18. South Dakota St.
19. Eastern Illinois
20. New Hampshire
21. The Citadel
22. Eastern Kentucky
23. Fordham
24. Yale
25. Furman
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Harvard (33), Sam Houston St. (31), Delaware St. (29), Northern Arizona (27), Central Arkansas (24), Montana St. (24), Jackson St. (23), South Carolina St. (22), Jacksonville St. (18), Grambling St. (16), Liberty (16), Holy Cross (14), Western Illinois (13), Albany (12), Hofstra (12), Dayton (10), Hampton (10), Nicholls St. (7), Coastal Carolina (5), Colgate (5), Norfolk St. (5)

TEAM MOST ON THE RISE: Cal Poly
TEAM FALLING THE MOST: Delaware

Mr. Burgundy
05-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Does anyone else absolutely LOVE the conference we are in? Every week is just a brawl. It will be fun!

TheBisonator
05-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Does anyone else absolutely LOVE the conference we are in? Every week is just a brawl. It will be fun!

I just love it, Ron. Without a doubt the toughest conference in the FCS!!!

CaBisonFan
05-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25

PRE-SEASON 5/26/2008
(First place votes in parenthesis)
1. Appalachian St. (76)
2. James Madison (2)
3. Richmond (1)
4. North Dakota St. (2)
5. Northern Iowa
6. Massachusetts
7. Montana
8. McNeese St.
9. Eastern Washington
10. Wofford
11. Delaware
12. Southern Illinois
13. Cal Poly (1)
14. Youngstown St.
15. Elon
16. Georgia Southern
17. Villanova
18. South Dakota St.
19. Eastern Illinois
20. New Hampshire
21. The Citadel
22. Eastern Kentucky
23. Fordham
24. Yale
25. Furman
Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Harvard (33), Sam Houston St. (31), Delaware St. (29), Northern Arizona (27), Central Arkansas (24), Montana St. (24), Jackson St. (23), South Carolina St. (22), Jacksonville St. (18), Grambling St. (16), Liberty (16), Holy Cross (14), Western Illinois (13), Albany (12), Hofstra (12), Dayton (10), Hampton (10), Nicholls St. (7), Coastal Carolina (5), Colgate (5), Norfolk St. (5)

TEAM MOST ON THE RISE: Cal Poly
TEAM FALLING THE MOST: Delaware

It's a good starting position. Kind of like a horse race. Thanks

onbison09
05-26-2008, 10:01 PM
How much stock should we put in the AGS poll? Is it normally pretty good? Can't wait till next season baby!!!!

tjbison
05-26-2008, 10:12 PM
How much stock should we put in the AGS poll? Is it normally pretty good? Can't wait till next season baby!!!!

I would have to thinks its just as reliable as the media polls or any poll for that matter, its all opinion and this one is mostly based on Last years performance, schedule strength, loss gain of players or coaches. Polls usually don't mean crap till 3-4 weeks into the season, but for pre-season polls the AGS poll is probably the best!

Jdubs21
05-27-2008, 03:44 AM
stuff like this makes me to excited

NDSU1980
05-27-2008, 04:07 AM
I like the number 4 spot. High enough to command respect, yet not #1 where people are gunning for you every week. And gee, the bunnies are #18.

NDSUstudent
05-27-2008, 04:09 AM
Here is my Pre-season top 25

1. Appalachian St.
2. Richmond
3. Northern Iowa
4. Massachusetts
5. North Dakota St.
6. Cal Poly
7. Montana
8. James Madison
9. Wofford
10. Eastern Washington
11. Youngstown St.
12. McNeese St.
13. Georgia Southern
14. Eastern Illinois
15. Villanova
16. Southern Illinois
17. Fordham
18. Central Arkansas
19. Montana St.
20. The Citadel
21. South Carolina St.
22. Delaware
23. Grambling St.
24. Sam Houston St.
25. South Dakota St.

X-Factor
05-27-2008, 03:52 PM
I like the number 4 spot. High enough to command respect, yet not #1 where people are gunning for you every week. And gee, the bunnies are #18.

I think that is a VERY respectable position for SDSU. Props to them.

SDbison
05-27-2008, 04:28 PM
I think that is a VERY respectable position for SDSU. Props to them.
I think SDSU belongs close to #25 if at all in the top 25..........

