PDA

View Full Version : 300k

SlickVic
05-16-2008, 01:55 AM
my uncle was tellin me he heard bohls been offered 300k to stay not sure thats a decent chunk of change tho

BisBison
05-16-2008, 01:59 AM
Hope it's true, if anyone deserves that it's him. Gene Taylor did say on a radio interview just before the end of the season that the contract was being re-negotiated.

lakesbison
05-16-2008, 02:05 AM
I heard 3 years 1 MILLION if he hits incentives.. *natl champs*.

met1990
05-16-2008, 02:31 AM
I hear it's 12 years, $112 million if he gets NDSU into the Big Ten and wins a BCS bowl game. But that could just be a rumor...

CaBisonFan
05-16-2008, 04:04 AM
my uncle was tellin me he heard bohls been offered 300k to stay not sure thats a decent chunk of change tho

In the FCS I'd think it was pretty good. Not sure. I wonder what the smaller FBS programs typically pay.

roadwarrior
05-16-2008, 04:04 AM
I heard some real facts about it, but of course you know I'll let the guy in charge decide when it's public info.

bincitysioux
05-16-2008, 04:28 AM
I might be wrong on this so someone can correct me, but about year and a half ago, the Forum had an article about the highest paid FCS coaches and I thought at the time it was Jerry Kill at about $165,000 or so. NDSU has had a ton of success the last couple years, but is Taylor really going to set the national coaching market for FCS football with a program that is just now officially joining the division?

lakesbison
05-16-2008, 04:29 AM
ill bet you 2 beers road that my #'s are close..

NDSUstudent
05-16-2008, 04:46 AM
I might be wrong on this so someone can correct me, but about year and a half ago, the Forum had an article about the highest paid FCS coaches and I thought at the time it was Jerry Kill at about $165,000 or so. NDSU has had a ton of success the last couple years, but is Taylor really going to set the national coaching market for FCS football with a program that is just now officially joining the division?

NDSU could pay Bohl 300k and he still wouldn't be the highest paid coach, Delaware's coach makes 350k.

Gully
05-16-2008, 12:09 PM
I heard some real facts about it, but of course you know I'll let the guy in charge decide when it's public info.

Whatever the details, I'm just glad that something is going on. The longer we can keep him the better. If $300,000 is the package, I'd say that's pretty darn good. If my memory serves, that would put him in the top 5 in FCS.

THEsocalledfan
05-16-2008, 01:18 PM

Bin, that is the difference between our schools. Second best is never good enough at NDSU.

Bison bison
05-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Bohl is the #1 reason Bison Football is enjoying the success it is.

The success of the athletic department/transition to division 1 relied in large part on the success of the football team.

Just like with Joe Chapman and Gene Taylor, NDSU can never fully repay what Bohl has done for the institution.

imabison
05-16-2008, 01:58 PM
2. Gene T says he's offered Craig Bohl a pay raise, without affecting the term of his contract. He has 3 years left on a deal he signed in 2005. Current pay package is 200K. Base of 145, TV Show pay of 50, and camps of 5. The new package with incentives (like winning the national title) could get him into the 300K range. Gene expects Craig to say OK, but may counteroffer with something. I remember the last time my boss offered me a 100K raise and I countered......

From the Bison Media Blog by Steve Hallstrom this morning

mebisonII
05-16-2008, 02:33 PM
That's a lot of money. For reference, the head of one of the nation's top orthopaedic departments (research and surgery) gets paid around $250,000/yr, or a little less.

MN_BISON
05-16-2008, 02:54 PM
That's a lot of money. For reference, the head of one of the nation's top orthopaedic departments (research and surgery) gets paid around $250,000/yr, or a little less.

I think you are a little short. I have a good friend who is finishing up his residency at Mayo as an orthopedic surgeon and he’ll be looking at about three times that much money when he is done. Not a bad gig if you can get it.

I would have no problem if coach Bohl was pulling down 300k.

mebisonII
05-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I think you are a little short. I have a good friend who is finishing up his residency at Mayo as an orthopedic surgeon and he’ll be looking at about three times that much money when he is done. Not a bad gig if you can get it.

I would have no problem if coach Bohl was pulling down 300k.

You are correct, I should have double checked rather than rely on memory. The salary I should have said would have been ~$400,000/yr. Your friend is likely going to a different state or to a private practice/hospital and I could see him making more.

I'm always conflicted, because on one hand I understand why universities pay big money to coaches and all, but on the other hand I hate the fact that a system has developed in which the highest paid people at institutes of higher education are coaches.

