PDA

View Full Version : No charges for Swastikas

cbline
05-09-2008, 04:03 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/News/articles/200597

From the article: "The Grand Forks County State’s Attorney’s Office will not press charges against a UND student who reportedly drew a swastika on an apartment door in the school’s University Place apartment building. Assistant State’s Attorney Nancy Yon said, based on the evidence provided to her by UND Police, she did not think she could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the graffiti was drawn with the intent of harassing someone."

Does this mean that some students will think that swastikas should spring up like weeds around und? On the surface this may look like another case of inaction, but I am no lawyer. I am sure that Jewish students and others will be upset that no legal action will be pursued.

bisonmike2
05-09-2008, 04:36 PM

From the article: "The Grand Forks County State’s Attorney’s Office will not press charges against a UND student who reportedly drew a swastika on an apartment door in the school’s University Place apartment building. Assistant State’s Attorney Nancy Yon said, based on the evidence provided to her by UND Police, she did not think she could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the graffiti was drawn with the intent of harassing someone."

Does this mean that some students will think that swastikas should spring up like weeds around und? On the surface this may look like another case of inaction, but I am no lawyer. I am sure that Jewish students and others will be upset that no legal action will be pursued.

This is a lose/lose for UND and Grand Forks. They look like idiots by not pressing charges but at the same time that have to be realistic about trying to get a conviction. You could see the perp's defense on the horizon. You just know they were going to hide behind the freedom of speech defense which would be difficult to defeat. Of course this doesn't make the Jewish students affected by this feel any better and that's the real injustice.

Bison Dan
05-09-2008, 04:36 PM

I kind of disagree - If it's against the law then make a law saying that drawing swastikas is against the law.

bisonmike2
05-09-2008, 05:29 PM
I kind of disagree - If it's against the law then make a law saying that drawing swastikas is against the law.

I'm kind of confused as why they can't bust them on the graffiti? They did deface public property right? Plus there is a lot of hate law stuff out there now, this has to be against it. In my previous post, I was thinking that they drew the swastikas in a hallway or stairwell. I didn't know they drew it on a students door. How is that not directly intimidating someone?

bisonaudit
05-09-2008, 05:30 PM
They got Capone for tax evasion can't they at least get these people for vandalism?

<Posted same time as Dan.

They drew it on his door? I was assuming it was the stairwell door because I'd only heard about the stairwell incident. This is another one, and it was on a Jewish kid's door? Gotta agree with Dan. If those are the facts, that's clearly meant to send a specific message to a specific person (or group of people). I'm not real big on the idea of 'hate crimes' legislation but I think that's pretty clearly within the existing definition and even if such laws didn't exist you may be able to make an assault case out of that, maybe.>

Tatanka
05-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Wow. The Holiday Inn Express must have been full last night... :p

bisonaudit
05-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Wow. The Holiday Inn Express must have been full last night... :p

Touche. :)

Bison Dan
05-09-2008, 07:06 PM
They got Capone for tax evasion can't they at least get these people for vandalism?

<Posted same time as Dan.

They drew it on his door? I was assuming it was the stairwell door because I'd only heard about the stairwell incident. This is another one, and it was on a Jewish kid's door? Gotta agree with Dan. If those are the facts, that's clearly meant to send a specific message to a specific person (or group of people). I'm not real big on the idea of 'hate crimes' legislation but I think that's pretty clearly within the existing definition and even if such laws didn't exist you may be able to make an assault case out of that, maybe.>

When someone is harassed (and all have been at one time or another) I always remember what I was told by a teacher one time that I have in my power to either be insulted (offended) by which the harasser wins or to ignore the harassment in which case I win. I guess that's why I have such a thick skin about these things is I don't let things like that trouble me.

bisonmike2
05-09-2008, 07:54 PM
When someone is harassed (and all have been at one time or another) I always remember what I was told by a teacher one time that I have in my power to either be insulted (offended) by which the harasser wins or to ignore the harassment in which case I win. I guess that's why I have such a thick skin about these things is I don't let things like that trouble me.

Or you could kick their a$$, then you win and they lose.. But I guess that's why I have a criminal record. J/k...or am I? Don't push me, I've been playing GTA4 waaay to much lately and according to some Senators I am at risk of snapping and going on a mass murder/drug smuggling/pimping spree.

bisonaudit
05-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Or you could kick their a$$, then you win and they lose.. But I guess that's why I have a criminal record. J/k...or am I? Don't push me, I've been playing GTA4 waaay to much lately and according to some Senators I am at risk of snapping and going on a mass murder/drug smuggling/pimping spree.

drug running and mass murder aren't real high on my list but I'd pay good money to see what a 'pimping spree' looks like. I'm imagining a 'playa hater's ball' or 'playa hater's in time' sort of bit. I bet even Tipper Gore laughed at the 'playa hater's' sketches.

bisonmike2
05-09-2008, 08:34 PM
drug running and mass murder aren't real high on my list but I'd pay good money to see what a 'pimping spree' looks like. I'm imagining a 'playa hater's ball' or 'playa hater's in time' sort of bit. I bet even Tipper Gore laughed at the 'playa hater's' sketches.

It's hard to explain but when your in the middle of one you just "know". Oh, and if I ever start a band I am going to name it Pimpin' Spree.

TransAmBison
05-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Even bisonmike2's cat has got into the game! Chea!

Da Bison
05-10-2008, 12:48 AM
When asked to comment on this matter, Charles Kupchella said "he is out of town and unavailable for comment";)