Bison bison
05-27-2008, 04:38 PM
SDSU lost a lot of folks to graduation. They were certainly a top 25 team at the end of the year. Who knows what their first year in the Gateway will bring.

TransAmBison
05-27-2008, 04:48 PM
SDSU lost a lot of folks to graduation. They were certainly a top 25 team at the end of the year. Who knows what their first year in the Gateway will bring.
They'll probably start the season with a loss to a SDSU intramural women's league team.

stevdock
05-27-2008, 05:52 PM

This was a quote on the AGS site from the administration on there.

Got this email reminder from AGSadmin that mentioned a great fact about the AGS Poll:
Quote:
In comparison to other polls, the AGS Poll had as many or more of it's preseason top 25 on it's final regular season poll than either of the other two polls (coaches and media) had on their's the past four years. The AGS Poll also had as many or more of it's preseason top 25 on it's final regular season poll make the playoffs than either of the other two polls the past four years.

So nobody does a better preseason poll predicting the regular season-ending ranking than AGS.

OldBison
05-28-2008, 02:57 AM
I just love it, Ron. Without a doubt the toughest conference in the FCS!!!

Gateway, toughest? Perhaps. Obviously one of the toughest. The Colonial could certainly make a good argument for that status. In this AGS poll they have three in top 10 and 6 in top 20. Gateway has 2 and 5.

In the 21st century, the Colonial League has sent 20 teams to the playoffs and the Gateway 17, by my count. The Colonial has been in the championship game 4 of 7 years, winning two national championships. The Gateway has been there once during this same period.

Historically, since 1978 when the playoff system in IAA began, teams in the Colonial and Gateway TODAY (not the league they were necessarily in at the time they played in the national championship game) are fairly even. The Colonial has sent 7 teams to the national championship game, winning 3 championships, while the Gateway has sent 8 teams to the big game winning 5. Of course, Jim Tressel and Youngstown State own all of those championships except one.

So, Gateway is definitely a tough conference. I am just not sure they are the toughest, yet.

BisBison
05-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Gateway, toughest? Perhaps. Obviously one of the toughest. The Colonial could certainly make a good argument for that status. In this AGS poll they have three in top 10 and 6 in top 20. Gateway has 2 and 5.

In the 21st century, the Colonial League has sent 20 teams to the playoffs and the Gateway 17, by my count. The Colonial has been in the championship game 4 of 7 years, winning two national championships. The Gateway has been there once during this same period.

Historically, since 1978 when the playoff system in IAA began, teams in the Colonial and Gateway TODAY (not the league they were necessarily in at the time they played in the national championship game) are fairly even. The Colonial has sent 7 teams to the national championship game, winning 3 championships, while the Gateway has sent 8 teams to the big game winning 5. Of course, Jim Tressel and Youngstown State own all of those championships except one.

So, Gateway is definitely a tough conference. I am just not sure they are the toughest, yet.

Don't ya hate it when people back up their statements with facts and statistics rather than opinions? Reps to you OldBison.:cheers:

Bison bison
05-28-2008, 12:43 PM

The Colonial Conference has sent how many teams to the Playoffs? The Conference has been around for 1 year!

BisBison
05-28-2008, 12:56 PM
The Colonial Conference has sent how many teams to the Playoffs? The Conference has been around for 1 year!

I think he meant the Colonial along with its predecessor conference the A-10.

TransAmBison
05-28-2008, 01:17 PM

I find your use of facts disturbing. Lakesbison formed the Gateway to become the most powerful conference ever. EVER. Don't make him create another chant. We all know what happened after Lakes started the "Let's Go Bison" chant. Think next time before you spout an opinion based on fact. :D

bisonmike2
05-28-2008, 02:19 PM
I find your use of facts disturbing. Lakesbison formed the Gateway to become the most powerful conference ever. EVER. Don't make him create another chant. We all know what happened after Lakes started the "Let's Go Bison" chant. Think next time before you spout an opinion based on fact. :D

++++++++++++

Bison bison
05-28-2008, 02:29 PM
I think he meant the Colonial along with its predecessor conference the A-10.

