider himself too "Big Time" for NDSU. He had offers at other FBS's and he's only a redshirt freshman, I wouldn't be surprised if he sat a year and transfered to another FBS school.

Bison Dan
06-10-2008, 03:00 PM
No way lil' Brewster ends up at NDSU. I know nothing about the kid's character but if he has an ego just 1/100th the size of his dad's than he will consider himself too "Big Time" for NDSU. He had offers at other FBS's and he's only a redshirt freshman, I wouldn't be surprised if he sat a year and transfered to another FBS school.

If you can't win the job at MN then you aren't that good. 4 star? Joke!

bisonmike2
06-10-2008, 03:09 PM
If you can't win the job at MN then you aren't that good. 4 star? Joke!

How good he is and how good he thinks he is are two different things.

Scooter1
06-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Of course, the Brewster senerio was just a "what if" speculation but...Wow, sometimes I just don't get some of you guys. Not very long ago there was a player who was thinking of transferring from the U of M by the name of Potter, a pretty damn good high school football player. This discussion thread on Potter got so long and riduculous that it finally got locked. Potter, who has not played a down and is also comming off an injury had a lot of posters salivating. Now, let's fast forward to today and look at a U of M player who was a hell of a high school player getting offers from a few FBS schools and may be second guessing a descision he made. This kid is behind the eight ball no matter what. If he gets a shot at the U of M some will say that it is because of his dad. If he chooses to go somewhere else, the pressure of playing for your dad is gone but some will say that he didn't have the talent to play at the U of M. It appears that some think this kid is a joke simply because of who his dad is. Thank god I didn't judge my best friend in high school on who his dad was because he was the biggest horses ass I have met in my 40+ years on this earth.

Bison bison
06-10-2008, 08:30 PM
then you obviously haven't met my dad. :)

Bison_Pride
06-10-2008, 08:55 PM
According to the roster Zach Wentz is playing in this years Badlands Bowl on June 21st, it'll be fun to see how he plays against Montana's best. He's got excellent size, listed at 6-2, 205 lbs. he'll make Mohler look like a midget. He was injured his Jr. year, but had a great Senior year leading Century, which isn't usually a football power, to a 9-2 record. 2,227 yards passing and 21 td's, also ran for 371 yards. I don't know how his arm is, but since he was probably the best high school pitcher in North Dakota, I'd say it might be fair. Wentz is also very smart, he's one of the Valedictorians for Century, and a member of the 2008 National Honor Society (at least a 3.5 GPA). Mohler is highly regarded but so far he hasn't ever walked to 6am workouts in sub-zero weather or played 2,000 miles from home before. Hopefully it's a great competition.

Pat Pringle and Tim Jacobsen are assistant coaches with Century, so they have some NDSU connections there.

ndsubison1
06-10-2008, 10:05 PM
According to the roster Zach Wentz is playing in this years Badlands Bowl on June 21st, it'll be fun to see how he plays against Montana's best. He's got excellent size, listed at 6-2, 205 lbs. he'll make Mohler look like a midget. He was injured his Jr. year, but had a great Senior year leading Century, which isn't usually a football power, to a 9-2 record. 2,227 yards passing and 21 td's, also ran for 371 yards. I don't know how his arm is, but since he was probably the best high school pitcher in North Dakota, I'd say it might be fair. Wentz is also very smart, he's one of the Valedictorians for Century, and a member of the 2008 National Honor Society (at least a 3.5 GPA). Mohler is highly regarded but so far he hasn't ever walked to 6am workouts in sub-zero weather or played 2,000 miles from home before. Hopefully it's a great competition.

Pat Pringle and Tim Jacobsen are assistant coaches with Century, so they have some NDSU connections there.

He can fling a football that's for sure. Plus, he throws a baseball high 80's on the mound just to clarify.

westnodak93bison
06-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Badlands Bowl info

6/21/08
tail gate 4pm
game 6pm
Denton Field
Miles City, MT
Mountain Time Zone

http://www.badlandsbowl.com/2007_ND_roster.htm

2 Bison recruits
Reed Duchscher WR/SS 6'3 195 Rugby
Zach Wentz QB/LB 6'2 205 Bismarck Century

ndsubison1
06-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Badlands Bowl info

6/21/08
tail gate 4pm
game 6pm
Denton Field
Miles City, MT
Mountain Time Zone

http://www.badlandsbowl.com/2007_ND_roster.htm

2 Bison recruits
Reed Duchscher WR/SS 6'3 195 Rugby
Zach Wentz QB/LB 6'2 205 Bismarck Century

Anybody know why Josh Horner isn't playing?

Bison_Pride
06-10-2008, 10:17 PM
I think it was mentioned somewhere that Josh Horner was taking a church affiliated trip to Peru at the same time the Badlands Bowl is going on. Too bad for the team, but I'm sure that he'll get enough football in his system during the next 5 years.

AEBison1998
06-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Don't forget this guy as well.

89 Austin Vetter TE/DE 6'4 215 Bishop Ryan (Minot)

He's coming next year too.

westnodak93bison
06-10-2008, 11:11 PM
sorry I missed Mr. Vetter. Anyone know why Horner isnt playing?

