PDA

View Full Version : Will a QB transfer from FBS ever be interested in the Bison?

BisonNeil
05-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Anyone who habituates this blog knows of my concerns on the QB situation at NDSU (only two currently, two recruits coming in). The purpose of this thread is NOT to dredge up that discussion.

Rather, during that discussion and other discussions on the QB situation several posters have wondered whether or not NDSU would be looking for a JUCO OR, looking at getting a quality transfer from a FBS school. Those kind of QBs are pursued hotly by many schools:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=410053

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/05/06/jacksonvillest.perrilloux.ap/index.html

When the Bison have a need, do you think the coaches will do the same and pursue a QB who has announced he is leaving a program?

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=409910

The real question is "Will NDSU ever be attractive to a big name QB transferring from a major school?" Yes, we got Tony Stauss from NW, but I wouldn't put him in the classification of a Rhett Bomar, or a Joe Flacoo. We all know what those two QBs are doing or did for the programs they transferred to. However, they chose their FCS schools largely because of proximity to where they grew up so their families could see them play. When you look at the list of schools pursuing Perrilloux or that he is talking to, it is apparent he too is looking at staying close to home.

So, do you think NDSU will ever pique the interest of a top shelf FBS QB transfer?

CaBisonFan
05-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Anyone who habituates this blog knows of my concerns on the QB situation at NDSU (only two currently, two recruits coming in). The purpose of this thread is NOT to dredge up that discussion.

Rather, during that discussion and other discussions on the QB situation several posters have wondered whether or not NDSU would be looking for a JUCO OR, looking at getting a quality transfer from a FBS school. Those kind of QBs are pursued hotly by many schools:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=410053

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/05/06/jacksonvillest.perrilloux.ap/index.html

When the Bison have a need, do you think the coaches will do the same and pursue a QB who has announced he is leaving a program?

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=409910

The real question is "Will NDSU ever be attractive to a big name QB transferring from a major school?" Yes, we got Tony Stauss from NW, but I wouldn't put him in the classification of a Rhett Bomar, or a Joe Flacoo. We all know what those two QBs are doing or did for the programs they transferred to. However, they chose their FCS schools largely because of proximity to where they grew up so their families could see them play. When you look at the list of schools pursuing Perrilloux or that he is talking to, it is apparent he too is looking at staying close to home.

So, do you think NDSU will ever pique the interest of a top shelf FBS QB transfer?

I'd want them to pursue a quarterback that's leaving an FBS program 'only' if it has to do with playing time.

Good article Neil. :nod:

silkamilkamonico
05-10-2008, 08:41 PM
I honestly don't think we will have many. Maybe the occasional ones, but the QB's that transfer usually do so to play.

They will never be guaranteed to start at NDSU, only the oppurtunity to compete for it. That's an immediate turnoff to a lot of QB transfers right there.

NDSU always has QB's in growth and development if they don't have a returning starter

I'm not big on transfers myself. Bomar and Flacco are exceptions, but a lot of times the QB's that do transfer are kicked off their team for some reason, want a guarantee without having to work for it, or just being asked to transfer.

4mcruenomore
05-11-2008, 05:04 AM
Ask any Griz fan, they didn't do so hot. I say NO to the transfers.

99Bison
05-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Will a QB transfer from FBS ever be interested in the Bison?
- yes
Will the Bison ever be interested in a QB transfer from FBS?
- yes

Will they match and become a Bison?
- probably someday

Will they turn out great for both?
- maybe

Jdubs21
05-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Ask any Griz fan, they didn't do so hot. I say NO to the transfers.

we are not the griz lol...to me a transfer is no different than a JUCO prospect, and well JUCO's have helped us a great deal the past few years

CaBisonFan
05-11-2008, 05:57 PM
we are not the griz lol...to me a transfer is no different than a JUCO prospect, and well JUCO's have helped us a great deal the past few years

I agree Jdubs. It's an individual by individual scenario. It all depends on the circumstances & the attitude of the player. If a transfer comes in and buys into the team concept, why not?

It certainly appears that we're thin at QB. A JUCO transfer or an FBS transfer would be welcome at this time. The depth chart isn't very deep.

I trust this group of coaches to know whether a potential transfer is coming for the right reasons -- and if he will be worth having around in terms of behavior & attitude.

It appears that Mertens is the starter, but it wouldn't hurt to have an experienced transfer on the depth chart. This hypothetical transfer would have to come realizing that a starting position must be earned within the Bison philosophy -- which likely will deter many potential transfers. But if one shows up -- he'll be here for the right reasons.

Herd
05-12-2008, 12:55 AM
When and if NDSU gets some national exposure with an FCS championship run, those chances will grow. For now, those chances are less likely.

TCBisonFan
05-12-2008, 01:12 AM
When and if NDSU gets some national exposure with an FCS championship run, those chances will grow. For now, those chances are less likely.

I agree chances will grow with a few playoff runs or if a kid from the Upper Midwest was ever in that sort of situation and wanted to stay around the area. Everything seems to be going fine though with recruiting HS Quarterbacks so I have no complaints with not going after some of these guys because they were dismissed from the other programs for good reasons in some cases. In others when they are looking for a chance to play though maybe let them know we are interested and I think they will be in time.