How convenient.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n257/OrangeClouds_115/church_lady.jpg

EagleBison
05-31-2008, 08:04 PM

The Colonial has 12 teams, you don't play every team, and depending on the schedule, the toughness is relative to who you play in what year. More teams also equals more teams with a better chance of 7 DI wins, therefore qualifying for the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, the Colonial has great teams, but IMO, more teams equals a better chance of playoffs.

BisonNeil
06-01-2008, 03:35 PM
The Colonial has 12 teams, you don't play every team, and depending on the schedule, the toughness is relative to who you play in what year. More teams also equals more teams with a better chance of 7 DI wins, therefore qualifying for the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, the Colonial has great teams, but IMO, more teams equals a better chance of playoffs.

You might be right, but you cannot argue with the fact that a Colonial/A10 team has been in 4 of 8 national championship games in the 21st century and a Gateway team has been in only one. To paraphrase an old Bison coach "Getting to the playoffs is one thing, winning in the playoffs is another". Bottom line, I think OldBison is right, the Colonial is a a tougher conference than the Gateway.

EagleBison
06-01-2008, 03:48 PM
You might be right, but you cannot argue with the fact that a Colonial/A10 team has been in 4 of 8 national championship games in the 21st century and a Gateway team has been in only one. To paraphrase an old Bison coach "Getting to the playoffs is one thing, winning in the playoffs is another". Bottom line, I think OldBison is right, the Colonial is a a tougher conference than the Gateway.

My take would be the CAA has better teams at the top in those 8 years, while the Gateway has only one patsy, Indiana St. The Gateway IMO, is better top to bottom, while the CAA has some great teams at the top in UMass, Delaware, JMU, Richmond and UNH. If you don't play all of those 5 teams in a year, then how tough is the conference if you play all five of the bottom teams? Unless a team plays everyone in the conference, it's really about the great teams more than the conference.

BisonNeil
06-01-2008, 04:14 PM
My take would be the CAA has better teams at the top in those 8 years, while the Gateway has only one patsy, Indiana St. The Gateway IMO, is better top to bottom, while the CAA has some great teams at the top in UMass, Delaware, JMU, Richmond and UNH. If you don't play all of those 5 teams in a year, then how tough is the conference if you play all five of the bottom teams? Unless a team plays everyone in the conference, it's really about the great teams more than the conference.

You can say that, but the stats don't really back you up.

Delaware made it to the national championship game last year and they were only 3rd in the South Division of the CAA with a 5-3 record. 3rd!! They beat N. Iowa 39-27 and they beat S. Ill. 20-17 in the playoffs. So this CAA team, which was barely in the top half of their conference, beats the best the Gateway has to offer.

Sorry, you can say the Gateway is the toughest conference but there is no data I can find, or anybody else can find, that supports that claim. In fact, the actual data and facts, rather than simply a gut feeling, supports the contrary. Just because you and others say it is so doesn't make it so.

EagleBison
06-01-2008, 04:35 PM

Delaware made it to the national championship game last year and they were only 3rd in the South Division of the CAA with a 5-3 record. 3rd!! They beat N. Iowa 39-27 and they beat S. Ill. 20-17 in the playoffs. So this CAA team, which was barely in the top half of their conference, beats the best the Gateway has to offer.

Sorry, you can say the Gateway is the toughest conference but there is no data I can find, or anybody else can find, that supports that claim. In fact, the actual data and facts, rather than simply a gut feeling, supports the contrary. Just because you and others say it is so doesn't make it so.

So maybe the Southern Conference tougher then? A 3 loss App St team won the National Championship over that Delaware, CAA Team. The Southern Conference has won the most championships. The data and facts seem to back it up. Furman, Wofford, Georgia Southern, The Citidel, are all great teams. Southern Conference 4 NC's from 2000-2008, CAA 2, Gateway 1, Big Sky 1.

In the 1990's Southern Conference 4, CAA 1, Gateway 1, Big Sky 1, Youngstown as an Independent 3.

BisonNeil
06-01-2008, 04:42 PM
So maybe the Southern Conference tougher then? A 3 loss App St team won the National Championship over that Delaware, CAA Team. The Southern Conference has won the most championships. The data and facts seem to back it up. Furman, Wofford, Georgia Southern, The Citidel, are all great teams. Southern Conference 4 NC's from 2000-2008, CAA 2, Gateway 1, Big Sky 1.

