PDA

View Full Version : Arizona State Drops Wrestling

OCBison
05-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Another frickin' casuality.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/2008/05/13/20080513asucuts.html

Let's hope the Bison don't cast their years of tradition on the scrap heap like other schools have done.

Bison bison
05-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Thank you Title IX!

I'm very glad that you have killed yet another wrestling program. I'm sure there are at least five schools that will be adding women's rowing in the next year all because of you!

OCBison
05-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Actually it has nothing to do with Title IX but instead has everything to do with the arms race in men's basketball and football.

"Though ASU's operating budget has grown from $38 million to almost $42 million in three years, spiraling expenses finally brought Love to the conclusion that 22 sports were too many to support at the elite level she expects of them."

For some insightful comments on the subject you can read more at:

http://www.thesportseconomist.com/

It's about the 4th story down.

Bison bison
05-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Actually it has nothing to do with Title IX but instead has everything to do with the arms race in men's basketball and football.

baloney.

Hammersmith
05-15-2008, 02:55 PM
baloney.

No, he's actually right. Football and men's basketball budgets are growing much faster than the total athletic department budgets on most campuses. That money has to come from somewhere, and it's normally from the non-revenue men's sports. I'm not saying Title IX doesn't play a part, but it's minor compared to the hit from FB & MBB. Even the small hit from Title IX wouldn't be that bad if more schools didn't cling to proportionality and started using interests and abilities instead. (See my recent post on the Jackrabbit board for more on the topic; I ain't typing it again.)

*Hypothetical: The FB budget goes up by $6M & the MBB budget goes up $2M, while the total AD budget increases by only $7M. Where does the $1M shortfall come from? Repeat yearly for a decade, and at least one sport goes on the chopping block.

Bison Dan
05-15-2008, 03:10 PM
No, he's actually right. Football and men's basketball budgets are growing much faster than the total athletic department budgets on most campuses. That money has to come from somewhere, and it's normally from the non-revenue men's sports. I'm not saying Title IX doesn't play a part, but it's minor compared to the hit from FB & MBB. Even the small hit from Title IX wouldn't be that bad if more schools didn't cling to proportionality and started using interests and abilities instead. (See my recent post on the Jackrabbit board for more on the topic; I ain't typing it again.)

*Hypothetical: The FB budget goes up by $6M & the MBB budget goes up $2M, while the total AD budget increases by only $7M. Where does the $1M shortfall come from? Repeat yearly for a decade, and at least one sport goes on the chopping block.

Then how come they didn't cut a women's sport if title IX wasn't a factor.

Bison"FANatic"
05-15-2008, 03:49 PM

That was a really good explanation Hammer of the two different paths with title IX. Here is the link if you don't want to search for it.http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?t=6761

I can't make a intelligent informed guess on if this was title IX or all budget so I will leave it alone at this time and comment if I get a little time to do some more reading.

Hammersmith
05-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Then how come they didn't cut a women's sport if title IX wasn't a factor.

When is it the fault of Title IX, and when is it the fault of the school for implementing Title IX poorly? IMO, ASU should've kept M Swiming and dropped W Water Polo instead. The "Interests and Abilities" prong works just fine(NDSU passed a big test in the late-90's/early-00's after the complaint and it was just reinforced in the self study), but it's not as easy or safe as the "Proportionality" prong, so many schools shy away from it. Can you blame Title IX when it provides an alternative, but a school doesn't use it? I can't; I blame the school's administrators for lacking leadership and vision.

roadwarrior
05-15-2008, 03:56 PM
From the PAC10 website:

Wrestling teams:

Arizona State (RIP)
Boise State
Cal Poly
Cal State Bakersfield
Cal State Fullerton
Oregon (RIP)
Oregon State
Portland State
Stanford
UC Davis

So that leaves them with only 2 "real" PAC10 teams with wrestling.

Hammersmith
05-15-2008, 04:05 PM
From the PAC10 website:

Wrestling teams:

Arizona State (RIP)
Boise State
Cal Poly
Cal State Bakersfield
Cal State Fullerton
Oregon (RIP)
Oregon State
Portland State
Stanford
UC Davis

I can't imagine the Pac-10 will keep the sport for much longer. Maybe ASU saw the writing on the wall and that helped them make their decision? I'd put money that we're going to see a Pacific Coast Wrestling Conference(or something) formed out of the remnants in a few years.

Bison bison
05-15-2008, 04:11 PM

that makes no sense.

