PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Classes

BisonNeil
05-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Everyone on the 2008 version of the Bison were recruited by Bohl. This is his team from top to bottom.

Bohl said he thinks the 2008 incoming true freshmen class is the best he has brought to NDSU. That excited many of us but on the surface that might seem like a very bold claim, or is it?

With Jimmy Sharpe recently leaving it made me wonder how many previous classes produced players that either start or contribute versus those that left the team or were kicked off.

I classified players as starters or projected starters (S), backups who contribute (B*), backups (B) and the players who left the team or were kicked off (L). You may argue with some of the placements but regardless, here is what I came up with:

2004 Class (heralded as first IAA class)

Tyler Jangula- B*
Zach Harrington-S
ALex Belquist-S
Tyler Roehl-S
Jeremiah Wurzbacher-S
Nick Compton-S
Ryan Parsons-B*
Mike Maresh-S
Nick Schommer-S
Joe Lardinois-S
Kole Heckendorf-S
Michael Brower-B
James Septak-B* (projected starter)
Brian Jark-L
Brian Rabb-L
Rodney Thompson-S
Cory Cambell-B

2005 Recruits

Keith Buckman-S
Matt Kittelson-B*
Josh Lee-L
Kyle Belmont-S
Mitch Brecke-B
Tyler Henry-B* (projected starter)
Ramon Humber-S
Marcus Mailand-L
Nick Mertens-projected starter
Barry Quickstad-B
Bryan Reimers-L
Jordan Schultenover-B*
Gerry Ebel-B (projected starter?)
Ryan Schulttloffer-L
Mike Fairbairn-S
Deameatric Fowler-L
Richard BowmanII-S
Justin Cash-L
Jamar Champ-L
Courtney Mitchell-L (possible backup/starter?)
Ryan Foster-B* (projected starter)
Thor Brown-B*
Jared Hines-B*
Sam Laudner-L

2006 Recruits

Matt Anderson-B*(projected starter)
Michael Arndt-B (projected starter)
Landon Smith-B*
Lee Vandal-B
Shawn Bibeau-S
Matt Gratzek-S
Cyrus Lemon-B
Jimmy Sharpe-L
Chris Bigley-B
John Knepel-L
Matt Phillips-B
Chris Wellenstein-B
Derrius Colvin-B (projected starter)
Kevin Weeden-L
Gary Willliams-B* (projected starter)
Pete Blincoe-B*
Michael Brown-S
Christon Dallas- B*
Thomas Cambell-B

The 2004 class has produced 59% starters or projected starters and another 18% who have made significant contributions, for a total of 77%. That would seem really high and a great class, especially since only 13 percent left the team.

The 2005 class has produced 38% starters/projected starters, 13% who have made significant contributions on the field, for a total of 51%. That number could go higher but perhaps most troubling about this class is the attrition rate, a whooping 33%, 37% if you include Courtney Mitchell.

The 2006 class has produced at least 37% starters or projected starters, of course, it's a bit early yet to judge. Another 11% have contributed on the field. 16% of this years recruits have left the team. There is significant talent in this class.

The 2007 is still to early to judge, but there are some players already making some serious noise. Although its early, this appears to be a very good class and so far only about 10% have left the team (or were ineligible) since Melvin Thomas came back.

One could take it another step further and rate the starters who are downright stars in addition to just being a starter. In that case, the 2004 class really looks spiffy with the likes of Harrington, Roehl, Heckendorf, Lardinois, Maresh, Schommer and Wurzbacher. One has to wonder how good the Bison can be in the future if Bohl's proclaimed best recruiting class of 2008 can top that list.

KC Bison
05-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Wow. This is a super analysis of the recruiting classes.

sambini
05-30-2008, 02:42 AM
Well done Bison Neil+++

CaBisonFan
05-30-2008, 03:14 AM
Everyone on the 2008 version of the Bison were recruited by Bohl. This is his team from top to bottom.

Bohl said he thinks the 2008 incoming true freshmen class is the best he has brought to NDSU. That excited many of us but on the surface that might seem like a very bold claim, or is it?

With Jimmy Sharpe recently leaving it made me wonder how many previous classes produced players that either start or contribute versus those that left the team or were kicked off.