X-Factor
05-16-2008, 04:02 PM
NDSU could pay Bohl 300k and he still wouldn't be the highest paid coach, Delaware's coach makes 350k.

If Bohl makes 300k he will easily be the highest paid coach by living standards. Go live in Delaware and tell me how much your house costs compared to Fargo. The difference in cost of living is major and more than enough to push Bohl to the top of the list. For which he definitely has earned his pay.

THEsocalledfan
05-16-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm always conflicted, because on one hand I understand why universities pay big money to coaches and all, but on the other hand I hate the fact that a system has developed in which the highest paid people at institutes of higher education are coaches.

I am a faculty member and have no problem with it. There are few faculty who bring in the kind of money and exposure to a University that a successful athletic team will. Further, last time I checked, faculty don't get canned after a singe "off" year (ie the pressure is a little less even if going for tenure). I think these guys earn every penny, even the guys in FBS.

Hammersmith
05-16-2008, 04:21 PM
I think you are a little short. I have a good friend who is finishing up his residency at Mayo as an orthopedic surgeon and he’ll be looking at about three times that much money when he is done. Not a bad gig if you can get it. I would have no problem if coach Bohl was pulling down 300k.

Sorry for the tangent, but do you know the name of the surgeon he's working under? A couple of the orthpedic surgeons at Mayo played Humpty-Dumpty with me, and I sometimes wonder how they're doing.

mebisonII
05-16-2008, 04:27 PM
I am a faculty member and have no problem with it. There are few faculty who bring in the kind of money and exposure to a University that a successful athletic team will. Further, last time I checked, faculty don't get canned after a singe "off" year (ie the pressure is a little less even if going for tenure). I think these guys earn every penny, even the guys in FBS.

Like I say, I understand why it happens and is necessary, but its always an uncomfortable reminder of some overall priorities we have as a society. That's a rant I've thought of posting on here several times, but refrained...as I will now.

MN_BISON
05-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Sorry for the tangent, but do you know the name of the surgeon he's working under? A couple of the orthpedic surgeons at Mayo played Humpty-Dumpty with me, and I sometimes wonder how they're doing.

Hammer, I don't know off hand but can certainly find out. Drop me a PM with the names you are asking about and I'll give my buddy a call this weekend.

lakesbison
05-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Soooo Lakesbisons # of 3 years for 1 MILLION are right on the mark (WINK!) dont ever doubt it!!! ha ha.. ok ok.. doubt me.

OldBison
05-16-2008, 06:23 PM
I think Bohl getting a raise is a good thing and I am really pleased that Taylor is being pro-active on this.

I remember seeing an article in USA Today last fall about coaching salaries and there were numbers for each conference, split by BCS vs non-BCS. MAC salaries were in the 400-450k range, MWC was much the same. Since Bohl was interested in the N. Illinois job that Kill got, with his new salary and if another MAC job became available, the pay raise would only be 100k to take over a lousy MAC school. Perhaps Bohl wouldn't be so excited or look all that hard at that job. But, who knows...

On principle alone this is a good deal. Personally, I didn't like Lennon going to S. ILL and as a new IAA coach making more money than Bohl was making. :ranting: I can't explain it much less justify it, but it bothered me nonetheless.

imabison
05-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Soooo Lakesbisons # of 3 years for 1 MILLION are right on the mark (WINK!) dont ever doubt it!!! ha ha.. ok ok.. doubt me.
Let see by Lakes math 3 * 300 = 1 million minus 100,000 .

Only over stated by 100.000 but thats peanuts to Lakes...:)

BisonAccountant44
05-16-2008, 07:49 PM

Don't worry, we will. :)

THEsocalledfan
05-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Since Bohl was interested in the N. Illinois job that Kill got, with his new salary and if another MAC job became available, the pay raise would only be 100k to take over a lousy MAC school.

I just can't see Bohl leaving except for a BCS major school chance. This pay raise likley makes this a certainty. The thought that Punky Brewster makes more money than Craig Bohl makes me sick.

bisonmike2
05-16-2008, 08:51 PM
I just can't see Bohl leaving except for a BCS major school chance. This pay raise likley makes this a certainty. The thought that Punky Brewster makes more money than Craig Bohl makes me sick.