SUBISON247
06-11-2008, 12:18 AM
sorry I missed Mr. Vetter. Anyone know why Horner isnt playing?

see above.

bisonpride2k
06-11-2008, 01:13 AM
If an ACC school like NC State can do it with their future quarterback with baseball, and an every day player at that not just a pitcher, there is no reason NDSU shouldnt be able to do it. I watched this guy play this weekend in the Super Regional. WOW what an athlete!

http://www.gopack.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=41945&SPID=3728&DB_OEM_ID=9200&ATCLID=1212976&Q_SEASON=2007

As far as two sport athletes with baseball here are a few that come to mind...
---Scott Swanson- Football (94-97) Baseball (95-98)- All conference baseball performer who was an exhibition invitee with the Redhawks.
---Kole Zimmerman- Football (02-05) baseball (04-08) football knee injury in 02 wiped out his 03 baseball season. Football shoulder and knee injury in 05 wiped out his 06 baseball season. Currently playing with the RedHawks.
---Marc Forbush- Basketball/Baseball- (2002) Relief pitcher who later transered for basketball to Wisconsin Parkside.
---Todd Fuller- Wrestling/baseball- (2001-2003) Left handed relief pitcher. 3 time national champ wrestler. Touched 90 from the left side. Won a national championship his junior year then 36 hours later joined the baseball team in florida to start and shut down DI Canisius.
---Wade Kittelson- Football (1998-2001) baseball (1999) Middle linebacker and Catcher. Forced to quit baseball to focus on football.
---Nick Schomer- Football (05-present) baseball (2006) Current starting Free Safety. Forced to quit baseball after freshman year. Not allowed to play during spring football. After his return from spring footbal he hit over .350 as an every day starter in the outfield and catcher the last 20 games. Entering the season he had not played organized baseball in a year and a half following his redshirt football season.

Hopefully Wentz will be allowed to continue his football AND baseball careers. Josh Fields at Oklahoma State found a way to be an every day baseball player and the starting quarterback there. If other major schools alot bigger then ours can do it there is no reason why we cant.

Side note- If football offers him a scholarship and he is on the baseball roster it counts towards baseballs maximum allowable scholies and vice versa. But we dont have to worry about baseball maxing that out anytime soon.

jeffdaryl3rd
06-11-2008, 03:42 AM
Tim Erickson also played a year of baseball as an outfielder after he got done playing WR for the football team. I also feel it should be pointed out that Fuller was primarily an outfielder, at least in 2003, even though he did make it onto the hill a few times.

DORMIE
06-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Josh will be playing only in the East West Shrine Game. He has a previous committment and will now be in the area for the Bad Lands Bowl Game.

OldBison
06-11-2008, 05:34 PM
If an ACC school like NC State can do it with their future quarterback with baseball, and an every day player at that not just a pitcher, there is no reason NDSU shouldnt be able to do it. I watched this guy play this weekend in the Super Regional. WOW what an athlete!

http://www.gopack.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=41945&SPID=3728&DB_OEM_ID=9200&ATCLID=1212976&Q_SEASON=2007

As far as two sport athletes with baseball here are a few that come to mind...
---Scott Swanson- Football (94-97) Baseball (95-98)- All conference baseball performer who was an exhibition invitee with the Redhawks.
---Kole Zimmerman- Football (02-05) baseball (04-08) football knee injury in 02 wiped out his 03 baseball season. Football shoulder and knee injury in 05 wiped out his 06 baseball season. Currently playing with the RedHawks.
---Marc Forbush- Basketball/Baseball- (2002) Relief pitcher who later transered for basketball to Wisconsin Parkside.
---Todd Fuller- Wrestling/baseball- (2001-2003) Left handed relief pitcher. 3 time national champ wrestler. Touched 90 from the left side. Won a national championship his junior year then 36 hours later joined the baseball team in florida to start and shut down DI Canisius.
---Wade Kittelson- Football (1998-2001) baseball (1999) Middle linebacker and Catcher. Forced to quit baseball to focus on football.
---Nick Schomer- Football (05-present) baseball (2006) Current starting Free Safety. Forced to quit baseball after freshman year. Not allowed to play during spring football. After his return from spring footbal he hit over .350 as an every day starter in the outfield and catcher the last 20 games. Entering the season he had not played organized baseball in a year and a half following his redshirt football season.

Hopefully Wentz will be allowed to continue his football AND baseball careers. Josh Fields at Oklahoma State found a way to be an every day baseball player and the starting quarterback there. If other major schools alot bigger then ours can do it there is no reason why we cant.

Side note- If football offers him a scholarship and he is on the baseball roster it counts towards baseballs maximum allowable scholies and vice versa. But we dont have to worry about baseball maxing that out anytime soon.

I think many of you are missing the point that was orginally made regarding Wentz playing both football and baseball. There is no question others have done it and there is likely no question that Wentz can do it also.

The point made was that if Wentz plays baseball next spring, it will likely put him behind Mohler in the competition to be the backup and the next starter after Mertens is done with his eligibility. From the names and dates given above, the trend is that most play baseball later in their college career, after they have been through their first spring practice or two. No player recruited for football played baseball his first year or two. NO ONE! That should tell us all something.

So the point that was initially made is still valid. Wentz would give up a lot of his future opportunities in football if he plays baseball in the spring of 2009, assuming of course that he does not participate in spring football drills. I have heard from friends in WND, as several others have, that Wentz is a hell of an athlete and a hell of a QB. And with all due respect to the venerable Lakes, I don't think the competition level means squat. A player is a player, regardless of the level. Wentz can play, he is athletic, and he is very intelligent. Wentz sounds like a good QB candidate to me. A diamond in the rough, perhaps, that needs spring football to hone his skills