PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Jackson, one of the Michigan recruits

tony
06-01-2008, 08:46 PM
I was looking to see how Kevin Jackson was doing in track and saw that he won three events (100, 110 hurdles, and 200) - all in meet record times (two of his times were faster than the the state record times in North Dakota) at the MITCA state meet (whatever that is). Then in what I think is the "real" state meet, they put him in almost all different events: the 110 hurdles, the high jump, and two relays and he ended up with two first place finishes, one second, and a third - with three of his times being fast enough to be North Dakota all-class records. Let's see: He's extremely fast and can jump - nice tools for a safety to have, you'd think.

Edit: the Kevin Jackson who placed in the high jump was from a different school and his time in the 100 was not fast enough to be a ND state record.

BisonNeil
06-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Okay, I am officially impressed. Wow.

Do you have a link to this info? My boss is from that part of Meechigan and I would love to show him.

CaBisonFan
06-02-2008, 04:01 AM
I was looking to see how Kevin Jackson was doing in track and saw that he won three events (100, 110 hurdles, and 200) - all in meet record times (all three times were faster than the the state record times in North Dakota) at the MITCA state meet (whatever that is). Then in what I think is the "real" state meet, they put him in almost all different events: the 110 hurdles, the high jump, and two relays and he ended up with two first place finishes, one second, and a third - with three of his times being fast enough to be North Dakota all-class records. Let's see: He's extremely fast and can jump - nice tools for a safety to have, you'd think.

OK -- excuse me for this question -- but who is Kevin Jackson, and where is he from?

sambini
06-02-2008, 04:13 AM
Bison football recruit from Michigan .

lakesbison
06-02-2008, 04:16 AM
A TRUE FRESHMAN PLAYER THIS UP COMING YEAR.... dude is incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!1

westnodak93bison
06-02-2008, 12:48 PM
view the Michigan State Meet results at the link below, I threw in ND State records for comparison.

http://www.dyestat.com//?pg=reg4-2008-Outdoor-MI-Michigan-State-Meet-Division-I

Kevin placed
1st in the 400 relay 42.25, ND State Record 42.98
1st in the 1600 relay 3:20.56, ND State Record 3:21.81
3rd in the 110 hurdles 14.32, ND State Record 14.36
2nd in the 300 hurdles 38.42, ND State Record 37.77

His school, East Kentwood, won the 800 relay but participant names were not listed.

The Kevin Jackson that placed in the high jump is probably not our Kevin since he is from another school.

westnodak93bison
06-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Needless to say Kevin is an outstanding athlete and I would imagine coach Larson would like to have him on the track team.

tony
06-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Needless to say Kevin is an outstanding athlete and I would imagine coach Larson would like to have him on the track team.

Thanks for catching my mistakes.

Here's the other meet I was talking about - the MITCA state finals:

http://www.mlive.com/highschool/grpress/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1211696130213910.xml&coll=6

100 meters: 10.83
110 hurdles: 14.18 (North Dakota record 14.36)
200 meters: 21.66 (North Dakota record 21.83)

I'm pretty sure that Jackson just started hurdling this year - I think he was concentrating on the 400 last year!

TheBisonator
06-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Like Weston Dressler, only... Better??

NDSUstudent
06-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Like Weston Dressler, only... Better??

Yep, basically Weston Dressler with some size and maybe a little more speed.

tony
06-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Yep, basically Weston Dressler with some size and maybe a little more speed.

Well, if I had to choose between a proven student-athlete like Dressler and a guy with a lot of potential who has yet to set foot in the classroom or on the field, I'd probably go with the proven guy. Tough to compare a WR to a safety though. I definitely like Kevin Jackson's potential though.

Bison Dan
06-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Well, if I had to choose between a proven student-athlete like Dressler and a guy with a lot of potential who has yet to set foot in the classroom or on the field, I'd probably go with the proven guy. Tough to compare a WR to a safety though. I definitely like Kevin Jackson's potential though.

