PDA

View Full Version : The Mindset of a Major Recruit

CaBisonFan
05-31-2008, 07:10 AM
In this era of college football, it appears that a major recruit wants some type of guarantee that they are going to see significant playing time -- and early -- especially if the traditional powerhouse programs were really serious in their recruiting efforts. There seems to be so much at stake, in the minds of these young athletes. The dream of reaching the NFL has to be on the mind of most 3, 4, or 5 star recruits. So they want playing time -- no, they demand it.

As much fun as it is to follow the recruiting websites that project the abilities of an athlete, I don't see them being as brilliant as they'd like to think they are. Most of it isn't rocket science. If a kid is 6' 7", 310 lbs, and moves like a running back -- well, odds are pretty good that he could play most anywhere. The big recruits aren't hard to find. Still, the lists are fun to see, and it's fun to see where they're all going.

But even this type of player has problems to face if he enrolls at one of the powerhouse, historic universities. Take Nebraska, for example. They've had some big problems there, and there's no guarantee that they will rise to the top in the Big 12 for a while. There's no stability in Husker country.

In the case of a player from a lesser-populated region of the country, with less exposure, it would seem that going to one of these programs could be more than intimidating. The problem being that when you get there, odds are strong that you'll line up with many other recruits that have similar credentials. Still, if this young man has major raw ability, he'll overcome it if his work-ethic matches the intensity of the program.

The parity in college football that we're seeing has a lot to do with this, I believe. Players want playing time. It's simple. So when a 'Kansas' calls, a team that appears to be on the rise, the temptation is to choose the up and coming program over the historic one.

This is a problem at a place like Notre Dame and Nebraska. The historic nature of their tradition has become both a blessing & a curse. The expectations are so high that they can hardly be met, at least not consistently enough to keep the alumni happy. And Nebraska has a reputation for plucking big-time athletes from the upper midwest that often disappear into the depth chart. So what do many of the players get when they end up at a historic program, typically? They get upheaval, discontent from the fans, and coaching changes -- which translates into not knowing where you stand. There are the exceptions, of course. Who wouldn't pay attention if USC, Florida, or Ohio State called?

Stability 'is' in lesser-known programs that are striving to become powerhouses. In its own way, NDSU is one of those. It is the perfect setting, much as Boise State was a while back. We're not there, but the table is being set. It doesn't matter if it's not in the FBS. We're ready to make some real noise. Imagine -- a national championship game against App. State. How many of us would fly to that game?

If I were a big-time recruit from North Dakota I'd be more likely to look for a place that doesn't have the big 'REP.' I'd look for a Missouri, or a Kansas, or maybe even head west to a place like Oregon or Washington State. And if heading that far from home is a little too much to handle, then I'd look to a place like NDSU, where football is king, but still not as intense as heading into Cornhusker country.

Being a fan of the Bison, over any bigger program, I'd like to see a 3 or 4-star recruit choose NDSU at some point, but the odds are long. As many have written, the lure of the big-time is pretty powerful.

But if -- if -- in the distant future the Gateway & Missouri Valley melded into one all-sport conference, and made the move up together, I think that we could see the day where NDSU could land a major recruit from the region, someone that the 'bigs' wanted badly.

But for now, I'm more than happy to see some of our lesser-known recruits develop into outstanding college players, and more than happy to see the Bison go into a place like Central Michigan and make them wonder what happened. "Oh -- we really had a down day today. We didn't play our game." Right. We know the story. Ball State, Minnesota, and others have had their excuses.

Me -- I'll take Tyler Roehl and guys that give a darn like he does. He doesn't come off as the type of guy that 'expects' things to be handed to him. He runs like his life depends on it. And we have ma-ny players like that.

Big-time recruits, regardless of where they are from, make no difference to me at this point. If they come in 'expecting' to play, well, there is news in Bison country. The depth chart is getting deeper. It certainly appears that the Bison roster is full of players that could turn into something special. Collectively, the current roster has the opportunity to do something big.

