PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Sioux Falls

THEsocalledfan
05-09-2008, 02:02 AM
Hello all,

For all who know me for real, I am moving to Sioux Falls in August or earlier. It was a hard decision and I will miss Duluth. Some important questions I need answered:

1. Do they get FSN North in Sioux Falls? Need to watch the Twins and Viking's Weekly....no, I don't watch it just for the host!

2. Are there any Bison fans there?

3. Does the newspaper cover the Bison at all or only the communists in Brookings?

4. Do SDSU folks riducule USD folks to a Tatanka level? (Tatanka level is hereby defined as smack on the God like scale since Tatanka is a living God. I will need to respect SDSU folks more if they have reached Tatanka level.)

5. What is fun to do in Sioux Falls?

6. What are the best bars?

7. What is the best resteraunt in town?

7. Will there be any Bulldog hockey fans in Sioux Falls?

Please respond to as many questions as you can. SD Bison, you still out there? Any other Bison is Sioux Falls?

Go_Herd
05-09-2008, 02:22 AM
Hello all,

1. Do they get FSN North in Sioux Falls? Need to watch the Twins and Viking's Weekly....no, I don't watch it just for the host!

3. Does the newspaper cover the Bison at all or only the communists in Brookings?

Please respond to as many questions as you can. SD Bison, you still out there? Any other Bison is Sioux Falls?

Former Resident of South Dakota, I've been to Sioux Falls too many times to count.

1. Yes you will find a package that will include FSN North

3. Hardly at all, maybe a big upset or playing regional teams like State. All the Argus Leader and Kelo-Land care about is Sioux Falls HS teams, USF and Augie. They hardly cover SDSU without Terry V there.

5. What do Sioux Falls residents due for fun--they complain about their traffic problems.

tjbison
05-09-2008, 03:17 AM
Former Resident of South Dakota, I've been to Sioux Falls too many times to count.

1. Yes you will find a package that will include FSN North

3. Hardly at all, maybe a big upset or playing regional teams like State. All the Argus Leader and Kelo-Land care about is Sioux Falls HS teams, USF and Augie. They hardly cover SDSU without Terry V there.

5. What do Sioux Falls residents due for fun--they complain about their traffic problems.

Thats a good one!!

bisonmike2
05-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Former SoDak and Sioux Falls resident. I liked Sioux Falls. It was a nice town and pretty good location. A day or less drive from the cities, St. Louis, Omaha, Kansas City or the Black Hills. Best part about moving to SoDak from Minnesota or No Dak. No state income tax and property taxes are less than NoDak and about the same as Minnesota. Very nice. My answers to your questions are in bold, hope they help.

Hello all,

For all who know me for real, I am moving to Sioux Falls in August or earlier. It was a hard decision and I will miss Duluth. Some important questions I need answered:

Yes they get FSN and Midcontinent is the cable provider. In my experience with cable companies these guys offer the best services and the lowest prices

2. Are there any Bison fans there?
Yes. I remember watching a Bison/Sioux game at a satellite party in Tea (just outside of Sioux Falls) with about 10 to 15 Bison fans

Some would argue they dont' even cover SDSU. That's changed with the arrival of T-Vac. When I was there the Argus seemed cover these universities in this order. Auggie, USF, Nebraska, USD, SDSU. The only way you'll get Bison info from the Argus is if they are playing the Jacks.

4. Do SDSU folks riducule USD folks to a Tatanka level? (Tatanka level is hereby defined as smack on the God like scale since Tatanka is a living God. I will need to respect SDSU folks more if they have reached Tatanka level.)
Not sure. I remember I went to a USD/SDSU football game with some friends that attended USD. I was shocked by the lack of smack and intensity at the game. IMO, it was very boring for a "rivalry" game.

If drinking is your thing here are my favorite bars in order. Nutty's Pub (empire mall), Papadox, Shenanigan's. SF really supports their minor league sports teams. Skyforce (basketball) Canaries(baseball), Storm (indoor football) and I can't remember the name of their hockey team. These are fun games to go to b/c they often have alot of people at them. There also used to be a waterpark and the westside of town called Wild Wild West. Nice place to go on a hot day. SF also has a really nice bike trail system. You could actually bike around the entire city on the trail if you wanted to. They also have a killer frisbee golf course at Tut hill, which turns into a killer downhill sledding hill in the winter.
6. What are the best bars?
See above.