Forget about Dressler - Great athlete that went to the wrong school and then wonders why no NFL team noticed him. Even at our level one of the knocks is the level of competition. If Dressler's goal in life was to play for the NFL then he should have taken alittle more care in deciding where he went to college.

Herd
06-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Is your ability to get to the NFL any different at NDSU vs ND? No, it is not (don't kid yourself). Either way you have to prove yourself at the pro-day, senior bowls, and NFL camps. There is no easy path out of the state of ND.

Saying that Dressler had a better shot from NDSU than ND is not true at all. In reality, it's not much easier from MN (the bottom of the B10). Those are some bison-green glasses that some of you wear. I wear them most of the time, but not on this occaision.

Mr. Burgundy
06-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Yes, it is hard to be recognized out of the state of ND, however.....in the last 3-5 years, we have had a TON more exposure than UND in athletics. Did Tyler get any exposure for going for 250 plus against the Big 10? Yep. If a kid goes for 250 at D2....it is just another day in D2 athletics. They made the decision 5 years to late and the results show. The difference in recruiting classes last year was laughable. We will continue to take the best kids in ND and then our pick of kids in the region.

HerdBot
06-03-2008, 03:03 AM
Is your ability to get to the NFL any different at NDSU vs ND? No, it is not (don't kid yourself). Either way you have to prove yourself at the pro-day, senior bowls, and NFL camps. There is no easy path out of the state of ND.

Saying that Dressler had a better shot from NDSU than ND is not true at all. In reality, it's not much easier from MN (the bottom of the B10). Those are some bison-green glasses that some of you wear. I wear them most of the time, but not on this occaision.

Dressler would have had a better chance to make the NFL playing at NDSU. I don't think that is a homer statement at all. Division 1 is looked down upon but Division 2 is looked upon even lower. Sorry but in the eyes of a scout, competing against the likes of Minnesota and Central Michigan sure beats the hell out of Crookston and Minnesota Duluth. It's not a slam on UND. It's the truth.

Bisonguy
06-03-2008, 03:16 AM
My, oh my. This kid has some wheels!!

BlueBisonRock
06-03-2008, 04:05 AM
I am looking forward to watching Kevin as a Bison!

CarringtonBison
06-03-2008, 05:14 PM
++++++++++

Fightin' Bison
06-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Dressler would have had a better chance to make the NFL playing at NDSU. I don't think that is a homer statement at all. Division 1 is looked down upon but Division 2 is looked upon even lower. Sorry but in the eyes of a scout, competing against the likes of Minnesota and Central Michigan sure beats the hell out of Crookston and Minnesota Duluth. It's not a slam on UND. It's the truth.

I heard that if Dressler would have gone to NDSU, Lakes would have made him grow 6 inches and gain 60 lbs. He would have got drafted for sure!

You need to get real. 5'6" wide receivers don't get drafted from any school.

bisonmike2
06-03-2008, 06:40 PM
I heard that if Dressler would have gone to NDSU, Lakes would have made him grow 6 inches and gain 60 lbs. He would have got drafted for sure!

You need to get real. 5'6" wide receivers don't get drafted from any school.

Actually Dressler was 6'2" and 220 in high school but then he told Lakes that he was going to UND instead of NDSU so Lakes hit him so hard that he lost 8" in height and the resulting coma caused him to lose weight that he could never put back on.

NDSUstudent
06-03-2008, 06:41 PM

Looking back I think your right. Jackson is 6'1 and plays safety. They aren't the same player, both have great athletic ability but is probably as far as I would go with comparing the two.