Barring a rash of serious injuries at some of the key spots, I will re-state what 'will' happen in 2008:

Gateway co-champions in 2008. National title game with an insane finish that will remind us of the Troy State title game, for those of us who were born before that. It's not a prediction. It's a warranty. Take it to the bank.

Not smokin' nothin' tonight. Nope

It's the smog.

56BISON73
05-31-2008, 04:00 PM
CA Bison
Every player that is recruited is concerned about playing time. They can look at the depth chart and see who he will be competing with. Coaches as a rule NEVER guarantee playing time. But some do allude that the player may see playing time right away.
PL

CaBisonFan
05-31-2008, 06:39 PM
CA Bison
Every player that is recruited is concerned about playing time. They can look at the depth chart and see who he will be competing with. Coaches as a rule NEVER guarantee playing time. But some do allude that the player may see playing time right away.
PL

Even the walk-ons are concerned about playing time, but I believe that immediate (or after the redshirt year) playing time is a more intense issue with the blue-chippers, who believe that they will be in the NFL. I have a hard time believing that some schools, when desperate to land a major recruit, won't tell a player that they'll see action early. Allude is probably the right word to use however.

Your points are well taken.

BisonNeil
06-01-2008, 03:47 PM
As much fun as it is to follow the recruiting websites that project the abilities of an athlete, I don't see them being as brilliant as they'd like to think they are.

I couldn't agree with this statement more.

Mack Brown at Texas has had in most years, according to Rivals and Scout, a top 5 or at the least a top 10 recruiting class, yet their defense is in shambles and they aren't considered contenders for the B12 South championship. Lots of 4 and 5 star athletes. I'd say that those recruiting sites lack a lot to be desired.

With that said, Northern Iowa had a bunch of 3-star recruits last year, so maybe I am simply hoping the recruiting websites are wrong.

56BISON73
06-01-2008, 06:22 PM
One must remember that YES they are 4 and 5 star recruits OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL. Whether they develope in to 4 and 5 star players in college is another matter all together. Just as many big time college players dont develope into big time NFL players. PL

HerdBot
06-03-2008, 04:48 AM
In this era of college football, it appears that a major recruit wants some type of guarantee that they are going to see significant playing time -- and early -- especially if the traditional powerhouse programs were really serious in their recruiting efforts. There seems to be so much at stake, in the minds of these young athletes. The dream of reaching the NFL has to be on the mind of most 3, 4, or 5 star recruits. So they want playing time -- no, they demand it.

As much fun as it is to follow the recruiting websites that project the abilities of an athlete, I don't see them being as brilliant as they'd like to think they are. Most of it isn't rocket science. If a kid is 6' 7", 310 lbs, and moves like a running back -- well, odds are pretty good that he could play most anywhere. The big recruits aren't hard to find. Still, the lists are fun to see, and it's fun to see where they're all going.

But even this type of player has problems to face if he enrolls at one of the powerhouse, historic universities. Take Nebraska, for example. They've had some big problems there, and there's no guarantee that they will rise to the top in the Big 12 for a while. There's no stability in Husker country.

In the case of a player from a lesser-populated region of the country, with less exposure, it would seem that going to one of these programs could be more than intimidating. The problem being that when you get there, odds are strong that you'll line up with many other recruits that have similar credentials. Still, if this young man has major raw ability, he'll overcome it if his work-ethic matches the intensity of the program.

The parity in college football that we're seeing has a lot to do with this, I believe. Players want playing time. It's simple. So when a 'Kansas' calls, a team that appears to be on the rise, the temptation is to choose the up and coming program over the historic one.

