PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Sports Stories at SDSU for 07-08 year

heymch86
05-23-2008, 01:38 AM
I think you know what number one is. I read it and just got angry. I can't wait until we lay the hurt on them in the Dome, get the marker back, clinch a playoff spot and prepare for a national title run.

One for the ages
SDSU claimed league titles, built Division I momentum
Terry Vandrovec • tvandrovec@argusleader.com • May 20, 2008

Post a CommentRecommend (19)Print this page E-mail this article
Share this article: Del.icio.us Facebook Digg Reddit Newsvine What’s this?
So much for having nothing to play for.

The final leg of the four-year NCAA Division I transition was arguably one of the most successful in the history of South Dakota State athletics. Most notably, on a single overcast Saturday - Nov. 17 - the Jackrabbits picked up two conference titles and an oversized check worth $6 million to be put toward a student-athlete development center.

"I think we all believed that we'd do good," athletic director Fred Oien said. "But I'm not sure we thought we'd win a conference championship in football, women's basketball and volleyball in the same year in Division I this year. It's a real credit to the coaches."

These were the top five sports stories of the year:
1. Football team ends title drought: Before a Coughlin-Alumni Stadium record crowd of 16,345, the Jackrabbits beat No. 1-ranked North Dakota State 29-24 in the season finale to win the Great West Football Conference title - their first championship crown since 1963.

It was the second year in a row that SDSU lost its first three games to wind up 7-4 and in the Football Championship Subdivision top 25.

The Jacks - who will move into the renowned Gateway Football Conference this fall - also set a new home attendance record, boasted more academic all-district picks than any other Division I program in a nine-state region and had two players sign NFL contracts.

2. Women's basketball team runs away with title: Picked to finish third in the preseason poll, the Jacks made a statement in their first year in the Summit League.

Although slowed by four separate foot injuries, SDSU finished four games clear of anybody else atop the regular-season standings, claiming the first outright conference title in program history and earning a bid to the Women's National Invitation Tournament for the second season in a row.

Although the Jacks were beaten by Creighton in the first round, bringing an end to a 22-game home win streak, they return all but two players for 2008-09 when the conference tournament will be held in Sioux Falls.

3. Volleyball team advances to national championships: One of two SDSU programs granted NCAA postseason eligibility midway through the transition, the Jacks made good on the opportunity by winning regular-season and conference tournament titles to earn a spot in the Division I national championships.

However, SDSU was swept in the first round by defending national champion - and regional host - Nebraska before a capacity crowd of 4,189.

And after the season, the team graduated career kills leader Kristina Martin, career digs leader Sam Pearson and career block assists leader Amy Anderson, while head coach Andrew Palileo moved on to Washington State and assistant Phil McDaniel took over at Drake.

4. SDSU receives donation for facility project: Just hours before momentous victories in football and volleyball, SDSU received a $6 million donation from alum Dana Dykhouse and philanthropist T. Denny Sanford to go toward the most expensive project in SDSU athletic history.

The Dykhouse Center will ultimately house offices, locker rooms and training equipment for the school's football, baseball, softball, tennis, golf and running programs in addition to academic support for all sports. The project is currently in the design stage.

5. Baseball team rallies after losing a teammate: SDSU relief pitcher Kevin Morsching died from head injuries sustained in a skateboarding accident upon returning to Brookings for fall semester, setting the tone for an emotional season.

In one of six games at their new on-campus field, the Jacks beat 11-time defending conference champion Oral Roberts, marking their first win against a team that was receiving votes in the Division I top 25. Morsching's younger brother, Kirby, earned the save.

SDSU also beat Minnesota for the first time since 1966 in an extra-innings game played at Sioux Falls and then turned the trick again one week later in Minneapolis.

Etc. box
If 2007-08 wasn't the most successful year in SDSU athletic history maybe 1962-63 was. The Jacks won a Division II national title in men's basketball, wrestler Dee Brainerd won a national crown at 130 pounds and the football team tied for first in the North Central Conference.

runtheoption
05-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Number 1 does not make me angry. I actually love it that other schools circle the date with NDSU on their calander and it is a big deal for them to beat us.