HerdBot
05-12-2008, 05:22 AM
Yes but only after having consistant success for about 5 years. We know we're good but the rest of the country doesn't.

When you think of D1-aa football - what comes to mind? I'm thinking Montana, Applalation, and Georgia Southern.

A National Championship will help the cause but being ranked in the top 10 year after year will do wonders.

Do you know what the biggest factor is? Bison football players having success in the NFL. Guys like Joe Mays and Drago will help. Guys like Dahl need to not only make the team but become successful. Guys like Frick and Steffes need to make a team. In time the more players who are drafted will help us land the big dogs.

bisonhusker
05-12-2008, 03:48 PM
I would guess we are watching the QB battles at U of M fairly closely. They have about 5 quarterbacks that I can think of that are either related to the coach, have already played fairly well as a freshman, are getting lost in the numbers game or is a 4 star recruit that is coming in. They are DEEP at a position where only one kid touches the field. Should be interesting. Plus, per Brewster on a radio show, none of them can play another position.

Bison101
05-12-2008, 10:11 PM

Now?

Now is our championship run, baby! :nod: :nod: :nod:

extremerouge
05-13-2008, 12:20 AM
I would guess we are watching the QB battles at U of M fairly closely. They have about 5 quarterbacks that I can think of that are either related to the coach, have already played fairly well as a freshman, are getting lost in the numbers game or is a 4 star recruit that is coming in. They are DEEP at a position where only one kid touches the field. Should be interesting. Plus, per Brewster on a radio show, none of them can play another position.
I agree Husker...it will be interesting to see how they juggle all of their QBs...

RunDMc34
05-13-2008, 05:16 AM
No doubt, its all a matter of who fits their system the best, along with the fact that I'm not sure any of the guys that would possibly leave would leave to go to NDSU, Weber being the only one who might.

I just don't see us getting many FBS transfers that will really help us out unless they already have some tie to the area

OldBison
05-13-2008, 05:10 PM

Do you actually think there is anyone recruited who can beat out Weber over the next 3 yrs? I doubt it, unless Weber gets hurt and has trouble winning the job back. I think he is just so far ahead of everyone else because of his experience.

bisonhusker
05-13-2008, 06:06 PM
The kid they just signed from Indianapolis is amazing. Like a top 3 dual threat QB in the nation. MVP of the Army game. I can't remember his name for some reason. He is going to redshirt from what I heard. He will win the job. Brewster's kid was a 4 star and has redshirted one year....so they have talent behind the current starter. Anything is possible. Plus, he is going to play a TON of young kids, so I think they will live with mistakes.

OldBison
05-13-2008, 06:12 PM
The kid they just signed from Indianapolis is amazing. Like a top 3 dual threat QB in the nation. MVP of the Army game. I can't remember his name for some reason. He is going to redshirt from what I heard. He will win the job. Brewster's kid was a 4 star and has redshirted one year....so they have talent behind the current starter. Anything is possible. Plus, he is going to play a TON of young kids, so I think they will live with mistakes.

I think you may be thinking of Marqueis Gray? Moses Alipate is coming in next fall apparently. So, you think Weber is a fit here?

A WR from Punky's first class at Minnesota is transferring to some other school:

http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/gophers/2008/05/12/news-and-notes/

I'mWithNOSIB
05-13-2008, 07:22 PM
In time the more players who are drafted will help us land the big dogs.

This is a big part of the truth. Most kids out of high school are going to persue their dreams to play in a bigger more exposed stadium. NDSU is on the rise but a lot of kids around the nation do not really know this.

The national exposure that we are playing for is ultimately what is going to get us top notch QB recruits.

FBS transfers will eventually make their way here but it is hard to sell to these players that they will have to earn the spot.

To me, I think the best approach is to not rely on someone's leftovers but develop your own talent. IMO.

WRSDBison
05-13-2008, 07:39 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Terrell Pryor the unanimous choice for the game's most valuable player with a game-high 79 yards rushing on 10 carries, to go along with 76 yards passing, giving him a total of a 155 yards of offense with two touchdowns?

CaBisonFan
05-15-2008, 06:41 AM
Hey everybody, let's get off the Potter article. How about if 'nobody' writes there anymore? Please :nod:

SamsRams
05-15-2008, 06:47 AM
I just don't see us getting many FBS transfers that will really help us out unless they already have some tie to the area

I agree 100%. Either the kid went to a big school and gets homesick......or the other thing that usually happens is someone dislikes his situation and his buddy on another team gets him to transfer there.

KC Bison
05-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Doesn't it seem that the Bison are a victim of their own success. A kid usually transfers out of a situation where he's not gettting to play. He wants to move to situation where he's more sure he can get playing time. How many kids look at the NDSU situation and wonder if they aren't going to improve their chances for playing time. How many QB's were going to transfer to NDSU over the last 4 years with Mr. Walker starting, knowing their chances were almost non-existent in replacing him. So instead, they move to teams where they're sure they can start.

BisonNeil
05-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Sometimes a player who transfers ends up paying dividends on the field but there can be costs associated with that production, which makes one wonder if it is worth it.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=415016