7. What is the best resteraunt in town?
The Keg has really good broasted chicken. It has a couple locations in town. Minerva's on Minnesota ave is a pretty nice place to eat. Rio Bravo (mexican, it's a chain restaurant) is good and they have crazy cinco de mayo parties. They have a Cracker Barrell which is one of my favorites.
7. Will there be any Bulldog hockey fans in Sioux Falls?
Not sure

TheBisonator
05-10-2008, 01:56 AM
Why would you move to Sioux Falls when you could move to the F-M area??

What's your line of work??

sambini
05-10-2008, 02:00 PM
They have a SONIC....

THEsocalledfan
05-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Why would you move to Sioux Falls when you could move to the F-M area??

What's your line of work??

I am a very specialized pharmacist. My expertise is managing patients on complicated blood thinner regimens. There are no jobs in ND in my area (trust me, I have tried). I am currently a University of Minnesota faculty member. I am going to the Sanford Health System in Sioux Falls. They are doing really good things with the $400 million Sanford gave them. He makes old Ralphy look cheap!

Tatanka
05-10-2008, 03:10 PM
They have a SONIC....
a Sonic AND a Cracker Barrel?

:eek: It's hard to explain, but somehow Sioux Falls just moved up a notch or two on Tatanka's City In States That End In "A" Livability Indexä

If they also had an Imo's Pizza and a White Castle I'd be tempted to call U-Haul right now...

*Cue the "Son of Favorite Restaurant Thread" Hijack in 5....4......3.......

Bisonfan1
05-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Home of SDBison, he can answear all your questions. God help Sioux Falls, paint the town Bison green and gold.

SDbison
05-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Home of SDBison, he can answear all your questions. God help Sioux Falls, paint the town Bison green and gold.
Socalledfan, send me a PM with your phone number and I will fill you in on Sioux Falls. One thing you will miss out on here is big name entertainment coming to town and a nice night club. The 1960's vintage Sioux Falls Arena only holds 5500 and there is nothing like The Hub here. You are in the right field though. Even though Sioux Falls is a regional medical center just like Fargo the medical business owns the town. Instead of growing technology related companies Sioux Falls just adds another credit card processing center (there is nothing even close to Microsoft here). Also, most SDSU fans in Sioux Falls could give a crap about their university unless they beat NDSU. One other thing, most people here think Fargo Moorhead is not nearly as good of a community as Sioux Falls. Maybe I can agree the slightly harsher winters are a detriment, but with the colleges and bigger industrial / technology base, I give the FM area an edge.
P.S: Can't wait to get another Bison fan in the area. Maybe even car pool up to Fargo for games! Let me know when you are moving.

MN_BISON
05-10-2008, 07:43 PM
a Sonic AND a Cracker Barrel?

Just an FYI for all you Sonic fans out there, one is being built in Savage, MN on the corner of County 42 and Glendale.

bisonmike2
05-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Socalledfan, send me a PM with your phone number and I will fill you in on Sioux Falls. One thing you will miss out on here is big name entertainment coming to town and a nice night club. The 1960's vintage Sioux Falls Arena only holds 5500 and there is nothing like The Hub here. You are in the right field though. Even though Sioux Falls is a regional medical center just like Fargo the medical business owns the town. Instead of growing technology related companies Sioux Falls just adds another credit card processing center (there is nothing even close to Microsoft here). Also, most SDSU fans in Sioux Falls could give a crap about their university unless they beat NDSU. One other thing, most people here think Fargo Moorhead is not nearly as good of a community as Sioux Falls. Maybe I can agree the slightly harsher winters are a detriment, but with the colleges and bigger industrial / technology base, I give the FM area an edge.
P.S: Can't wait to get another Bison fan in the area. Maybe even car pool up to Fargo for games! Let me know when you are moving.

I would like to second the fact that you will not see quality musical acts roll through Sioux Falls, and even if they did come to the SF arena I would strongly recommend that you save your money or travel to Sioux City, Omaha, or Fargo. The SF arena is one of the worst places to see a concert. The acustics are equivalent to playing a really loud stereo in an empty Morton building.