SDbison
05-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Number 1 does not make me angry. I actually love it that other schools circle the date with NDSU on their calander and it is a big deal for them to beat us.
Have to love their references to a record crowd at "Cough" Lin dump stadium (paint chips and all). They could at least add a footnote that SDSU fans only made up 9500 of those fans since 7000 were NDSU fans.

tjbison
05-23-2008, 05:55 PM
I'll let them have their moment, Afterall its the first real accomplishment since 1963 for their football program, now the REAL challenge for them is can they remain a good program or sink into the abyss!:p

sambini
05-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Paybacks Are Coming Bunnys+++

filbert
05-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Have to love their references to a record crowd at "Cough" Lin dump stadium (paint chips and all). They could at least add a footnote that SDSU fans only made up 9500 of those fans since 7000 were NDSU fans.
Bison money is always good in Brookings . . .

JackJD
05-25-2008, 04:22 AM
I was at the game, took pictures, have watched the DVD (we win every time) and it continues to amaze me the number of Bison fans in Brookings. However, 7,000? On that day, and continuing thereafter, the Bison won one thing that day: best attendance exaggeration.

NDSUstudent
05-25-2008, 04:55 AM
I was at the game, took pictures, have watched the DVD (we win every time) and it continues to amaze me the number of Bison fans in Brookings. However, 7,000? On that day, and continuing thereafter, the Bison won one thing that day: best attendance exaggeration.

Fine.....there was 6k Bison fans at the game and that is not an exaggeration.

UTH
05-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Fine.....there was 6k Bison fans at the game and that is not an exaggeration.

Meh... somebody just has a problem with the idea of possibly being outnumbered in his own house. My number remains 7,000 minimum.

Tatanka
05-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Meh... somebody just has a problem with the idea of possibly being outnumbered in his own house. My number remains 7,000 minimum.
QFA +++

TheBisonator
05-28-2008, 01:56 AM
There were at LEAST 6,000 Bison fans there. 7,000 may be pushing it a little, but at LEAST 6K, more like 6,500 most likely.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
05-28-2008, 02:54 AM
I personally find no consolation in how many fans we had there. We got beat---deal with it. Count the days till our next matchup with the Bunnies

bisonhusker
05-28-2008, 03:23 PM
7 thousand Bison fans....and only one punt returner who fields punts at his own 3 yard line.....can't wait for that trend to catch on in major college football next year!!!!!

jackrabbit1979
05-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Five thousand Bison fans....and only one punt returner who fields punts at his own 6 yard line and takes it to the house

Fixed it for you bisonhusker! :nod: It's at about the 2:00 mark if you want to see it again...but you can watch the whole reel too if you prefer, I enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sIR60Ho608&feature=related

mebisonII
05-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Fixed it for you bisonhusker! :nod: It's at about the 2:00 mark if you want to see it again...but you can watch the whole reel too if you prefer, I enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sIR60Ho608&feature=related

I hadn't actually seen that before. It looks like the punt coverage got there too soon, and couldn't do much since the ball was still in the air. If the ball had gotten there 2 seconds earlier he would have been a pancake!

Speaking of pancakes...I'm hungry :hungry:

rabidrabbit
05-30-2008, 02:23 AM
I hadn't actually seen that before. It looks like the punt coverage got there too soon, and couldn't do much since the ball was still in the air. If the ball had gotten there 2 seconds earlier he would have been a pancake!

Speaking of pancakes...I'm hungry :hungry:

There was a flag on that punt return.....

Early hit on the returner by Bison.

Jacks won on strength of the special teams, Koening's running, and defensive stops on Tyler Roehl.

Great, exciting game.

This Rabbit hopes that we accomplish something in 08, not achieved since 63.......

Football win in Fargo.

mebisonII
05-30-2008, 05:41 PM
There was a flag on that punt return.....

Early hit on the returner by Bison.

Jacks won on strength of the special teams, Koening's running, and defensive stops on Tyler Roehl.

Great, exciting game.

This Rabbit hopes that we accomplish something in 08, not achieved since 63.......

Football win in Fargo.

That game should be one of, if not THE, biggest game ever in the FFD. Although hopefully it will be eclipsed shortly by the dome's long-overdue first playoff game :nod:

Bison101
06-01-2008, 09:52 PM
I'll let them have their moment, Afterall its the first real accomplishment since 1963 for their football program, now the REAL challenge for them is can they remain a good program or sink into the abyss!:p

I think we know the answer to that!

(The Abyss) :D