Especially when you think about what a great ambassador or overalll gentleman Bohl has been for NDSU. Can you imagine Bohl doing something like this?

http://pagingjimshikenjanski.blogspot.com/2007/06/brewster-says-weis-is-fat-etc.html

bisonmike2
05-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Especially when you think about what a great ambassador or overalll gentleman Bohl has been for NDSU. Can you imagine Bohl doing something like this?

http://pagingjimshikenjanski.blogspot.com/2007/06/brewster-says-weis-is-fat-etc.html

I should disclose that the blog is citing an unidentified/anonymous source and that the incident cannot be confirmed. But the bigger point I was trying to make is that you don't hear crap like this come out about Bohl but I can totally picture Punky saying something like this.

Bison101
05-16-2008, 09:36 PM
I hear it's 12 years, $112 million if he gets NDSU into the Big Ten and wins a BCS bowl game. But that could just be a rumor...

I heard that for every TD the team gets, it's another 1,000,000 bonus! :D

Jdubs21
05-16-2008, 10:11 PM
you guys are all wrong he's actually makin 100 gagillion dollars per month, get your damn facts straight people :)

X-Factor
05-19-2008, 03:04 AM
This just in! AN ANONYMOUS BISONVILLE MEMBER HAS WON THE MINNESOTA STATE LOTTERY AND HAS CHOSEN TO DONATE ALL WINNINGS TO THE CRAIG BOHL NDSU HEAD COACHING FUND!!

http://www.auditor.leg.state.mn.us/ped/2004/0401sumpic1.jpg

BisoninNWMN
05-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Bohl deserves every penny and probably more. Brewster is a putz....I just hope they schedule the Bison again in near future..so we can kick their _ss!! AGAIN

kurosawa
05-26-2008, 05:52 PM
I should disclose that the blog is citing an unidentified/anonymous source and that the incident cannot be confirmed. But the bigger point I was trying to make is that you don't hear crap like this come out about Bohl but I can totally picture Punky saying something like this.

Brewster never said this. The ND post was a complete fabrication. He and Charlie Weis are friends; Weis laughed about it, in fact.

It's not surprising that people gave this credibility, even though it was blatantly false on face value. (A major college coach telling this to some guy's friend in a stairwell?) For whatever reason, Brewster is a lightning rod for criticism--one might even say hatred--from certain columnists (Patrick Reusse in particular), Glen Mason supporters, and the fans of rival schools. He gets jumped on for practically anything he says or does. He really gets under some people's skin--the fact that you can "totally picture Punky saying something like this," even though Brewster is a generally positive person, illustrates the vitriolic and venomous feelings he attracts.

Joel Maturi probably would like to schedule NDSU again--even as early as 2010--but Brewster is opposed. He'd like an all-BCS schedule for recruiting purposes, but that would be impractical for a school that wants seven homes games each year. So the occasional FCS game is not out of the question. The odds at this point look no better than 50-50, however.

For those of you itching for a rematch with the Gophers so you could "kick their a--" again, be careful what you wish for. All of you are aware, I'm sure, of the monster recruiting class Brewster and his staff landed this year, and they're well on their way to duplicating that feat next year. The talent level in Minneapolis will be decidedly higher in 2010 and thereafter.

SDbison
05-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Brewster never said this. The ND post was a complete fabrication. He and Charlie Weis are friends; Weis laughed about it, in fact.

It's not surprising that people gave this credibility, even though it was blatantly false on face value. (A major college coach telling this to some guy's friend in a stairwell?) For whatever reason, Brewster is a lightning rod for criticism--one might even say hatred--from certain columnists (Patrick Reusse in particular), Glen Mason supporters, and the fans of rival schools. He gets jumped on for practically anything he says or does. He really gets under some people's skin--the fact that you can "totally picture Punky saying something like this," even though Brewster is a generally positive person, illustrates the vitriolic and venomous feelings he attracts.

Joel Maturi probably would like to schedule NDSU again--even as early as 2010--but Brewster is opposed. He'd like an all-BCS schedule for recruiting purposes, but that would be impractical for a school that wants seven homes games each year. So the occasional FCS game is not out of the question. The odds at this point look no better than 50-50, however.

For those of you itching for a rematch with the Gophers so you could "kick their a--" again, be careful what you wish for. All of you are aware, I'm sure, of the monster recruiting class Brewster and his staff landed this year, and they're well on their way to duplicating that feat next year. The talent level in Minneapolis will be decidedly higher in 2010 and thereafter.
Just because the Gophers recruited better than average doesn't mean they will do well. Punky might be known as a good recruiter but that doesn't make him a good head coach. He sounds like he is full of BS and lets just see how well the next few years work out. I have my doubts the Gophers can even break into the top 3 of the Big Ten.