In the 1990's Southern Conference 4, CAA 1, Gateway 1, Big Sky 1, Youngstown as an Independent 3.

Bingo, you've got it. Lots of candidates for toughest conference. Gateway is ONE of them, just likely not THE toughest. Lots of data to support others as toughest, just not enough to support the Gateway as the toughest.

Now, with that said, things change. NCC was the toughest DII conference but in its final years it was a shadow of its former self. The next 10 years of the Gateway could be much different with NDSU, UNI, SIll and YSU bringing up the entire conference. For example, Missouri St appears to be turning it around. Stay tuned...

Bison101
06-01-2008, 09:47 PM

And there you have it. Well said!

EagleBison
06-02-2008, 12:17 AM
Now, with that said, things change. NCC was the toughest DII conference but in its final years it was a shadow of its former self. The next 10 years of the Gateway could be much different with NDSU, UNI, SIll and YSU bringing up the entire conference. For example, Missouri St appears to be turning it around. Stay tuned...

This year in the Gateway could be much different with NDSU and SDSU added to the mix. I wouldn't say the Gateway pre - xDSU's was better than the CAA.

BisonNeil
06-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Just picked up Lindy's 2008 College Football Preview. Here is their top 25:

1. Appl. St.
2. NDSU
3. JMU
4. UMass
5. Montana
6. Richmond
7. E. Wash.
8. McNeese St
9. Delaware
10. New Hamp
11. E. Kentucky
12. N. Iowa
13. Montana St.
14. SDSU
15. S. Ill
16. E. Ill.
17. Elon
18. Eentral Ark
19. Liberty
20. Hampton
21. Delaware St.
22. Sam Houston St.
23. Geo Southern
24. Coastal Carol.
25. Southern

The comment on the #2 Bison was "In first playoff-elegible season, Bison rule behind RB Tyler Roehl".

The only Bison in the Lindy's 2008 All-FCS pre-season team was Tyler Roehl, first team RB along with Herb Donaldson of W. Ill.

Of the top 5 games in FCS, NDSU and SDSU make #4 with their Nov 22 game.

Here is how Lindy's sees the Gateway Conference finishing out:

1. NDSU (All-American RB Tyler Roehl leads Bison into the GFC)
2. N. Iowa
3. SDSU
4. S. Ill.
5. W. Ill.
6. YSU
7. Illinois St.
8. Missouri St.
9. Indiana St.

tcbison
06-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Just picked up Lindy's 2008 College Football Preview. Here is their top 25:

1. Appl. St.
2. NDSU
3. JMU
4. UMass
5. Montana
6. Richmond
7. E. Wash.
8. McNeese St
9. Delaware
10. New Hamp
11. E. Kentucky
12. N. Iowa
13. Montana St.
14. SDSU
15. S. Ill
16. E. Ill.
17. Elon
18. Eentral Ark
19. Liberty
20. Hampton
21. Delaware St.
22. Sam Houston St.
23. Geo Southern
24. Coastal Carol.
25. Southern

The comment on the #2 Bison was "In first playoff-elegible season, Bison rule behind RB Tyler Roehl".

The only Bison in the Lindy's 2008 All-FCS pre-season team was Tyler Roehl, first team RB along with Herb Donaldson of W. Ill.

Of the top 5 games in FCS, NDSU and SDSU make #4 with their Nov 22 game.

Here is how Lindy's sees the Gateway Conference finishing out:

1. NDSU (All-American RB Tyler Roehl leads Bison into the GFC)
2. N. Iowa
3. SDSU
4. S. Ill.
5. W. Ill.
6. YSU
7. Illinois St.
8. Missouri St.
9. Indiana St.

Thanks BisonNeil. Do they have much commentary in Lindy's for FCS? Is it worth picking up?

BisonNeil
06-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks BisonNeil. Do they have much commentary in Lindy's for FCS? Is it worth picking up?

Not much there, really, 4 pages is all. Most of the general write up is about Appy St., and rightfully so I guess. About their shocking win over Meechigan and going for their 4th straight victory. That and the poll, their all-american pre-season picks and the big games each week take up two pages. The conference outlooks take up the other two, their picks for places and a short paragraph, in about a 6 pt font. Good thing I have bifocals.

The biggest tidbit I got out of it was that Appy St was the first DI team to win three national championships in a row since 1900. Wow...