This is a problem at a place like Notre Dame and Nebraska. The historic nature of their tradition has become both a blessing & a curse. The expectations are so high that they can hardly be met, at least not consistently enough to keep the alumni happy. And Nebraska has a reputation for plucking big-time athletes from the upper midwest that often disappear into the depth chart. So what do many of the players get when they end up at a historic program, typically? They get upheaval, discontent from the fans, and coaching changes -- which translates into not knowing where you stand. There are the exceptions, of course. Who wouldn't pay attention if USC, Florida, or Ohio State called?

Stability 'is' in lesser-known programs that are striving to become powerhouses. In its own way, NDSU is one of those. It is the perfect setting, much as Boise State was a while back. We're not there, but the table is being set. It doesn't matter if it's not in the FBS. We're ready to make some real noise. Imagine -- a national championship game against App. State. How many of us would fly to that game?

If I were a big-time recruit from North Dakota I'd be more likely to look for a place that doesn't have the big 'REP.' I'd look for a Missouri, or a Kansas, or maybe even head west to a place like Oregon or Washington State. And if heading that far from home is a little too much to handle, then I'd look to a place like NDSU, where football is king, but still not as intense as heading into Cornhusker country.

Being a fan of the Bison, over any bigger program, I'd like to see a 3 or 4-star recruit choose NDSU at some point, but the odds are long. As many have written, the lure of the big-time is pretty powerful.

But if -- if -- in the distant future the Gateway & Missouri Valley melded into one all-sport conference, and made the move up together, I think that we could see the day where NDSU could land a major recruit from the region, someone that the 'bigs' wanted badly.

But for now, I'm more than happy to see some of our lesser-known recruits develop into outstanding college players, and more than happy to see the Bison go into a place like Central Michigan and make them wonder what happened. "Oh -- we really had a down day today. We didn't play our game." Right. We know the story. Ball State, Minnesota, and others have had their excuses.

Me -- I'll take Tyler Roehl and guys that give a darn like he does. He doesn't come off as the type of guy that 'expects' things to be handed to him. He runs like his life depends on it. And we have ma-ny players like that.

Big-time recruits, regardless of where they are from, make no difference to me at this point. If they come in 'expecting' to play, well, there is news in Bison country. The depth chart is getting deeper. It certainly appears that the Bison roster is full of players that could turn into something special. Collectively, the current roster has the opportunity to do something big.

Barring a rash of serious injuries at some of the key spots, I will re-state what 'will' happen in 2008:

Gateway co-champions in 2008. National title game with an insane finish that will remind us of the Troy State title game, for those of us who were born before that. It's not a prediction. It's a warranty. Take it to the bank.

Not smokin' nothin' tonight. Nope

It's the smog.

I think we need to win and if playing a 4 star recruit as a true freshman gives us our best shot at winning than I'm all for it. The thing is it doesn't happen very often because our players are better than most people realize.

The strengh of this program is redshirting and developing players to be 2-3 year starters. Mix in a few juco's on the D-line to fill in a few spots. It's a proven formula. In time as we gain more depth with scholorships we are needing less Juco's.

Bohl has played a few players as true freshman. Didn't Frick and Dahl both play?

I think we will have more success going the FBS transfer route. After a few years of national success, we could be the team to land the Rhett Bomars of the world. We won't do it on climate so we'll have to do it on reputation. We need to get on TV, continue to sell out the dome, make the playoffs, and compete for a championship. There is no reason we can't be one of the main 3 teams transfers think of when D1-AA football is talked about.

silkamilkamonico
06-03-2008, 05:22 AM
Not sure if a 4 star prospect would ever end up at NDSU out of high school.

There's only a handful of 3 stars that end up going to FBS schools out of high school as it is.

BisonNeil
06-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Not sure if a 4 star prospect would ever end up at NDSU out of high school.

There's only a handful of 3 stars that end up going to FBS schools out of high school as it is.

If 8 is a handful (my guess 5 or less would be, but perhaps you are a mutant:) ), than you are right.

http://minnesotapreps.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?Year=2008&Page=5&PosType=0&Sort=0

[url]