With that said, I'm surprised a bigger school didn't go after Jackson. You would think that combination of speed and size would make him very attractive at DB, Jackson should be a very good addition to the defense.

d3boys
06-03-2008, 08:57 PM
view the Michigan State Meet results at the link below, I threw in ND State records for comparison.

http://www.dyestat.com//?pg=reg4-2008-Outdoor-MI-Michigan-State-Meet-Division-I

Kevin placed
1st in the 400 relay 42.25, ND State Record 42.98
1st in the 1600 relay 3:20.56, ND State Record 3:21.81
3rd in the 110 hurdles 14.32, ND State Record 14.36
2nd in the 300 hurdles 38.42, ND State Record 37.77

His school, East Kentwood, won the 800 relay but participant names were not listed.

The Kevin Jackson that placed in the high jump is probably not our Kevin since he is from another school.

I believe the 300 hurdles record is held by ryan chappell of und

Hambone
06-03-2008, 10:29 PM

Question for you - how does a guy like Brad Roach, QB out of Catawba and played the likes of Chowan, Mars Hill, Livingstone, Brevard, Lenoir-Rhyne, etc. get signed by Baltimore and Steve Walker, who had a hell of a career at NDSU and beat some really good teams, not get signed? This is nothing against Walker, but just a counter point to the thought that just for playing at NDSU instead of UND you have a better chance of getting a shot at the NFL....

westnodak93bison
06-03-2008, 10:41 PM
He is 6'6" 248lb, nfl is all about measurables. Yeah, you would think somebody would spend a few bucks and give Steve a shot.
I'm actually surprised Joe Mays got drafted. I figured he would get a free agent deal but not drafted. I think Philly made a good choice.

BisonNeil
06-03-2008, 11:53 PM

With that said I am quite certain that during the transition period UND put more players in the pros, that stuck, than NDSU. Snell and Hunt have banged around and not caught on anywhere for any period of time. Mustard stuck and is still with Denver, just to mention one. So, I don't think I can agree with you.

BisonNeil
06-03-2008, 11:57 PM
The difference in recruiting classes last year was laughable. We will continue to take the best kids in ND and then our pick of kids in the region.

God I hope you're right, but I think that is a very bold statement.

Certainly when all things were created equal, i.e., both DII, and after Hager left that was not true, Lennon got his fair share.

Today, with Bohl here and with what's his name at UND, I would agree. But, when Bohl leaves you never know what will happen. We could get another great coach, like say, Bob Babich (who if you noticed has successfully run the Chicago Bears vaunted D into the same rathole he ran the Bison program).

Scooter1
06-04-2008, 12:47 AM
God I hope you're right, but I think that is a very bold statement.

Certainly when all things were created equal, i.e., both DII, and after Hager left that was not true, Lennon got his fair share.

Today, with Bohl here and with what's his name at UND, I would agree. But, when Bohl leaves you never know what will happen. We could get another great coach, like say, Bob Babich (who if you noticed has successfully run the Chicago Bears vaunted D into the same rathole he ran the Bison program).
Dragosavich, Dahl, Mays, Walker, Safe, ...ect were all Babich recruits. Just wanted to give credit where credit is due. Apparently, I'm not the only one who gave him some credit since he not only got a job coaching at the highest level, but got promoted. The guy took his first team at NDSU to the playoffs, and another to the semifinals with a third string QB at the helm. I'd like to see any coach lose as many starters as he did his final year and go 8-2. My guess is that the 2-8 record would have still happened. I'm not saying that the time wasn't right for him to move on and get some new blood into the Bison program, hindsight shows that it was good for NDSU and for Babich. But give him credit for, at the very least, cleaning up the bullshit that Mr. Ralph Earl Hagar left for him.

Back on topic....Kevin Jackson looks like he's got all the tools. I do hope that he gets a chance to reshirt next year. We are deep, deep, deep in the secondary.

Mr. Burgundy
06-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Hambone, you are wondering why a 6'6 quarterback who is 250 lbs is getting a chance over Steve Walker? Are you serious? Umm....is it his size? Does he have a gun? Guys like that get a chance. D1 schools have a better chance to make the NFL than D2 schools. D2 schools have a better chance than D3 schools....this isn't hard people