1. 'the football and basketball budgets are going up'

?????

are those line items non-discretionary? i don't think so.

athletic departments are choosing to provide increased resources to football. with title ix, they need 'balance' among sports. so they ax wrestling.

2. we are seeing an addition of women's sports for which there is little interest on behalf of female high school athletes and the removal of wrestling which has widespread interest.

if it was solely a result of an increase of resources to certain sports, why aren't other mens and womens sports being cut at the same rate---Title IX.

(this isn't rocket science)

Bison bison
05-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Here's some math:

Female High School Participants in Sports sponsored by Arizona's three D-I universities: 38440

Full athletic scholarships for women's sports available at three schools: 347

rate of scholarships/high school participant: about .01

number of high school wrestlers in AZ: 5,485

DI scholarship opportunities for wrestlers in AZ- 0

'expected' rate [.01 x 5485] = 50.

that is a joke.

sambini
05-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Sad deal in Tempe.

Bison"FANatic"
05-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Sounds like another place that the bison can recruit from!!!!!:D

UTH
05-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Sounds like another place that the bison can recruit from!!!!!:D

Not quite sure if any good at all can come from this. If schools keep dropping their wrestling programs, then the level of competition and number of teams gunning for The Prize will stoop down to the level of something like college hockey. This is indeed a sad day for wrestling, regardless of any recruiting benefit.

Bison"FANatic"
05-15-2008, 09:40 PM
But But But "We have wrestling"!!!!! J/K I understand where you are coming from.;) ;)

d3boys
05-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Here's some math:

Female High School Participants in Sports sponsored by Arizona's three D-I universities: 38440

Full athletic scholarships for women's sports available at three schools: 347

rate of scholarships/high school participant: about .01

number of high school wrestlers in AZ: 5,485

DI scholarship opportunities for wrestlers in AZ- 0

'expected' rate [.01 x 5485] = 50.

that is a joke.
while some universities are dropping wrestling guess what some are adding womens wrestling
what no title ix issue

Bison bison
05-16-2008, 05:34 PM
womens wrestling isn't recognized by the NCAA yet

UTH
05-16-2008, 05:48 PM
womens wrestling isn't recognized by the NCAA yet

No matter. I will recognize it for its true greatness. This is second in awesomeness only to Pumpkin Wrestling, a highly underappreciated art.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/halloweenpumpkinkillerviolentfights.jpg

*can't find any womens wrestling pics that won't offend somebody:hide:

onbison09
05-17-2008, 11:43 PM
From the PAC10 website:

Wrestling teams:

Arizona State (RIP)
Boise State
Cal Poly
Cal State Bakersfield
Cal State Fullerton
Oregon (RIP)
Oregon State
Portland State
Stanford
UC Davis

Oregon pulled the same BS that the conference wasn't "competitive enough". Wrestling in California is exploding. Cal Poly had a guy in the finals. A guy from Arizona State was one match from All-American. Also Oregon can't afford to keep up a wrestling team but they can have 9604045845807837893543780 different uniform combinations for football, bullshit. (apologize for the french but I am pissed) Come on Nike!! At the NCAAs they had a donations table for Oregon wrestling, wonder how that is going. They had the All-Star meet and the Pac-10s at Oregon and they both sold out. So no interest in the program excuse is BS too. This really pisses me off.

onbison09
05-18-2008, 12:01 AM
A site has been started to help ASU wrestling- www.saveasuwrestling.com (http://www.saveasuwrestling.com) Please do anything you can.

sambini
05-18-2008, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the link 09++

Bison bison
05-18-2008, 02:41 AM
A site has been started to help ASU wrestling- www.saveasuwrestling.com (http://www.saveasuwrestling.com) Please do anything you can.

what needs to be done if for somebody to tweak Title IX. that well-intentioned policy is destroying a great sport.

tucson10
05-18-2008, 02:45 AM
ASWHO??? Beardown Arizona!!

sambini
05-18-2008, 04:04 AM
I'm going to send an email to help out. Thanks again 09. I'll send an email to Pete Isais at USA wrestling. He is a former asst. for Bucky.

onbison09
05-28-2008, 10:16 PM
ASU wrestling reinstated!!!!!!!!!!

UTH
05-29-2008, 12:14 AM
ASU wrestling reinstated!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to them!!! Hoping that it's true...:praying:

sambini
05-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Thats great news+++

onbison09
05-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Now let's move on to the Ducks- http://www.saveoregonwrestling.com/. F U Phil Knight!!!