I classified players as starters or projected starters (S), backups who contribute (B*), backups (B) and the players who left the team or were kicked off (L). You may argue with some of the placements but regardless, here is what I came up with:

2004 Class (heralded as first IAA class)

Tyler Jangula- B*
Zach Harrington-S
ALex Belquist-S
Tyler Roehl-S
Jeremiah Wurzbacher-S
Nick Compton-S
Ryan Parsons-B*
Mike Maresh-S
Nick Schommer-S
Joe Lardinois-S
Kole Heckendorf-S
Michael Brower-B
James Septak-B* (projected starter)
Brian Jark-L
Brian Rabb-L
Rodney Thompson-S
Cory Cambell-B

2005 Recruits

Keith Buckman-S
Matt Kittelson-B*
Josh Lee-L
Kyle Belmont-S
Mitch Brecke-B
Tyler Henry-B* (projected starter)
Ramon Humber-S
Marcus Mailand-L
Nick Mertens-projected starter
Barry Quickstad-B
Bryan Reimers-L
Jordan Schultenover-B*
Gerry Ebel-B (projected starter?)
Ryan Schulttloffer-L
Mike Fairbairn-S
Deameatric Fowler-L
Richard BowmanII-S
Justin Cash-L
Jamar Champ-L
Courtney Mitchell-L (possible backup/starter?)
Ryan Foster-B* (projected starter)
Thor Brown-B*
Jared Hines-B*
Sam Laudner-L

2006 Recruits

Matt Anderson-B*(projected starter)
Michael Arndt-B (projected starter)
Landon Smith-B*
Lee Vandal-B
Shawn Bibeau-S
Matt Gratzek-S
Cyrus Lemon-B
Jimmy Sharpe-L
Chris Bigley-B
John Knepel-L
Matt Phillips-B
Chris Wellenstein-B
Derrius Colvin-B (projected starter)
Kevin Weeden-L
Gary Willliams-B* (projected starter)
Pete Blincoe-B*
Michael Brown-S
Christon Dallas- B*
Thomas Cambell-B

The 2004 class has produced 59% starters or projected starters and another 18% who have made significant contributions, for a total of 77%. That would seem really high and a great class, especially since only 13 percent left the team.

The 2005 class has produced 38% starters/projected starters, 13% who have made significant contributions on the field, for a total of 51%. That number could go higher but perhaps most troubling about this class is the attrition rate, a whooping 33%, 37% if you include Courtney Mitchell.

The 2006 class has produced at least 37% starters or projected starters, of course, it's a bit early yet to judge. Another 11% have contributed on the field. 16% of this years recruits have left the team. There is significant talent in this class.

The 2007 is still to early to judge, but there are some players already making some serious noise. Although its early, this appears to be a very good class and so far only about 10% have left the team (or were ineligible) since Melvin Thomas came back.

One could take it another step further and rate the starters who are downright stars in addition to just being a starter. In that case, the 2004 class really looks spiffy with the likes of Harrington, Roehl, Heckendorf, Lardinois, Maresh, Schommer and Wurzbacher. One has to wonder how good the Bison can be in the future if Bohl's proclaimed best recruiting class of 2008 can top that list.

Thanks Neil !! This is good stuff. :nod:

tony
05-30-2008, 05:39 AM
Nice post!

Minor correction: Jangula is a starter.

WRSDBison
05-30-2008, 03:39 PM
I thought Parsons left the team?

roadwarrior
05-30-2008, 04:21 PM
I thought Parsons left the team?

Yes, he graduated this spring. (should not count as leaving the team)

BisonNeil
05-30-2008, 06:42 PM

Parsons is listed as a B*, meaning he made significant contributions on the field. I don't know what list you were reading?

SlickVic
05-31-2008, 03:34 AM
Parsons is listed as a B*, meaning he made significant contributions on the field. I don't know what list you were reading?

what is your definition of a significant contribution?

BisonNeil
06-01-2008, 04:02 PM
what is your definition of a significant contribution?

Playing time, taking snaps before the game is decided.

Foster and Septak took 10-20 snaps a game, so they made a significant contribution. Ebel, Backowski and Arndt didn't really see the field, so they are simply a backup.

Paschall and Blincoe backed up Roehl and saw the field when the game counted. Granted, Blincoe probably only got 5-10 snaps, but that counted in my eyes. Vandal backed up Jangula and I probably should have given him an *, others could have been forgotten also.

But, I acknowledge it is a "loose" definition.

Jdubs21
06-01-2008, 04:42 PM

He also left so he could concentrate on his academics, but remains with the university, which is deff. excusable and understandable